Premier League Gameweek 21 (30th - 31st December 2017)

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
That's a penalty.
The opposing player got an advantage from using his arm.

Deliberate or not.

AndyJ1985

Refs are such a liability and shouldn't be handed so much responsibility. Use technology already ffs

el3mel

No chance in hell Arsenal are getting top 4 this season.

Sixth it's.

Utdstar01

Handball rule is such a joke.

The rule is deliberate. But the ones that are given are rarely, if ever, deliberate. That's never deliberate. Chambers cannot be expected to have his hands flat by his sides or behind his back there.

But it's Arsenal though, so LOL.
Agreed. Our referees are shit enough in the PL. May aswell just accept the fact all refs are shit and make the handball rule like it is in La Liga.

Canagel

I think it was a penalty. Yes it's unfortunate but his arm did come towards the ball slightly too. Not intentional an handball but still a penalty.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Never a red, but fantastic results this weekend from a Liverpool perspective. Long may it continue!

Jacko21

That Chambers penalty is precisely why players put both arms behind their back when defending one on ones.

Rajma

I think it was a penalty. Yes it's unfortunate but his arm did come towards the ball slightly too. Not intentional an handball but still a penalty.
Ours yesterday was more of the penalty and we didn't get it - no consistency with these shitshow refs

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
He raised his arm too.
You ever tried running at full speed and then stopping instantly with your hands behind your back? It's not easy as the momentum will carry you forward. His hands came in front to stop him clattering into Gibbs and balance himself and stop him falling forward. At that distance you can't call it deliberate or if thats the case then players should just aim for hands when crossing in the box to get a penalty.

Looking at it you can see he was trying to balance himself and wasn't going to handle the cross.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
How can anyone think that is a penalty. He’s a yard away and knows absolutely feck all about it. Arms are in a perfectly natural position for trying to defend. Forget the slow mo, he has no time to knowingly move his arm towards the ball. Joke decision

izec

Dont think thats a penalty. Handballs are more often than not no penalties for me. Close distance, no intention and his arms were not above his head or on the side, the ball would have hit him in the stomach anyway. Bad decision. A bit clumsy, but the rules are far too open for interpretation.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
VAR can't come soon enough... Joke of a decision.

mu4c_20le

You ever tried running at full speed and then stopping instantly with your hands behind your back? It's not easy as the momentum will carry you forward.
He wasn't at full speed, he had a chance to stop and put his hands behind his back. Instead he chose to deflect the ball.

Rajma

Why are people saying that's not a penalty ? If that was against us I'll be mad to not get called.
So all you need to do is target opposition hands in the penalty box? I dont think this one is a penalty as opposed to ours yesterday where he held his hands high and prevented a real danger, it was nothing like that here.

Charley Vincento

Supports
Liverpool
From Dean's angle, it looked to him as if Chambers stuck his arm out deliberately.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Looks a pen to me.

el3mel

So all you need to do is target opposition hands in the penalty box? I dont think this one is a penalty as opposed to ours yesterday where he held his hands high and prevented a real danger, it was nothing like that here.
Why is he that idiotic to keep his hands in front of him like this ? A B defending is to put your hands behind your back in such situations that the cross hit your chest and go out.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I thought it was a penalty and so was the one we didn't get against Southampton yesterday.

Referees are scared to give United a penalty at old trafford since Fergie retired for fear they will be hounded by the media

Irrational.

Cech is absolutely fuming. Stupid of the arseholes at SkySports to interview him so soon after he was booked. Zero professionalism and just taking advantage of a player when he's still pissed off.

Feel sorry for him.

el3mel

Because there's no chance it is a deliberate handling of the ball, and deliberate is the rule.

The inconsistency of the discretion being applied for non-deliberate handball is the issue. The rule needs rewriting.
How many deliberate hand balls in the box have we seen lately and got called a penalty ? Most of the hand balls can be considered not deliberate for me but still get called. The rule is flawed.

But it was their player's mistake to keep his hands that stupidly in front of him in such a situation. He should have had them behind their back. He has nothing but himself to blame.

It's B Rubble

Makes you wonder why we did NOT get that pen call yesterday. Is there a standard that these refs are held too?

Rafateria

Why have Spurs just skipped a round of fixtures?
They have two games in 3 days coming up. Not enough police due to NYE to police a full Wembley, Spurs (and one presumes West Ham) were given the option of a much reduced attendance or another date. They chose another date.