Premier League Gameweek 21 (30th - 31st December 2017)

mu4c_20le

What? How is that even the same thing?
What I got from your post is that all you cared about was the position of the arm being inline with the body. My point is that if the intent is to gain an advantage, ie knock the ball into the air or out of play, then its deliberate and a penalty. If it hit his body the ball could've fallen to the ground where Gibbs could take a shot or play it across the goal.

haram

What I got from your post is that all you cared about was the position of the arm being inline with the body. My point is that if the intent is to gain an advantage, ie knock the ball into the air or out of play, then its deliberate and a penalty. If it hit his body the ball could've fallen to the ground where Gibbs could take a shot or play it across the goal.
How is Chambers looking to gain an advantage there?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I am fecking fed up. We are shit, but the referee can't wait to feck us over.

Mike Dean has a fecking agenda against us. Can't wait until he retires. fecking cnut.
When you go back 6months and see how many late winners you've had, often after playing poorly, you have to suck the reverse up occasionally.

And stay a little further away from us, as we go into Everton, Burnley and Tottenham away over the next 4!

Rajma

Why is he that idiotic to keep his hands in front of him like this ? A B defending is to put your hands behind your back in such situations that the cross hit your chest and go out.
There's no consensus to be fair! Happy new year mate!

ash_86

Our penalty was claim yesterday was brushed off by both tv channels and social media. This is being talked about everywhere, why?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Well at least the City and Arsenal results help to put a little perspective on our recent results for those who have thrown in the towel. Sometimes a game just does not go your way.

And at least the pundits and media will now STFU about City's winning run. Refereeing has been poor so far this season and very inconsistent.

AlwaysRed66

Another shocking performance from Mike Dean. Should be struck of the Premiership list. Never a penalty, but doesn't surprise me as so many ridiculous decisions are made by refs regarding handball. Go back to the old days when penalties from hand ball were only given for offences when someone has deliberately stopped someone scoring with his arm, not if a ball is smashed into them and hit an arm or hand. I presume the people on here who think this was a good decision have never played football, because if they had they would know that there was no way Chambers could have avoided the ball hitting his arm. He was in a natural position, 1-2 yards away, & his brain wouldn't be able to make a decision regarding his body in that time. So many idiotic comments. The rule is supposed to be deliberate handball, but how many are deliberate is very small.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Our penalty was claim yesterday was brushed off by both tv channels and social media. This is being talked about everywhere, why?
Because one was the right decision, and the other one was wrong. A correct decision is hardly a talking point.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Was listening to Talksport earlier. The journalist Darren Lewis said he was amazed it wasn't a penalty. Also amazed that BT ref said it wasn't one.

ash_86

Was listening to Talksport earlier. The journalist Darren Lewis said he was amazed it wasn't a penalty. Also amazed that BT ref said it wasn't one.
Exactly, it was stonewall. BT ref made no sense since his hands were quite at unnatural position.

Rafateria

The rules are largely irrelevant to referees. They will make things up and run wild with their imagination when applying the rules. This is because refs are untouchable and have no accountability.

I think the only way refs will become better, is if football clubs band together and pressure them but it probably wont happen.
You're talking a load of utter bollocks. Referees are accountable and can lose fees by being dropped from the roster for a week or two or even dropped down to a lower division for a spell. Secondly they don't make things up .. they are human beings and are forced to make decisions with their only replay a memory version running through their brains, even then they don't always have a clear view or the benefit of multiple angles ... they certainly don't have the benefit of TV replays shown ad infinitum like you do. The game is simply too fast nowadays, and players are all fecking cheats anyway, so it's more than time for the authorities to introduce video replays - it works well most of the time in other sports no matter it's shortcomings.

Rafateria

Another shocking performance from Mike Dean. Should be struck of the Premiership list. Never a penalty, but doesn't surprise me as so many ridiculous decisions are made by refs regarding handball. Go back to the old days when penalties from hand ball were only given for offences when someone has deliberately stopped someone scoring with his arm, not if a ball is smashed into them and hit an arm or hand. I presume the people on here who think this was a good decision have never played football, because if they had they would know that there was no way Chambers could have avoided the ball hitting his arm. He was in a natural position, 1-2 yards away, & his brain wouldn't be able to make a decision regarding his body in that time. So many idiotic comments. The rule is supposed to be deliberate handball, but how many are deliberate is very small.
Whilst I agree with your comments on Chambers the definition of deliberate could also be interpreted as being in a position in which the player can reasonably expect the ball to hit it and for his team to gain an advantage from that .. as in away from the body or over his head. Not necessarily just a distinct movement towards the ball, which almost never happens actually.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
You're talking a load of utter bollocks. Referees are accountable and can lose fees by being dropped from the roster for a week or two or even dropped down to a lower division for a spell. Secondly they don't make things up .. they are human beings and are forced to make decisions with their only replay a memory version running through their brains, even then they don't always have a clear view or the benefit of multiple angles ... they certainly don't have the benefit of TV replays shown ad infinitum like you do. The game is simply too fast nowadays, and players are all fecking cheats anyway, so it's more than time for the authorities to introduce video replays - it works well most of the time in other sports no matter it's shortcomings.
I am often extremely angry at them, but yeah, what you said is what I believe as well. It's a tough job, I hope they do try to do their best.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Never a penalty

Nothing the defender could do there but Arsenal always get the rub of the green so happy to see them get one go against them

shoom

Supports
Arsenal
Appalling decision. He has to have his arms out because he's running and he has zero chance to get out of the way at that distance. A human beings reaction time is just not fast enough.

In typical Gibbs fashion he fcuked up the cross too. He was trying to hook it over his head, so even if he did think to anticipate in that split second where the ball might go there was nothing else he could have done. About as far from deliberate as you can get.

No surprise it's that weasel-faced attention seeker who gives it.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Couple of things. Chambers puts his arms suddenly in the air, just before the incident. Was a bit of a strange one. The intended cross was miskicked, and went downwards onto his now lowered arms. Harsh, to be fair, but not an utterly one-in-a-million obvious injustice. Just harsh, imo.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Couple of things. Chambers puts his arms suddenly in the air, just before the incident. Was a bit of a strange one. The intended cross was miskicked, and went downwards onto his now lowered arms. Harsh, to be fair, but not an utterly one-in-a-million obvious injustice. Just harsh, imo.
I think I agree, very harsh but you can see why it was given as Dien will have seen the arm move towards the ball, still not sure that VAR will stop these decisions

5red

Supports
Liverpool
On a different note, does anybody know why Spurs will only be playing game 21 a day after many teams, including Liverpool and Utd have already played game 22?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
First time I've seen the clip, and I wouldn't call that a harsh pen at all. No idea what he thought he was doing swinging his arms around like that, it was asking for trouble in his own box.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
First time I've seen the clip, and I wouldn't call that a harsh pen at all. No idea what he thought he was doing swinging his arms around like that, it was asking for trouble in his own box.
A lot of arm waving yea, that caught the ref's eye, and when you look from a certain angle, easy to see why it was blown up.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
For all the controversy, it’s not the worst decision of the season. Probably not the worst of the weekend either.

I mean, at least it hit him!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's debatable, but I think it's a penalty, because of how he moved his arms after it hit him, like he was trying to influence the ball's trajectory.

If I was Wenger, I'd be livid that Chambers didn't have any sense to put his arms to his sides while defending in his own penalty box. It's the sensible thing to do.