Premier League Gameweek 24 (20th - 22nd Jan 2018)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
And scoring far less goals than Alli has. The "world class" tag that United fans attach to him is a joke.
You might as well be comparing a left back with a right winger.

Alli does feck all other than feed off Kane’s scraps, dive and scrape his studs down the opponents shins.

marlowe78

Great result that for us. Arsenal and Tottenham dropping points meaning top 4 is looking good atm. We are 8 points ahead of Tottenham now and next league fixture is away to them. A draw wouldn't be a bad result tbh but with Wembley's open pitch and Sanchez hopefully signed, we should be going for the win.
I was just thinking that. We can beat them and should certainly try to beat them but a draw will also help us a lot, I would be completely happy with that kind of result.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
And scoring far less goals than Alli has. The "world class" tag that United fans attach to him is a joke.
You’re like an 8 year old whose only concept of football is goals.

Pogba was on that team to win midfield and create for others. Tevez and Llorente (when he used to be good) were the Alli and Kane of that team.

World class debates are tedious because everyone has a different definition.

Alli is a good level below Pogba in terms of ability. If you only grasp goals as a measure of a player you wouldn’t ever understand though.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You’re like an 8 year old whose only concept of football is goals.

Pogba was on that team to win midfield and create for others. Tevez and Llorente (when he used to be good) were the Alli and Kane of that team.

World class debates are tedious because everyone has a different definition.

Alli is a good level below Pogba in terms of ability. If you only grasp goals as a measure of a player you wouldn’t ever understand though.
OK, you don't like the unfavourable goals stats. How about assists since the date when Pogba joined United? Alli has more of those too.

Am I now like a 12 year old who only takes both goals and assists into account?

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
OK, you don't like the unfavourable goals stats. How about assists since the date when Pogba joined United? Alli has more of those too.

I’ve commented before that you seem to view the game like an accountant. I don’t think you have any appreciation of the nuances of the game. You could probably forgo watching the 90 minutes entirely and come making the same arguments having viewed a summary of the matches on WhoScored.

Pogba will regularly be the best player on the field, having not made a direct contribution to a goal. These are contributions that a bean counting football rainman wouldn’t grasp.

Your hang up on Pogba is pathetic. It’s even more ridiculous now Alli is having an extremely average season. And Spurs are slumping (the two aren’t unrelated). The disparity between current Alli and 21 year old Pogba looks fairly vast.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I’ve commented before that you seem to view the game like an accountant. I don’t think you have any appreciation of the nuances of the game. You could probably forgo watching the 90 minutes entirely and come making the same arguments having viewed a summary of the matches on WhoScored.

Pogba will regularly be the best player on the field, having not made a direct contribution to a goal. These are contributions that a bean counting football rainman wouldn’t grasp.

Your hang up on Pogba is pathetic. It’s even more ridiculous now Alli is having an extremely average season. And Spurs are slumping (the two aren’t unrelated). The disparity between current Alli and 21 year old Pogba looks fairly vast.
Spurs are into the CL group stages, thanks partly to Alli's double strike against Real Madrid. Come back to me when Pogba does the same.

Pogba is a good CM, occasionally outstanding, often average. The "vast" gap between Alli and Pogba is your delusion.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Spurs are into the CL group stages, thanks partly to Alli's double strike against Real Madrid. Come back to me when Pogba does the same.

Pogba is a good CM, occasionally outstanding, often average. The "vast" gap between Alli and Pogba is your delusion.
There it is, the goals argument again.

At Alli’s age Pogba was playing in a CL final. That’s much more impressive than qualifying from a group. And let’s be honest, every tom dick and harry is putting goals on Madrid this season. They’re barely in the CL spots in La Liga.

Over the season as a whole Alli is not having a good year.

juggernaut1986

According to your logic, is Alli better than Xavi and Iniesta too?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
There it is, the goals argument again.

At Alli’s age Pogba was playing in a CL final. That’s much more impressive than qualifying from a group. And let’s be honest, every tom dick and harry is putting goals on Madrid this season. They’re barely in the CL spots in La Liga.

Over the season as a whole Alli is not having a good year.
That's a team achievement. Team achievements are what posters usually fall back on when they wish to escape discussing an individual player: Vardy has a league winner's medal, but that doesn't make him world class.

I'll agree with you that, so far at least, Alli is not playing as well as last season. But then he's still only 21 - young and learning and all that, and teams pay much closer attention to him now (which frees up other Spurs players, like Son).

The way that some posters on here talk about Alli, it's like he's failing if he doesn't perform in every match like Lampard at his peak.

AR87

Age doesn't matter. If you take only goals and assists into account then Xavi and Iniesta cannot be considered world class even in their prime. These stats are meaningless when evaluating central midfielders.
Does anybody really think that offered a choice between 21 year old Pogba or Alli every top club in the world would pick Pogba? If somebody doesn't want to accept that it's just not a worthwhile argument to have.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Age doesn't matter. If you take only goals and assists into account then Xavi and Iniesta cannot be considered world class even in their prime. These stats are meaningless when evaluating central midfielders.
Of course age matters, otherwise we'd be comparing 17 year-old prospects with players in their prime.

And nor do I only take goals and assists into account. Anybody with an eye and an unbiased view can see that Alli has bucket-loads of talent, coupled with drive and determination ... two qualities that Pogba needs more of.

AR87

Of course age matters, otherwise we'd be comparing 17 year-old prospects with players in their prime.

And nor do I only take goals and assists into account. Anybody with an eye and an unbiased view can see that Alli has bucket-loads of talent, coupled with drive and determination ... two qualities that Pogba needs more of.
lol "drive and determination"......two unquantifiable qualities. How convenient.

RooneyLegend

Since Son has been in fine form, Alli is playing behind him and Kane in some version of an attacking mid role which he clearly isn't suited for, he simply hasn't got the skill set for such. They need to decide, either they bench him or Son. Playing with both is a train-wreck in any match that's competitive. Of course they'll do well vs the Everton's of this world, but against a team that'll turn it into a technical battle its a recipe for disaster.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol: @GlastonSpur always come up with this goals and assists arguments when comparing CM to Attacking mid and then runs away even asked about Herrera and Dembele - Wanyama.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
That's a team achievement. Team achievements are what posters usually fall back on when they wish to escape discussing an individual player: Vardy has a league winner's medal, but that doesn't make him world class.

I'll agree with you that, so far at least, Alli is not playing as well as last season. But then he's still only 21 - young and learning and all that, and teams pay much closer attention to him now (which frees up other Spurs players, like Son).

The way that some posters on here talk about Alli, it's like he's failing if he doesn't perform in every match like Lampard at his peak.
That would be true if he didn’t also pick up a boatload of individual recognition, including multiple individual awards at domestic, European and international level, on top of the medals.

The way you go on you’d think Pogba was a bit part player in that Juventus side. In fact he was one of their most important players. It was embarrassingly obvious when you were making these arguments last year that you’d very likely only seen Pogba play a handful of times (for France). And even then you probably only checked his performance on WhoScored for goals and assists.

Meanwhile Alli - stagnation, no European or international recognition, and bleak situation at club level. The upside for you is that he’s playing so poorly and so lacking in maturity, that even if Spurs only get EL football (which seems likely), other clubs are unlikely to pursue him extensively.

jungledrums

Wouldn't Spurs qualifying for the round of 16 also be considered a team achievement? I know you stated that it was "thanks partly to Alli's double strike against Real Madrid" that Spurs qualified for the round of 16, but couldn't one therefore make the same argument of Pogba, that Juve made the CL final "thanks partly to Pogba's performances in the CL that season"?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I can only see a convincing Liverpool win, Swansea are absolutely gash. Hopefully, Karius let's in a soft goal or Liverpool don't have their shooting boots on.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Would have gone with Lallana for Gini in this game but still a strong side. Dearth of quality options in attacking areas off the bench though.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Would have gone with Lallana for Gini in this game but still a strong side. Dearth of quality options in attacking areas off the bench though.
Salah is enough for Liverpool, he's that good this season.

Shark

@NotShark
Liverpool are playing worse than us on Saturday against a better team on the road, but nobody will say anything because it's Klopp.