Premier League Gameweek 26

Water Melon

City are just miles ahead of us and near enough every other team in Europe bar one or two teams.

I fear for us next week despite the bus we'll park.

They seem to play in second gear until its necessary to change up.
They won't sweat much. Ole will park the bus and hope for a lucky counter. Chelsea game is extremely important tomorrow. Lose it and it could go downhill from there. City is a loss and West Ham are no pushovers either. Wont be surprised if we find ourselves in 4th or below after 3-4 games. Will be pleasantly surprised should we end up being runner-ups come end of May.

sparx99

The way City are playing at the moment, it takes away the whole concept of competition from the game. They are so superior.
I still struggle to wrap my head around it.

Zinchenko would be a weak link for us. Fernandinho doesn’t seem to age. They’ve coped despite Aguero not scoring and being injured. Gabriel Jesus doesn’t seem that great or score all that much.

Man for man I’m not sure their squad is better than ours. Not by the the margin we are seeing. Which leads to the conclusion that Guardiola is the main difference maker.

Is there any coaches worth going for who could elevate us to that level? I’m not sure tbh. Obviously Nagelsmann is talked about and the job Flick has done at Bayern is amazing. I’d half love to see Bielsa just for the experience of it.

Guy Incognito

The moment the ban got overturned knew city may go on to win the CL. It is bound to happen.
Yeah but I don't feel that 'inevitability' I did with Chelsea. They may have to suffer again. :devil:

In the grand scheme of things they've already won the league so the winning run doesn't prove anything. We knew they were capable of that. And as for unbeaten runs, the moment you lose a match, they'll struggle to find momentum. Just see Real in 2017, Arsenal in 04, and Liverpool now for examples.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah they are literally in a league of their own with us, Chelsea, Leicester and the other top 4 contenders in the next mini league scrapping it out behind them and that really pains me to admit
“Literally in a league of their own..with us”

Love it!

AshRK

Part of me just wants them to get it over and done with so Pep fecks off/their project is "complete" :lol:
I don't think he will leave. This has become his comfort level. He will get to spend millions, there is little media pressure, there are no ex legends putting pressure on him like in Bayern. He will only leave when he is actually bored.

croadyman

I don't think he will leave. This has become his comfort level. He will get to spend millions, there is little media pressure, there are no ex legends putting pressure on him like in Bayern. He will only leave when he is actually bored.
Yeah that is the sad reality for the rest of this league

James35

As long as City are continuously backed financially (dodgy ffp included) and run on and off the field as efficiently as now, I can honestly see them catching up to our 13 Premier League titles within the next decade or so.

Unfortunately as long as we continue with the same owners and board it will continue to rule us out of any serious challenge.

All my opinion of course but I honestly believe it.

Hoof the ball

Imagine being able to rest your 55m centre half for another 55m centre half in a champions league knockout game. As well as many other examples of high end like for like.

This is the time of year normal clubs find difficult rotating through. I think people underestimate just how much of a difference this is for city its absolutely ridiculous
Isn't our spending in the last ten years not that much less than City's?

AshRK

Yeah but I don't feel that 'inevitability' I did with Chelsea. They may have to suffer again. :devil:

In the grand scheme of things they've already won the league so the winning run doesn't prove anything. We knew they were capable of that. And as for unbeaten runs, the moment you lose a match, they'll struggle to find momentum. Just see Real in 2017, Arsenal in 04, and Liverpool now for examples.
I hope you are correct but unless pep screws himself City for me are the favorites.

Manncunian

I honestly think this will be his last managerial stint at club level. Where else would he go? Bottomless purse, little pressure from club legends as you say.

Hopefully he struggles to keep up with the game like Jose, but I don’t see it. And worryingly, I think he will be with City for at least another decade, if not longer. Could he knock us off our perch?

I also think he’s pretty content living in Manchester. Has his own restaurant for something on the side too. Not showing signs of a short term affair.

croadyman

As long as City are continuously backed financially (dodgy ffp included) and run on and off the field as efficiently as now, I can honestly see them catching up to our 13 Premier League titles within the next decade or so.

Unfortunately as long as we continue with the same owners and board it will continue to rule us out of any serious challenge.

Nah you are absolutely right and it's so sad to see

sparx99

Don’t confuse spending with good spending. Top clubs have always spent the most but we’ve consistently wasted money in the last 10 years.

SER19

This point always seems to be raised as if Uniteds huge failure in the years post Ferguson mitigates the point about City. Do you need me to qualify it and say they've spent the 1.8 billion of dubai money well? They've spent it well. Also, their current manager has spent 850m. Uniteds current manager isn't accountable for what was spent before him

croadyman

Their starting bench today was basically a league winning side. It’s like playing FM on cheat mode. The football is good of course but the winning is soulless all the way. There’s 0 margin for error.
Yeah that is a very apt comparison indeed and so disheartening for the rest

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Their starting bench today was basically a league winning side. It’s like playing FM on cheat mode. The football is good of course but the winning is soulless all the way. There’s 0 margin for error.
Suppose that's what you get when every player in the squad costs £50m, it's ridiculous that it's been allowed to go on like it has, now they're also hoovering up clubs across the continent. It's that sort of thing that may eventually put me off football.
Guardiola alone has spent £800m at City, there's probably not much difference in net spend due to some of their sales but their actual spend is disgusting. We've definitely spent more than enough to have won a couple of titles though.

Hoof the ball

City have spent 568m in the last five seasons.
United have spent 498m in the last five seasons.

For all the dust being kicked about City's spending, we're only around 70m shy of their expenditure in the market.

VivaRonaldo85

In the blink of an eye, City 13 points clear and title over in February.

The strength in depth of their squad is astounding. Sterling, Foden, Bernardo & Jesus all on the bench today and to rub it in, their centre backs score the winning goals.

Inigo Montoya

I still struggle to wrap my head around it.

Zinchenko would be a weak link for us. Fernandinho doesn’t seem to age. They’ve coped despite Aguero not scoring and being injured. Gabriel Jesus doesn’t seem that great or score all that much.

Man for man I’m not sure their squad is better than ours. Not by the the margin we are seeing. Which leads to the conclusion that Guardiola is the main difference maker.

Is there any coaches worth going for who could elevate us to that level? I’m not sure tbh. Obviously Nagelsmann is talked about and the job Flick has done at Bayern is amazing. I’d half love to see Bielsa just for the experience of it.
Nagelsman or Rose for sure. You’re right that their squad is not ‘more talented’ but better drilled than ours. They don’t make the silly mistakes or lose concentration at crucial times. They do also play it simple compared to a lot of ours who play too many Hollywood passes. Watching this game, the short game has been very precise, unspectacular. Just not giving the ball away cheaply

AshRK

It's not just spending money but spending it correctly. Ole wanted a cb and Rw this season but he didn't get them. But technically we did spend money on a young 18 year old so it looks like Ole was backed. Pep wanted a cb amd he got it actually got two if you include 40m ake. Next season he will want a forward and he will get it, not some 18 year old unproven guy and expect him to score goals. We have spent millions but we also have dithered and failed to capitalize when needed. This was the season we should have gone all out and spent on sancho and a cb. Now we would have to do anyways this summer. We always end up playing catch up to city be it on hiring a good coach or signing quality players.

Water Melon

I just hope that Glazers will see that there the cow is getting old now and not good enough to milk it endlessly, so they will sell. New owners will have to cough up a lot of money also realizing that the only return on their investment would be dethroning the noisy neighbours as the dominant team in England.

Inigo Montoya

For all the dust being kicked about City's spending, we're only around 70m shy of their expenditure in the market.
We’ve over spent on one or two

croadyman

Nagelsman or Rose for sure. You’re right that their squad is not ‘more talented’ but better drilled than ours. They don’t make the silly mistakes or lose concentration at crucial times. They do also play it simple compared to a lot of ours who play too many Hollywood passes. Watching this game, the short game has been very precise, unspectacular. Just not giving the ball away cheaply
Will they still be on the market when Ole's rebuild eventually ends though

sparx99

I don’t want to net spend etc. But our biggest singings have been mostly huge mistakes. Lukaku would be in that buy figure while not playing for us anymore.

Bruno is so noticeable for us as the first signing in ages that is an unequivocal success.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

They've spent £800m since Guardiola arrived. Their net spend is £568m, not their overall spend.

Pep's Suit

Think City were missing Sterling / Bernardo's work-rate and Cancelo's creativity today.