g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Premier League Gameweek 3

el3mel

They also have a far better squad than us.

Its a mix of crap squad depth, difficult circumstances and the coaching. Its not all on the coach to magic up a solution.
First I'm not blaming the manager alone, but we prepared the worst for the upcoming season than any other team, and we seem to be the one struggling most with fitness among other clubs too, even though we all got a similar period of rest and the ones who progressed more in Europe got an additional week off, so no bonus for a team ahead of other.

7 players from the team City played against Lyon played against Wolves last week, and most of the changes were in the defensive lineup. Midfield and attack are nearly the same. Yes they have better squad than us, but not like they're fielding a completely different team each week.

TheLord

Chelsea need one more defensive reinforcement, it seems - a right-back would be fine, a centre-back would be good.
And that's assuming Mendy is much better than Kepa/Willy.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This is the best attacking West Brom I've seen but like Norwich last season that attacking play won't last for long when you literally can't defend
They were actually well known for playing good attacking football until Pulis got his hands on them.

Under Mowbray especially they were very good to watch.

Drainy

They had Augero out for 3 months, Laporte/Mahrez unavailable from covid on top. So their best striker and their best CB both out, playing a midfielder in central defense.
In the Prem they have played one game where, like OMG they had to play one £50m centre back instead of another, what a travesty and they had to Jesus who usually plays most games anyway.

They have better players and a better squad because they have grown their squad over may years to be how they want it for a style of football, while we are haphazard in the transfer market. Ole isn't as good of a coach as Pep of course, so I am not saying that but Ole isn't being helped by the board or the quality of the squad.

Also Wolves have had a delayed end to the season too...

PoTMS

The conversation was about Lampard in the football forum and YES you are wrong.
Are you that dense you can't see the similarities and comparisons between the two? They are both clearly not good enough. Why not bring up Ole especially after that dreadful performance today fresh in the memory? Again this is a United forum, first and foremost.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Indeed. "don't fall over" must be lacking from his teamtalks.
You don’t always have to be narky with me :)

You are posting with the air of a Chelsea fan who feels hard done by.

All I am saying is that perhaps your coaching team might want to address the frequent mishaps that cost you valuable points.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In the Prem they have played one game where, like OMG they had to play one £50m centre back instead of another, what a travesty and they had to Jesus who usually plays most games anyway.

They have better players and a better squad because they have grown their squad over may years to be how they want it for a style of football, while we are haphazard in the transfer market. Ole isn't as good of a coach as Pep of course, so I am not saying that but Ole isn't being helped by the board or the quality of the squad.

I'm not buying rubbish reasoning like "they had more squad depth".

We had a team that had more than enough quality to dispatch of Crystal Palace at OT and looked far off the boil. Even if McTominay did come in for Matic, and TFM did come in from Wan Bissaka, we should have been far far more sharp and energetic than we were. City weren't just sharp because they had quality in depth - that's such an odd reason to state. Jesus had the same rest as Martial, Fernandinho had the same rest as Maguire. Foden was deployed predominantly working on the right side to help the side in a tweaked formation, and whats more, they played against a far harder team to beat than we did.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Burnley have 5 ManUtd academy players in their starting 11.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
City were in similar position to us and did fine at the start of the league. They even have injuries.
City were poor too, they also had the added benefit of playing another of the teams who missed out on a decent pre-season.

Drainy

First I'm not blaming the manager alone, but we prepared the worst for the upcoming season than any other team, and we seem to be the one struggling most with fitness among other clubs too, even though we all got a similar period of rest and the ones who progressed more in Europe got an additional week off, so no bonus for a team ahead of other.

The league ended for every club bar Manchester United, Wolves and Man City on 26 July 2020. We lost to Sevilla on 17 August.

We lost out on 3 weeks worth of off season compared to others an extra week doesn't cut it ffs. We only had time for 1 game before the season started, while everyone else could use the additional time to rest and then return and prepare.

dev1l

Biggest problem ole has over pep is getting the squad he wants. Pep basically had almost an open cheque - he can almost sign and sell anyone he wants to. More over city are very efficient in.shifting players.

Ole inherited a squad full of deadwood - he moved some of it but he s finding hard to move the rest due to the board refusing to lower prices. So we re stuck with a bloated squad which still includes deadwoods. And we take ages to sign or sell a player

Drainy

I'm not buying rubbish reasoning like "they had more squad depth".

We had a team that had more than enough quality to dispatch of Crystal Palace at OT and looked far off the boil. Even if McTominay did come in for Matic, and TFM did come in from Wan Bissaka, we should have been far far more sharp and energetic than we were. City weren't just sharp because they had quality in depth - that's such an odd reason to state. Jesus had the same rest as Martial, Fernandinho had the same rest as Maguire. Foden was deployed predominantly working on the right side to help the side in a tweaked formation, and whats more, they played against a far harder team to beat than we did.
Ok don't buy it, its not my job to convince you of reality. They have a better squad than us and therefore can expect better results, seems a fair assessment to me, but obviously not to you.

Also, you seem to ignore the point taht Wolves also had a delayed end to the season... they were both in the same boat on the opening day.

Drainy

Biggest problem ole has over pep is getting the squad he wants. Pep basically had almost an open cheque - he can almost sign and sell anyone he wants to. More over city are very efficient in.shifting players.

Ole inherited a squad full of deadwood - he moved some of it but he s finding hard to move the rest due to the board refusing to lower prices. So we re stuck with a bloated squad which still includes deadwoods. And we take ages to sign or sell a player
Which is the point I am struggling to get people to understand when comparing Ole to others.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The league ended for every club bar Manchester United, Wolves and Man City on 26 July 2020. We lost to Sevilla on 17 August.
Chelsea lost to Bayern on 08/08 (9 days before you lost to Sevilla), which does make a difference but you started 5 days after us so only a 4 day difference in terms of time off and preparation.

I do think that's still unfair but not sure what else they could've done.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ok don't buy it, its not my job to convince you of reality. They have a better squad than us and therefore can expect better results, seems a fair assessment to me, but obviously not to you.

Also, you seem to ignore the point taht Wolves also had a delayed end to the season... they were both in the same boat on the opening day.
What the feck are you on about? The reality is we had more than enough quality to dispatch of Palace, so your point about City having squad depth is just laughable.

In fact it's even more laughable when you point to their £50m defender, and then forget that we played an unfit Pogba and left our £40m signing on the bench, before asking him to momentarily bail us out in the second half.

Today's performances proves it further. Ole said pre match the players have addressed the shortcomings and should look fitter, and we actually looked worse than we were 7 days ago. Clearly something is fecked and needs addressing by our manager.

Drainy

Chelsea lost to Bayern on 08/08 (9 days before you lost to Sevilla), which does make a difference but you started 5 days after us so only a 4 day difference in terms of time off and preparation.

I do think that's still unfair but not sure what else they could've done.
Sorry I had actually forgotten about that since you were pretty much already out before the second leg.

el3mel

We lost out on 3 weeks worth of off season compared to others an extra week doesn't cut it ffs. We only had time for 1 game before the season started, while everyone else could use the additional time to rest and then return and prepare.
City played Lyon on 15 Aug. They got a similar period of rest to us, and played more than half of the team that played against Lyon and against a tougher opponent away from home. We started the season on 9/19 and City 9/21.

Chelsea finished the season on 8/8 and started their season 9/14. So Chelsea finished the season one week before us and started the current one about a week before us too. It's nearly the same period of rest.

dev1l

What the feck are you on about? The reality is we had more than enough quality to dispatch of Palace, so your point about City having squad depth is just laughable.

In fact it's even more laughable when you point to their £50m defender, and then forget that we played an unfit Pogba and left our £40m signing on the bench, before asking him to momentarily bail us out in the second half.
According to your logic, best team will win all games because it s players are better than that of any opponent.

Withnail

This is why you can't compare Ole with Lampard. Lampard has actually shown he's capable of coaching attacking patterns and implementing a style of football. It's their shite defence which has let them down.
Of course not being able to implement a system which includes being good defensively isn't a coaches job?

Drainy

But Palace were sharper because they had a proper preseason relative to ours.

We don't have as much quality as City do to overcome the sharpness disadvantage, as well as Man City being at less of a disadvantage because they were also playing against a club that had a similar end to last season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have an irrational hate for West Brom. Spent a lot of time there as well when I was younger but I just can’t stand them

Drainy

City played Lyon on 15 Aug. They got a similar period of rest to us, and played more than half of the team that played against Lyon and against a tougher opponent away from home. We started the season on 9/19 and City 9/21.

Chelsea finished the season on 8/8 and started their season 9/14. So Chelsea finished the season one week before us and started the current one about a week before us too. It's nearly the same period of rest.
Again City have more quality in depth played against a club who also had a delayed end to the season.

Ok, yes and Chelsea played poorly by all accounts, lucky for them they won against Brighton (just like we have...)