Premier League Gameweek 30-32

rajds89

So winning the ball is no longer enough to overturn a penalty.. disgraceful decision.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I give up man. That's actually a pretty good tackle from a winger. Took plenty of the ball.

Why do we even have VAR?

Bobski

I thought if you win the ball it’s not a foul, unless it’s a dangerous tackle or similar? How is it that football rules are so opaque or ambiguous?
Does getting a light touch on the ball constitute winning it? If the follow through does not wipe him out the attacker still has possession of the ball.

BarryWinks

Lamptey's an idiot. No need for that tackle in the box. Could have stood his ground and Jesus wouldn't have done much with that.

eire-red

The rules thicken. Is there now a certain threshold of contact you need to get on the ball? Understandable only if it's a reckless or dangerous tackle.

Beachryan

I mean, I want Arsenal to win here so fine, but Lamptey takes the ball out of Jesus' path there, and it's simply not a foul. You're allowed to make contact after you take a ball, as long as it's not dangerous.

That's a pretty decent tackle.

I've no issue with the ref giving it. But what is VAR for if not that?

Nickelodeon

Will say it again. The only clear and obvious thing should be the penalty, not the error within referee’s decision. Another shocking decision today given in the name of the clear and obvious error or lack thereof. They’re just legitimising diving now.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The direction football is headed in is not good at all. There is so much diving week in week out from all teams and then refs are helping them by giving penalties like that one

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think this one is a pen mate
I really don't think so but I'd say Lamptey is an idiot throwing himself like that when he had a teammate next to him anyway.

Lamptey's an idiot. No need for that tackle in the box. Could have stood his ground and Jesus wouldn't have done much with that.
This. Sometimes defenders are really asking for the ref to make a decision

No Love

I’m sorry, but it’s not enough to just naively throw yourself in and commit to challenges in the box, hope to get a touch of the ball before clearing out the man and then say, “I won the ball.” You need to be more intelligent and clued in than that. The game has changed way too much to think you’ll get away with that.

It's B Rubble

If Lee Dixon doesn’t think it’s a pen with his arse tinted glasses, im inclined to agree with him for once.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Will say it again. The only clear and obvious thing should be the penalty, not the error within referee’s decision. Another shocking decision today given in the name of the clear and obvious error or lack thereof. They’re just legitimising diving now.
It’s ridiculous, how do we know that the ref saw him clip the ball there and that wouldn’t have changed his decision

Rojofiam

How any so called fan wants us to finish lower is beyond me.
It's not about ten Hag's future for me.

Obviously I want CL football next season, but it's incredibly unlikely now.

I'd like to be in the Europa League next season, as I think we'll be overwhelming favorites if we sign 4-6 new players this summer, which is within the realms of possibility.

However, I'd rather take no European football and finish 9th over the Conference League. With less games to play and those potential 4-6 new arrivals, we could have a really good season in 24/25 and surprise everyone.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I’m sorry, but it’s not enough to just naively throw yourself in and commit to challenges in the box, hope to get a touch of the ball before clearing out the man and then say, “I won the ball.” You need to be more intelligent and clued in than that. The game has changed way too much to think you’ll get away with that.
You're right, you can't even expect referees to use common sense anymore. Defending has become very very hard

Beachryan

I wonder how many actual goals there would be in a season if they changed the rules for a penalty only if it's a clear goal-scoring opportunity. Obviously will never happen, but penalties are such a ridiculously harsh, ahem, penalty for challenges like that one.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I would like to hear a proper explanation as to why the Doku incident from City Liverpool wasn't a penalty while this one was as the Doku one seemed to be far more reckless/ dangerous.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Does getting a light touch on the ball constitute winning it? If the follow through does not wipe him out the attacker still has possession of the ball.
True, I wouldn’t say he won the ball. Jesus looked favourite to get to the ball after that touch anyway, and clearly the follow-through impeded him from getting it. But I just had it in my head that if you touch the ball, it’s not a foul, and that’s only ever superseded by violent or dangerous play. Was that rule of thumb not true?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That's why I think for every single pen decision, they should rewatch on the VAR telly, if after that he maintains his decision then fair enough
I think there needs to be an appreciation for how big a penalty is in football. If they stipulated that refs had to watch it then that would take the stigma out of if they go to the screen it means they have to overturn it

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I don't think you know the rules.
Stonewall

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

verb
  1. delay or obstruct (a request, process, or person) by refusing to answer questions or by being evasive.
    "she has also stonewalled queries about her love life"
noun
  1. an act of delaying or obstructing a person, request, or process.
    "I have repeatedly given him the opportunity to clear this matter up, but the estate has met with stonewall after stonewall"

eire-red

I've no idea what you're implying here. Like, if he doesn't get the ball it's a pen. Here, he gets the ball and looks like after that touch Adingra may have a chance of reaching it.

Are we going to start giving fouls and pens because defenders shouldn't make that tackle, even though they win the ball?