Premier League Gameweek 30-32

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Knew the cafe would bitterly protest that a guy skimming a ball but taking the man out wasn't a pen.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think there needs to be an appreciation for how big a penalty is in football. If they stipulated that refs had to watch it then that would take the stigma out of if they go to the screen it means they have to overturn it
I don't see it would lessen its importance. It would a better sense of the situation for the ref.
Going to the screens doesn't mean they will overturn it necessarily.

mu4c_20le

Would make little difference. He touched the ball, didn't win the ball. Big difference.
Does the wording specifically state you have to win the ball? And do you have to gain possession? Because one could argue he dispossessed Jesus and then took him out with the follow through without endangering him.

eire-red

Seems a bit harsh if you're a defender. The slightest of touches constitute a foul now, but the slightest of touches on the ball doesn't get the same treatment.

Bobski

If that happens tomorrow with Garnacho every Utd fan would say pen.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
You'd be moaning if that was given against you though wouldn't you?
Honestly, no i wouldn't. Glazing the ball and taking out the player's leg is a pen. Jesus often exagerate and is prone to diving but this is a very tame one. He definitely got hit with enough force to warrant a foul.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Seems a bit harsh if you're a defender. The slightest of touches constitute a foul now, but the slightest of touches on the ball doesn't get the same treatment.
Slightly grazing the ball doesn't mean anything, it's about winning it. Jesus still has possession if he doesn't get cleaned out.

If the defender gets enough of the ball to actually dispossess Jesus, it's not a pen.

rajds89

Pointless to moan about ref decision. If the team is good enough then it will find a way to score.
Right.. I'll bookmark this for future use.

Also, what utter cobblers these "experts" are chatting. He gets enough on the ball to alter the direction.. it shouldn't matter whether Jesus would have been able to get on to the end of it.. that's the point of winning the ball isn't it? The more you see it the worse it is.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Also, what utter cobblers these "experts" are chatting. He gets enough on the ball to alter the direction.. it shouldn't matter whether Jesus would have been able to get on to the end of it.. that's the point of winning the ball isn't it? The more you see it the worse it is.
You can search my comment history to see if I ever moan about ref decision. No need to book mark.

eire-red

Slightly grazing the ball doesn't mean anything, it's about winning it. Jesus still has possession if he doesn't get cleaned out.

If the defender gets enough of the ball to actually dispossess Jesus, it's not a pen.
It's not as black and white as you make it out to be. Lamptey's touch does knock the ball out of Jesus' stride slightly and it's entirely feasible Adingra can reach it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Honestly, I’ll be accused of being biased but that’s a stonewall penalty for me, and I’d say that if it was against my team as well.
There’s been plenty of occasions players have tackled and got slight touches on the ball but wipe a player out and a penalty is given.

You just can’t get a slight touch while wiping a player out.

TheGame

It's not about ten Hag's future for me.

Obviously I want CL football next season, but it's incredibly unlikely now.

I'd like to be in the Europa League next season, as I think we'll be overwhelming favorites if we sign 4-6 new players this summer, which is within the realms of possibility.

However, I'd rather take no European football and finish 9th over the Conference League. With less games to play and those potential 4-6 new arrivals, we could have a really good season in 24/25 and surprise everyone.
I agree with you however think we could play reserves in the Conference if it came to that.

eire-red

Honestly, I’ll be accused of being biased but that’s a stonewall penalty for me, and I’d say that if it was against my team as well.
There’s been plenty of occasions players have tackled and got slight touches on the ball but wipe a player out and a penalty is given.

You just can’t get a slight touch while wiping a player out.
I think it's pretty harsh, we're talking fractions of a second really. How much more contact would deem that an "OK" tackle? It's very subjective.

Imagine Zinckenko gives that away on Garnacho and it costs you the title. Maybe you have much better control of your emotions than me, but I'd be absolutely sickened.

CoopersDream

Does the wording specifically state you have to win the ball? And do you have to gain possession? Because one could argue he dispossessed Jesus and then took him out with the follow through without endangering him.
The ball was very close to Jesus, and it's entirely feasible he'd get first to it. It's no different from if he had a slighty bad touch and Lamptey just took him out without touching the ball.

E-mal

It is embarrassing from Ben White, if Bruno did that we won’t here the end of it

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If that was a South American we'd hear about it being cutural....

VivaJesperBlomqvist

People in here actually debating the pen? :confused: Jesus (pun intended) it was an obvious pen ffs.

Also, come on Arsenal! Anyone but City and Pool. Nice to see a proper club back on top.