Premier League Gameweek 34-35

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
What happened?
To me it looked like Palmer was shaking hands with officials (and maybe having a word) so not sure if coaches were worried he’d say something OR were trying to stop him shaking hands.

In hindsight, might be latter which is truly pathetic.

Shit club… which is good as one more that somehow finishes below us

didz

It’s a physical sport, contact is allowed. The amount of force there used was minimal. If you’re a central defender getting that easily moved off your footing in your own box then you shouldn’t be retroactively saved by VAR. It’s so weak.

If this was a goal taken away from United we’d all be rightly fuming.
I don't think that's true at all.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
They should just tell him "disallow the goal". Making the ref walk over and watch it is utterly pointless. The ref in the var booth is equally qualified as the one on the pitch.
Yeah, the way they've decided to use the screens is just silly. Everyone knows which way it's going as soon as the ref is sent to look.

Either let the ref make an actual decision or don't. The big pantomime display of having him trot over to the screen is a farce.

cj_sparky

Ball about to drop onto Carlos' head, Badiashile pushed him. Quite an easy foul tbh.

Fallon d'Floor

It's a clear foul. You can't push/shove/shoulder someone in the back. I knew it would be disallowed in real time.

The 2-0 lead at HT flattered Villa and then they were complacent. in the 2nd half. Almost paid the price.

That draw guarantees them 5th place at worst. But they'll now have to hope that Spurs drop points in one of their 3 extra games. It's likely due to the opponents.

Villa have thrown away a few 2-0 leads now. United, Brentford and Chelsea.

always_hoping

Did you watch the game? Chelsea dominated them from start to finish. On the balance of play they are luck to get a draw.
Chelsea were 2-0 behind at half time did better 2nd half to earn a draw. As for luck yes they could have got that late on with the defender error or if VAR was as sleepy on that push as the on field ref.

Fooza

It’s a physical sport, contact is allowed. The amount of force there used was minimal. If you’re a central defender getting that easily moved off your footing in your own box then you shouldn’t be retroactively saved by VAR. It’s so weak.

that push from behind happens anywhere in the field it's a foul :lol: what's there to fume about? stop using the 'contact' argument in this case, it's not like it's a barge between two players running for a ball for instance.

C'est Moi Cantona

Surely if the ref sees it and doesn't think it's a foul real time then VAR shouldn't be sending him to the screen? (like we keep getting told)

If he hasn't seen it then what the hell is he looking at.

Fooza

It was a nudge. His hands were by his side. In what world is that a push?
it's a push, you do know by using the word 'nudge' doesn't mean it's automatically going to class that as a not a foul. Like come on

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Minimal?

(edit. Watching again, he has a little tug of the shirt before too. The issue is Pawson not giving it live and where the “clear and obvious error”. I guess they’ll say ref is behind it so doesn’t see that there is zero attempt at playing the ball and the consequence of defender not being able to play the ball)

(double edit… even Hoddle said it’s a foul :lol: Id have bet my house on him saying no foul)

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's mind-blowing that this is apparently a "clear and obvious error" when Michael "UAE Field Trip" Oliver awarded a goal kick for a blatant handball last weekend

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He could've been that dude that plays the mountain in game of thrones. If he tries to head a football, I can put him off balance with a nudge in the back.

Of course I'm strong af.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
it's a push, you do know by using the word 'nudge' doesn't mean it's automatically going to class that as a not a foul. Like come on
I have literally never heard of a push that doesn't involve someone using their arms. You keep on saying it was a push, it ain't one. Two people challenging for the ball, with one being significantly stronger than the other.

fps

Just said it in the Tuchel thread, Chelsea might be behind us in the league and you can see they have some problems in some areas of the pitch but it feels like they are 2 key players away from pushing for a top 4 spot again. With even at our best days it's like watching a mid table team, at worst we look like we don't even belong in this league.

Fully expect Chelsea to win this now.
You were basically right. Another game spoiled by a needless decision change.

Verminator

I have literally never heard of a push that doesn't involve someone using their arms. You keep on saying it was a push, it ain't one. Two people challenging for the ball, with one being significantly stronger than the other.
If he kicked him up the arse it wouldn't be a push, but it would be a foul.
There is a reason why shoulder to shoulder is an exception.
Shoulder to back or front is a barge and a foul.
Have a cuppa and calm down and analyse your reaction to this, in the cold light of day.

E-mal

Chelsea were 2-0 behind at half time did better 2nd half to earn a draw. As for luck yes they could have got that late on with the defender error or if VAR was as sleepy on that push as the on field ref.
Chelsea controlled the game and created more chances.
I am not a fan of counter attacking football as I think it is not sustainable

E-mal

What is Joe Cole talking about? The Coventry VAR decision? Which decision is he talking about?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Emery must've had a bet on Chelsea to win at half time. Chaotic subs and general game management and completely handed the initiative back to Chelsea. Only good thing is we've warmed you up nicely for the Spurs game.

Madueke is a bit random but he does have talent, gave Digne his hardest game in 2024 and took his goal well so type of half he needs to push on with for his career in next 18 months.

Fooza

Only way that'd be a legal challenge for the ball is if the chelsea player beat the aston villa defender to the header and headered it back towards the goal

It was a push, it was a foul

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Played Villa off the park. Extremely unlucky to be 2-0 down. Villa deserved nothing from this game. They were awful.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Great decision from VAR, a blatant foul. Var can work

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It was a harsh call. Bit of a nudge but defenders feel and just collapse to the ground (and Carlos didn't even do that). Konsa did it first half with Jackson.

Disasi looked offside when the cross came in so might have been ruled out regardless.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
It isn't the first time a binary decision such as offside has gone United's way, and they kicked up a fuss about it.
"Spirit of the game" and such other bollox.
That was ridiculous against Coventry. It was so obviously offside in realtime, and then the replay, co commentator saying its onside whilst the replay shows it isn't, just because he wanted it to be. Commentator corrected him to be fair after the next replay and he started going on about should give them the benefit of the doubt and it would be a shame to rule it out, nope it would be shameful to award them a goal that was offside.

Last edited:

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm sure didnt think that in the Champions League quarter final a few years ago.
Not really the point, VAR has been beyond the joke in the main this season, and the game would be better for it if it never existed, (which can be said for alot of things in life that are supposed to make things better).

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Only way that'd be a legal challenge for the ball is if the chelsea player beat the aston villa defender to the header and headered it back towards the goal

It was a push, it was a foul
It was not a push. If you think it's a foul then cool, probably about 50 percent of people agree with you. Yet you have VAR interventions to disallow a goal like this where it's not clear if there was enough force used to deem it a foul whilst at the same time having no VAR intervention in our semi final for the most obvious handball where the ref gave a goal kick and they went with the on field decision.

Even if you think it's a foul, why are they disallowing this when they've set the barometer so high to go against the refs on field decision in the last few months.

Verminator

Not really the point, VAR has been beyond the joke in the main this season, and the game would be better for it if it never existed, (which can be said for alot of things in life that are supposed to make things better).
VAR seems to work when English officials aren't involved.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was belligerence on PGMOL side.
I must agree though. It is ruining the Prem, and I enjoy watching games more where it isn't used.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
If he kicked him up the arse it wouldn't be a push, but it would be a foul.
There is a reason why shoulder to shoulder is an exception.
Shoulder to back or front is a barge and a foul.
Have a cuppa and calm down and analyse your reaction to this, in the cold light of day.
Have a cuppa? I'm not even salty about this decision. I don't give a feck if we won this game or not. I'm just baffled as to why VAR intervened here and didn't in our FA Cup semi final for an actual clear and obvious error.