Premier League Gameweek 35-37 + FA Cup semis

Stocar

So, Liverpool are currently first on the fair play table for this season. If I remember correctly, they were also the team that committed least fouls last season.

It just doesn't make sense for a team that plays such aggressive and physical football. When watching them, it always seems to me that they get away with too much when it comes to fouling and intimidation. Maybe I'm just subjective and don't understand what's proper football.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's not immediately a stonewall pen, especially on first viewing, but after seeing the replays I think it's hard not to see it's a foul. Lindelof has to go through Zaha's leg to touch the ball.

I also do think if it was a Palace defender making the tackle on a United player, you'd have been given a pen for it.
What about the Martial/Dann one then? We didn't get that.

TheReligion

Abusive
I didn't think it was. I know this sounds like I'm biased but I am just calling it how I saw it. For the record the offside was correct though incredibly close.
That's fair enough. It can be subjective. As I say I didn't feel the Zaha one was as to me he falls into Lindelof who gets something on the ball. In any sense I don't think there should be that much controversy about it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It's not immediately a stonewall pen, especially on first viewing, but after seeing the replays I think it's hard not to see it's a foul. Lindelof has to go through Zaha's leg to touch the ball.

I also do think if it was a Palace defender making the tackle on a United player, you'd have been given a pen for it.

If this was in the opposite box you'd have been given a pen for it.

And if you'd had missed that pen you would have been allowed to retake it until you had scored.

TheReligion

Abusive

If this was in the opposite box you'd have been given a pen for it.

And if you'd had missed that pen you would have been allowed to retake it until you had scored.
Can't believe that wasn't given when you consider the distance it travelled. Unbelievable.

Charlie Foley

is there a rule against doing that??

also second point is a bit silly given the Martial non penalty towards the end of the game; also not a penalty but undermines your point

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
So, Liverpool are currently first on the fair play table for this season. If I remember correctly, they were also the team that committed least fouls last season.

It just doesn't make sense for a team that plays such aggressive and physical football. When watching them, it always seems to me that they get away with too much when it comes to fouling and intimidation. Maybe I'm just subjective and don't understand what's proper football.
It's because they do so much of their fouling in the opposition half during their high press - far less likely to get yellows for fouls committed in the attacking third than in the defensive third. They also don't commit midfielders up the pitch as much as Man City do, so the midfield is harder to be bypassed and thus the tactical fouls that City are blown up for aren't really an issue.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What result do we want in West 'Aaaam and Watford?

A West Ham win would more or less have them safe. Would they be less dangerous against us then? Or a loss may have them be more adventurous against us leaving more space on the attack.

No Love

A West Ham win would more or less have them safe. Would they be less dangerous against us then? Or a loss may have them be more adventurous against us leaving more space on the attack.
Was thinking about this earlier. Think I’d rather they win tonight and are essentially safe by the time we play them. Been a miserable season for them, get the feeling they’ll be on their holidays from tomorrow if they win tonight.

Would absolutely love to see West Ham go down, just dislike everything about that club. But Top 4 is more important and seeing as the chances of them being relegated aren't that big anyways given Villa and Bournemouth's incompetence, I'll take them winning tonight so they're on the beach on Wednesday. Or conversely, they'll try their hardest to feck us over even if they're already safe so maybe they can just lose.

TheReligion

Abusive
Really? Interesting. I know Chelsea are at a big advantage insofar as we had an extra 48 hours' recovery time but I feel as if Lampard will go for it. Hope it doesn't bite us in the arse vs. Liverpool...
Yeah I think ighalo will definitely start and don't see think we'll see much of Matic, Pogba and Bruno. Will be Fred and Mctominay, likely Mata. Would imagine Dan James will get a game and maybe Rashford.

Think we will ring the changes given how tired we have looked.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I think ighalo will definitely start and don't see think we'll see much of Matic, Pogba and Bruno. Will be Fred and Mctominay, likely Mata. Would imagine Dan James will get a game and maybe Rashford.

Think we will ring the changes given how tired we have looked.
Makes sense. Still plenty of pace in that side but perhaps Kante being out won't be felt as acutely for us.

joedirt87

west ham to win, a classic moyes roar, time for them to go on vacation with it being close to impossible to get relegated based on goal difference. Moyes goes into a lets not lose by more then 2-3 goals a game mode for the final 2 fixtures.

PoTMS

Teams who have been 'on the beach' have given us better games than the teams that had something to fight for.

Nori-

Hopefully West Ham can win tonight. It'll put them 6 points above the relegation zone. Then if Bournemouth lose to Southampton on Sunday, West Ham are as good as staying up.

That means when they get around to playing us next week, there won't be much to play for. The relief of ending the season safe will mean they won't be fighting for every single ball like staying up counts on it.

Thats the theory anyway :lol:

Djemba-Djemba

Teams who have been 'on the beach' have given us better games than the teams that had something to fight for.
Yep.

Brighton Sheff Utd Bournemouth and Villa all had something to play for when we played them and we battered them all.

Southampton and Palace had nothing to play for and they were by far our toughest games.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If West Ham hold on here they're safe. Will have at least 10+ better goal difference and 6 points above two teams.
Unless I'm missing something?