Premier League Gameweek 35-37 + FA Cup semis

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think if you've got aspirations of competing with City and Liverpool you're going to need a world class striker. I don't think Martial is that. In fact I think Rashford is a better striker than him.
Yeah, that post sums it up. Martial is miles better than Rashford as a CF, it's not even a competition. As a LW, Rashford is better and that's his best position.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think if you've got aspirations of competing with City and Liverpool you're going to need a world class striker. I don't think Martial is that. In fact I think Rashford is a better striker than him.
Nah. I don’t think Rashford is a striker at all. I don’t really think Martial is either, more of a CF but Uniteds system doesn’t favour a striker. It excels because it has someone like Martial who is comfortable floating around and having Greenwood or Rashford taking up central positions at times.

I think that’s why United were sniffing around Richarlison rather than someone like Kane. He’s similar to Martial in the way their forward play works (better defensively but Martial is better attacking wise)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Very enjoyable game. Feels like the first time since 2012 Man. United are enjoyable to exciting to watch on a weekly basis.

Southampton very well coached but a bit slow in places. Need a bit more mobility in central defence and midfield. Can't see Walker-Peters being good enough for Spurs, United exposed him all game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Very enjoyable game. Feels like the first time since 2012 Man. United are enjoyable to exciting to watch on a weekly basis.

Southampton very well coached but a bit slow in places. Need a bit more mobility in central defence and midfield. Can't see Walker-Peters being good enough for Spurs, United exposed him all game.
Southampton should do well next season, they're very well coached as you say. I think they will sell Hojbjerg and reinvest smartly in those areas. I think Walker-Peters might sing on a perm there too and he'll get better. He's looked decent in other games for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pretty good De Gea save there. AWB also seems to be charging round the pitch hacking down Southampton players and in no danger of being booked. :lol:

Interesting ending, the sort that needs another 7 minutes of injury time.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Pretty good De Gea save there. AWB also seems to be charging round the pitch hacking down Southampton players and in no danger of being booked. :lol:

Interesting ending, the sort that needs another 7 minutes of injury time.
Absolutely not, my heart won't survive 7 minutes of injury time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This game is showing why United need to invest in the squad next season. Their first XI could probably challenge for the title but if games next season are going to be similarly as close together as they are now then teams aren't going to be able to do what Liverpool have done this year and rely on their first team being fit for most of the season. It's going to be down to who has the best first XI but an adequete squad to replace them when needed. At the moment I'd put City as favourites just because of how good their squad already is.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Nonsense, otherwise who wouldn't be 1 point behind Leicester and 2 behind Chelsea with a game in hand right now. We were once 14 behind Leicester and 6 or 8 behind Chelsea.
Nonsense?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Top 4 will probably go to last game now.

Big opportunity lost for Man. United but I'd be surprised if you didn't go to Leicester on the final day ahead of them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I fully expected to be 5th after this weekend. Somehow we're still 3rd. Absurd weekend.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Did Man. United actually finish with 10 men? I lose track of all the subs with the extra two. Thought they had one left and was expecting Bailly to come on once Williams couldn't continue. That extra body was crucial for that last corner.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This game is showing why United need to invest in the squad next season. Their first XI could probably challenge for the title but if games next season are going to be similarly as close together as they are now then teams aren't going to be able to do what Liverpool have done this year and rely on their first team being fit for most of the season. It's going to be down to who has the best first XI but an adequete squad to replace them when needed. At the moment I'd put City as favourites just because of how good their squad already is.
...and there we go. Some of that has to go on Ole for starting the same squad 5 games in a row, some of it has to go on the players for not taking the chances when they were 2-1 up. Definitely need to improve that squad though.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
...and there we go. Some of that has to go on Ole for starting the same squad 5 games in a row, some of it has to go on the players for not taking the chances when they were 2-1 up. Definitely need to improve that squad though.
Liverpool’s bench is fecking shit in fairness.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Did Man. United actually finish with 10 men? I lose track of all the subs with the extra two. Thought they had one left and was expecting Bailly to come on once Williams couldn't continue. That extra body was crucial for that last corner.
Depends if you're counting the VAR official they usually have on their side.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
"Hi Sheffield Utd... Yup, loved the game v Chelsea, and thanks again... about your game at Leicester..."

Seriously, Chelsea are going to smash Norwich, and if Leicester beat Sheffield United, we are in a must win situation at Palace.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
"Hi Sheffield Utd... Yup, loved the game v Chelsea, and thanks again... about your game at Leicester..."

Seriously, Chelsea are going to smash Norwich, and if Leicester beat Sheffield United, we are in a must win situation at Palace.
Hoping Chelsea smash Norwich, we seem to do dreadful after they lose. Just checked the Norwich game is the last time play a Premier League game before us.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
That Martial sitter looking a lot more costly now...

Tin hat on but if United wanna be a successful force again they need a better RB than AWB, imo. He simply doesn't offer enough offensively in a team that in the vast majority of their matches are facing teams happy to sit deep and keep it tight. Could make the case for the entire defence needing improved upon if they want to reach that level again, tbf, but AWB stands out purely because of how little he offers in an attacking sense in the era of the attacking full back.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Wouldn't worry about Leicester. They're crap and you've still got to play them again anyway. They've got Spurs away too which won't be easy.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The one that ignored the clear red from Romeu?

@FootballHQ yeah United finished with 10 men. Used 4 subs in 3 different intervals.
Oh right so you did have one sub but couldn't use it due to the way you put them on....

Such a stupid rule, don't really understand why they're continuing with 5 subs next season. Also stupid considering it was a head injury and you can make good argument for always making special concession for that if you've used up your subs by that time.

Nick7

Oh right so you did have one sub but couldn't use it due to the way you put them on....

Such a stupid rule, don't really understand why they're continuing with 5 subs next season. Also stupid considering it was a head injury and you can make good argument for always making special concession for that if you've used up your subs by that time.
Head injury subs should always be allowed.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Yeah, that post sums it up. Martial is miles better than Rashford as a CF, it's not even a competition. As a LW, Rashford is better and that's his best position.
I said striker though not CF.

Besides, even in a CF role I don't see the gigantic gulf between the two you suggest. What areas do you think Martial is better than Rashford that lend him to being miles better as a centre forward?

And as an aside, do you think Martial is miles better there than someone like Kane?

roonster09

Scout
I said striker though not CF.

Besides, even in a CF role I don't see the gigantic gulf between the two you suggest. What areas do you think Martial is better than Rashford that lend him to being miles better as a centre forward?

And as an aside, do you think Martial is miles better there than someone like Kane?
His movement as a striker, link up play, hold up play, playmaking from central position, finishing. Almost everything you need from a CF.

Depends on which Kane you are comparing with, Kane overall? No Kane was better.
This season? Martial is better.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
His movement as a striker, link up play, hold up play, playmaking from central position, finishing. Almost everything you need from a CF.

Depends on which Kane you are comparing with, Kane overall? No Kane was better.
This season? Martial is better.
I think Martial has a better touch than Rashford by some distance but the other areas I think Rashford at least holds his own with him. They've got the same number of assists this season for example yet Rashford has created more overall chances. As for finishing I think Rashford is a better finisher. Look at his offside goal and then eventual goal tonight. Both wonderful finishes and I think it's a very underrated part of his game actually.

I'd agree that Martial has been better than Kane this season though I think Kane is seriously hindered by the squad and manager he's with. This might be the first summer where he's actually gettable and if I were a team like United I'd be all over trying to get someone like that in. He takes you a step above where Martial takes you, IMO.

roonster09

Scout
I think Martial has a better touch than Rashford by some distance but the other areas I think Rashford at least holds his own with him. They've got the same number of assists this season for example yet Rashford has created more overall chances. As for finishing I think Rashford is a better finisher. Look at his offside goal and then eventual goal tonight. Both wonderful finishes and I think it's a very underrated part of his game actually.

I'd agree that Martial has been better than Kane this season though I think Kane is seriously hindered by the squad and manager he's with. This might be the first summer where he's actually gettable and if I were a team like United I'd be all over trying to get someone like that in. He takes you a step above where Martial takes you, IMO.
We are not talking about who got more goals and assists, or who has more dribbles isn' it? It's about their ability to play as CF, Martial is better than Rashford in every area.

You can start a thread there and create a poll, you will see the results.

croadyman

Norwich will have absolutely no pressure on themselves tonight which will help, however they will get the same treatment Watford got there recently.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Norwich will have absolutely no pressure on themselves tonight which will help, however they will get the same treatment Watford got there recently.
Football is weird. If any other top 6 club had this game, I'd call it a banker. I think it's because of what's at stake, but because it's my team, I'm incredibly nervous about a home game vs the team that's bottom of the league.