Premier League Gameweek 36-37

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
To be fair to Liverpool, they’ve lost less games in the league this season than City*. There’s really not much more they could have done.

*Liverpool have a knack for winning games they don’t deserve to and drawing games they arguably deserve to lose so that skews the above statistic a touch

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
To be fair to Liverpool, they’ve lost less games in the league this season than City*. There’s really not much more they could have done.

*Liverpool have a knack for winning games they don’t deserve to and drawing games they arguably deserve to lose so that skews the above statistic a touch
Can you list the games you think we've deserved lose or draw where we've won? It's best to look at the match stats to see which team deserved to win said game.

432JuanMata

Can you list the games you think we've deserved lose or draw where we've won? It's best to look at the match stats to see which team deserved to win said game.
I agree with you, the season you won the league you did grind out wins that you weren’t at your best which won yous the league but this season you didn’t really gain wins where you where 2nd best.

The problem this season is the games you dropped points you deserved it and it cost yous

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I agree with you, the season you won the league you did grind out wins that you weren’t at your best which won yous the league but this season you didn’t really gain wins where you where 2nd best.

The problem this season is the games you dropped points you deserved it and it cost yous
We haven't managed games very well at times. Led 2-0 against Brighton and Chelsea and drew, led twice against City and Brentford and drew, led against Spurs away and drew. The Brighton and Brentford ones were especially poor. We completely lost control of the Brighton game.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Your last two Premier League games were perilously close to going the other way if we are being objective. I’m not going through the whole 36 games you’ve played but off the top of my head, in addition to the two games mentioned above, results you’ve got which were somewhat flattering and possibly considered fortunate were: City home and away; West Ham at home; Arsenal away; Brighton at home etc.

City, on the other hand, very rarely don’t deserve their results and quite often are unlucky in defeat/draws in comparison to how they dominate teams.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Your last two Premier League games were perilously close to going the other way if we are being objective. I’m not going through the whole 36 games you’ve played but off the top of my head, in addition to the two games mentioned above, results you’ve got which were somewhat flattering and possibly considered fortunate were: City home and away; West Ham at home; Arsenal away; Brighton at home etc.

City, on the other hand, very rarely don’t deserve their results and quite often are unlucky in defeat/draws in comparison to how they dominate teams.
The recent game against Everton

BorisManUtd

City have improved their GD now drastically, could now perhaps even win the league a win and a loss in last 2 games. It's not over yet though. I do hope they'll beat West Ham, that would help us as well to finish 6th and play Europa next season.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool

If you look at a lot of those games you'll probably see Liverpool with more possession, passes and shots on goal. City out played us and we were lucky against Brighton because honestly we lost control of that one. West Ham at home shows that we had 22 shots and 5 on target to West Ham's 13 and 5. We probably missed a couple of sitters ourselves in that game.

City are clearly a better team than us. There's no denying that. But I think it's an exaggeration to say that we've been lucky in that many games. It does help having a world class keeper between the sticks though. Alisson has had an excellent season so far.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely no way City throw this away now. Carragher was sounding desperate the other night claiming Wolves could pull a result... they get smacked 5-1

Give it up, Carra. Its gone. But great effort

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Liverpool have definitely ridden their luck and had favourable refs / awful interpretations of VAR to get the points needed. It’s why I’m glad City will win as it’ll be deserved and ‘clean’.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool have definitely ridden their luck and had favourable refs / awful interpretations of VAR to get the points needed. It’s why I’m glad City will win as it’ll be deserved and ‘clean’.
Is there anything 'clean' about what City have done over the last decade?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Pep's head?
With the amount of times he rubs it yeah that's true.

His sides are horrible to compete against. They control everything for 90-95% of a game. I don't think they handle the 5-10% but there's so much control throughout.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
That’s certainly been the case the past few weeks for sure. Feck all clean about City though.

Frank Grimes

How the feck does Salah get FWA player of the year? De Bruyne is head and shoulders above every player in the league. How hard is it to wait for the season to finish. Salah has been below par for 3 months now.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
How the feck does Salah get FWA player of the year? De Bruyne is head and shoulders above every player in the league. How hard is it to wait for the season to finish. Salah has been below par for 3 months now.
Yeah hard to disagree with that. Mane's been better than Salah in 2022 and you could easily argue Son is out performing Salah as well.

wr8_utd

:'(
KDB seems to have properly picked up only in 2022 so they may just give it to Salah.

432JuanMata

Yeah but KDB was average for parts of this season when salah was performing and it’s over the season

Robindinho

City's GD is 72, ours is 1. Wtf. Haha. Are we even in the same stratosphere!?
Without Ronaldo, the gap wouldn't have been far off 100 come the end of the season (still be around 80).

They're way up in outer space and we don't even make it above the clouds. :(

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If you look at a lot of those games you'll probably see Liverpool with more possession, passes and shots on goal. City out played us and we were lucky against Brighton because honestly we lost control of that one. West Ham at home shows that we had 22 shots and 5 on target to West Ham's 13 and 5. We probably missed a couple of sitters ourselves in that game.

City are clearly a better team than us. There's no denying that. But I think it's an exaggeration to say that we've been lucky in that many games. It does help having a world class keeper between the sticks though. Alisson has had an excellent season so far.
Problem is, it is all good looking at stats, but we all know that football isn't won with possession and shots; even if the the stat lovers try to tell us so.

Tbf, you're a reasonable poster so I am not going to bring up too much, as I am sure there are games Liverpool have drawn this season but should've won,, but I have tuned out because I have presumed that they would win easily.

However, off the top of my head, these are game Liverpool should've got less points out of:

1) Chelsea at home. This was possibly the only time I have seen you played off the park for a half. The James sending off, whilst not surprising was a bit harsh as I think being in that situation your body goes that way. If Chelsea hadn't gone down to 10, I don't see you drawing that game.

2) West Ham. Stats are all good but the chances passed up by West Ham were pretty bad. Yeah, you had more possession and shots, but quality of chances, West Ham should've got something in that.

3) Everton at home. Gordon is a diver and to some extent got what he deserved, bit the foul by Matip gets a pen in about 17 out of 20 stadiums in the PL. Everton get that, draw was the best your boys' were getting.

4) Spuds. Took a deflection for you to get a point. Obviously, Spurs approach was negative but I felt they did the best that could be expected when out gunned as they were and away from home.

5) Chelsea away. Unless Chabolah gives you essentially a free goal, not sure you get a draw in that one.

6) Villa away. Again, the chances were there for Villa and in this one, the ref helped out imo. Yeah, you dug in, but again, can be easily seen as 2 points gained.

As I said, I haven't seen enough of your boys' but in those games, I have felt you were lucky to come out with the points you did/felt if the score went the other way, you'se couldn't have argued too much.

That said, tbf, your team does have a great mentality in pursuing games, so obviously you're going to get points when you don't nessarily deserve so.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Problem is, it is all good looking at stats, but we all know that football isn't won with possession and shots; even if the the stat lovers try to tell us so.

Tbf, you're a reasonable poster so I am not going to bring up too much, as I am sure there are games Liverpool have drawn this season but should've won,, but I have tuned out because I have presumed that they would win easily.

However, off the top of my head, these are game Liverpool should've got less points out of:

1) Chelsea at home. This was possibly the only time I have seen you played off the park for a half. The James sending off, whilst not surprising was a bit harsh as I think being in that situation your body goes that way. If Chelsea hadn't gone down to 10, I don't see you drawing that game.

2) West Ham. Stats are all good but the chances passed up by West Ham were pretty bad. Yeah, you had more possession and shots, but quality of chances, West Ham should've got something in that.

3) Everton at home. Gordon is a diver and to some extent got what he deserved, bit the foul by Matip gets a pen in about 17 out of 20 stadiums in the PL. Everton get that, draw was the best your boys' were getting.

4) Spuds. Took a deflection for you to get a point. Obviously, Spurs approach was negative but I felt they did the best that could be expected when out gunned as they were and away from home.

5) Chelsea away. Unless Chabolah gives you essentially a free goal, not sure you get a draw in that one.

6) Villa away. Again, the chances were there for Villa and in this one, the ref helped out imo. Yeah, you dug in, but again, can be easily seen as 2 points gained.

As I said, I haven't seen enough of your boys' but in those games, I have felt you were lucky to come out with the points you did/felt if the score went the other way, you'se couldn't have argued too much.

That said, tbf, your team does have a great mentality in pursuing games, so obviously you're going to get points when you don't nessarily deserve so.
Yeah that’s pretty fair overall.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
City could have and probably should have had 8, Sterling should have 4 too pretty much!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
City could have and probably should have had 8, Sterling should have 4 too pretty much!
Yes. Was saying the same thing as I was watching it.
Sterling could have had 2 in the last 10 mins alone. He missed the goal but split the goalposts and then hit the upright. Would have been easier to score.