Premier League Gameweek 37

LordSpud

Spurs fans absolutely embarrassed themselves tonight. Shocking.
Even GladstoneSpur couldn't make an appearance.

Seriously though, Spurs are so much of a nothing club that never win anything that all they have is their rivalry. And this loss is a win for them. Idiots.

LordSpud

The result if guilty of the strongest charges should be expulsion and enforced new ownership, not a points docking.
The result of not guilty (as I suspect) should be banning of City fans from this forum.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Bayern was close to sign Haaland but when the board learned from his management about the figures City offered to Haaland (and his dad), Bayern had zero chance. Your funds are endless and no proper football club can compete, especially when you get around FFP with creative accounting or cooking the books as you call it.
And that's to do with the completely wrong take you had on the charges how?
You want people to feel sorry for Bayern Munich, who just cherry pick the best players from their league cause for the first time in history they lost out of a player from the bundesliga. Cry me a river. Kane is a better player anyway.

Irwin99

Soooo, the title is finished, City have won 4 in a row, the top 4 is done (congrats Villa, fair play!), the Europa League spots are just about confirmed, the relegation battle is over, no final day drama there...

.... this is a bit of a crap league isn't it?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He called the premier corrupt for punishing Everton and Forest after both plead guilty to breaching FFP after working with the PL and got punished.
Its like complaining that a murder trial hasn't reached court because someone elses shoplifting case one was heard in 3 months.

They are not the same thing. Not even remotely. The idea why would be treated as such is crazy.
Nobody said they're exactly the same though?

Admittedly I'm not following it super closely but City were charged almost a year and a half ago and I'm not sure if anything much has happened since?

We're not talking about something that happened a couple of weeks ago.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The result if guilty of the strongest charges should be expulsion and enforced new ownership, not a points docking.
The damage is done though. They can banish you into north west counties, but it’s too little too late. The charges go back 14 years, and you’ve won 8 titles and the treble in the process. If it’s proven those were acquired through underhand means, they should be taken away no?

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
They provided accurate financial info to start with, and held their hands up when charged. City have done neither of those things, and the PL are having to prove their guilt
Looks to me like Trump. The 115 charges are known for over a year, nothing happened!
At least there should be a trial by now.

thisisnottaken1

Soooo, the title is finished, City have won 4 in a row, the top 4 is done (congrats Villa, fair play!), the Europa League spots are just about confirmed, the relegation battle is over, no final day drama there...

Yup, pretty crap season.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Nobody said they're exactly the same though?

Admittedly I'm not following it super closely but City were charged almost a year and a half ago and I'm not sure if anything much has happened since?

We're not talking about something that happened a couple of weeks ago.
There were 20',000+ bits of evidence in the Everton case whilst Everton complied and Everton were working with the Premier League for 1 FFP charge. Which they accepted guilt for and only appealed the punishment.
Now imagine how much needs to be weighed up with 115 charges, City refusing to cooperate (on certain aspects), City denying guilt and refuting the charges. Not to mention its fraud/cooking the books/paying a manager from two sources. These things are nowhere the same.

Like I said its like expecting a murder case to be heard as quickly as shoplifting. Its completely different, the bigger the case the longer it takes to reach court or in this case the panel.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Spoken like someone who is confident their Avengers assembled team of lawyers will do enough to convince the court that they can't be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt of the strongest of charges.
He called the premier corrupt for punishing Everton and Forest after both plead guilty to breaching FFP after working with the PL and got punished.
Its like complaining that a murder trial hasn't reached court because someone elses shoplifting case one was heard in 3 months.
This is a fair point, to be fair. The verdict relating to 115 charges was always going to drag out longer than 1 or 2 charges.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Looks to me like Trump. The 115 charges are known for over a year, nothing happened!
It’s at some point this year apparently. I think trial might be overdoing it though. I think the first we’ll hear about it is when their 250k fine is handed out. It’ll all be behind closed doors and swept under the carpet.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It seems to me that there really is an international incident in the making if they, for example relegated City to the lower leagues.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Spoken like someone who is confident their Avengers assembled team of lawyers will do enough to convince the court that they can't be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt of the strongest of charges.

This is a fair point, to be fair. The verdict relating to 115 charges was always going to drag out longer than 1 or 2 charges.
Not even remotely confident, I've said in the charges thread many times, the severe punishment for Everton and Forest is setting a precedent for what's coming.
Its very unlikely City will lose all 115 charges and very unlikely they'll win all 115. The punishment will very much depend on what they do go down on. If its anything to do with fraud, it should be severe and not just points.

BorisManUtd

Wow, really good game to watch as a neutral but can imagine City/Spurs/Arsenal fans were dreading the whole time. I'd say Spurs were even better until the penalty, Kuluševski with 2 big chances and then that Son sitter, imagine if that was on purpose :lol: Ortega brilliant, City have 2 great GKs lucky them.

I hated City winning the title in 2012 because it was competing with us and it was a heartbreaking ending. Also didn't want them to do the treble. Other than that, don't care much. But I'm not from Manchester (or England even) so only know people who are Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal fans, either of those 3 teams winning tends to be much more unbearable. City saved us from 3 Liverpool titles anyway.

Guess it's still not over yet before it's over. City beat West Ham comfortably on last day in 2014 but it wasn't as easy in 2012 and 2022 despite being at home and favourites. Even in 2019 they were first trailing at Brighton though won it later on without much problems.

Well done to Villa fans on here for finishing in top 4. Them and Arsenal teams of the season for me.

Spurs will still have to get at least a point at Sheffield United to secure 5th though that shouldn't be much of a problem you'd think.

JP77

Even GladstoneSpur couldn't make an appearance.

Seriously though, Spurs are so much of a nothing club that never win anything that all they have is their rivalry. And this loss is a win for them. Idiots.
It’s a huge rivalry, they would rather lose that game than hand their biggest rival the title and it’s tough to blame them. CL was all but gone for them, this game barely mattered. The Spurs players have it a go but you definitely can’t blame the fans for not wanting their team to hand Arsenal their first title in 20 years, even more so when the wounds are wide open after Arsenal fans taunted and ripped them just two weeks ago at their own stadium.

I think the worst part of the night is the state of the likes of Neville and co who have written the title off completely as if it’s impossible for one final twist. Look, City will likely batter West Ham but crazier things have happened, you can’t crown a team champions the way they did tonight even if it is massively unlikely of City not winning that game.

BorisManUtd

City were nervy as Arsenal were against us few days ago. But neither United nor Spurs took advantage of it in the end.

Adz_99

Utterly forgettable season.

In a couple of years I think most of us will struggle to remember anything that happened in it. Bit like the covid seasons. They're a complete blur now.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm nearly certain his last team were relegated the season before his transfer to City. Anyone in the PL could have had him if they wanted.
Yea Arminia were relegated but despite that Ortega was still performing great and was widely recognized as a high quality keeper in the BL. Was disappointed myself that he chose to become a second choice keeper after that.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah I don't really blame them tbh.
Trouble is it also personifies why they don't win anything, instead of driving their own team on they hate so many other London teams they would rather their own team loses to makes sure the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea don't win a trophy. In the end it only makes your own club a bit of a joke. I am sure Arsenal will be thinking of Spurs when they are visiting some of the biggest teams in the CL.

DomesticTadpole

And what if UCL was at stake?

Spurs didn't lose on purpose, of course, but for arguments sake, team threw away UCL just so Arsenal wouldn't win the title.

I don't think the team threw the game, it is the fans actually celebrating the fact they didn't get CL which is annoying.

DomesticTadpole

In among the bullshit I'm feeling tonight I can at least offer congrats to Villa and their fans. Remarkable achievement bearing in mind they took were playing in Europe up until this last week.

Still, Arsenal having their best League run in about 20 years and still they will get pipped to the post. That's what they get for relying on Spuds to do them a favour.
Arsenal will likely go and get a striker now, even though not sure if it will change much as they have not really had problems scoring goals. Difference for Spurs is that Villa have Ollie Watkins and they don't have someone like that. You wonder if the result would have been different with a Kane playing.

wildflower2007

The damage is done though. They can banish you into north west counties, but it’s too little too late. The charges go back 14 years, and you’ve won 8 titles and the treble in the process. If it’s proven those were acquired through underhand means, they should be taken away no?
Absolutely they should be taken away.

I was having a convo with my Arsenal pal just last night about this and he said he heard a caller on TalkSport phone in and say "City are a good side yes, but I liken everything they do to Lance Armstrong". The radio host didn't know what to say.

We then got onto the subject of the difference between the UCI/Tour de France (Pro Cycling governing body) and the FA/Premier League.
When Armstrong was found guilty of cheating during those winning years, the Tour/UCI didn't think twice about literally scrubbing his name through with a Sharpie permanent marker. Even now if you look, there are lines through his name and they didn't a give a sh*t about leaving it like that for the Tour history books.
The Premier League/FA should be doing exactly the same thing if City are found guilty. It should go down as a marker to any club in the future that if you cheat, that's it, you're wins are scrubbed from the history books, because they mean nothing. Leave them on show.

The thing that bothered both of us is the difference in reaction. When Armstrong was caught and punished everyone in cycling agreed with it and even current Pros at that time came out and supported it.
But look at the teams in the Prem, absolutely nothing, not a peep is being said by them. It's disgusting, they should be jumping up and down making a point about the cheating.

Just proves that football, as a whole, is corrupt and all about money.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Tbf, if there is one team in the league with a tinpot mentality, in which they will pull out their best performance in a decade to just spite the team they're playing, it probably is West Ham.

However, to counter this, they have Moyes as manager.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pen given but it will be overturned. He clearly got the ball.