Premier League Gameweek 38 | Final weekend fixtures of 2017/18 season (13th May 2018)

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
It's makes me laugh that they act like anything they do is an achievement. Every team that's been bought and funded like they have have gone on to win their league.
The additional 'achievements' this year are fishy as feck considering Pep's history and that it's not been done before by better teams.
I'll tell you something, any mentioning of Pep's spending is immediately countered with Jose's transfers because the two are somehow inexplicably linked. One can never be mentioned without the other, regardless of the argument. And yet somehow, even when both are given as arguments, Jose still comes out as the bigger example, always. It's like people are loathe to think that Pep's success was helped largely by the same circumstances that Jose was. Because these days Pep is the holy saint to Jose's anti-christ.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But they finished 4th.
I know, ive corrected it, no excuses, i was arguing on another message board about digital spaceships so wasnt giving it my full attention.

I will do better in future.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'll tell you something, any mentioning of Pep's spending is immediately countered with Jose's transfers because the two are somehow inexplicably linked. One can never be mentioned without the other, regardless of the argument. And yet somehow, even when both are given as arguments, Jose still comes out as the bigger example, always. It's like people are loathe to think that Pep's success was helped largely by the same circumstances that Jose was. Because these days Pep is the holy saint to Jose's anti-christ.
Not to mention the United team is in far more of a state than City's when Pep took over.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Not to mention the United team is in far more of a state than City's when Pep took over.
Exactly. This team has been in the doldrums for years now, trying to find a seeable identity, shifting through managers and as a result, the squad has at times looked confused. The constant chopping and changing does not do any good for a settled squad but with what he was left to work with, he did have to make major decisions in the market but he should be able to introduce new signings at a slower rate.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Wonderful. So if the world's richest person takes over another club, pumps £10billion into them and they win the title, will that still be a great feeling?

You have an empty victory, bought and not earned.
Oh cry me a river. I didn't care when Chelsea nor United did. Nor would I if it were spurs though I'm sure you'd feck it up if you did.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Exactly. This team has been in the doldrums for years now, trying to find a seeable identity, shifting through managers and as a result, the squad has at times looked confused. The constant chopping and changing does not do any good for a settled squad but with what he was left to work with, he did have to make major decisions in the market but he should be able to introduce new signings at a slower rate.
And if it wasn't for City's spending, United wouldn't have to spend as much to keep up with the infinite money cheat. On top of this, players wouldn't be as expensive if it wasn't for daft teams like City fecking up the market.
The comparisons just don't make sense as you soon as you look a tiny bit deeper.

OldSchoolManc

Oh cry me a river. I didn't care when Chelsea nor United did. Nor would I if it were spurs though I'm sure you'd feck it up if you did.
Err, when was this? All I recall is people taking money out of the club.
Don’t give me that early 1900’s benefactor shite again either, it is totally irrelevant.

SER19

Love this newfound arrogance, look down on Tottenham now when ten years ago on final day you were getting hammered by Middlesbrough. And united didn’t do that you can keep banging that drum and talk yourself into a tin hat like you did in a thread recently. City have ruined English football and this season has blighted and skewed a lot of history, hard work and organic success.

Every team has to spend ridiculous amounts to even try keep pace. As for clubs like Tottenham that you now laugh at? No chance of ever winning a league while city do what they do

Denis_unwise

Don't try to lump Utd in with City, Chelsea & Blackburn. Not 1 of our trophies under SAF were bought.

Reactions: SteveJ

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
And if it wasn't for City's spending, United wouldn't have to spend as much to keep up with the infinite money cheat. On top of this, players wouldn't be as expensive if it wasn't for teams like City fecking up the market.
The comparisons just don't make sense as you soon as you look a tiny bit deeper.
The thing that gets me is that in the 90's and early 2000's when our success was at its peak, we were constantly accused of buying the league not just by rival fans but also with barely-vealed insinuations contained within sports articles written about us week to week. Every success would have an asterisk beside it with the notion that we won because.... And yet that same accusation is barely mentioned about City in any newspapers. They are lauded for an admittedly impressive league performance but nothing is made about their transfer budget. What was different about Fergie's spending when compared to Pep's? Or is it about who was managing which team?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The thing that gets me is that in the 90's and early 2000's when our success was at its peak, we were constantly accused of buying the league not just by rival fans but also with barely-vealed insinuations contained within sports articles written about us week to week. Every success would have an asterisk beside it with the notion that we won because.... And yet that same accusation is barely mentioned about City in any newspapers. They are lauded for an admittedly impressive league performance but nothing is made about their transfer budget. What was different about Fergie's spending when compared to Pep's? Or is it about who was managing which team?
Man United dominated the league for a decade. Chelsea and City have never even won 2 in a row.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
City take a harsh line with the press. If a journalist writes a negative piece then they are contacted by City and face a ban from City events if they do not provide an adequate explanation. The English press are also very easy to buy, invite them to a few player events and they'll be your mouthpiece.

Duncan Castles is a good example of how easily you can pocket journalists. Mourinho lets him inside access a few times a season and he acts as his mouthpiece. He used to bad mouth United at every opportunity but ever since Mourinho has come to United he has stopped, and even has a few 'exclusives'.

United are a massive plc, which means they have to do everything over the counter, they can't use underhanded tactics.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
City take a harsh line with the press. If a journalist writes a negative piece then they are contacted by City and face a ban from City events if they do not provide an adequate explanation. The English press are also very easy to buy, invite them to a few player events and they'll be your mouthpiece.

Duncan Castles is a good example of how easily you can pocket journalists. Mourinho lets him inside access a few times a season and he acts as his mouthpiece. He used to bad mouth United at every opportunity but ever since Mourinho has come to United he has stopped, and even has a few 'exclusives'.

United are a massive plc, which means they have to do everything over the counter, they can't use underhanded tactics.
Yeah, I remember Moyes being quite pally with the press and as a result getting a lot more leeway. Fergie would never stand for any of the falsified crap written about him or the club and many a journalist was left outside in the club. Pissed off more than a few of them in his time.
Man United dominated the league for a decade. Chelsea and City have never even won 2 in a row.
True but we never won the league whilst amassing 100 points and racking up a huge GD despite having a CB partnership of Bruce-Pallister/Vidic-Evra and having either Schmeichel or VDS in goal.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Wonderful. So if the world's richest person takes over another club, pumps £10billion into them and they win the title, will that still be a great feeling?

You have an empty victory, bought and not earned.
Lol, *you're* back, are you?

starman

I made my peace with this season a while back, City winning the league, Liverpool maybe winning the CL, but that last minute winner from Jesus to give City 100pts and most wins in a season did piss me off today.

Arthur1

And if it wasn't for City's spending, United wouldn't have to spend as much to keep up with the infinite money cheat. On top of this, players wouldn't be as expensive if it wasn't for daft teams like City fecking up the market.
Ferdinand. RVN. Rooney. Veron. Keane was a record at the time.

Cheers.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
100 points is a great achievement, just reaching 97 or 98 points wouldn't have felt like much of an upgrade over Chelsea's 95. From a psychological point of view, reaching triple digits seems much greater than just improving the record by 5 points. City needed that bit of glamour to gloss over the losses in CL and FA cup.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I can tell you from experience, moaning about their spending only makes the victory a little bit sweeter. It's much more fun to beat a bitter rival than a classy and respectful one.
Doesn't change the reality though. There's a reason why nobody cares about them. Everything has been spoonfed to them. Buying a new squad could only fetch you ucl ro16, so you go out there and get the best manager. Then buy a whole new bunch of players. What's so special about this?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Youre forgetting their most important record of all. The one without which none of it is possible. The spending record.

Bought every single thing you’ve just listed. Of course it doesn’t bother you, you’ve all been bought too. Like trophy brides
Love this newfound arrogance, look down on Tottenham now when ten years ago on final day you were getting hammered by Middlesbrough. And united didn’t do that you can keep banging that drum and talk yourself into a tin hat like you did in a thread recently. City have ruined English football and this season has blighted and skewed a lot of history, hard work and organic success.

Every team has to spend ridiculous amounts to even try keep pace. As for clubs like Tottenham that you now laugh at? No chance of ever winning a league while city do what they do
Right on cue... Better to spend £750m on a squad and do that than £650m on players to be thrown under a bus no? Wouldn't mind if my post was even the least bit incendiary but its just you storming in on anything City related as usual.

As for the second post, arrogance my arse, if Glaston can dish it out, he can take it back, and he will take it as a bit of banter. Also I don't look down on Spurs at all, good club who have won less than they deserved in their history and doing a great job atm.

Fluffing your lines big time in the 3 biggest games in your history - check
I think you'll find the Real Madrid game under Pellegrini was the biggest in recent times, the two Liverpool games quite mattered quite alot, but the derby? It mattered for feck all.
Here, you missed a few facts.

Congrats :).
Good facts buddy. And all pretty much true, except anti-climax. Was the league an anti-climax in 99-2000? It was dead and buried at the same time.

Without your ill gotten gains, you are that very trash you speak of.
The most un-classy team and fans ever.
No humility whatsoever.
No humility? What are you on about? Am I not allowed to post a message congratulating our manager on one of the greatest achievement in a domestic season... Are you that bitter? Did I even try to rub it in? I've been defending United and talking you up when your entire forum has been melting down. I've been saying what City have achieved this season is an anomaly and the gap to United is much smaller than the table shows and will be tighter next season, but I make one post congratulating our manager on breaking many records, you jump on it for no reason and I lack humility. I'm the one with issues here alright...

Err, when was this? All I recall is people taking money out of the club.
Don’t give me that early 1900’s benefactor shite again either, it is totally irrelevant.
Oh please, I'm not explaining how the richest club in the world had more money than everyone else in the early 2000's again. The fact some people can't understand "richest club in the world" = more money and spending power on this forum is beyond me buddy. But I am not at all talking about sugar daddies, just financial superiority which again is something that has been going round in circles and I'll not discuss it after the last time.

Doesn't change the reality though. There's a reason why nobody cares about them. Everything has been spoonfed to them. Buying a new squad could only fetch you ucl ro16, so you go out there and get the best manager. Then buy a whole new bunch of players. What's so special about this?
Eh, you'll find that squad was CL semi-finalists, not last 16. It's also not a new squad, in fact as this forum is so quick to point out Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Fernandinho were already world class and already there before Pep.

Terrific league season no doubt. Congrats, but I think there should be a big regret about how you lot were trashed by Liverpool in CL.
Big time buddy, not the result but the manner of the 1st leg performance which was horrible in terms of attitude from us. We thought we could just show up at Anfield on CL night and walk past Liverpool, 2nd leg we were better and had Sane's goal stood you'd never know but that first leg is easily the worst performance I can remember, even the Wigan loss wasn't as bad.

You beat us at OT
I don't get you buddy. We dropped 6 points total to the top 4, 8 points total to the rest of the league. I wasn't referring to home or away, that's the totals for the season. Also sorry your genuine quote and question is in the middle of me having to respond to a lot of drivel, I'll keep it to the bottom for real discussion along with KM's and the other who are just chatting being genuine, not offended over nothing.

Apologies to anyone whose posts I've missed but I had a few notifications to get through.

montpelier

I agree with @duffer & the very new guy about this. It is what it is, City won by a mile & deserved to do so. How much ££££ got spent is irrelevant to me. If the ££££ was a factor for me, I couldn't watch any football at all - have you seen the wages in the top division? Ours, for example.

And shortage of money isn't our problem, we're the last club or 2 who should be mentioning it as an excuse or part of some sour grapes-ing.

On the other hand, where were the useless Gorton-based abusers of human rights when the entire country (barring some loonies on here, obviously :rolleyes:) was looking for them to turn up at Anfield & stop that band-wagon of the gobshites. A couple of cans of sprite get lobbed at the bus in some red smoke while some Norse mythology obsessed RAWKITE poets incoherently try & count to six, la' and they feck off & hide under some cloak of total invisibility for an entire first half.

We'll be back.

ayushreddevil9

Eh, you'll find that squad was CL semi-finalists, not last 16. It's also not a new squad, in fact as this forum is so quick to point out Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Fernandinho were already world class and already there before Pep.
You were never considered a dominant force in europe. That semifinal appearance was labelled as a one off by many people. You were not even expected to beat psg that season and it took a huge bottle by Laurent blanc to tinker with the formations and stuff.

Didn't say that you bought a whole new squad after pep. I said a bunch. Sane, gundogan, nolito, bravo, ederson, mendy, walker, laporte, jesus, stones. That's a lot of players and very costly ones too.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You were never considered a dominant force in europe. That semifinal appearance was labelled as a one off by many people. You were not even expected to beat psg that season and it took a huge bottle by Laurent blanc to tinker with the formations and stuff.

Didn't say that you bought a whole new squad after pep. I said a bunch. Sane, gundogan, nolito, bravo, ederson, mendy, walker, laporte, jesus, stones. That's a lot of players and very costly ones too.
"Buying a new squad could only fetch you ucl ro16"... You're shifting goalposts. Buying a new squad and also only making last 16. Both of which are untrue buddy.

It is though a fair argument PSG were expected to beat us as we had a poor season domestically, but in the end we lost to the best team in Europe by 1 goal on aggregate in the semi-final (although Real were the far better side and we barely laid a glove on them over 2 legs).

stepic

United fans moaning about City's wealth lol

welcome to what literally every other club thought of United pre sugar daddies

bunch of hypocrates

frankly whether it's our money or a sugar daddies' is irrelevant. the point is there's always been teams with more money than others, and it's always been unfair. until a salary cap is implemented then how much money anyone spends means feck all.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ferdinand. RVN. Rooney. Veron. Keane was a record at the time.

Cheers.
What about Rooney and Ruud? What record did Keane set? Veron and Rio were barely over what was already being paid for players and the money was earned.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

bunch of hypocrates

frankly whether it's our money or a sugar daddies' is irrelevant. the point is there's always been teams with more money than others, and it's always been unfair. until a salary cap is implemented then how much money anyone spends means feck all.
Not true. It's literally like putting a cheat code in Fifa or FM then acting like you've done something good even though it's literally a given that it's going to happen, because there's proof of it happening every time.

Not only this, but the transfer market and wage structure has been blown apart, meaning other clubs have to spend similar amounts to keep up, and guess who's pocket that essentially comes out of?
It's turned football into more of a farce than it already was.

ayushreddevil9

"Buying a new squad could only fetch you ucl ro16"... You're shifting goalposts. Buying a new squad and also only making last 16. Both of which are untrue buddy.

It is though a fair argument PSG were expected to beat us as we had a poor season domestically, but in the end we lost to the best team in Europe by 1 goal on aggregate in the semi-final (although Real were the far better side and we barely laid a glove on them over 2 legs).
Fair enough mate. From 2012 to 2016, city finished 3 times in ro16. The year they did progress was a very poor one domestically. What I really mean is that city side wasn't taking any stride forward in Europe, and when the only time they did, they were least among the favorites. They were there for the taking. Thats why city hired pep. To establish domestic consistency and lay a marker in europe.

ayushreddevil9

bunch of hypocrates

Even if we did spent a lot of money, it was our own. We weren't pumped with cash. We still had our debts to pay and had a tradition to nurture young talents.

Seriously, comparing city's situation to ours..

stepic

Not true. It's literally like putting a cheat code in Fifa or FM then acting like you've done something good even though it's literally a given that it's going to happen, because there's proof of it happening every time.

Not only this, but the transfer market and wage structure has been blown apart, meaning other clubs have to spend similar amounts to keep up, and guess who's pocket that essentially comes out of?
It's turned football into more of a farce than it already was.
Even if we did spent a lot of money, it was our own. We weren't pumped with cash. We still had our debts to pay and had a tradition to nurture young talents.

Seriously, comparing city's situation to ours..
you think if you're a fan of Burnley or Brighton it matters whether United make their own money just because we're a historic club with massive worldwide support, or because a sugar daddy props up City? it's all unfair either which way.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
you think if you're a fan of Burnley or Brighton it matters whether United make their own money just because we're a historic club with massive worldwide support, or because a sugar daddy props up City? it's all unfair either which way.
I'd like to think people can differentiate and don't see why they shouldn't. Most don't though, because they're desperate to have a dig at us.

stepic

I'd like to think people can differentiate and don't see why they shouldn't. Most don't though, because they're desperate to have a dig at us.
is it fair that historically big clubs earn more money that they can then spend over other smaller teams?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
is it fair that historically big clubs earn more money that they can then spend over other smaller teams?
I'd say yes. A club is usually bigger because they've been better, so have attracted a bigger fanbase over the years. Bigger fanbase = more money