Premier League to introduce VAR in 19/20 season

Cloud7

It’s not about being ‘Cavemen’
It’s avout whether a system such as VAR is viable to use in a fast paced game such as football, & contray to what you’ve just said I’ve seen VAR used badly & slowing games down & causing confusion. So please don’t try & say VAR is perfect. It’s not. It has the potential to change the way a games played & how we view it.
Off the top of my head it corrected wrong calls in the Classico and the Milan-Juventus games recently. Without VAR, goals would have been wrongly allowed and penalties would have been missed. So yes, it’s been proven to be viable so far, and it has changed games for the better.

It’s not perfect, but having it is far better than just living with the wrong refereeing calls. So yes, not wanting VAR, having seen how important it can be in other leagues, is the definition of being caveman.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It was inevitable. It would be bizzare if PL football remained in the 90's while pretty much every other league and sport modernised.

It's all about how they implement it really and how quickly they improve it based on the effect it has (because you can be sure that whatever version they introduce will need to be tweaked as the seasons go by).

If they use the version we had at the WC as a starting point and keep trying to improve it from there then it should be a very positive thing.

Rafaeldagold

Off the top of my head it corrected wrong calls in the Classico and the Milan-Juventus games recently. Without VAR, goals would have been wrongly allowed and penalties would have been missed. So yes, it’s been proven to be viable so far, and it has changed games for the better.

It’s not perfect, but having it is far better than just living with the wrong refereeing calls. So yes, not wanting VAR, having seen how important it can be in other leagues, is the definition of being caveman.
It can also be detrimental in other leagues. We can all cite random games to prove your point- the German game where the ref called them back after they’d already walked off at half time to give a penalty- Farcical. Goal chalked off for Mata as offside in FA Cup when it wasn’t. Many players & managers have come out against VAR in these other leagues where it’s been according to you a marvellous success.

It may get a few more calls correct which a competent ref should make anyway but it opens up a massive Pandora’s box for the future & causes issues now anyway.

So I think you’re being a caveman for just blindly wanted to go with this without looking through all the issues it could cause.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
In that German game example, when did the incident occur, and was there stoppages in play between it and half time? Also, Mata was offside, itsy bitsy tiny bit, but offside, shown in correct image after the farcical first one.

The system is still *controlled* by people, and they are still capable of making mistakes, even with the great help of VARinho.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
I HATE the anti-VAR argument that it isn’t perfect and it won’t correct every mistake.

Will it significantly reduce the number of incorrect decisions? Yes. It will. And that’s a fact. If it reduces the number of mistakes by 0.01% then it’s worth it. Don’t be scared of progress.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It can also be detrimental in other leagues. We can all cite random games to prove your point- the German game where the ref called them back after they’d already walked off at half time to give a penalty- Farcical. Goal chalked off for Mata as offside in FA Cup when it wasn’t. Many players & managers have come out against VAR in these other leagues where it’s been according to you a marvellous success.

It may get a few more calls correct which a competent ref should make anyway but it opens up a massive Pandora’s box for the future & causes issues now anyway.

So I think you’re being a caveman for just blindly wanted to go with this without looking through all the issues it could cause.
It was offside though, as per the actual rules.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's not like the premier league is taking some unknown step. All the other big leagues already have VAR.

If you want to see how it should work just watch a few la liga games.

Irrational.

About fecking time.

On a slightly unrelated note, if the FA have any sense of consistency, Charlie Austin and Mark Hughes should be getting a letter through their door right about now.

Kag

It will certainly right more wrongs (and for that reason it’s difficult to argue against its introduction). It worked quite well at the World Cup, too.

But it’s still absolutely wrong that the biggest spender (the paying supporter at the ground) gets the worst deal. Supporters need to be aware of what is going on much quicker than the current system allows. It risks detracting from the elation of watching your team score a goal. That feeling needs protecting. Whether it be the introduction of televisions in all stadiums, I’m really not sure. But something needs to change.

Cloud7

I HATE the anti-VAR argument that it isn’t perfect and it won’t correct every mistake.

Will it significantly reduce the number of incorrect decisions? Yes. It will. And that’s a fact. If it reduces the number of mistakes by 0.01% then it’s worth it. Don’t be scared of progress.
I’ve noticed that a ridiculous amount of people on here view everything in black and white. It’s either something has to be perfect, or we don’t do it at all. I do wonder how people get on with their lives viewing everything as two extremes like this when literally everything in life exists as increments.

Is VAR perfect? No. Is it better than the system we have now where wrong calls are made pretty much every game? Yes it is. That’s all there is to it.

Rafaeldagold

It was offside though, as per the actual rules.
No it was different depending on when exactly you freeze the frame to check when the ball is actually played to him. As just the slightest change in frame change if he was offside or not. How is this issue going to be worked out? Will it take a long stoppage to get exactly right?

Rafaeldagold

It will certainly right more wrongs (and for that reason it’s difficult to argue against its introduction). It worked quite well at the World Cup, too.

But it’s still absolutely wrong that the biggest spender (the paying supporter at the ground) gets the worst deal. Supporters need to be aware of what is going on much quicker than the current system allows. It risks detracting from the elation of watching your team score a goal. That feeling needs protecting. Whether it be the introduction of televisions in all stadiums, I’m really not sure. But something needs to change.
With VAR every single goal is reviewed. So that feeling can never be protected with VAR- it will detract from that.
But who cares- you’re a caveman.

RedDevil@84

You want the world to know that some refs are crap even with VAR

Minimalist

About time. Disgraceful it wasn't ready for this season.

It's got it's issues but it's significantly better than relying on refs (even with their assistants) making split second decisions.

Rafaeldagold

You need to define what ‘progress’ is. If it gets 0.01% more calls right at the detriment of the free flowing nature of the game, the not being able to celebrate a goal as every goal will be reviewed, the Pandora’s box it opens up with it obviously going to be used in more & more situations. It all depends if you think it’s worth it, I respect your opinion but I don’t think VAR is worth it.

JSArsenal

You need to define what ‘progress’ is. If it gets 0.01% more calls right at the detriment of the free flowing nature of the game, the not being able to celebrate a goal as every goal will be reviewed, the Pandora’s box it opens up with it obviously going to be used in more & more situations. It all depends if you think it’s worth it, I respect your opinion but I don’t think VAR is worth it.
Every goal will not be reviewed, come on. In your earlier post you said these are decisions a competent ref should be making. Therein lies the problem, a lot of referees are not competent, some far below that standard.

VAR will help them

Rafaeldagold

Every goal will not be reviewed, come on. In your earlier post you said these are decisions a competent ref should be making. Therein lies the problem, a lot of referees are not competent, some far below that standard.

VAR will help them
Well I’m pretty sure In VAR (in the World Cup for example) every single goal is reviewed incase there’s a reason to disallow it.
And yes some refs are awful, we should be aiming at actually demoting them & promoting & training the actual decent ones.

Great news. It was brilliant in the world cup and the standard of refereeing has been worse than ever in the PL this season.

For sure some players are going to have a huge wake up call next season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well I’m pretty sure In VAR (in the World Cup for example) every single goal is reviewed incase there’s a reason to disallow it.
And yes some refs are awful, we should be aiming at actually demoting them & promoting & training the actual decent ones.
Terminology is probably important here: every goal was checked, not reviewed. Reviews were what happened after a potential relevant issue was found with a goal.

Anyway, it's a weird point to make as players clearly didn't stop celebrating because of VAR checking goals. I mean we could literally all see them celebrating with our eyes.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’ve noticed that a ridiculous amount of people on here view everything in black and white.
Yeah, this is true all over the football forums. Try criticising a player in PP forum. Even if they’re your favourite and you’ve never said a bad word against them otherwise, someone will assume you have an agenda against them because you can’t possibly criticise once and like them.

AlwaysRed66

It will certainly improve offside decisions but have doubts on decisions where it is the interpretation of a ref whether someone is fouled or not. One of the examples that BBC are using is the Willian one against Norwich, where Lineker nearly had a hernia because ref declaring he hadn't been fouled. Over half the fans & media at time agreed with ref that Willian had dived, like I did. Making that a penalty with VAR won't improve things. Just make people more annoyed.

Rafaeldagold

Terminology is probably important here: every goal was checked, not reviewed. Reviews were what happened after a potential relevant issue was found with a goal.

Anyway, it's a weird point to make as players clearly didn't stop celebrating because of VAR checking goals. I mean we could literally all see them celebrating with our eyes.
Checked/reviewed- in either case you can’t be that sure a goal will count.

Not really a weird point as I’m going by my feelings & reactions, & not the players. Of course players will celebrate in case they have scored- possibly even to try & influence a ref to award a goal.

Many times I didn’t really celebrate properly as I thought there could be a tiny reason to disallow it. So it affected my enjoyment- Im assuming insude a stadium it’s even more confusing especially when a review is in place.

SER19

Just make sure to train the incompetent cnuts that the English refs are so they know how to use it.
Agree, while I think it’s a great change and overdue I think if anybody can make it absurdly controversial it’s a combination of English refs and media.

Simply can’t fathom those against it. Nobody is saying it should be implemented all over that’s just illogical. Penalties, offside goals and off the ball stuff,

The one that irritates me is people complaining about var after a referee reviews a penalty. There is no guarantee you will agree with the referee, all var does is allow him to review it and get better views and make the most informed decision he can. And var works perfectly for this.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I will never understand people who don't want VAR.
Here is my reason. I understand the poor refs and decisions that are happening in the game are chronic. And VAR will correct those decisions.
However, I moved to the States at an early stage and grew up watching baseball and American football in the 70s. You might laugh at baseball and the NFL but back then they were watchable. Umpires and refs got calls wrong all the time yet we still watched the games. We complained and watched the games because there was a certain flow to the game. In between plays all the showed was a huddle, no graphics and no replays.
Then a few games with the advent of slo motion replay on tv opened eyes to use the tech in the game with instant replay. At first only a few plays were reviewed. Now it's chronic. The game is stopped to the point of being unwatchable. If your a fan of a team and that team makes a positive play you hold your breath hoping a replay isn't used to review. Baseball started it next and since then I haven't watched an inning. Var will work but in the near future it will be used too much and for every close call and we will all be clamoring for the good old days with shitty reffing.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
If your a fan of a team and that team makes a positive play you hold your breath hoping a replay isn't used to review.
No, not at all. I've watched Madrid's games this season and you celebrate goals just as much as before.

If a goal gets ruled out, so be it, it's just like all those times you celebrated a goal while you weren't paying attention at players possibly being offside. Which doesn't happen all that much anyway.

ROFLUTION

Oh god no. It'll still create debatable situations as refs still will have to interpret it. My fear is that it'll soften the English physical way of playing and we'll see more fall to the ground when touched.

It better work more fluid than under the World Cup where sometimes an undeliberate handball gave a penalty and sometimes it didn't. Soooo many penalties were awarded in the group stages. That should NOT be the norm.

Also the fact that English refs (they were so bad not one was picked for the WC) will have to be in the VAR booth. Never mind getting 2-3 good judges in the VAR booth, can we actually manage to get one? And then there is 10 games a week. It'll still be interpretation, but god I really hope there will be some overall plan/line on what to VAR and not.

My personal opinion is that there should be room for doing dirty tricks too. Football shouldnt be too polished, however Id like it on offsides, etc where human interpretation is left out.

ROFLUTION

No, not at all. I've watched Madrid's games this season and you celebrate goals just as much as before.

If a goal gets ruled out, so be it, it's just like all those times you celebrated a goal while you weren't paying attention at players possibly being offside. Which doesn't happen all that much anyway.
How has the line been in Spain compared to how many extra penalties it gave in the World Cup? Has there been more falling to the ground/less physical play? Favoritism? Curious as I thought VAR was shit and inconsistent at the World Cup.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
How has the line been in Spain compared to how many extra penalties it gave in the World Cup? Has there been more falling to the ground/less physical play? Favoritism? Curious as I thought VAR was shit and inconsistent at the World Cup.
I haven't noticed that much difference to how it all was before VAR to be honest.

montpelier

I'd give it a try for 2-3 seasons. I was previously against it.

You obviously have to look at it when the ball goes in the net. And for possible penalties, otherwise what's the point of it being there.

I'd expect changes in how players behave, linos & their offside flags & more goals I think.

Good luck to the teams that are not that great and/or want to sit in & defend deep. They're gonna need it.

Minimalist

Oh god no. It'll still create debatable situations as refs still will have to interpret it. My fear is that it'll soften the English physical way of playing and we'll see more fall to the ground when touched.

It better work more fluid than under the World Cup where sometimes an undeliberate handball gave a penalty and sometimes it didn't. Soooo many penalties were awarded in the group stages. That should NOT be the norm.

Also the fact that English refs (they were so bad not one was picked for the WC) will have to be in the VAR booth. Never mind getting 2-3 good judges in the VAR booth, can we actually manage to get one? And then there is 10 games a week. It'll still be interpretation, but god I really hope there will be some overall plan/line on what to VAR and not.

My personal opinion is that there should be room for doing dirty tricks too. Football shouldnt be too polished, however Id like it on offsides, etc where human interpretation is left out.
If it's a legit foul, then yes they should be the norm.

The defenders will adjust accordingly.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
About fecking time. I thought it was a success at the World Cup. There were moments where it became a little silly, but that was the officials as opposed to the technology not working correctly. The fact that it's not perfect is a ludicrous argument against it anyway. It's meant as a tool to help officials and to eliminate as many mistakes as it can, and it does that. It will take time to get used to and iron out all the mistakes, but i have no doubt that this is a positive thing for the game.

Also adds a little drama to proceedings.