Premier League to introduce VAR in 19/20 season

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Here is my reason. I understand the poor refs and decisions that are happening in the game are chronic. And VAR will correct those decisions.
However, I moved to the States at an early stage and grew up watching baseball and American football in the 70s. You might laugh at baseball and the NFL but back then they were watchable. Umpires and refs got calls wrong all the time yet we still watched the games. We complained and watched the games because there was a certain flow to the game. In between plays all the showed was a huddle, no graphics and no replays.
Then a few games with the advent of slo motion replay on tv opened eyes to use the tech in the game with instant replay. At first only a few plays were reviewed. Now it's chronic. The game is stopped to the point of being unwatchable. If your a fan of a team and that team makes a positive play you hold your breath hoping a replay isn't used to review. Baseball started it next and since then I haven't watched an inning. Var will work but in the near future it will be used too much and for every close call and we will all be clamoring for the good old days with shitty reffing.
To be fair the reason why American sports are unwatchable is the amount of adverts!

ROFLUTION

If it's a legit foul, then yes they should be the norm.

The defenders will adjust accordingly.
They weren't legit many of the penalties though. Lot of incidents where there was a penalty which was not rewarded. Even worse when you considered the overall line. Brazil x 2, Denmark, from the top of my head.. probably others..

Legit just means according to what line is allowed for physical contact. I wouldnt like that line to be very sensible. There's a reason I like english football compared to spanish too.

Mike Smalling

Was not a fan during the World Cup, so not looking forward to this. The amount of penalties given will skyrocket in the first seasons, I imagine.

montpelier

Was not a fan during the World Cup, so not looking forward to this. The amount of penalties given will skyrocket in the first seasons, I imagine.
I'm not surprised you're not looking forward to this. Where do you think you'll end up playing?

Phil

Finally.

And don't worry about lack of talking points. The refs will still be shit, just less shit.

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
Please do elaborate.
Mark Clattenburg was the PL ref selected for WC2018 but he moved to take up a role in Saudi football before the WC began and hence became ineligible. It was too late to submit another name from the PL and consequently there was no representation from England. Nothing to do with incompetence or standards within the English game.

Rafaeldagold

They weren't legit many of the penalties though. Lot of incidents where there was a penalty which was not rewarded. Even worse when you considered the overall line. Brazil x 2, Denmark, from the top of my head.. probably others..

Legit just means according to what line is allowed for physical contact. I wouldnt like that line to be very sensible. There's a reason I like english football compared to spanish too.
Exactly with VAR what was once a strong challenge & fair before could now be deemed a foul- the physicality element is going to change & the amount of penalties given at corners & ones ruled out will go up so much

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
:) No, they're the ones who enjoy live football, but it's ending soon, so it doesn't matter.
I'm almost afraid to ask but what on fecking earth does "live football" mean in your context? It will still be played by... human. And you might attend it and lots of games will be broadcasted.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Have you ever watched an NFL game with replays?
I watch the NFL virtually every Sunday (mainly b/c of fantasy football) and it's a lie that reviews are chronic. Instant replay has nothing to do with reviews. Furthermore, the NFL has frequent stoppages so there are by default more opportunities to review plays. And @Raees is correct, the problem with American sports is the number of stoppages which allow for replay, not replay itself.

The NFL has an average of 1.3 reviews per game since 1999. Given about 70-80 plays are run per game 1.3 is not a lot
https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/history-of-instant-replay/

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How do people not want VAR. The Sterling penalty last week alone is reason enough. It's basically the end of diving to get a pen.

Of course it'snot perfect, but that's a silly argument. We have var over here as well and it's a massive improvement.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So what was the reason for the league not wanting it this season? :lol:
Trials in the FA cup last season weren't a great success.

In fairness it worked much better in WC than I expected and the 5 minute delays of last season in Seria A and Bundesliga seem to have been ironed out so now is the time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Something that confuses me about VAR is the replays they show on telly.

They’re seriously crap quality. Only a limited selection of angles, all from quite far away and they’re not even slowed down very much. Why is that? Are those the same views that are being used to make the decision?

Whenever I’ve seen video technology used in other sports you get super slo mo, in extreme close up, from loads of angles before a decision is made. Anyone know what the feck is going on?

Dannic

Supports
Liverpool
Exactly with VAR what was once a strong challenge & fair before could now be deemed a foul- the physicality element is going to change & the amount of penalties given at corners & ones ruled out will go up so much
I don't really understand this point. VAR doesn't mean that fair challenges are now fouls. It means that a challenge that was difficult to judge can be assessed properly. And in addition there's nothing stopping the referee from making an incorrect decision now. Do referees always allow strong but fair challenges?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Something that confuses me about VAR is the replays they show on telly.

They’re seriously crap quality. Only a limited selection of angles, all from quite far away and they’re not even slowed down very much. Why is that? Are those the same views that are being used to make the decision?

Whenever I’ve seen video technology used in other sports you get super slo mo, in extreme close up, from loads of angles before a decision is made. Anyone know what the feck is going on?
Yeah same for me.

Liverpool-WBA last season they showed a close up of the ref watching the play and he was watching same angles as all the viewers! Being at Anfield it was the camera position on top of their main stand. No wonder he took five minutes to decide if it was a penalty. Live matches have 20-30 cameras so should be no excuse at all.

Rafaeldagold

I don't really understand this point. VAR doesn't mean that fair challenges are now fouls. It means that a challenge that was difficult to judge can be assessed properly. And in addition there's nothing stopping the referee from making an incorrect decision now. Do referees always allow strong but fair challenges?
Firstly every challenge in slow mo video replay looks much worse. So will look worse with VAR.
secondly no some refs don’t let a game flow & penalise everything- so is that a reason to bring in var which makes it worse?

RochaRoja

Will the Premier League use the four video refs system like at the World Cup?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure how they will do. Implementation in the league cup doesn't look good though. The officials are confused as when to flag is different with VAR in use. Should be at the end of play sequence if descison is tight, not the beginning!

Can see there is a huge flaw in how they look at offsides. They're only considering where feet are planted not head or chest if the player is leaning forward. Kane offside yesterday but incorrectly given on.

They don't seem to use all the TV angles which I think they do in La Liga.

Rafaeldagold

So where’s all those condescending pro VAR people on here who claimed the system was great everywhere else & those against it are just ‘living in caves’?
Well it seems Sarri & Pochettetino don’t like it & that contray to the lies stated in this thread it’s not universally popular where VAR is introduced :

Pochettino: ‘ I don't like the VAR," he said. "Today we get the benefit of it but after watching the World Cup and another league like La Liga, I see that nobody is happy from day one that they started to use it.

We all have to agree - the players, the coaching staff. I watch La Liga every week and nobody is happy, the big clubs and the small clubs. If you are playing to win the title or to stay up, nobody is happy.

ROFLUTION

I dont know, last season there was the Niasse penalty incident - this was considered diving and penalised (incorrectly imo), but there were so many incidents of Sterling getting a slight touch and went down getting penalties/freekicks (diving to me) where no charge ever was made. Salah has been in a grayzone too, and goes down when he's slightly touched.

Just saying it'll now be refs who in first instance might spot a slight touch and award a penalty, and if that doesnt happen, the VAR system can also do it.. So in theory this should result in more stops and penalties. Or will they throw cards at diving inconsistently?

There needs to be a clear set of rules, so Niasses and Sterlings are not treated differently and at the same time not every slight touch is given. If that happens, then its more power to the ball-possessioning teams as they'll have more chances for pens.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah same for me.

Liverpool-WBA last season they showed a close up of the ref watching the play and he was watching same angles as all the viewers! Being at Anfield it was the camera position on top of their main stand. No wonder he took five minutes to decide if it was a penalty. Live matches have 20-30 cameras so should be no excuse at all.
If that really is the case then the whole thing is a farce. Seriously, what’s the fecking point?

Pagh Wraith

So where’s all those condescending pro VAR people on here who claimed the system was great everywhere else & those against it are just ‘living in caves’?
Well it seems Sarri & Pochettetino don’t like it & that contray to the lies stated in this thread it’s not universally popular where VAR is introduced :

Pochettino: ‘ I don't like the VAR," he said. "Today we get the benefit of it but after watching the World Cup and another league like La Liga, I see that nobody is happy from day one that they started to use it.

We all have to agree - the players, the coaching staff. I watch La Liga every week and nobody is happy, the big clubs and the small clubs. If you are playing to win the title or to stay up, nobody is happy.
Don't get this. Thanks to VAR Spurs deservedly got a penalty they otherwise would not have got. Surely that's a good thing.

DBT85

Always said just do it from where the bloody feet are and keep it simple.

"but but his patella is offside!"

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah, I just saw that as well (see other thread). This really needs to be improved. Looks like they just put the blue line at Kane's feet.
Kane's head is definitely offside there. The way I've always understood it is that you can be offside with any playable part of your body.

What are the officials playing at?
That’s what blows my mind about the whole thing. The TV seems to be showing the footage used to make the decision (someone please correct me if I’m wrong?) and it’s terrible! Taken from a very small number of unhelpful angles and scrolled through so rapidly it’s impossible to be certain what happened. Couldn’t be more different to, say, rugby where you get loads of angles, in extreme close up, slowed right down and played back again and again. If you’re going to use video technology use it properly ffs. As it stands, it’s a fecking farce.

R'hllor

VAR in PL is fecked, level of incompetence will be transfered to VAR room. This whole thing isnt fault of VAR system, also noticed even before WC that certain group of people really wanna see VAR to fail and be abandoned.

Ole90+3

That’s what blows my mind about the whole thing. The TV seems to be showing the footage used to make the decision (someone please correct me if I’m wrong?) and it’s terrible! Taken from a very small number of unhelpful angles and scrolled through so rapidly it’s impossible to be certain what happened. Couldn’t be more different to, say, rugby where you get loads of angles, in extreme close up, slowed right down and played back again and again. If you’re going to use video technology use it properly ffs. As it stands, it’s a fecking farce.
It's got to make you question the intelligence and competence of the people in charge of implementing the VAR technology into the sport. I mean the technology has already been successfully integrated, and is a key part of, other sports which aren't worlds apart from football. Why can't they just follow the methods used by Rugby, AFL, NFL? What makes football so unbelievably different and difficult to referee?

Player Red

Not sure if it is worth creating a new VAR thread for the official season, but was just wondering if Old Trafford has implemented screens to show the decisions on?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
VAR in PL is fecked, level of incompetence will be transfered to VAR room. This whole thing isnt fault of VAR system, also noticed even before WC that certain group of people really wanna see VAR to fail and be abandoned.
Definitely doesn't change that much. Now everyone is simply saying that the VAR is always in favor of club X. I'd just use it for cut and clear stuff like off side and balls being over the line.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Not sure if it is worth creating a new VAR thread for the official season, but was just wondering if Old Trafford has implemented screens to show the decisions on?
Apparently not, only text messages for the OT crowd.
With a priority on the supporter experience within the ground, at Old Trafford, this will be done via the LED scoreboards and over the PA system, which will simultaneously pass on the details and decisions that come from the Premier League HQ when a VAR review is taking place.

United's focus is on ensuring the matchday experience isn't overly impacted by the new format, so this differs from some other grounds that have the option to show VAR-decision replays via in-stadium screens.

Which other PL team doesn't have a screen in their stadium ? :confused:

Player Red

Apparently not, only text messages for the OT crowd.
With a priority on the supporter experience within the ground, at Old Trafford, this will be done via the LED scoreboards and over the PA system, which will simultaneously pass on the details and decisions that come from the Premier League HQ when a VAR review is taking place.

United's focus is on ensuring the matchday experience isn't overly impacted by the new format, so this differs from some other grounds that have the option to show VAR-decision replays via in-stadium screens.

Which other PL team doesn't have a screen in their stadium ? :confused:
I think Liverpool also don't have a screen to show replays.