Premier League TV Rights | Amazon buy one package

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not happy with a third subscription being needed, but I have Prime already so I'm all right (Jack). I'm more interested in that Amazon will be showing all of the games played in those rounds, so we won't be in the situation of watching whichever game Sky/BT decide/are forced to broadcast on any given night, which is a definite positive.
Anybody who likes La Liga will be shelling out four subscriptions.

crossy1686

career ending
Cool. I guess we can look forward forward to the cost of Prime going up pretty soon then?

Can the Premier League themselves not have the monopoly though, since it is their content? I understand (though I don't really condone) that one single 3rd party broadcaster can't own all the packages, but if the Premier League created their own platform for their own content via a streaming app/website, then wouldn't that be different?

No chance it will happen anyway, as they probably make 10x the amount from Sky/BT than they would if they sold a direct service to viewers for £9.99 a month or something.
Someone else just said it was a European Commission decision, not a UK government one so it won't stand as of next year anyway. I suspect it will go that way at some point, I think the PL now branding themselves is the first step in the PL becoming a brand that can offer something along those lines in the future.

If they do go to a one stop shop subscription service, it will be most likely have different subscription options that would increase in price. People in the UK will get the shittest deal with only games available that aren't 3 o'clock kick offs.

Minimalist

That’s not his point.

His point is if he wants to watch premier league football he needs to subscribe to 3 different companies, when it would be better if he only subscribed to just one to watch the premier league.
The issue is exclusivity isn't it? People like to say that capitalism/free-markets encourages competition, which is in turn good for the customer getting the best price. But in this case, the matches are split and we have no idea which package gets what matches (although we can sometimes guess).

The only way this stuff would work is if BT/Sky/Amazon/Whoever were given access to all the matches and the customers had to make a choice based on the presentation/pundits/commentators etc. Which of course will never happen. Personally I know a lot of people who have stopped paying for any of it and either just listen to it on the radio (while at the gym or out on the bike) or will use illegal streams.

Mana

Supports
Chelsea
So you get 20 matches.
While it's only 20 matches, it's the first time in PL history in the UK:
  • To watch it via streaming
  • Watch every single match played live on that matchweek. So like what America (NBCSN) has with their multi select on which live game you want to watch.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Streams are hell on earth. Maybe one of these dodgy boxes is the answer if they actually work for a full match
Depends what kind of dodgy box you mean?
The Pi boxes are shite in my experience. They're just streams too but even harder to find one that works.
Dodgy Sky box might be alright for Sky/BT games but I've only ever known one person with one.

Grib

Sod this bring back the monopoly, paying three different providers and still not even getting all the games

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
It's part of an EU deal that more than 1 company have to have a product so consumers have options I think

Problem is none of them have the same product, they all have a different product when it comes to TV rights as 3 companies can not show the same match

It works in theory but in practice like it is now it just costs the consumer more money to watch now

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's part of an EU deal that more than 1 company have to have a product so consumers have options I think

Problem is none of them have the same product, they all have a different product when it comes to TV rights as 3 companies can not show the same match

It works in theory but in practice like it is now it just costs the consumer more money to watch now
I think that deal of expired.

But I agree

Minimalist

So is this the fault of the PL then? The ones selling the rights?

Genuinely trying to understand who's causing this..

Jig1234

Sod this bring back the monopoly, paying three different providers and still not even getting all the games
Best hope is Amazon see it as a success and look to buy more rights, ideally all of them. Amazon Prime is pretty popular already, a lot of people will have it or might consider getting it.

That was going to expire anyway wasn't it?

Edit - looks like that expired in 2010. Premier league kept that agreement anyway
I don't know when it expired but it's not like it mattered. The EC would just insist on it again if the PL tried to sell it all to one company again.

The issue is exclusivity isn't it? People like to say that capitalism/free-markets encourages competition, which is in turn good for the customer getting the best price. But in this case, the matches are split and we have no idea which package gets what matches (although we can sometimes guess).

The only way this stuff would work is if BT/Sky/Amazon/Whoever were given access to all the matches and the customers had to make a choice based on the presentation/pundits/commentators etc. Which of course will never happen. Personally I know a lot of people who have stopped paying for any of it and either just listen to it on the radio (while at the gym or out on the bike) or will use illegal streams.
Its not competition though. It's a bit like privatised railways, it's the worst of both worlds and not really privatisation at all. It's only competition if multiple companies can offer the same thing. Genuine competition would have been great but the FA probably foresaw that and knew this would get around the rules without risking real price competition.

Grib

Best hope is Amazon see it as a success and look to buy more rights, ideally all of them. Amazon Prime is pretty popular already, a lot of people will have it or might consider getting it.
Maybe, but personally I cant see it, sky and bt would have so much to lose

But it is what it is ;/

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
So is this the fault of the PL then? The ones selling the rights?

Genuinely trying to understand who's causing this..
I would assume so, they are selling 3 packages available so they are dictating what they are selling

I'm not too sure on this but this is my asumption

Classical Mechanic

This Amazon bollox is the final straw for me. I presume it means that people with a Sky box can’t record any matches shown on Amazon?

I think I’ll cancel Sky/BT subs and just watch streams.
IPTV is the way forward currently.

As for Amazon. I'm surprised how many people seem to believe that their subscription price won't be affected when this doesn't kick in until 2019.

Minimalist

They're the ones benefit most
Yup and us lemons will line up to bend over and take it.

Well not me personally, I can't afford Sky never mind BT etc. But I assume enough people are willing to pay that they know it's a good deal.

stubie

No doubt Ian Wright will be on Amazon as he seems to be on everything else (BBC, ITV, SKY, BT)

Castia

Am I reading that right? Amazon get 2 match days but every game will be available? So 10 games each day over 2 separate days?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Am I reading that right? Amazon get 2 match days but every game will be available? So 10 games each day over 2 separate days?
12:32
New Premier League broadcast deal
Online streaming site Amazon Prime will show 20 Premier League matches a season for three years from 2019, after winning one of the final two broadcast packages.

The company have secured the rights to show every game from the first round of midweek games in December and all 10 games on Boxing Day as part of the three-year deal.

Minimalist

Online streaming site Amazon Prime will show 20 Premier League matches a season for three years from 2019, after winning one of the final two broadcast packages.

The company have secured the rights to show every game from the first round of midweek games in December and all 10 games on Boxing Day as part of the three-year deal.
LOL lots of free trials being used there.

Must be just Amazon testing the waters.

tomaldinho1

This is awesome for me (as a Prime subscriber) as it seems they've got a decent block of games over Christmas.

"right to show every game from the first round of midweek games in December and all 10 games on Boxing Day as part of the three-year deal."

I assume this is a trial period and prices will remain low to sucker people in, if they come for the PL properly and try to get the bulk of the packages I'm sure the prices will rocket

Bojan11

Eh?

AndyJ1985

I would love for Amazon to eventually buy every package and show all of the premier league football. £80 a year is extremely reasonable, and even if they upped the cost a little it'd still be far better value for money than shite like Sky.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

:lol:

So two one off days.

Whatever they paid for that, it's too much.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
A step too far. I refuse to get a third subscription. Will mean missing a United game "by choice" but I refuse to buy Amazon when streaming services rely on speedy broadband which is never guaranteed. I have been putting off getting Netflix for a while now... Stuff the PL who think they can just sit back and think we will keep on shelling out money. CNUTS

EyeInTheSky

Won't be long now until at least one of the parties starts offering specific packages to watch your team every week. Probably start with United to test the waters. About fecking time. So many other countries get to see United live every game including Saturdays.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I would love for Amazon to eventually buy every package and show all of the premier league football. £80 a year is extremely reasonable, and even if they upped the cost a little it'd still be far better value for money than shite like Sky.
But you can’t record games, which makes it massively inferior to Sky, no matter how much it costs.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Wouldn’t surprise me if the price of Prime subscription will increase in the future.

I’m already a Prime member so this doesn’t affect me too much, but it’s annoying how you require 3 subscriptions to watch the games on TV. Not exactly favourable to the average consumer.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
But you can’t record games, which makes it massively inferior to Sky, no matter how much it costs.
I suspect they’ll be available as on demand shortly after the broadcast has finished?

Smores

IPTV is the way forward currently.

As for Amazon. I'm surprised how many people seem to believe that their subscription price won't be affected when this doesn't kick in until 2019.
It won't in the short term, they make enough profit by just getting people onto their prime service which is the aim here. My guess is that they want as many subscribers as possible for when they roll out the likes of Prime Now nationwide.

Certainly won't get a full schedule of games for free though

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Streams are hell on earth. Maybe one of these dodgy boxes is the answer if they actually work for a full match
I think you might be doing it wrong. Have you tried acestream?

Bojan11

It won't in the short term, they make enough profit by just getting people onto their prime service which is the aim here. My guess is that they want as many subscribers as possible for when they roll out the likes of Prime Now nationwide.

Certainly won't get a full schedule of games for free though
It will go up in the next year or so.

They also got the ATP rights. So they gonna have to bump up the price to pay for all these rights.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This year I'll be paying £10 a month to access to all Premier League games (it also comes with several different channels so it's not really £10 just for PL), £5 a month for all CL games and £3 a month for access to all La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A games but starting 2019-20 I will no longer need to pay £10 for PL games as they'll be in the £3 package with all other European leagues. So down from £18 a month to £8 a month.

Oh, and all World Cup games are free.

I love my country.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
If that ever happens you can be sure there will be a substantial enough extra charge from Amazon. The full set of (or nearly all) packages would cost them billions over 3-4 seasons. Even Amazon with their deep pockets would push that cost back to customers and people will pay it as so many already are for Sky and BT (less so BT).

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I'm glad to see Amazon enter the fray. Online streaming of football is inevitable, satellite services are going the way of the dodo, so I'm very interested to see what their offering is like.

Hopefully the next set of packages in 3/4 years time will have a lot more "all matches simultaneously" options, although that will mean retracting the 3pm blackout law.