Preseason Tour Game 1: Man Utd vs Club America (Friendly, Friday 20th July 03:00 BST)

svastian99

Only the first preseason game .. you do not have to draw so many conclusions.

P.S.: Just sell Darmian please
The kit looked nice

Last edited:

el3mel

I think the most worrying thing today was how poor and disjointed the attack looked like. The 3 attackers could barely string 2 good passes and looked very distant from each other. The fact that 2 of them will be starting the first games doesn't give any sort of confidence whatsover.

Impressed with Chong. Looked like the only attacker today who knows what to do with the ball. Still not fully mature yet but talent is obvious and he was on the right flank. Want to see more of him.

Mitchell did nothing and looked not ready for first team football. Should go on another loan. Love Bailly but the goal was his responsibility, lost the header quite easily.

Overall a shite game but nothing unexpected. The attack was very worrying to see though. We need more movement in the market that's for sure.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Chong looked bright and had some good moments. Greenwood had the one dribble and shot but other then that couldnt get involved. Gomes not enough time sadly. The rest were meh. First preseason game, only so much you can read into it, but was a bit shit from most of them. Hoping Chong and Gomes get more time together in the next game, while It'll probably be Bohui instead of Greenwood for the next game.

el3mel

Also, why the hell did Darmian play ? I thought his agent said he's negotiating with Juve ?

bpet15

First match back after 3 days training - about what I expected.

Biggest takeaway for me was how absolute shit our red kits are. Disgraceful.

Seven Seas Sardines

Chong MOTM, really hope he can challenge for Mata's squad place. Why on earth play Darmian instead of youngsters? Sad not to see all of them. Now Sanchez comes in and soon Fred and Matic. Then there will be even less minutes for Chong, Gomes, Greenwood and the others youth players.

Did we really need Herrera and Bailly for 90 minutes? I'd have wanted to see lots more changes, a lot earlier. Let everyone have a pop and reward the best performers with a start in the second game. Even I could teach Mourinho a trick or two about motivation and nurturing youth.

Last edited:

Silas

I think the most worrying thing today was how poor and disjointed the attack looked like. The 3 attackers could barely string 2 good passes and looked very distant from each other. The fact that 2 of them will be starting the first games doesn't give any sort of confidence whatsover.

Impressed with Chong. Looked like the only attacker today who knows what to do with the ball. Still not fully mature yet but talent is obvious and he was on the right flank. Want to see more of him.

Mitchell did nothing and looked not ready for first team football. Should go on another loan. Love Bailly but the goal was his responsibility, lost the header quite easily.

Overall a shite game but nothing unexpected. The attack was very worrying to see though. We need more movement in the market that's for sure.
To be fair to Mitchell, he's more of a LB these days (played there for the last two or three seasons). Harsh to judge him based on his first preseason game in a different position.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
People shouldn't read too much into it to be honest, our first preseason game and we did okay all things considered.

el3mel

To be fair to Mitchell, he's more of a LB these days (played there for the last two or three seasons). Harsh to judge him based on his first preseason game in a different position.
He lost the ball on the slightest pressure quite often especially in second half. Not criticizing him for not attacking well but physically wise doesn't look ready yet for this level imo. Should go on another loan. Staying here now won't serve him any purpose.

Jonno

Tuanzebe and Gomes going to get 3-4 minutes... Don't understand why. It's the first pre-season game, surely they can get way more then that
To give the stronger players more minutes? Surely that's the most important thing, to get them fitter for the Leicester game? Giving them 45 mins, 60 mins results in less match sharpness and we play in 3 weeks.

kundalini

Most players played ok, worked hard, made the occasional error.

As a team we started reasonably well then lost control of the match for the middle 45 mins or so, then decent spell towards the end.

Last edited:

Silas

He lost the ball on the slightest pressure quite often especially in second half. Not criticizing him for not attacking well but physically wise doesn't look ready yet for this level imo. Should go on another loan. Staying here now won't serve him any purpose.
Fair enough, I agree with that.

Canagel

So who impressed and who didn't? Just got up now. Didn't see the game.

Bwuk

First game after 3 training sessions and people going over board about the performance ffs.

Remember when we beat Barca in pre season under LvG and everyone got carried away? It’s a friendly....

Dion

Sorry... he's just not got anything about him. His technique isn't good enough for the Premier League, he'll have a respectable career at a middling team in the Dutch league though. Groningen or Utrecht will be about his level.

Canagel

Chong the only one who impressed.

Rest were average or below it.
OK. Did we at least play as a team or was it still the usual disjointed stuff? Either way it's only the first game and you can't read much into it. The result doesnt mean anything at this stage. What matters is the intentions and developing our style of football etc.

el3mel

OK. Did we at least play as a team or was it still the usual disjointed stuff? Either way it's only the first game and you can't read much into it. The result doesnt mean anything at this stage. What matters is the intentions and developing our style of football etc.
The attack was very disjointed which was worrying to see imo since 2 of the 3 attackers will be the starters in the first few matches of the league. We only started to play well in the last 30 minutes with Chong introduction who gave us a needed spark.

roseguy64

Chong MOTM, really hope he can challenge for Mata's squad place. Why on earth play Darmian instead of youngsters? Sad not to see all of them. Now Sanchez comes in and soon Fred and Matic. Then there will be even less minutes for Chong, Gomes, Greenwood and the others youth players.

Did we really need Herrera and Bailly for 90 minutes? I'd have wanted to see lots more changes, a lot earlier. Let everyone have a pop and reward the best performers with a start in the second game. Even I could teach Mourinho a trick or two about motivation and nurturing youth.
It's likely that Herrera, Pereira, Bailly and Smalling will play less minutes next game.

Dion

:lol::houllier:

This guy.
I'll bet you TFM isn't a starter in any of the top 5 leagues (EPL, Spain, France, Italy or Germany) in 2 years time. He also won't be at United. I'll happily take your money.

fallengt

was it still the usual disjointed stuff
It was. We had last 20 minutes of actual football or so.
I don't care about the pre-season result, we could lost 0-5 and I still wouldn't give a feck but football wise, I don't think we were coached properly.
Inb4: "our first game after the break, match fitness blahblah", yea you could coach the team to play properly in first game.

Dion

I don't care about the pre-season result, we could lost 0-5 and I still wouldn't give a feck but football wise, I don't think we're coached properly.
Inb4: "our first game after the break, match fitness blahblah", yea you could coach the team to play properly in first game.
Hasn't the group only been together for a week and is missing about 80% of it's most important players, playing against a team who is essentially ready to start their season?

KM

I don't care about the pre-season result, we could lost 0-5 and I still wouldn't give a feck but football wise, I don't think we were coached properly.
Christ what an horrible post this is.

Seven Seas Sardines

MUTV were really excited about Chong, and Mourinho replied that "he can take people on but his physical disadvantage is obvious". Tahith played really well defensively, brushing off several opponents for interceptions and tackles. Hope my dislike for Mourinho doesn't turn into hate once the season starts, he always finds a way to kill hope once it appears.

fallengt

Christ what an horrible post this is.
Do explain? Some team may have good preseason some teams may not but surely there's a reason behind it no? Or You think it's a dice rolling thing?

I repeat myself again I don't care about result at all. Seeing no one makes movement when one of their teammate receives the ball is not okay.

Jojo <3 Mou

So, I watched the second half. We looked less intense and a bit tired. They gave us a good competitive game. Not impressed with Martial, Bailly and Herrera. They all made errors not related to fitness (in my opinion). Martial always looks not involved in the game when he plays as a CF. He doesnt hold the ball up well and cant seem to connect the attack. Bailly makes poor decisions and his pace wont always save him. He also has poor concentration and is too aggressive. Herrera kept giving away the ball and his passes were not good!!

Edit: Maybe tiredness/lack of fitness contributed to these errors, but they are all repeat offenders. These actions are holdovers from last season.

Why is it that this team struggles to maintain possession under pressure even when we have Pogba and Matic playing? I think we need to work on how to keep the ball.

Last edited:

SER19

A million big ones who can list all the teams, scores and scorers of our pre season games last season and the impact any of it had on a strong start. Pre season games, especially the first, with half a squad, are about finesss and nothing else.

KM

MUTV were really excited about Chong, and Mourinho replied that "he can take people on but his physical disadvantage is obvious". Tahith played really well defensively, brushing off several opponents for interceptions and tackles. Hope my dislike for Mourinho doesn't turn into hate once the season starts, he always finds a way to kill hope once it appears.
I mean I don't like Mourinho too, but he was pretty complimentary about Chong before and after this quote.

KM

Do explain? Some team may have good preseason some teams may not but surely there's a reason behind it no? Or You think it's a dice rolling thing?

I repeat myself again I don't care about result at all. Seeing no one makes movement when one of their teammate receives the ball is not okay.
Club America start their season in a week or so, they're a month ahead of us in fitness terms. Isn't it obvious that they'd look far more sharper than any of our players, they made quite a lot of interceptions in the first half due to the fact that they were sharper.

Canagel

A Pereira should be ahead of McTominay and Herrera when everyone is available. And occasionally fill in for Matic as well. He is one of the few players we have that can keep the ball.