Preseason Tour Game 1: Man Utd vs Club America (Friendly, Friday 20th July 03:00 BST)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Preseason schedule (all times BST (GMT+1)):

Squad (via MEN):

GK: Romero, J Pereira, Lee Grant
DF: Valencia, Darmian, Diogo Dalot, Shaw, Smalling, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Mitchell, Williams
MF: Ander Herrera, Pereira, McTominay, Garner, Hamilton
FW: Mata, Martial, Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Bohui

Godfather

Won't bother getting up for games at 4 and 3 am. Lack of exciting transfers and a general lack of enthusiasm for next season.

RedPamie

Looking forward to this! Mostly I just miss United playing, but want to know about the young players and maybe Martial and Mourinho's relationship.

Judas

Open to offers
Look forward to watching the highlights in the morning just to see how the kids get on, but the days of me staying up/waking up for friendlies are long gone.

Middle of the night in Europe :(

Could be a rough game for us. The Mexican league is much stronger than the cannon fodder we usually play on the North American tours and that squad is pretty weak.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Cheers damo. 10pm Thursday night for me. As much as I'm feeling just apathetic towards the new season and not really optimistic, I am looking forward to the pre season as funny as that is. Will definitely see loads of Chong, Gomes and especially Pereira with so few of our attackers there (plus with the Sanchez stuff). Martial and Mata our only 2 senior attackers, Shaw the main left back... and it'll be that way for the first few weeks of the season too, so it's a big chance for a lot of these players to hit the ground running.
From what I remember, Mourinho liked mixing it up for both halves rather then one half full starters and one half full subs. At least for the first few games.
Guessing:
Pereira
Valencia Tuanzebe Bailly Shaw
Hamilton Mctominay Fosu-Mensah
Mata Martial Gomes

Romero
Dalot Smalling Williams Darmian
Herrera Garner Pereira
Chong Bohui Mitchell
Quick google search says Hamilton and Garner are both defensive mids, adding on to TFM while Herrera and Mctominay are more all rounders but more defensive in nature. Hard to say how we'll line up, and with Greenwood being 16 years old he'll probably only get a few sub appearances. Still excited for Martial being the main striker basically to start the season, Shaw if he can finally make the most of his opportunity, see if Pereira can impress enough to be part of the squad as it'd help creatively, and then for Chong and Gomes especially to get their chances.

Inter Yer Nan

All good times for me. Thursday I'll probably watch the America game at my local. There's a few America fans that frequent. Milan next Wednesday I'll go to.

Bit underwhelming though that obviously none of the World Cup players are in the squad and Sanchez won't be there. Sucks because last summer I was in Boston when we played in LA. Missed it by a day. Should be good seeing some of the youngsters though but with the exception of Dalot and McTominay I don't think we'll see much of them over the next season.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Won't bother downloading the game the day after and definitely won't bother staying up for it. Highlights will have to do (if there are any deserving of the term)

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Won't bother downloading the game the day after and definitely won't bother staying up for it. Highlights will have to do (if there are any deserving of the term)
Not a fan of pre-season games in the middle of the night then?

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
would be cool to see United again but I will download the game and rewatch it, not waking up at 3, excited for all the young players, hope they show the hunger and the quality that we are capable of puting a mix of snior and young players and playing some good football.

Garner, Chong and Dalot the ones to watch for me! hope Hamilton have some good games too

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Look forward to watching the highlights in the morning just to see how the kids get on, but the days of me staying up/waking up for friendlies are long gone.
Makes me think back to the times where everyone used to brag about how we win stuff without buying success and we do it through believing in our youth players. Fast forward a few years after Fergie had retired and now look.... We've got some really talented youngsters going on tour and people don't give a shit because there's not enough shiny new signings or superstars on show.

el3mel

Hopefully young talents take the chance and have a tour of their life.

Loublaze

ATLien
All good times for me. Thursday I'll probably watch the America game at my local. There's a few America fans that frequent. Milan next Wednesday I'll go to.

Bit underwhelming though that obviously none of the World Cup players are in the squad and Sanchez won't be there. Sucks because last summer I was in Boston when we played in LA. Missed it by a day. Should be good seeing some of the youngsters though but with the exception of Dalot and McTominay I don't think we'll see much of them over the next season.
As far as I know the game won't be televised in the US. The others will be on ESPN and ESPN2

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Will watch the ones on in the evening british time. Not too bothered about the ones in the morning. Hard to be enticed with the squad we have over there although i can understand it given the players need a rest.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Will definitely stay up for it. First time to watch the team in ages.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
In some ways I'd want us to have a terrible pre season. Seems like every time we blow away the opposition in pre season, the season itself is a bit of a letdown. Plus I'd be ok with Mou making another WC panic buy like Pep would do.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
In some ways I'd want us to have a terrible pre season. Seems like every time we blow away the opposition in pre season, the season itself is a bit of a letdown. Plus I'd be ok with Mou making another WC panic buy like Pep would do.
Agreed. van Gaal's first pre season comes to mind.

Wasn't there a pre season where Chelsea lost literally all of their games, then swept all before them & walked the league? Or am I making this up haha.

Eddy_JukeZ

Well, we also had a horrible pre-season in 2016 and our league form that season was atrocious.

So it certainly varies.

Except the Champions League proves they aren't much stronger at all.
Not sure what you're getting at here? Mexican teams have won the CONCACAF Champions League for the last 10 years running. In fact, only 3 non Mexican teams have even made the final in that time.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Not sure what you're getting at here? Mexican teams have won the CONCACAF Champions League for the last 10 years running. In fact, only 3 non Mexican teams have even made the final in that time.
Getting at Toronto FC beating this very team. Toronto beating Tigres. NY red bulls trashing Tijuana. Chivas only winning the finals over Toronto on penalties. Chivas only limping by Red bulls in semis. Not sure what you're getting at citing results from 10 years ago. Look at what has actually happened this year and they aren't much better at all. And that's with them having the benefit of being mid season while MLS sides were in pre-season mode.

Canagel

If losing games and having a poor pre season means that we go into the transfer market and strengthen I'm all for it. But losing is never nice of course.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
These American tours work perfectly for me. Usually fall just in the middle of my shift when I've got nothing on. All crowded round the iPad it is.

Bwuk

I’ll record this, not going to stay up to watch it at that time.

Really looking forward to seeing Dalot. I’ve got high hopes for him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Not working on Friday, so I'll stay up to watch this one. Normally the first games tend to be us playing rather dysfunctionally, but I'm hoping with the injection of youth dotted around the team it may be a bit more lively.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Looking forward to seeing James Garner play, hopefully he will get plenty of minutes without Matic. A mate raves about him being the new Carrick. And to be honest from this video he certainly can pass the ball forward well. Many top level pros wouldn't even see some of those passes.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Cheers damo. 10pm Thursday night for me. As much as I'm feeling just apathetic towards the new season and not really optimistic, I am looking forward to the pre season as funny as that is. Will definitely see loads of Chong, Gomes and especially Pereira with so few of our attackers there (plus with the Sanchez stuff). Martial and Mata our only 2 senior attackers, Shaw the main left back... and it'll be that way for the first few weeks of the season too, so it's a big chance for a lot of these players to hit the ground running.
From what I remember, Mourinho liked mixing it up for both halves rather then one half full starters and one half full subs. At least for the first few games.
Guessing:
Pereira
Valencia Tuanzebe Bailly Shaw
Hamilton Mctominay Fosu-Mensah
Mata Martial Gomes

Romero
Dalot Smalling Williams Darmian
Herrera Garner Pereira
Chong Bohui Mitchell
Quick google search says Hamilton and Garner are both defensive mids, adding on to TFM while Herrera and Mctominay are more all rounders but more defensive in nature. Hard to say how we'll line up, and with Greenwood being 16 years old he'll probably only get a few sub appearances. Still excited for Martial being the main striker basically to start the season, Shaw if he can finally make the most of his opportunity, see if Pereira can impress enough to be part of the squad as it'd help creatively, and then for Chong and Gomes especially to get their chances.
Who the shit is Bohui?