Preseason Tour Game 5: Man Utd v Real Madrid (ICC, Wednesday 1st August 01:05 BST)

haram

Shall we all agree not to read too much into the game, and not to get too emotional, whatever the result of this pre-season friendly?
Tbh, I just want to see the first teamers do well. It’s way too early in some of the younger lads careers to look into how they perform this summer.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
They dont gain anything by getting smashed. We still need our first team players to actually play because the season is approaching. There is little to gain from naming a youth eleven.
Well i've obviously got more confidence than you that they wouldn't get smashed, but agree Fred and Shaw especially need to play and get at least 60/70 minutes with only the Bayern match to come, and it's pointless DDG travelling to America and not playing so he'll probably get the same, but Alexis, Herrera and A. Pereira and one or two others need a rest.

haram

Well i've obviously got more confidence than you that they wouldn't get smashed, but agree Fred and Shaw especially need to play and get at least 60/70 minutes with only the Bayern match to come, and it's pointless DDG travelling to America and not playing so he'll probably get the same, but Alexis, Herrera and A. Pereira and one or two others need a rest.
I think they can at least play 45 mins.

99withaflake

Tbh, I just want to see the first teamers do well. It’s way too early in some of the younger lads careers to look into how they perform this summer.
Same here man. I just want the first teamers to improve their match fitness and some of the youngsters to get a run out. All about being physically ready to start the new season. Wins are a nice bonus for the fans who attend.

Back in the 90s and early Noughties, when we were dominating English football, we lost pre-season games to Birmingham, Barnsley and Aberdeen, whilst drawing games with Shelbourne, Wrexham, Coventry, Bristol Rovers, Bristol City, Cambridge and Swansea.

Many of the performances in those games were pretty woeful. It wasn't like we were playing good football but were unlucky. They're literally just a run out.

Imagine the meltdown if social media was around back then.

haram

They could, but is it worth the risk ?
Well they need to play. We really do not gain much from Greenwood playing instead of Sanchez for example. If he is good enough he will go on more tours and eventually get his time.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Shall we all agree not to read too much into the game, and not to get too emotional, whatever the result of this pre-season friendly?
Mourinho was the one seemingly freaking out about the Liverpool result.

I don't give a shit about the score. But I do want to see something, anything, that points to decent football in the upcoming season.

Class of 63

Sourness
Well they need to play. We really do not gain much from Greenwood playing instead of Sanchez for example. If he is good enough he will go on more tours and eventually get his time.
Dunno how many minutes Alexis and Herrera have played on the tour so far but i'd guess it's more than anybody else, if they do too much too soon and break down we'll be knackered going into the Leicester City match as we'd go into it without a senior midfielder or forward if anything happened to those two, so it's best they rest up and get themselves ready for the Bayern match where Mourinho will have to pick as close a team as the one that will start the first League match and give them 80+ minutes

haram

Dunno how many minutes Alexis and Herrera have played on the tour so far but i'd guess it's more than anybody else, if they do too much too soon and break down we'll be knackered going into the Leicester City match as we'd go into it without a senior midfielder or forward if anything happened to those two, so it's best they rest up and get themselves ready for the Bayern match where Mourinho will have to pick as close a team as the one that will start the first League match and give them 80+ minutes
I mean, Alexis missed the first game as well. I don't think 45 mins will break him.

99withaflake

Mourinho was the one seemingly freaking out about the Liverpool result.

I don't give a shit about the score. But I do want to see something, anything, that points to decent football in the upcoming season.
It would be nice to see some decent football but these games have almost no impact on the type of football that will be played in competitive matches.

We've played well in pre-season games before and then got off to bad start in the league, and also played badly in pre-season games before starting well in the league. They're about fitness more than anything.

I understand you'd like to see some more attractive football next season, so would I (I hate getting up at 4am to watch borefests), but I think it may be more of the same again.

Class of 63

Sourness
I mean, Alexis missed the first game as well. I don't think 45 mins will break him.
Yeah, i'd forgot about that, but the fact remains that with Lukaku and Rashford not back yet, and Martial playing silly buggers we don't have anybody bar Alexis to play up top in the first League game, so why risk him, even for 45 minutes when you've got lads like Chong, Bohui and Greenwood chomping at the bit for a chance to show what they can do up front, and against the European champions ?

haram

Yeah, i'd forgot about that, but the fact remains that with Lukaku and Rashford not back yet, and Martial playing silly buggers we don't have anybody bar Alexis to play up top in the first League game, so why risk him, even for 45 minutes when you've got lads like Chong, Bohui and Greenwood chomping at the bit for a chance to show what they can do up front, and against the European champions ?
Because Sanchez needs to prepare for the season and Chong, Bohui and Greenwood will not be relevant for the first team after this week.

Class of 63

Sourness
Because Sanchez needs to prepare for the season and Chong, Bohui and Greenwood will not be relevant for the first team after this week.
Well if Mourinho keeps flogging Alexis, as he seems to be doing with most of the senior players this tour for some reason, one of the young lads may need to play up front in the League until the World Cup players are back and up to speed, so another reason to play them against Real Madrid, no ?

haram

Well if Mourinho keeps flogging Alexis, as he seems to be doing with most of the senior players this tour for some reason, one of the young lads may need to play up front in the League until the World Cup players are back and up to speed, so another reason to play them against Real Madrid, no ?
65 mins
90 mins
81 mins

Those are the minutes Sanchez has played the last 3 games. He can play another 45 mins.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
It would be nice to see some decent football but these games have almost no impact on the type of football that will be played in competitive matches.

We've played well in pre-season games before and then got off to bad start in the league, and also played badly in pre-season games before starting well in the league. They're about fitness more than anything.

I understand you'd like to see some more attractive football next season, so would I (I hate getting up at 4am to watch borefests), but I think it may be more of the same again.
Pre-season games are still practices for what's coming. An opportunity to test out things. What I'd like to see is some *change* from what we saw all of last season. Some indication that we might be a little more ambitious and entertaining. If what we see is just more of the same, unimaginative stuff, you start to wonder.

Class of 63

Sourness
65 mins
90 mins
81 mins

Those are the minutes Sanchez has played the last 3 games. He can play another 45 mins.
Thanks for that, i'd searched high and low for the info on minutes played, and that's an obscene amount, 65 minutes in his first match is bad enough, but him playing 90 minutes in the second is criminal, it's almost like Mourinho is hoping he'll break down so Ed Woodward would have to give him funds to buy a new striker - I wouldn't expect any outfield player to be getting a full-game until at least the 4th or 5th pre-season match.

haram

Pre-season games are still practices for what's coming. An opportunity to test out things. What I'd like to see is some *change* from what we saw all of last season. Some indication that we might be a little more ambitious and entertaining. If what we see is just more of the same, unimaginative stuff, you start to wonder.
The fact that Pereira is being used as a number 6 and is always looking to cut through lines with his passing is probably one of the biggest aspects of this pre season so far. Apart from that, we dont have the rest of our team to really try anything, apart from Sanchez up top and Mata playing off him. It doesn't matter because Lukaku will be playing up top anyway, Sanchez on the left and Mata on the right. What can we really get from this pre season apart from Pereira's position? Even Fred and Dalot have been missing so far.

Thanks for that, i'd searched high and low for the info on minutes played, and that's an obscene amount, 65 minutes in his first match is bad enough, but him playing 90 minutes in the second is criminal, it's almost like Mourinho is hoping he'll break down so Ed Woodward would have to give him funds to buy a new striker - I wouldn't expect any outfield player to be getting a full-game until at least the 4th or 5th pre-season match.
It really isn't obscene. He can play another 45 minutes.

maniwin

Lose and Jose is over, win and it's just pre-season. No other conclusion.

RoyH1

Same here man. I just want the first teamers to improve their match fitness and some of the youngsters to get a run out. All about being physically ready to start the new season. Wins are a nice bonus for the fans who attend.

Back in the 90s and early Noughties, when we were dominating English football, we lost pre-season games to Birmingham, Barnsley and Aberdeen, whilst drawing games with Shelbourne, Wrexham, Coventry, Bristol Rovers, Bristol City, Cambridge and Swansea.

Many of the performances in those games were pretty woeful. It wasn't like we were playing good football but were unlucky. They're literally just a run out.

Imagine the meltdown if social media was around back then.
And that's the main thing. So much in our modern life is utterly blown out of proportion.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Cannot bloody decide if I should stay up or go to sleep early to wake up. Mind you for me it's patrician 2 am, not plebian 1 am which makes it completely different.

Dolf

Cannot bloody decide if I should stay up or go to sleep early to wake up. Mind you for me it's patrician 2 am, not plebian 1 am which makes it completely different.
Just do what I do and watch the game the next day. Just have to ignore the internet untill then

Kostur

海尔的老板
Just do what I do and watch the game the next day. Just have to ignore the internet untill then
Man where's fun in that, I love those pre-season fecked up hours when you wake up early or stay up late, provided you can afford it due to your job and so on.