Press Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Man Utd boss Sir Alex Ferguson fears resurgent Arsenal

A rejuvenated Arsenal have "rearranged the pecking order", says Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Gunners have replaced defending champions Chelsea as the main title challenger and trail leaders United by three points with a game in hand.

"Last season Arsenal faded to leave Chelsea and ourselves in a two-horse race," Ferguson said.

"But Arsene Wenger and his players have rearranged the pecking order to come storming through to lie in second."

United and Arsenal will put their Premier League aspirations on hold for a week as they go head-to-head on Saturday with an FA Cup semi-final spot at stake.

Despite Chelsea's recent victory over Ferguson's team, the Blues remain nine points adrift of top spot in the Premier League with just 10 games left in the campaign.

But with United suffering their second successive league defeat with a 3-1 loss at Anfield on Sunday, Ferguson is now preparing for a dramatic title run-in with old rivals Arsenal breathing down their necks.

The Gunners have not finished in the top two for six years but looked set to reignite their title credentials last season before fading badly in the closing stages as Chelsea pipped United by one point.

"I think most pundits expected to see something similar this season, plus a challenge from Spurs and Manchester City to make it even more difficult for Arsenal to get back up to the top," the 69-year-old Scot added.

"But clearly they represent the main danger to us achieving our ambitions in a revival of the rivalry of a few years ago, and I am sure they regard us as the major threat to their hopes."

Wenger's team are looking to win their first Premier League title for seven years.

Ferguson was speaking for the first time since his media blackout that followed the defeat by Liverpool at the weekend.

It was a result that gave hope to those teams looking to catch United in the race for the Premier League crown and Ferguson conceded his team were second best.

"I have no excuses for the poor performance at Liverpool, who were the better team and deserved their win," Ferguson said.

"I was disappointed because we didn't perform to the level I expect and which, to be fair, we generally achieve."
BBC Sport - Football - Man Utd boss Sir Alex Ferguson fears resurgent Arsenal

MacMUFC

Yes, I can just imagine Sir Alex trembling in fear whilst talking about Arsenal.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I've seen that story (post 43) in the Sun saying it was form Saturday's match program and in the Telegraph online saying it was on cbsport.org.

Also, the last line on the Telegraph story wrote:

"Ferguson's comments on the website, which covers sport in the Manchester area, were later taken down. "

It seems suggest that this is a bullshit story put out by some ABUs to stir things up a bit before the weekend.

Anything from official channels on this?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've placed a link to this in the "All other stickies" thread in here in the United forum.

Aaron

Even I sometimes watch Fergie's press conference from behind my hands. The man is scary and intimidating when you're not even in the same room as him. Watching his press conferences is sometimes like watching an unexploded bomb in close proximity and hoping it doesn't go off while you're there. Or that feel of unease when teacher rips into another classmate. You're relieved it isn't you but still feel bad because of it.

Hans Moleman

Fergie says Nani back after international break. No chance of playing in next three games.

Rio, Park, Valencia all still out.

Heinzesight

10:00 Here are the key points from Sir Alex's press conference this morning at Carrington. Look out for more in-depth coverage shortly on ManUtd.com. (BH)

- The headlines in terms of team news are that Nani, Ferdinand, Park and Valencia all won't play against Arsenal.

- Boss on injuries: "We have quite a few injuries. I'm hoping some of them are all right to face Arsenal. Injuries aside, there's the importance of this as a cup tie. It's against Arsenal and these games are always exciting. There's an opportunity to get to a semi-final so I'll play my best team. Tuesday night [against Marseille] isn't in our minds at this moment.

- On Nani's injury: We've managed to stitch it. Now we have to guard against infection. The swelling has gone down, which is good news. To give a date is diffitult. Whether he's fit to face Bolton is difficult to say, but we have a two-week international break and we'd hope he'll be ready to return after that.

- On Valencia: That's more diffiuclt to assess. He's training very well and has played in practice matches. We have to decide when we put him into a first-team game. It's about timing, being out for a long time. At some point we'll try it. It won't be tomorrow, but it will be soon.

Rahul

10:00 Here are the key points from Sir Alex's press conference this morning at Carrington. Look out for more in-depth coverage shortly on ManUtd.com. (BH)

- The headlines in terms of team news are that Nani, Ferdinand, Park and Valencia all won't play against Arsenal.

- Boss on injuries: "We have quite a few injuries. I'm hoping some of them are all right to face Arsenal. Injuries aside, there's the importance of this as a cup tie. It's against Arsenal and these games are always exciting. There's an opportunity to get to a semi-final so I'll play my best team. Tuesday night [against Marseille] isn't in our minds at this moment.

- On Nani's injury: We've managed to stitch it. Now we have to guard against infection. The swelling has gone down, which is good news. To give a date is diffitult. Whether he's fit to face Bolton is difficult to say, but we have a two-week international break and we'd hope he'll be ready to return after that.

- On Valencia: That's more diffiuclt to assess. He's training very well and has played in practice matches. We have to decide when we put him into a first-team game. It's about timing, being out for a long time. At some point we'll try it. It won't be tomorrow, but it will be soon.
This version sounds slightly better.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
So a 37 year old Giggs is our only fit senior winger for an FA Cup tie against Arsenal and a champions league knockout leg in which we NEED to score, which are four days apart.

Good, good
Yup, looks like we're back to either Rooney/Fletcher on the wing.

I hope we play Berba, Rooney, Hernadez and play a strong midfield 3 personally. Then use Rafael and Evra to supply the ammo from wide.

lynchie

So a 37 year old Giggs is our only fit senior winger for an FA Cup tie against Arsenal and a champions league knockout leg in which we NEED to score, which are four days apart.

Good, good
Ryan Giggs? FA Cup tie against Arsenal? With his reputation?

Jurassic Park!

Kelvin

Good, good
Bebe Obertan, god help us.... :annoyed:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It'll be 4-3-3 against Arsenal, with Rooney and Giggs wide and Berbatov through the middle, then Carrick and Fletcher with either Scholes or Gibson (depending on if he saves Scholes for Marseille.

There's not a lot else we can do and we always go 4-3-3 vs Arsenal anyway. Besides, at least it means we can't leave our top scorer on the bench for no apparent reason.

As for Marseille, it's looking a bit dodgy but we could have beaten them in the first leg if we hadn't gone into our shell for 80 minutes of the game, so if we don't beat them it's only ourselves we have to blame.

twitter thread suggester
It'll be 4-3-3 against Arsenal, with Rooney and Giggs wide and Berbatov through the middle, then Carrick and Fletcher with either Scholes or Gibson (depending on if he saves Scholes for Marseille.

There's not a lot else we can do and we always go 4-3-3 vs Arsenal anyway. Besides, at least it means we can't leave our top scorer on the bench for no apparent reason.
I reckon we'll see both Hernandez, Rooney and Berba starting, like how we lined up when Nani came off against the Scousers.

Then it'll either be Giggs or Scholes alongside Carrick and Fletcher. Or at least that's what I hope happens. But wouldn't be surprised to see Gibson starting.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Won't play against Arsenal, maybe back for game against Marseille?
He didn't say by the look of it.

I'm guessing he feels Park can't play two games in quick succession returning from injury so the CL game takes priority.

'We have quite a few injuries. I'm hoping some of them are all right to face Arsenal.'
Not sure who is he referring to there though?

Status
Not open for further replies.