Prime Ferdinand or Prime Varane

Who was more impressive?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’s comfortably Rio. Varane doesn’t and won’t make top 5 best Premier League defenders ever. That’s no disrespect to him. He just wouldn’t be called World Class if he was around 10-15 years ago.

IRELANDUNITED

Of course he wasn't let go like that but he him and Casemiro were both allowed to go because Madrid felt they had better players. For better or worse, Madrid support was somewhat divided on it as well and there was a lot of talk about how Madrid shipped a player past his best to us.

It turned out great for us and he's class but if this was Rio at 28 clubs would fight tooth and nail to keep him there.
Again I’m not entirely sure that is true. They either had to let him go and get a fee for him or he was leaving on a free transfer the following season. I don’t think Madrid had a choice in the matter. If he and Casemiro were still at Madrid they’d both be automatic starters.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Is prime Ferdinand the absolute peak we've seen from a CB ever?
I'd pick the best seasons from Vidic, but they were a perfect pair.

I rate Rio over Varane, but think Varane is a better for for our team right now than what Rio would've been... For some strange reason i can't explain.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Is prime Ferdinand the absolute peak we've seen from a CB ever?
Not if you've seen Baresi or Nesta in my humble opinion of course. Rio was a better ball player than both though.

He's up there though, for what its worth so is Varane imho. Both probably top 10.

I voted Varane just because 3 CL in a row and a world cup, but was there an option for "its a coin flip" I'd have went with that. International level seperated them for me. Rio was part of a ridiculously talented England team that continuously failed to deliver and never even really got close.

CloneMC16

Not if you've seen Baresi or Nesta in my humble opinion of course. Rio was a better ball player than both though.

He's up there though, for what its worth so is Varane imho. Both probably top 10.

I voted Varane just because 3 CL in a row and a world cup, but was there an option for "its a coin flip" I'd have went with that. International level seperated them for me. Rio was part of a ridiculously talented England team that continuously failed to deliver and never even really got close.
It's not Rio's fault that the England team had a hugely unbalanced midfield. The team had talented players, but that didn't make a good team. Put Rio in that French team and he would have easily won the WC with them as well.

Football is a team sport. I've always disliked the trophy argument to decide on which players are better than others. It's something that makes sense in individual sports.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It's not Rio's fault that the England team had a hugely unbalanced midfield. The team had talented players, but that didn't make a good team. Put Rio in that French team and he would have easily won the WC with them as well.

Football is a team sport. I've always disliked the trophy argument to decide on which players are better than others. It's something that makes sense in individual sports.
Rio himself has said infighting and hatred between 3 sets of players (United, Liverpool and Chelsea) was a big part of their failure. No one in that team should get a pass. The idea it was just the midfield of Lampard and Gerrard playing together is a part of it but not near an excuse for their failures. That was one of the best squads ever assembled but coughed up stupid goals at stupid times, bottled big chances and had the midfield problem.

But he's 74th percentile in pass completion %. I appreciate that it might not be called for due to the specifics of the way the team has been built, but this also includes a not-insignificant amount of data from France where you see the same thing.

I just would never call him good at passing, that's all. For me that's an area where Rio has a clear and obvious advantage that is more or less indisputable.
Fair enough, I thought you were arguing he's a bad passer. He's not on the level of Rio but nobody is. He is very good at keeping the ball moving when it's needed though.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Fair enough, I thought you were arguing he's a bad passer. He's not on the level of Rio but nobody is. He is very good at keeping the ball moving when it's needed though.
Yeah in retrospect my first post was a bit ambiguous - meant more that he has gone from being pretty poor at passing at the beginning of his career to being what I would call adequate now. Above average objectively if you look at all CBs, but not necessarily the positive contributor in possession a top team would want if he were the primary passer from the back.

Yeah in retrospect my first post was a bit ambiguous - meant more that he has gone from being pretty poor at passing at the beginning of his career to being what I would call adequate now. Above average objectively if you look at all CBs, but not necessarily the positive contributor in possession a top team would want if he were the primary passer from the back.
I suppose he's never had to be. At Madrid that was always Ramos and France don't play that way. For us it's more Martinez... I'd be interested to see his stats even if its a small sample size.

SambaBoy

Rio is the best CB I've seen at United so I'd have to give it him.

Varane is class though - and we probably haven't seen the best of him at United yet he's still been a terrific signing.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I suppose he's never had to be. At Madrid that was always Ramos and France don't play that way. For us it's more Martinez... I'd be interested to see his stats even if its a small sample size.
Here you go mate - this is what a top tier passing CB looks like:
Lisandro Martinez:

(And just for fun, here's the best in the world):
Thiago Silva:

Kag

I’m absolutely committed to this being Rio and by some way, rather like the rest of the forum, but I can’t help but think the neutral would see this quite differently, and perhaps with some justification. Varane’s medal haul is the envy of just about any defender you can think of. And while it’s wrong to look at trophies as the overarching determiner of quality, it’s fair to say that Varane absolutely was a huge part of all that success.

So, it is Rio - no doubt about that. Varane has had a magnificent career, though, and falls down in the discussion due to what he hasn’t done in a United shirt.

Apokalips

Rio definitely, he was immense at his absolute peak. Although Martinez and Varane is the first time I've enjoyed watching our CBs tjis much since Rio-Vidic.

Rio used to hold down the whole defence so well and made guys like Silvestre look good at times. The moment he walked off injured and to start his ban at Wolves was our first loss that season and started the capitulation... His return so us back to our best.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sorry not following? The person I was responding to was curious as to what Lisandro looks like by the same metrics.
Varane's passing being not as good as the elite one doesn't make him mediocre, wish people stop exaggerating to make their point.

And no, Thiago Silva is not the best CB in the world, he isn't even best CB in London (arguably) this season.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Whats the next poll, peak Heskey or peak Henry.

The only ones that pick Varane must be too young to have seen Rio play.

Robbie Boy

Here you go mate - this is what a top tier passing CB looks like:
Lisandro Martinez:

(And just for fun, here's the best in the world):
Thiago Silva:
Are you seriously saying this version of Silva is the best in the world? Nah, surely not.

Josh 76

Rio Ferdinand was the best CB I’ve ever seen. He had the fecking lot and more!

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Does the same apply to Ramos? Like, if I replaced Varane with Ramos in your post would you say the same applied?
Rio was better than Ramos and far more reliable too. I’m not having Ramos anywhere near top 10 best ever with the amount of red cards he got.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Varane's passing being not as good as the elite one doesn't make him mediocre, wish people stop exaggerating to make their point.

And no, Thiago Silva is not the best CB in the world, he isn't even best CB in London (arguably) this season.
Are you seriously saying this version of Silva is the best in the world? Nah, surely not.
Fundamentally disagree. Think Varane is an average passer and the metrics back me up.

I was commenting solely on Silva's passing - purely as a passer I don't think there is a better CB than Silva right now in world football.

lex talionis

I have to go with Rio as well, but the “by far” comments are pretty cringey. Varane is a colossus in his own right. He was integral to winning every cup laid in front of him, and in his prime never put in a foot wrong.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fundamentally disagree. Think Varane is an average passer and the metrics back me up.

I was commenting solely on Silva's passing - purely as a passer I don't think there is a better CB than Silva right now in world football.
Same stats also says Akanji as the best ball playing CB in PL this season and Kimpembe is the ball playing CB in last 365 days, so Thiago Silva isn't.

I mean Fbref stats back me up here.

JustKatie

Ferdinand. This isn't a slight on Varane who has been very good.
It's just Rio was here for so long and after his initial star gazing moments he turned into one the best centre backs I've ever seen.
Maybe if Varane had been here another five years it might've been closer, it's just I've never really watched him at all before he joined us

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ferdy by a country mile. Both were/are fast but Rio was much better on the ball than varane. And more physical when required

Mas Risky

Not in any universe where Nesta existed, but yeah, he is the gold standard in England alongside Moore and Campbell.
Well, in my universe, Rio was still a better defender than Nesta.

Don't let his cool presence fool you. Nesta loves late tackle.

Nesta was more likely to get caught off guard than Maldini, so he used his tackling ability to compensate.

I guess what I like about Rio is that he is more of an interceptor and ball-stealer.