Prime Ferdinand or Prime Varane

Who was more impressive?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IRELANDUNITED

Come on man did you all not see Rio play?

Varane was let go by his club when he was 28. That's not to say he is trash, his club is Madrid and all but there was debate among Madrid supporters whether or not that was a good decision.

Now think about Rio Ferdinand at 28. At 2007. Imagine if the idea of letting him go to another club was suggested. Imagine there being any "debate" if it would be good to let him go.

No comparison. Rio.
“let go” suggests Madrid were keen to see the back of Varane, I don’t think that’s the case. He wanted to leave and come to Old Trafford. Same with Casemiro.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
“let go” suggests Madrid were keen to see the back of Varane, I don’t think that’s the case. He wanted to leave and come to Old Trafford. Same with Casemiro.
Of course he wasn't let go like that but he him and Casemiro were both allowed to go because Madrid felt they had better players. For better or worse, Madrid support was somewhat divided on it as well and there was a lot of talk about how Madrid shipped a player past his best to us.

It turned out great for us and he's class but if this was Rio at 28 clubs would fight tooth and nail to keep him there.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rio, Varane is also fantastic CB but Rio was better.

Also Varane is not average or mediocre on the ball, he looks bit awkward on the ball but he is good with ball, easily switches with both feet.

kthanksbye

Varane looks like Smalling on the ball, but is comfortable with it and brings it forward really effectively.
Anyway, at topic - Rio, he was an absolutely majestic defender, read the game like he's learned the opponent's patterns.

Oluwaplumpie

We seem to forget how good Vidic made Rio look.

Not saying he's not better than Varane, but the hype is crazy. It was when Vida came in that Rio started to look good to me.

LARulz

Rio. Other than being a 10/10 defender, he was hardly ever injured

CloneMC16

Rio.

Ramos was better than Varane at Madrid. Licha is better than Varane now.

Nori-

Both unbelievable at their peak, too hard to pick so it has to come down to trophies won and Varane takes it.

World Cup winner, 4x Champions League winner + Multiple Spanish Leagues/Cups won at Madrid and he's still only 29.

Big_Bro

Rio stands out for me by a narrow margin.
He was more vocal, had more command of the penalty area, was a better leader.
IMO Rio was more prone to error than Varane.
Ability wise, skill and pace are a bit similar.

Reactions: Invictus

SirAF

Ageist
I love Varane, but Rio was significantly better in his pomp.

Dannn411

Rio no question. Shut down defender who barely fouled anybody. One of the greatest CBs to ever play period. He gets disrespected far too often in the greatest CBs debate. I would not have any other CB in PL history over him. I'm dead serious.

jeepers

Rio and nobody even comes close in the history of the PL. Even VVD isn’t fit to touch Rio’s boots.

I cringe when people actually think this is up for discussion.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
While Varane has more accolades, he obviously benefited from playing with better teams than Rio did. As a defender, Varane was definitely amongst the best of his generation but I never saw him as a leader at the back, it was important to have Ramos with him at the back during those Madrid years.

Rio was not only a great defender but a great leader I felt. Both are top defenders but Rio having that leadership is what separates them.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I’ve been Varane’s fanboy since his debut for Madrid but it’s Rio for me and I didn’t even hesitate.

Rio was that special. You can find players with comparable longevity (Terry) or peak (van Dijk/Stam), but overall he’s the best PL had to offer and I’d only take Nesta ahead of him when we talk about the entire XXI century.
Yeah, not sure how this comparison would come about in the first place because it'd need to be Varane at prime for seasons to realistically contest, and he didn't have a long peak nor as many defense records and performances for the ages to fall back on.

Really rate Varane, but this isn't really a contest.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Jesus. Varane is well above the mean for elite level defenders with regards to his mistakes causing turnovers, his pass completion rate, he very rarely loses the ball.

Rio was better, but varane being poor to mediocre is a bit much.
Dunno what to tell you, he's entirely mediocre at passing:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I can understand the trophy argument in favour of Varane slightly but not in comparison to Rio. One of my criticisms of Kane is that he doesn't have trophies but that impacts his legacy and how he will be remembered more than how he actually was as a player but he has 0 trophies compared to Rio who has 6x PL and a CL amongst others. We are all old enough too to remember Rio as a player and those title winning sides, one of which is arguably the best side to ever compete in the PL. He also is part of the defence with most consecutive clean sheets at 14 games...even the monstrous Mourinho Chelsea side only had 10. I don't think that record will be broken, it's ridiculous.

OldTrevil

Varane is good but is a clear tier below Rio. I would honestly laugh if someone tried to make this comparison to my face

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Think part of it is Varane has always been poor to mediocre with the ball at his feet, which limits his ceiling in a way that never applied to Rio.
While I do agree Rio is better, you're certainly doing Varane a disservice here. He tends to look surprisingly clumsy on the ball (at times it almost reminds of Smalling), but ignore how it 'looks' and focus on what he does with it and he's obviously quite good. He regularly plays good passes both through the centre and going longer out out wide, and is also quite good at bringing it forward himself.

Brophs

The One and Only
Ferdinand. Varane is a brilliant defender but Rio was comfortably the best in the world at the time and maybe the best of his generation.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Varane was let go by his club when he was 28. That's not to say he is trash, his club is Madrid and all but there was debate among Madrid supporters whether or not that was a good decision.
Madrid only let Varane go because he wanted to leave and was refusing to sign the contracts they offered him. Hell, he wasn't even making counter-offers of what he wanted as he'd already made the decision to leave. Rumours were they were even thinking of offering him captaincy, but admittedly those are rumours so no way to know if that was true.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ferdinand by a distance. I wouldn't even say Varane is a stand out defender in the league right now. He is good but I wouldn't say he is exceptional.

PSV

I think Varane was a player that for years was considered to have the highest ceiling of any defenders out there, but he only reached about 80-85% of his potential whereas Rio pretty much reached his full potential.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's a good comparison because both had incredible potential and enjoyed long and decorated careers at the very top. The difference for me is when they came to their mid-to-late 20s, Ferdinand shifted up another gear, whereas I don't think Varane made that next step up. In fact he had more of a dip at the very time he was expected to establish himself as the top man.

For me there is a gap but perhaps not a gulf between them. Varane deserves a lot of kudos for excelling so long at Madrid at the top end of European competition. The Real midfield rightly takes a lot of credit, but often they ceded control and it was backs-to-the-wall stuff with Varane/Ramos/Pepe really bailling them out.

Dunno what to tell you, he's entirely mediocre at passing:

That tells me he's very good at the passes he is supposed to be making. Short and medium passes into the feet of the midfielders. He doesn't do much with long passes because he plays on the right and the right channel is a total void for us.

Martinez is much better at that because he has Rashford and Shaw to aim for.

BeltUp

Supports
United
He was about go into the final year of his contract and unwilling to sign a new one, that's why he was sold - it was either fee or free.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Rio is one of the greatest defenders of all time when he is at his peak. He is athletic, reads the game well, has good footwork, and balance. If he had more adventurous career (playing in Spain or Italy), I have no doubt that he would be considered as THE greatest.
Not in any universe where Nesta existed, but yeah, he is the gold standard in England alongside Moore and Campbell.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That tells me he's very good at the passes he is supposed to be making. Short and medium passes into the feet of the midfielders. He doesn't do much with long passes because he plays on the right and the right channel is a total void for us.

Martinez is much better at that because he has Rashford and Shaw to aim for.
But he's 74th percentile in pass completion %. I appreciate that it might not be called for due to the specifics of the way the team has been built, but this also includes a not-insignificant amount of data from France where you see the same thing.

I just would never call him good at passing, that's all. For me that's an area where Rio has a clear and obvious advantage that is more or less indisputable.

Member 125398

Ferdinand by a country mile although I reckon a Varane sex tape would've been an easier watch.