Prince Philip Dead | Ceremonial Funeral to take place on Saturday 17th April | Prince Andrew is NOT a pedophile

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
No offence or anything mate, but your nan saying shocking things and the husband of the queen of the country saying racist things are two different things in regards to outreach.

The problem comes when his comments get glossed over as silly or just generally downplayed.
And DMX's lyrics get ok'd by some mod on here. Not saying either is right but this place has stunk today fancy allowing raping and homophobic lyrics whilst allowing pot shots at old Phil.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Eight days of mourning for someone who married into the royal family? Wow. Just bizarre.

And we can’t even get his name right in the thread title.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Even if you ignore his shitty character completely, the man lived 2 decades past the average life expectancy with a quality of life most would only dream of. Nothing for anyone to be sad about, he had a great innings. None of us will complain if we make it to 99 we'd probably welcome an end to it tbh.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Wasn’t he just racist in the same way that loads of people his age are/were?

Raised in an era where they didn’t know better and too old to change their mindset by the time society had moved on. I mean, it’s not great but my gran (who died 30 years ago and would be the same age as he is know, if she was still alive) came out with some seriously dodgy stuff. Not with any hatred or malice behind it but still deeply offensive by today’s standards. I’d like to think she’d have changed her ways over the last few decades but can’t guarantee it. And how long is it since Phillip said something really badly inappropriate?

The royal family as a concept can get fecked, obviously, but the general vibe in this thread is definitely a bit crass.
That's just an excuse people use for individuals who are being lazy and not wanting to change their views. There's nothing stopping you from realising you were wrong about something at that age. It's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to even if their actions and views are hurting people and that says a lot about a character.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Even if you ignore his shitty character completely, the man lived 2 decades past the average life expectancy with a quality of life most would only dream of. Nothing for anyone to be sad about, he had a great innings. None of us will complain if we make it to 99 we'd probably welcome an end to it tbh.
The reaction here has been restrained and respectful and even when his dodgy comments are pointed out they are tempered to note they were mostly jokey in nature and not always really that insulting when examined in context (and yes I know things like the slanty eyes comment can't be justified by context).

Even the satire sites have been gentle. The funniest comment was in a fake Chaser article that said he passed peacefully with all his family and Prince William by his side. Plus the usual jokes about a pom not reaching a century.

Kopral Jono

That's just an excuse people use for individuals who are being lazy and not wanting to change their views. There's nothing stopping you from realising you were wrong about something at that age. It's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to even if their actions and views are hurting people and that says a lot about a character.
My late father held racist views and would openly say questionable things in his younger days, but in his latter years he was quite careful with his words. He'd even ask me if a word or a phrase is outdated or otherwise occasionally. Change is indeed possible contrary to popular belief.

WPMUFC

According the the former Australian Prime Minster all of Philip's racism and bigotry was fightback against the woke

Tony Babangida

The news coverage for a single dead 99 year old vs 100k+ covid deaths is sickening. Why should we care about this one old rich bloke.

pacifictheme

The memes have been fantastic. The only down side has been the BBC getting a massive hard on for 24 hour news about it on every channel and radio station. Hope they give up soon.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The news coverage for a single dead 99 year old vs 100k+ covid deaths is sickening. Why should we care about this one old rich bloke.
Covid deaths have been mentioned on every news show, every day for a year.

You don't have to care, I'm not bothered either but the idea that Covid deaths hasn't got news coverage is pretty hilarious.

Tony Babangida

Covid deaths have been mentioned on every news show, every day for a year.

You don't have to care, I'm not bothered either but the idea that Covid deaths hasn't got news coverage is pretty hilarious.
Yeah fair enough, I suppose I made my point badly. As someone that is definitely not a royalist I think it’s perverse that we have 8 days of national mourning for a 99 year old man given what has happened in the country over the past year.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yeah fair enough, I suppose I made my point badly. As someone that is definitely not a royalist I think it’s perverse that we have 8 days of national mourning for a 99 year old man given what has happened in the country over the past year.
Yeah, everything about the coverage the royals get is odd to me but honestly I think the media are kinda happy to be talking about something other than Covid related stuff for the first time in ages.

The reaction in my works group chat to the news of his death was one Brazilian guy saying "that's sad, I'm sorry" and all the English people hoping we'd get a day off work. I think that sums up most peoples thoughts in the real world.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
This thread would be much shorter if people operated on the basis of: “If you have nothing nice to say, then don’t open your mouth.”

Honestly, the Caf has become such a fecking miserable and toxic place.

vidic blood & sand

I've been quite surprised at the extent of the coverage to be honest. I'm not a royalist at all, and after 15 minutes of watching the news yesterday, I feel as though I learned more about this guy in those 15 minutes, than in the 50 years I've been around. He's the husband of the queen who we used to see on the news occasionally standing there shaking hands, waving at people etc. All of a sudden we're finding out there was a bit more to him than that.
It shows how nationally huge it's going to be when the queen croaks.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I've been quite surprised at the extent of the coverage to be honest. I'm not a royalist at all, and after 15 minutes of watching the news yesterday, I feel as though I learned more about this guy in those 15 minutes, than in the 50 years I've been around. He's the husband of the queen who we used to see on the news occasionally standing there shaking hands, waving at people etc. All of a sudden we're finding out there was a bit more to him than that.
It shows how nationally huge it's going to be when the queen croaks.
He was already a pensioner when the internet was invented, he was yesterday's news by then. The older Royals could live their (sometimes colourful) lives and not be scrutinised to the same degree that the younger ones are today, as long as they were also doing the ceremonial things they were supposed to do.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He was already a pensioner when the internet was invented, he was yesterday's news by then. The older Royals could live their (sometimes colourful) lives and not be scrutinised to the same degree that the younger ones are today, as long as they were also doing the ceremonial things they were supposed to do.
@Sassy Colin thinks those ceremonial things are what made Phillip a good person and we should judge him on those rather than all the racist things he said. I think Colin just wants us all to judge him as an Accountant rather than a Tory though so shouldn’t be taken seriously on this matter.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
@Sassy Colin thinks those ceremonial things are what made Phillip a good person and we should judge him on those rather than all the racist things he said. I think Colin just wants us all to judge him as an Accountant rather than a Tory though so shouldn’t be taken seriously on this matter.
I think it's better to look at a life in its entirety (I don't mean Colin's). He did good things, he did bad things. He was a product of his very unsettled upbringing and the strange world that European aristocracy inhabited many decades ago. However, his primary job was to support the Queen and he appears to have done that pretty well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think it's better to look at a life in its entirety (I don't mean Colin's). He did good things, he did bad things. He was a product of his very unsettled upbringing and the strange world that European aristocracy inhabited many decades ago. However, his primary job was to support the Queen and he appears to have done that pretty well.
You don’t get it, Penna. He’s a bad guy. That’s the way it works these days. Especially on social media. You’re either a good guy or a bad guy. When the good guys die we act all sad and say “RIP”. When the bad guys die we crack funny jokes about them being dead. Stop complicating things. Nobody can handle life being complicated.

arnie_ni

If they ask all players to wear black armbands this weekend there's gonna be some next level James McLean drama.
For someone he regularly criticises him, no one can be forced to wear one, just like they can't be forced to wear a poppy.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You don’t get it, Penna. He’s a bad guy. That’s the way it works these days. Especially on social media. You’re either a good guy or a bad guy. When the good guys die we act all sad and say “RIP”. When the bad guys die we crack funny jokes about them being dead. Stop complicating things. Nobody can handle life being complicated.
Or, you know, maybe we just don’t think we should be going to batshit crazy lengths of sycophancy for a bloke that was a bit of a tosser but had a role in public life. You posted yesterday you thought it was mental yourself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
For someone he regularly criticises him, no one can be forced to wear one, just like they can't be forced to wear a poppy.
Some poor sap of an intern at the Sun will have been briefed to watch every minute of every game to try and spot the players who don’t wear one. They could get a week’s worth of content out of that.

Zen86

This thread would be much shorter if people operated on the basis of: “If you have nothing nice to say, then don’t open your mouth.”

Indeed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Or, you know, maybe we just don’t think we should be going to batshit crazy lengths of sycophancy for a bloke that was a bit of a tosser but had a role in public life. You posted yesterday you thought it was mental yourself.
I do think it’s mental. I’m just commenting on this weird binary approach we’re supposed to have to people in the public eye. I know very little about DMX as a person. I didn’t feel the need to slag him off or express remorse when he died. So I didn’t post in his thread. I don’t know Prince Philip much better. The over the top response to his death by the uk media (and some members of the public) is completely mad - and worthy of discussion - but I’m not going to crack a funny about him dying either.

And believe me, as an Irish man, I have more reasons than most to rejoice at the decline of a British institution.

pacifictheme

No sense of irony this lad.

arnie_ni

Some poor sap of an intern at the Sun will have been briefed to watch every minute of every game to try and spot the players who don’t wear one. They could get a week’s worth of content out of that.
I don't think McLean would get criticised as much with his own people for wearing a black arm band as much as he would a poppy, but I still don't think he'll wear one and the English press will hang him.

If I was him id wear one and make a statement, don't agree with the royal family etc etc but a man whatever I may think of him has passed away, so out of respect of that I am going to wear the armband but it doesn't alter by views on the crown etc etc.

It's "appease" everyone.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I do think it’s mental. I’m just commenting on this weird binary approach we’re supposed to have to people in the public eye. I know very little about DMX as a person. I didn’t feel the need to slag him off or express remorse when he died. So I didn’t post in his thread. I don’t know Prince Philip much better. The over the top response to his death by the uk media (and some members of the public) is completely mad - and worthy of discussion - but I’m not going to crack a funny about him dying either.
I don’t think it’s binary though. Nobody has called him Hitler. The criticisms have been borne out of frustration at the ridiculous sycophantic coverage that has painted him as some sort of saintly figure. As I said above, he could by all accounts be a bit of a tosser and I personally don’t see anything wrong with highlighting that rather than expect everyone to give him a glowing tribute or keep their mouth shut. There’s no close friends or relatives on here so people need to stop being so precious about it and getting offended for the sake of getting offended which is ironic when you consider which people it is that are getting offended. It’s PC gone mad I tell you.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Maybe I’m being too po-faced. Went into the DMX thread for a comparison and this made me chuckle.

So perhaps you can crack jokes about the recently deceased? So long as they’re good jokes.
Hectic had a couple of bangers in there too.

pacifictheme

I don't think McLean would get criticised as much with his own people for wearing a black arm band as much as he would a poppy, but I still don't think he'll wear one and the English press will hang him.

If I was him id wear one and make a statement, don't agree with the royal family etc etc but a man whatever I may think of him has passed away, so out of respect of that I am going to wear the armband but it doesn't alter by views on the crown etc etc.

It's "appease" everyone.
I think he should be able to do whatever the feck he wants. He owes the royals nothing. And we don't either.

No offence or anything mate, but your nan saying shocking things and the husband of the queen of the country saying racist things are two different things in regards to outreach.

The problem comes when his comments get glossed over as silly or just generally downplayed.
I'm not totally convinced he was a racist old bloke. His comment over the years have come from a general belief that he is better than everybody else, not specific to race or anything else. He looks down equally on everybody.

That's why I've never liked him. We are all fawning over his death but he couldn't give a shit about any of us.