Privilege in its many guises

Jericholyte2

So I had an eye-opening talk with my wife this evening. I’ve just started running and, today, I also encountered my first case of obvious male privilege.

We were talking about how I felt during the running and she asked me how comfortable I felt running around our town in the dark. I was taken aback and replied how I felt fine and, when I asked why, she floored me when she said that she wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that, even if it was taking our dog for a walk.

Now, we’ve lived here for 8yrs and we have a great little community, but that is a world I never even imagine existed. She effectively has a curfew, feeling uncomfortable and unsafe alone in the area we’ve called home for nearly a decade!

There is no other term for this other than ‘male privilege’.

Now I’m aware of the obvious white privilege and other forms of that term, I was wondering was experienced users have had that has brought this idea of ‘privilege’ to the forefront of people’s minds?

MarylandMUFan

From a safety standpoint, this is definitely a thing. While my wife doesn't bother, I know quite a few women who do certain things in parking lots/car parks when they walk to and from their car for safety (like carry a whistle handy or have their keys between their fingers balled up in a fist). Men definitely don't think about those things.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Women fear being murdered by men. Men fear being laughed at by women.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So I had an eye-opening talk with my wife this evening. I’ve just started running and, today, I also encountered my first case of obvious male privilege.

We were talking about how I felt during the running and she asked me how comfortable I felt running around our town in the dark. I was taken aback and replied how I felt fine and, when I asked why, she floored me when she said that she wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that, even if it was taking our dog for a walk.

Now, we’ve lived here for 8yrs and we have a great little community, but that is a world I never even imagine existed. She effectively has a curfew, feeling uncomfortable and unsafe alone in the area we’ve called home for nearly a decade!

Now I’m aware of the obvious white privilege and other forms of that term, I was wondering was experienced users have had that has brought this idea of ‘privilege’ to the forefront of people’s minds?
Watching films and staying interested. That's not the right wording but I can't quickly think of something better. In any case, it's the fact that the overwhelming majority of films primarily features men doing things with and against other men. That results in male conversations, male perspectives, male everything - in short, that famous male gaze. Sure, some things are universal among the sexes; but not that much. It can be actively off-putting once you start noticing that. And now imagine almost every film you've ever seen being like that.

I'm still not expressing this very well, but I suppose you get the idea.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Not sure if I would ascribe the word privilege to it, as its simply a reality of the world we live in.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Depends where you’re running. There’s been times in my life I’ve feared a kicking when I’ve been out running, when obviously you’re too tired to adequately defend yourself

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not sure if I would ascribe the word privilege to it, as its simply a reality of the world we live in.
Tell us you dont understand privilege without telling us you don’t understand privilege.

Jericholyte2

I am in a privileged position compared to my wife because I can do something like this without worrying about my personal safety.

As ‘real world’ as that is, it’s a hierarchy of privilege.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So when women go out at night and aren’t worried about getting their heads kicked in is that ‘female privilege?’
Women don’t fear violence on nights out? How sheltered are you exactly?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I am in a privileged position compared to my wife because I can do something like this without worrying about my personal safety.

As ‘real world’ as that is, it’s a hierarchy of privilege.
I understand that argument and it does make sense that there are obvious differences, but surely there some limits to how far one can take this sort of thing. For instance, I have a gay friend who told me he is scared walking alone at night because of homophobia (despite my neighborhood being ~40% LGBTQ). Would that be "straight privilege" or simply a matter of how violent criminals prey on ordinary citizens irrespective of background ? In another example, take a small male (think the size of a horse racing jockey) and a significantly larger than him woman walking side by side at night. Would your male privilege argument still apply ?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
violent crime disproportionately affects men.

anyway, I’m just poking fun at the privilege thing - it tends to just detract from the actual issue.
That's largely because men are the ones committing it against men, and women against women (ie most crimes are committed by one gender against the same gender).

Jericholyte2

I understand that argument and it does make sense that there are obvious differences, but surely there some limits to how far one can take this sort of thing. For instance, I have a gay friend who told me he is scared walking alone at night because of homophobia (despite my neighborhood being ~40% LGBTQ). Would that be "straight privilege" or simply a matter of how violent criminals prey on ordinary citizens irrespective of background ? In another example, take a small male (think the size of a horse racing jockey) and a significantly larger than him woman walking side by side at night. Would your male privilege argument still apply ?
1. Yes I’d argue that was a great example of straight privilege. To a wider degree, as a straight man I can walk down a street in pretty much every country in the world holding hand of the woman that I love. Members of the LGBTQ+ community don’t have that privilege

2. The small man / tall women argument - you forget the issue at play in the male-female divide, sexual violence. The small man wouldn’t be targeted by people who have the intention of gratifying themselves sexually.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
1. Yes I’d argue that was a great example of straight privilege. To a wider degree, as a straight man I can walk down a street in pretty much every country in the world holding hand of the woman that I love. Members of the LGBTQ+ community don’t have that privilege

2. The small man / tall women argument - you forget the issue at play in the male-female divide, sexual violence. The small man wouldn’t be targeted by people who have the intention of gratifying themselves sexually.
Thanks, that makes sense.

massi83

I, for one, am surprised raoul doubled down, instead of admitting his mistake and learning from others.

Jericholyte2

So basically straight white men have all the privileges? Lucky me.
No, that’s not what’s being said at all. What I and others are suggesting is that straight white men don’t have to worry about issues that women, LGBTQ+ or BAME groups have to.

As tough as life might be for you or other straight white men, it’s not made harder by people’s reactions to those inherent traits.

That is a position of privilege.

Abizzz

Tell that to a group of former choir boys...

Privilege is all around us. I don't think anyone can debate it. It's hardly a one way street though even if there is no possible way of weighing it up. Not being expected to fight and die for your country's political decisions is also a privilege.

Glorio

In my opinion, privilege in itself is not necessarily wrong, as in many cases the privileged party can't help it. I feel folks on the thread see it as accusatory.
It's a lack of empathy either way that causes problems.

Jericholyte2

Privilege is all around us. I don't think anyone can debate it. It's hardly a one way street though even if there is no possible way of weighing it up. Not being expected to fight and die for your country's political decisions is also a privilege.
The example was a small man, not children. That’s an entirely different power dynamic.

In my opinion, privilege in itself is not necessarily wrong, as in many cases the privileged party can't help it. It's the lack of empathy that causes problems.
Absolutely

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good point. Although this would probably be more of an outlier than the norm ?

How do you mean ? People who live in countries where there is no conscription are privileged over those who live in nations where they are forced to serve in the military ?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I don't know if someone heard this quote before, but it's a pretty powerful one:

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"

Now, I do think it is not without flaws obviously but when you think about why so many things in our society are so hard fought, it often seems to come down to that. Those in privileged positions either don't see the privilege, or refuse to give up the advantage. Granted, privilege will always exist in some shape or form and I concur with the above its often just the lack of empathy thats the issue.

Abizzz

Good point. Although this would probably be more of an outlier than the norm ?

How do you mean ? People who live in countries where there is no conscription are privileged over those who live in nations where they are forced to serve in the military ?
In a way yes, but wasn't what I had in mind.

I was thinking of the countries with conscription. I am only aware of 2 in the world where that affects everyone.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In a way yes, but wasn't what I had in mind.

I was thinking of the countries with conscription. I am only aware of 2 in the world where that affects everyone.
Israel and Russia immediately spring to mind. Ukraine now as well given the war.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't know if someone heard this quote before, but it's a pretty powerful one:

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"

Now, I do think it is not without flaws obviously but when you think about why so many things in our society are so hard fought, it often seems to come down to that. Those in privileged positions either don't see the privilege, or refuse to give up the advantage. Granted, privilege will always exist in some shape or form and I concur with the above its often just the lack of empathy thats the issue.
They also probably don't frame it as privilege, and instead simply see it as the cards they were dealt - as in, they were involuntarily born into situations where they don't have it as hard as others. In such a view, there will always be imbalances in the power dynamics between human groups, although that doesn't mean we can't work to balance them out as much as possible.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I’m mainly surprised this has never occurred to you or been mentioned to you before now?

Say you’re walking down a quiet, dark street late at night and you see a lone woman walking ahead of you, slightly slower than you. Do you just walk up behind them and pass right beside them? I’ve always (most of my adult life anyway?) been very conscious of how vulnerable women feel in those situations, so would usually give them a wide berth. Crossing the street, or changing my route so as not to make them feel intimidated. I honestly thought most blokes were aware of this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They also probably don't frame it as privilege, and instead simply see it as the cards they were dealt - as in, they were involuntarily born into situations where they don't have it as hard as others. In such a view, there will always be imbalances in the power dynamics between human groups, although that doesn't mean we can't work to balance them out as much as possible.
You can replace those words with “privilege” and save yourself some typing. The meaning is identical.

Jericholyte2

I’m mainly surprised this has never occurred to you or been mentioned to you before now?

Say you’re walking down a quiet, dark street late at night and you see a lone woman walking ahead of you, slightly slower than you. Do you just walk up behind them and pass right beside them? I’ve always (most of my adult life anyway?) been very conscious of how vulnerable women feel in those situations, so would usually give them a wide berth. Crossing the street, or changing my route so as not to make them feel intimidated. I honestly thought most blokes were aware of this.
No I always act similarly to how you describe, as I was always aware of violence against women. What was eye-opening was the extent to which it impacts my wife’s ability to enjoy the area we should’ve the most comfortable in.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No I always act similarly to how you describe, as I was always aware of violence against women. What was eye-opening was the extent to which it impacts my wife’s ability to enjoy the area we should’ve the most comfortable in.
Ah. Ok. Just surprised you didn’t join the dots before now. Jogging at night is just the same as those lone women walking quiet streets at night. Only slightly quicker!

foolsgold

So basically straight white men have all the privileges? Lucky me.
Not sure if you’re being ironic, but yes lucky you and me. I saw this when doors business travel around the US and South Asia with a visibly islamic female teammate. How we were treated was night and day.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Yeah, sounds dumb but just listening to women speak is illuminating.

Remember something that went semi viral a few years ago, a professor asked men what they do to stay safe, it was stay in shape etc.

Women, the list was insane, ranging from never parking your car in multi storey garage to never renting on the ground floor, to always being on the phone talking to a man when around strangers.

It was eye opening and well, down right sad.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Ditto, been doing this since my teens.

I also close my eyes and "sleep" if they get on my train carriage late at night etc.