Privilege in its many guises

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Honestly, this is bonkers. I dont know how to say.

One thing that it is interesting, though, that in Australian stats, 16% of these 22% have been caused by a stranger. This is 3.5% . Still far more than I would expect.
And just the tip of the Iceberg as the vast majority of sexual assaults aren't reported or recorded in official statistics.

whitbyviking

To be honest, I think men are far more likely to be robbed or get the shit kicked out of them for shits and giggles. But there is a psychological difference too. Being safe and feeling safe are not the same thing. Then again, the vast majority of us are gonna go through life without suffering an attack like this.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you kind of got the worst deal here, pal. Since you are a man you are more likely to be attacked and since you are also aware of the dangers you don't have the luxury of feeling safe :nervous:
I see this in action nearly every night on union street in Aberdeen when I’m riding to and from the sports village. Gangs of scrotes attacking men, verbally and physically. The difference I suppose is that most of the men attacked probably aren’t going out automatically scared despite the probability of them being attacked actually being higher than they’d expect.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I think it was Dave Chappell who talked about being paid $10,000 in cash after a show and then had to take it home and how paranoid about everyone he was.

He compared that to walking around with a vagina. He walked home with $10k in his bag, that no one knew about, but it would only take anyone of those people he walked passed to be a wrong'un for him to be screwed.

Then imagine having to walk around every day with $10k in your bag, with a sign on your bag that says "cash in bag".

The perception of risk is obviously a personal one, but the effect of a perceived risk as a constant is going to be far more debilitating than the risk of a one off.

Someone mentioned lightening. If you live in the UK, it won't rain every day, most of those rain clouds won't be thunderous and you are likely to be near taller objects that will attract the lightening first. So you don't think about getting hit by lightening. If, however you live in a place where there are thunderstorms everyday and you live on a flat plain, the worry of going out is far greater, you'd think about it every single day.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I see this in action nearly every night on union street in Aberdeen when I’m riding to and from the sports village. Gangs of scrotes attacking men, verbally and physically. The difference I suppose is that most of the men attacked probably aren’t going out automatically scared despite the probability of them being attacked actually being higher than they’d expect.
Or sexually assaulted.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think it was Dave Chappell who talked about being paid $10,000 in cash after a show and then had to take it home and how paranoid about everyone he was.

He compared that to walking around with a vagina. He walked home with $10k in his bag, that no one knew about, but it would only take anyone of those people he walked passed to be a wrong'un for him to be screwed.

Then imagine having to walk around every day with $10k in your bag, with a sign on your bag that says "cash in bag".

The perception of risk is obviously a personal one, but the effect of a perceived risk as a constant is going to be far more debilitating than the risk of a one off.

Someone mentioned lightening. If you live in the UK, it won't rain every day, most of those rain clouds won't be thunderous and you are likely to be near taller objects that will attract the lightening first. So you don't think about getting hit by lightening. If, however you live in a place where there are thunderstorms everyday and you live on a flat plain, the worry of going out is far greater, you'd think about it every single day.
And we avoid going outside in a thunderstorm just as women avoid situations where sexual assault are more likely.

Of course the odds of getting struck by lightning (0.0065%) are hugely less than a woman being sexually assaulted (22-40% or far more given most sexual assults go unreported).

MarylandMUFan

If they’re that worried surely pepper spray and a knife is minimum. What’s a key gonna do at the end of the day unless you get a clear eyeball shot
Some carry pepper spray as well. Actually, one of my coworkers was going to Canada (this was back in the 90s), and she had to "surrender her pepper spray to the crown" when she was going through security. I remember her telling the story because I thought the phrase "surrender to the crown" was funny.

Moby

Dick
Some carry pepper spray as well. Actually, one of my coworkers was going to Canada (this was back in the 90s), and she had to "surrender her pepper spray to the crown" when she was going through security. I remember her telling the story because I thought the phrase "surrender to the crown" was funny.
:lol: some people are still living in the game of thrones fantasy world

TheRedHearted

Got it. Seems like they can’t carry fire arms, but yeah, pepper spray, multiple knives. I had a friend who was raped many years ago, need some type of protection

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I can relate to this issue. Most people don't understand how difficult life is when you're sexy like me.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Going right back to the opening post, the scenario described is a constant reality for women and girls. It's always something you think about. You're brought up to be aware that you're always taking a chance if you're out at night on your own.

I remember when the "Reclaim the Night" movement started in the UK in the 1970s, when I was a teenager. A great idea, but things haven't improved. It's only now, when I'm old and live in a little village that I feel safe walking out on my own late at night. And even now, every time I've done it I think "I couldn't do this back in England".

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Going right back to the opening post, the scenario described is a constant reality for women and girls. It's always something you think about. You're brought up to be aware that you're always taking a chance if you're out at night on your own.

I remember when the "Reclaim the Night" movement started in the UK in the 1970s, when I was a teenager. A great idea, but things haven't improved. It's only now, when I'm old and live in a little village that I feel safe walking out on my own late at night. And even now, every time I've done it I think "I couldn't do this back in England".
Does that not say more about England and English culture then?

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Honestly, your reaction. I think you're trying to imply some sort of meaning to what I said about sitting alone on a bus, which the driver does.
I've not implied anything, I've asked you what you're actually on about twice now to no avail, as it's pretty clear what I was talking about, so I'm out

Moby

Dick
No I don't think so. It's just that I didn't live in a tiny village in England where everyone knows everyone else.

Having said that, I wouldn't really want to live in England again.
I lived in a relatively smaller city in England, althought not as small as a village and pretty much 100% of the time if a girl was leaving my place after 10 or 11 pm I'd accompany them to their place even if it was 10 mins and a few streets away. Absolutely no chance they walk around alone during late hours and obviously they couldn't be more appreciative of not having to go through that activity alone, given the situation and potential danger.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Does that not say more about England and English culture then?
Not at all. It is the same in the majority of places in the world.

Even when it is extremely safe, like where Penna lives, the fact it still enters her head whenever she walks alone at night demonstrates how different men and women's experience is.