Privilege in its many guises

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
No it isn't. It only alienates people who like the status quote and don't want to think about the advantages and disadvantages that various groups experience.
Seems your way of thinking is going so well with making the world come together more and not at all divisive.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Tall males have a privilege when it comes into dating. That's one of checklist they checked by simply existing (and it doesn't even have to be maintained, unlike appearance and hygiene) because females prefers someone who is at least not shorter than them. If you're tall you probably don't notice it but for shorter ones, they have to adjust their pool to those within their reach (no pun intended) which means smaller pool. Also females who don't mind shorter males probably won't mind taller males as well which means they're also competitors.

So yeah Peter Crouch and Yao Ming might have the largest dating pools ever known to mankind.

Don't Kill Bill

The privilege of presentism.

The belief that things were always as they are now and that everyone today and in the past is/was entitled to things being this way. Rather than the more historically accurate view, that its mostly been a human shit show, from which some of us have only recently, partially and potentially temporarily, escaped.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Seems your way of thinking is going so well with making the world come together more and not at all divisive.
You think recognising different life experiences, which is all talk of priveledge is, is divisive? Ignoring it is just an excuse to be less empathetic for others. So rather thevoppodite. I find people who trot out this devisive line usually just don't want to think about it? as it may make them realise that you don't have to be royalty to have more unearned opportunity than some other people. It doesn't mean taking individual blame for anything.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You think recognising different life experiences, which is all talk of priveledge is, is divisive? Ignoring it is just an excuse to be less empathetic for others. So rather thevoppodite. I find people who trot out this devisive line usually just don't want to think about it? as it may make them realise that you don't have to be royalty to have more unearned opportunity than some other people. It doesn't mean taking individual blame for anything.
You've totally missed my point. I'm being pragmatic and trying to devise a way of showing privileges or lack thereof in a better, more successful manor.

I am making the point that ramming down the throat what privilege certain groups have isn't a wise idea. We see this after ten years of constant conversations around, for example white privilege, the world is more divided than ever.

The fact this messaging usually comes from places of authority/institutions/corporations etc doesn't help.

It's not a smart way of approaching this subject in my opinion. I think focusing on lack of rights rather than highlighting innate privilege goes down better and creates more sympathy.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You've totally missed my point. I'm being pragmatic and trying to devise a way of showing privileges or lack thereof in a better, more successful manor.

I am making the point that ramming down the throat what privilege certain groups have isn't a wise idea. We see this after ten years of constant conversations around, for example white privilege, the world is more divided than ever.

The fact this messaging usually comes from places of authority/institutions/corporations etc doesn't help.

It's not a smart way of approaching this subject in my opinion. I think focusing on lack of rights rather than highlighting innate privilege goes down better and creates more sympathy.
I think it's more about nuance. White privilege or male privilege sounds ridiculous if you're a white male but poor and unemployed and with little perspective - and there is a large group like that in society. They might be more privileged than their female peers, but none of their lives probably feel like privilege.

So the narrative should probably be much more fulsome, about equity at all levels for all groups, and then a bunch of examples of privilege and other inequities can be added for illustration - but the other way round ('there is this one privilege we need to fix') generally isn't very productive it seems to me, and might indeed add to (or be used for) polarization.

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I think it's more about nuance. White privilege or male privilege sounds ridiculous if you're a white male but poor and unemployed and with little perspective - and there is a large group like that in society. They might be more privileged than their female peers, but none of their lives probably feels like privilege.

So the narrative should probably be much more fulsome, about equity at all levels for all groups, and then a bunch of examples of privilege and other inequities can be added for illustration - but the other way round ('there is this one privilege we need to fix') generally isn't very productive it seems to me, and might indeed add to (or be used for) polarization.
Exactly, I support the message but not the delivery, which I feel is out of touch and hamfisted

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Exactly, I support the message but not the delivery, which I feel is out of touch and hamfisted
I still think you can talk about privilege though. It's just true that people for various reasons may experience serious advantages in their lives that have nothing to do with their efforts, and I think it's good to point that out. Especially since there is a lot of meritocratic thought around: if you work hard, you'll get what you deserve; and hence by extension (it's wrong logic, but very common): if you got it good, it's because you made efforts and deserve it. I think it's important to deconstruct that narrative - not to make people feel bad, but to allow for more realistic perspectives that then will also bring acceptance to the need for equity-increasing measures.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I still think you can talk about privilege though. It's just true that people for various reasons may experience serious advantages in their lives that have nothing to do with their efforts, and I think it's good to point that out. Especially since there is a lot of meritocratic thought around: if you work hard, you'll get what you deserve; and hence by extension (it's wrong logic, but very common): if you got it good, it's because you made efforts and deserve it. I think it's important to deconstruct that narrative - not to make people feel bad, but to allow for more realistic perspectives that then will also bring acceptance to the need for equity-increasing measures.
I agree, you can totally talk about privilege.