Pro Evolution 2017

2E_MUFC

FIFA gameplay this year is much Improved. Looking forward to seeing if this has improved. People saying licenses don't matter. They really do. No point being a good football game if you don't have all the teams

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
They only matter if you cant get an option file uploaded, which is looking to be a fairly easy affair this year rather than the shitshow of last years one.

I'm looking forward to trying this years FIFA demo though to see if the Frostbite engine improves on the gameplay.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
They only matter if you cant get an option file uploaded, which is looking to be a fairly easy affair this year rather than the shitshow of last years one.

I'm looking forward to trying this years FIFA demo though to see if the Frostbite engine improves on the gameplay.
I'm really liking FIFA 17 so far - have been playing the Pro Clubs mode and it feels much improved over last year.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
No love for this yet? I have been playing the last few hours and it is excellent. The gameplay is so fluid.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How is a good online experience a "less important bit"?

It's essential to any solid video game for the mass consumer market in the gaming industry.
Depends from person to person. I dont value online gaming much, nor do I care for the "consumer market". I want the game with superior gameplay and I tend to find that in PES.

FIFA gameplay this year is much Improved. Looking forward to seeing if this has improved. People saying licenses don't matter. They really do. No point being a good football game if you don't have all the teams
If you have a PS4 you will have all the teams and kits. So for PlayStation owners who don't mind a little but of effort it genuinely doesn't matter.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I really like it. Headers are a lot better, as are crosses.

Quite why they've decided to reverse the colour scheme for form and still can't cobble together a decent replay function, remains baffling.

Last edited:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Fun so far, from what I've played. Can you change the controls on the demo? Way too used to FIFA controls.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Is it too difficult to ask for both?

Konami have totally ignored their online platform for years, pretty much since last gen.

One of the biggest attractions of FIFA for me is the ability to play 2v2 seasons, which holds your record against other pairs online. It's such a basic concept, yet enhances my experiences incredibly.

It really should be a basic requirement for any game developer, in this day and age, to have hosted servers that are able to maintain a steady connection to host a video game between 2 clients.
Nope it's not. I understand the need for online gaming and how lucrative it is for companies, I just think that multiplayer with a group of friends, in the same living room is where it's at. Online gaming isolates you a little.

Ole90+3

Nope it's not. I understand the need for online gaming and how lucrative it is for companies, I just think that multiplayer with a group of friends, in the same living room is where it's at. Online gaming isolates you a little.
I agree, but, I'm sure you appreciate that it is more convenient to pop online for a PvP game than to organise a get together with mates.

2E_MUFC

Depends from person to person. I dont value online gaming much, nor do I care for the "consumer market". I want the game with superior gameplay and I tend to find that in PES.

If you have a PS4 you will have all the teams and kits. So for PlayStation owners who don't mind a little but of effort it genuinely doesn't matter.
So it's easier than last year? Because it wasn't as simple as it should of been last year. Having to actually go through every team and change the base colours was a pain in the arse. Rather than a simple upload.

amolbhatia50k

So it's easier than last year? Because it wasn't as simple as it should of been last year. Having to actually go through every team and change the base colours was a pain in the arse. Rather than a simple upload.
No idea. I imagine it will be the same..I agree, having to individually do each team was annoying. But given I play my football game pretty much the whole year, it's a small deal for me. Was so much easier on the ps3, a simple copy paste of files.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
No idea. I imagine it will be the same..I agree, having to individually do each team was annoying. But given I play my football game pretty much the whole year, it's a small deal for me. Was so much easier on the ps3, a simple copy paste of files.
You have the demo yet amol? Thoughts?

I'm definitely getting the game, as my studies are finishing this month. I hardly touched '16.

amolbhatia50k

Tried two games of the new demo and the CPU defending seems to be vastly improved. They're getting tackles in situations where I'd easily drift by them in PES 2016.

So far, it seems as though what was an excellent game has improved this year. What matters is by how much.

One small observation that could have a big impact on master league- it seems they've given proper ratings to the whole squad. Arsenals youth talents are rated as around 70 as opposed to the pointless 58-62 ratings in previous years which rendered them irrleevant. If they do that for every team, then the pool of players who you'd be able or want to sign will be much much bigger. That'll have a big impact on my experience if true. But it couls be that they've done this only for the licenced teams.

amolbhatia50k

You have the demo yet amol? Thoughts?

I'm definitely getting the game, as my studies are finishing this month. I hardly touched '16.
Just posted initial impressions. Doesn't appear as big a leap as 16 was but then again 16 was a huge leap. But the first touch, variation to play and CPU defending seems better. Early days though.

Woodzy

Zlatan is going to be unreal on this. Even with Giroud I was holding up the ball up top waiting for support, winning headers that I had no right to and generally putting myself about. Such a different way of playing a football game compared to the usual pass, pass, goal. Also, long balls are so much fun in this game that I might just chuck Rooney in midfield and spread the ball out to Valencia at every given opportunity.

I beg anyone that wants to get the most out of this game (demo) to just throw it on manual and a high difficulty, and play it properly. Adjust the way you play to the players you have and it will be so much fun.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
It's a simple upload this year, no base colour/Number colour changing shite this year!

Had a handful of games last night, really enjoying it so far. One thing I noticed is the CPU team seems to actually foul you and get yellow cards this year. The crossing and heading is very satisfying too, scored about three headers each of them were different types of contact on the ball.

Last edited:

Ole90+3

Advanced through balls seems more snappy, but it seems like may be a hindrance rather than a benefit against Top Player / Superstar - still takes too long to release the ball.

Graphics in the cut scenes are excellent.

One thing that has annoyed me with PES for years is that when playing with 2 WF, they seem to never track back at all, they maintain in a stationary touchline position. I know this can be combated somewhat with Fluid Formation, but I still find it annoying.

amolbhatia50k

It's seems to be lot less arcadey than last year. Not as easy to fly away from your man. Last year I could use R2 to go to a standstill and use whichever way I wanted to get ahead of my man. This year it's a lot easier to misplace or err in your passing, first touch, dribbling and possession retention, which is great.

The thing I'm most interested in is the tactical options. There seems to be a lot of options. And they've been stressing on the CPU adapting to your patterns of play. I don't know if this was an example of that or me noticing too much, but half way through a game against Barcelona they began to press the life out of my players high up the pitch and it was impossible to retain possession.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Played this tonight. It's decent but it still feels so arcadey to me. Some of the player models are spot on though. Messi's dribbling style is so accurate and I like the way the ball can rebound anywhere and it doesn't feel as scripted. So much other stuff feels off about it though, turning your player feels like a chore and the keepers are awful. It reminds me of an arcade game where you have the joystick and two big buttons.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Played this tonight. It's decent but it still feels so arcadey to me. Some of the player models are spot on though. Messi's dribbling style is so accurate and I like the way the ball can rebound anywhere and it doesn't feel as scripted. So much other stuff feels off about it though, turning your player feels like a chore and the keepers are awful. It reminds me of an arcade game where you have the joystick and two big buttons.
:lol:

zain

Believe
I don't care about master league, or any of the other nonsense.
All I want to know is how the online play is in regards to playing with a friend or playing online friendlies with strangers.

If it's anything like last year, where you can barely connect with anyone, and that you can only connect with people in your region, then that sucks. If I've got a friend in Australia and I'm in Canada, and I won't be able to play with him, that sucks.
Plus, the online play had ridiculous lag.
I love this game cause it's a proper football simulator and because how much I loved the series from PES 3/4/5/6..., but if they can't let me play with my friends half way across the world, what's the point? I'll just have to stick with FIFA.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
How's PES these days? The last one I got was in 2012 or 2013 but was never able to play online because the servers were always under maintenance so I just switched back to Fifa.. the game seemed good though.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Anyone whose been playing FIFA constantly for years needs to give this a long, thorough play before complaining about it. Otherwise you'll just be playing it like FIFA, getting annoyed when things you're used to doing in FIFA don't come off like they do in FIFA. It's a completely pointless way of approaching it.

I've been slagging this off for ages but finally switched back to it last year. There were still lots of annoying niggles, but I found it impossible to go back to FIFA's predictable, cartoony game play after sticking with this for a full week. All its cosmetic features are consistently appalling and I've heard online is regularly a mess, but as an actual football gaming experience I think it's comfortably the better. Though I'm aware people were still saying that during the PS3 era (because I was making fun of them)

Eitherway, it's very, very close to being back, gameplay wise. Though in a age where computer games are huge in scope and breadth, and people expect Ultimate Teams, ProClubs, Journey modes and SuperRainbowTrout trophies, I'm not sure that alone is enough anymore. The PS2 era days of just bungling it on for a quick match 'round your mates, all seems a bit quaint now.

Last edited:

NM

is it me or can you not move people around on the formation screen (custom formation basically) on the tactics?

amolbhatia50k

There's no chance this is arcadey. As mockney said, FIFA regulars will have give it more time to do the game justice. PES is a very different experience and that takes time to adjust to. I do think they've made turning and weaving about harder but I like that as it was too easy on 2016. And players simply don't do these things that easily in real life.

JB08

is it me or can you not move people around on the formation screen (custom formation basically) on the tactics?
Wondered this too, don't think it's possible for some reason.

NM

Has to be there in the main game

Sounds like you have been playing FIFA.

The keepers were very good (Against me) on supertar. Turning your player is supposed to be hard. Good players can do it easily though. Payet seems to be very good at it

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think you have to hold a particular button before the player dot gets "unstuck" and you can move it around. At least, that's how it worked in the older games.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I've played about 5 games, can't say I'm too impressed to be honest! I have PES 2016 but haven't played it in a few months so this demo is very fresh for me. I'd agree with the people who say that PES has surpassed FIFA when it comes to gameplay, especially against the AI.

I haven't enjoyed this demo so far though. The passing doesn't seem great to me, it's a bit too easy to fling the ball around the oppositions box with quick one touch passing and ultimately play someone in, although to be fair I'm yet to play on superstar difficulty. My biggest gripe would be the goalkeepers. They parry far too much and I've scored two goals from outside the box, and both times the keepers did this weird motion where they kind of went to dive but then didn't and it didn't look good at all.

I'm also not mad on the graphics which might be an unpopular opinion. The cut scenes are absolutely fantastic and the close ups are undeniably impressive, but when you're actually playing the game I don't think it looks good at all.

I'll keep playing it and give it more of a chance anyway.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
Can't understand how some people can say it's like an arcade game, even though i have to agree, they have made the passing a little bit easier.
Keepers have always been a concern in PES, i wish they could find a way to make them behave like real goalkeepers, with realistic catch/parry percentages and realistic occasional blunders as well. The supermanlike Goalkeepers in FIFA, who can deflect a ball to the post just by looking at it, aren't much better though.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
If people are finding the passing too arcadey take off the passing assist and change through balls to advanced/manual in the controller menu ( I also take off the annoying target guide that shows when its set to advanced), press square in the controller select screen to bring the menu up. I also prefer shooting set to advanced, means when you shoot & you push the analogue stick toward the net it aims high and pull back away to do a low drive.

2E_MUFC

It's a simple upload this year, no base colour/Number colour changing shite this year!

Had a handful of games last night, really enjoying it so far. One thing I noticed is the CPU team seems to actually foul you and get yellow cards this year. The crossing and heading is very satisfying too, scored about three headers each of them were different types of contact on the ball.
Oh this is good news!

Woodzy

If people are finding the passing too arcadey take off the passing assist and change through balls to advanced/manual in the controller menu ( I also take off the annoying target guide that shows when its set to advanced), press square in the controller select screen to bring the menu up. I also prefer shooting set to advanced, means when you shoot & you push the analogue stick toward the net it aims high and pull back away to do a low drive.
I'd been playing the demo using advanced, not realising I usually play manual. I wondered why every shot I was taking was going over the bar!

JP77

It's locked for the demo mate, will be the same as usual in the full game.

Payet is incredible on this game, imagine he'll be one of my favourites on the game this year. Just so good out wide, cutting back onto his right foot and whipping balls into the box. That's where PES really shines with some of it's player I.D stuff, you really feel the different in so many aspects with different players.

JB08

Just pulled off this beauty with the Pog himself :drool:

Woodzy

That fecking goal :drool: I love booting the ball into the box on this. Can't wait to play Master League and build a team around a certain tactic.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Check out what happened at 9:21. I thought it was nice before I realised it was Busquets who was fouled, which just makes it that much more brilliant.