Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 (PES)

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It looks quite good actually, if you ignore the way the idiots are playing the game. Looks more responsive than 2014, which is my main gripe about that game.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Portrait mode, what a fecking cnut.

Aside from that crime of humanity and the morons playing it, it actually looks very fluid and responsive. I just dont understand why the two main football game developers dont just release at least some proper game footage in their trailers as the usual shite with the camera flying about everywhere like a feckin wasp dont tell you anything about the gameplay at all.

Last edited:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It actually looks really good. It's far more fluid than I expected. Damn, I was expecting me to be able to easily ignore it again and save some money but perhaps not.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Some absolute legend edited the video so it's focused on the game.

I can't get over the way this two guys are playing. Not a single backward pass. Is this how people always play online?

Spielmacher

I hope it's good, don't really want to switch to FIFA now after 5+ years of PES. PES 2014 was pretty bad compared to the 2013 version, but I still played it all the time, can't get used to the FIFA gameplay.

Ling

I switched to FIFA this year, after playing almost every Konami series since 2002 or something like that. Winning eleven it was on PS1. PES14 is terrible, I don't understand Konami why would they make a game so bad. I don't have any hope for PES15, maybe they'll surprise me.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
PES 2015: THE BEAUTIFUL GAME IS BACK
How Konami is learning from last year’s mistakes to win over the fans.

BY: CHRIS SCHILLING
JULY 7, 2014

Last year, Konami tried something very different with its celebrated football series, and the change didn't go down too well with everyone. A move to the Fox engine brought about a slower, more measured pace and some irritatingly lengthy animations meant PES lost that all-important responsiveness. The fanbase reacted strongly. Konami's attempts to make a beautiful game meant that it had lost sight of the reasons why the sport is referred to as the beautiful game.

"We forgot why people played PES in many ways." Konami's European brand manager Adam Bhatti is refreshingly frank about the failings of last year's game, and is keen to put things right this year. "In PES ‘14 you have to think two seconds before you're going to do something, because you're waiting for the animation to play out. And that's not PES. So we're going back to basics, to why you played PES in the first place. PES5 and 6 have been earmarked by us - the era where the fans say to us 'that's when you guys were the best'. But of course, you can't hi-res PES5 and 6 and ship it for £50."

The result is something that feels much closer to the PES of two years ago. PES 2013 is almost certainly the best of the last-generation games, and there’s a similar pace and flow to the action here. The main difference is that Konami has not only had an extra year with the Fox engine, but is now working on new generation hardware. We only get to play the PS4 version, but the signs are very promising: already it’s running in 1080p at 60 frames per second, and that change is particularly evident in the replays, which no longer resemble a flipbook animation. The presentation is slightly slicker, though celebrations need more variety. Players frequently made a beeline for the camera to plant a smacker on the lens after scoring: a particularly unnerving prospect when Rooney’s just smashed one in.

“The Pitch is Ours” is the marketing line, with the publisher bullish about its performance on the field compared to its moneyed rival. “We all know who has more licences, we all know who has more [marketing] money,” says Bhatti. “But something that they can't compete on - if we get things right - is the gameplay. That’s something we can truly own. So when we say we've got the best gameplay, you truly believe that.”

Having spent several hours with the most recent build of the game, I can happily report that Konami’s confidence doesn’t seem misplaced. Passing is crisp and responsive, players control smoothly, and shooting is even better: I scored a wide range of goals, and no two were quite the same. It’s too early to judge whether there are any sweet spots, but if any were present, they certainly weren’t immediately apparent. There’s also a new ‘jinking run’ feature, which sees your player slow down with the ball as you squeeze the right trigger, allowing you to make sudden changes of pace or direction to beat your marker.

While it’s a pity that only Juventus and Manchester United are available in the current build, it serves to highlight one of the areas where PES has historically held an advantage over FIFA. The differences between the two teams’ playstyles are immediately tangible, with the fallen former Premier League champions’ offensive play nullified by the Italian side, which, despite so many deep-lying players, is capable of breaking at pace. Alternatively, you can rely on Andrea Pirlo to plant the perfect lofted pass onto the head of lanky forward Fernando Llorente, or to drill through-balls to the terrier-like Carlos Tevez, who I had great fun teasing the lumbering Phil Jones with.

In truth, the lofted through-ball does feel slightly overpowered at present. Some of that may be down to Pirlo’s natural ability, but I also managed to pull off the same trick with Arturo Vidal and even Darren Fletcher when playing as United. Goalkeepers seem to have taken a leaf out of Manuel Neuer’s book, acting as ‘sweeper keepers’ and rushing out to punt loose balls upfield, theoretically preventing players from relying on long chipped passes between the centre backs. But it still became an all-too-useful fallback in the later games when I wasn’t getting any joy elsewhere.

And while the goalies are generally decent shot-stoppers, they’re not without their weaknesses. Both David De Gea and Gianlugi Buffon are international-class custodians, but their tendency towards feeble punches from set-pieces was slightly worrying, as was their propensity to concede at their near post. Indeed, all but two of the goals I conceded over more than a dozen matches looked eminently saveable, and several hit a curiously limp glove before nestling in the corner.

Outfield players also make the odd mistake. More than once I winced as a seemingly perfect pass smacked against my striker’s heels, and you’ll still get those frustrating moments where an AI controlled team-mate races towards a ball as it’s about to go out of play, and letting it cannon off them to gift your opponents a throw-in. Animations aren’t always as smooth as you’d like, either, though I’d be prepared to accept the occasional jarring transition as a trade-off for more responsive controls. Besides, these issues are relatively few and far between for such an early build of the game, and the progress made elsewhere suggest that Konami is on the right track.

Off the pitch, the publisher is making the right kind of noises, too. Konami has recruited local football experts from the global PES community to crowdsource content in the game, leading to live weekly updates. Player behaviour will apparently reflect real-life form, though as James Cox, studio head of PES’s new UK division admits, “there’s no biting!”

The key focus for Konami now, says Bhatti, is that first playable demo. “Whether it’s around Gamescom or after Gamescom, we don’t want any excuses this year. When you guys see it, you’ll feel like it’s a finished game. It will have that polish.” It’s clear that Konami is determined to re-establish PES as the connoisseur’s choice of football game, and while it’s early days yet, the pre-season signs are very promising indeed.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/07/pes-2015-the-beautiful-game-is-back
Sounds promising, I like the sound of the Jinking runs.

oh Pro Evolution, why do you do this to me every year :nervous:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was sold at "So we're going back to basics, to why you played PES in the first place. PES5 and 6 have been earmarked by us"

If you're holding to that promise Konami... take my money now.

Jagga7

PES has been so bad for so long :(. It was the premier football game on the ps2. PES 1, 2 and 3 were 3 of the best football games of all time imo. I skipped school so many times to play PES with my mates. Great times!

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
Konami always come out with this kind of chat every year. The real proof is in the pudding. I for one am not going to get sucked in by their PR bullshit again - they've let me down too many times now. PES 2014 was a mess.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
PES...

It is like your first love that then cheats on you that you see every so often, you always wonder "what if" but then you remember the mistrust.

Spielmacher

True, it's always people who can't play at all, but the game itself looks good for a Demo version of a game that's only released in 3 months.

Demo release is on 17th of September for all platforms I read.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
PES...

It is like your first love that then cheats on you that you see every so often, you always wonder "what if" but then you remember the mistrust.
And now it's at the point where she can send as many texts promising to sleep with you as she'd like... but until she actually hops on, it's difficult to take it seriously.

Spielmacher

PES...

The 2013 game was very good, the 2014 wasn't, but I still played it an awful lot, because I love football games and just can't get into FIFA.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I would love for PES to knock it out of the park again, I really would. MLO has the potential to be one of the best game modes in all of sports games IMO. But then they are about to ruin that by allowing micro transactions.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It looks better than the FIFA gameplay footage...But then, it always looks better than the FIFA gameplay footage. Means little when it comes around.

Spielmacher

The gameplay has mostly been above FIFA imo. Of course I'm biased, but this years announcements look promising, I'm a very big fan of ML and they announced that there finally will be managers included with mentality and tactics changes which should make it more exciting. Plus the PES 6 comments.
FIFA has way more features and the career mode is better on it, but the gameplay is just way more realistic on PES. FIFA's database is obviously a lot bigger and they got the licenses, which may be a problem for console gamers, but if you play on PC it won't be that much of a problem due to patches for leagues et cetera.

Spielmacher

That could be it, however evidence would also suggest it's because the game actually is all over the place, like the last release.
Don't think so, they didn't even try to tackle at times, no wonder it looks all over the place. And like I said, it's still 3 months till the final release.

Shark

@NotShark
Don't think so, they didn't even try to tackle at times, no wonder it looks all over the place. And like I said, it's still 3 months till the final release.
Aside from trying demos, I haven't bought a PES game since around 2006, so you'd know better than me. I really do hope that it returns to its former glory though, as EA piss me off to no end.

MalibuKen

I played PES 2014 far more than FIFA 14. Me and my housemate played 4 seasons of master league against the CPU, that's about 200 odd games. We had just as much fun on the last game as the first, some of the goals we scored were amazing. Proper 'jump out of your chair' stuff. The passing, the control, the shooting, anything felt possible.

I never touched FIFA 14 on the xbox 360 again.

I then played FIFA 14 on the xbox one around a mates house and it was horrible. Absolutely hated it, all the players were exactly the same with floaty, unrealistic movement with no sense of weighting. Classic EA Sports. I gave it a good chance, as we had a weekend full of beers, fifa and pizza playing online and against a few mates.

I can't wait for PES2015.

MalibuKen

The main thing for me is that with Neymar, I feel like I could skip past anyone, and with Pirlo I feel like I can dictate the game and never lose the ball, popping it off here and there before making incisive passes. It's glorious.

mufcwarm92

I genuinely don't know anyone who still plays PES. It's miles behind and every demo I tried on the ps3 was wank. Would be nice to see them bring out a proper challenger but I can't see it.

MalibuKen

I played FIFA since FIFA 08/09 exclusively but got tired of the same scripted shit that happens, the boring goals, the lack of control, the floaty players, the same game every year but with updated teams.

But we all have different opinions. I'll continue to get the kind of enjoyment playing football games that I haven't had since PES 4/5/6 and you can continue to play FIFA :)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It will be better than FIFA as usual. But that's not the standard I want it to meet.

Last years game had two issues:

1. The lag in the gameplay. It was a deliberate attempt to create an experience where me has to be more careful and measured but it was overdone really with the player often having to wait for the animation to complete before he can do what he wants to next. The pes chaps have acknowledged this and decided tosh for to a more responsive system with a greater focus on entertaining gameplay. So this one seems to be sorted.

2. A better master league. This mode has gone stale and they need to sort it out. Player regeneration, interface, etc is all wrong. A 16 year old seedorf popped up on my game rated 92/93.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That demo looks like it has all of the exact same issues as the last game had...which are basically the exact same issues as the three or four odd before that.

Why don't they try concentrating on fixing the things that are wrong with it for a change?

Last year finally killed it for me. Until then Master League was just about keeping me into it long enough for it to be worthwhile...then when I played Master League on 2014, I was thrashing everyone 5-0 on the hardest difficulty with a team of default players.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
This game is miles behind FIFA 14 and likely 15. I would never consider buying this game, ever.

Lowkey

This game is miles behind FIFA 14 and likely 15. I would never consider buying this game, ever.
miles behind...Fifa is shite. Apart from Ultimate team, the game itself is crap. As has been the last few pro's. There are no decent football games at the mo. This looks half decent so far from that video