Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bosws87

I'm not knocking the Xbox looks a solid upgrade just with the new game pass route microsoft are going there is not a single reason to own both if you have a decent gaming pc.

£3.99 a month to play the first party exclusives cant turn your nose up at that it's great!

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Quite a bit.
Better frame rate
Better support
Mods
Better textures, in game depth and so forth
More ability to change settings like FOV etc
Games just seem to work better on PC in general I feel
I think that for me is the only massive advantage.

I used to PC game a lot about 10 years ago and invested a lot of money into a set up that made things look and play amazing.

I then got into console gaming and honestly mods is the only thing I miss.

I genuinely don’t think it’s worth the money.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think that for me is the only massive advantage.

I used to PC game a lot about 10 years ago and invested a lot of money into a set up that made things look and play amazing.

I then got into console gaming and honestly mods is the only thing I miss.

I genuinely don’t think it’s worth the money.
Despite on average saving more money than you'll spend with cheaper games, no online fees and possibly even in future not having to pay as much as a new console to upgrade?

Fair enough I suppose ;)

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Despite on average saving more money than you'll spend with cheaper games, no online fees and possibly even in future not having to pay as much as a new console to upgrade?

Fair enough I suppose ;)
I think it’s partly down to change in time and commitments.

I’m a far more casual gamer than before so now the one off large purchase of a PC worthy of investing in bulk is more of an issue than every 4 years having a few hundred pounds investment.

I guess I’d rather spend the money required to save for a good build on holidays etc.

Might add to this I currently have all three consoles and my current PC is capable of playing my steam collection well enough.

I genuinely don’t get the extra pleasure from frame rate or other graphical improvements to warrant a change.

Edit: For the record I agree they always look and play better on PC but I guess how much better I don’t see as being worth it plus more of my mates are on consoles now.

Redlambs

I think it’s partly down to change in time and commitments.

I’m a far more casual gamer than before so now the one off large purchase of a PC worthy of investing in bulk is more of an issue than every 4 years having a few hundred pounds investment.

I guess I’d rather spend the money required to save for a good build on holidays etc.

Might add to this I currently have all three consoles and my current PC is capable of playing my steam collection well enough.

I genuinely don’t get the extra pleasure from frame rate or other graphical improvements to warrant a change.
And that's totally fair enough :)

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Both these console tops models will cost £450-£500. They would have announced the price now If they were £400.

vanthaman

Winner
not sure what im gonna do. don't think i'll get a PS5 at launch because spiderman is the only game this year im interested in and that doesn't seem to be a full game. My PC is decent enough (Ryzen 3600 and a 1660 Super) but not as powerful as XSX.

XSX and PC does seem overkill but is probably the way I will go. not sure I can pass up that lovely new console goodness.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Xbox is crap and the rest of the world knows it.

PS4 - 107m units sold
Switch - 50m units sold
Xbox One - 46m units sold.
Completely agree. It also just isn't cool. Change my mind.

steeeb

To be fair Sony have been somewhat clever in that the 1st party games that'll take advantage of the SSD will be somewhat unique until PC I/O can do a similar thing (or rather, PC game developers will take time to do something needing that - at the moment no one would as it would only have a 1% market to aim at).

Xbox series X is basically just a PC so unless you really want what little first party games there are there's not really any reason to own one?

Games released on both are in a weird position as they can't really take advantage of the extra horsepower of the XS1 or the extra SSD performance on the PS5 so for those the PC versions would likely easily be superior.

Redlambs

In a few years time, I wonder if anyone will remember the hype about the PS5 ssd?

I mean, it's a great system and all and it should promote a rethink in exclusive games and how to use it (just like the Cell should have, but look in here about people actually calling it crap now!!), but as always I think people will forget about it past the initial launch. If not, PS gamers will certainly feel what PC ones have forever about other machines holding their potential back.

Oh and I love how I/O has become a rival to this gen's buzzword of ray tracing :lol:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I dunno, I used to destroy Weaste in the PS3 vs X360 debates!
You destroyed in talking sense of course. But in terms of numbers it's always been very out of balance. For example, Weaste had an advantage in that there was a mini-Weaste (aka Elvis) running around like Flavor Flav "Yeah booooiii"-ing everything Weaste said.

Redlambs

Weaste did beat Redlambs on many an occasion.
Name one.

You destroyed in talking sense of course. But in terms of numbers it's always been very out of balance. For example, Weaste had an advantage in that there was a mini-Weaste (aka Elvis) running around like Flavor Flav "Yeah booooiii"-ing everything Weaste said.
:lol:

Xbox has had it's fair share of shills too though, cider, alock, bojan to name a few...

Hehehe!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Redlambs

To be fair 90% of what you both discussed went over my head. Didn't have a clue :lol: It's interesting looking back now just how disastrous the PS3 launch was for Sony.
Yeah, they fecked a lot of it up. To be fair though, as I said all along, the problem wasn't the Cell it was lack of talented developers (it was a huge problem then as they switched to uni degrees not worth a wank) coupled with the money men not giving to time to learn. But, if you look at what's happened since, Sony learned how important devs and ease of use were and now we got the PS4 and PS5 made for go over show.

It was funny to flip over to Weaste's side for the launch of the PS4 vs M$'s disasterous run up to the Xboner though. Felt good to mock their absolute shite and every single thing I said to cider and alock about the kinect 2.0 and the trash memory bridge thing (who remembers that? It's what the new I/O thing of yesteryear looked like :lol:) was bang on the money.

I do miss Weaste though. He was a real intelligent motherfudger.

Ainu

In a few years time, I wonder if anyone will remember the hype about the PS5 ssd?

I mean, it's a great system and all and it should promote a rethink in exclusive games and how to use it (just like the Cell should have, but look in here about people actually calling it crap now!!), but as always I think people will forget about it past the initial launch. If not, PS gamers will certainly feel what PC ones have forever about other machines holding their potential back.

Oh and I love how I/O has become a rival to this gen's buzzword of ray tracing :lol:
I think people will gradually pay less attention to it but the games will continue to benefit from it. It's not a star feature like ray-tracing (unless it's really in your face like the rift mechanic in the upcoming Ratchet game) but it's certainly not a gimmick either. I think the main difference with Cell is that it's not unusual technology, people who build gaming PCs generally put super fast storage in as well, it's just that PS5's solution is really fast at this point in time.

I suspect multiplatform games will not benefit from it all that much initially but as the generation goes on and devs start to make more assumptions about PC storage speeds (with Xbox also decently equipped in that area), PS5's solution could start to pay dividends. And first-party titles will definitely make excellent use of it throughout its lifetime.

Redlambs

I think people will gradually pay less attention to it but the games will continue to benefit from it. It's not a star feature like ray-tracing (unless it's really in your face like the rift mechanic in the upcoming Ratchet game) but it's certainly not a gimmick either. I think the main difference with Cell is that it's not unusual technology, people who build gaming PCs generally put super fast storage in as well, it's just that PS5's solution is really fast at this point in time.

I suspect multiplatform games will not benefit from it all that much initially but as the generation goes on and devs start to make more assumptions about PC storage speeds (with Xbox also decently equipped in that area), PS5's solution could start to pay dividends. And first-party titles will definitely make excellent use of it throughout its lifetime.
Ahh, but it's not just super fast. It's something that can actually be used to define the game around it. Much like the Cell was, and the Emotion Engine before it. For the best use of the architecture, it'll need teams to actually use it for more than quick loading times. It's like Nintendo do when they introduced mainstream motion controls, or dual screens, or 3D screens. Their own teams come up with creative game changing uses, whilst others don't. Those latter results are still cool, but forgotten past the initial buzz.

But you are correct, multi games will restrict the PS5 to the lowest common denominator in some regards, just like the PC always has been. But that's not to say the XsX nor the PC can't be fast still, let's remember the PS5 has a new pipeline but it's still not hugely powerful in other areas, so balance will inevitably come.

BTW the best thing about that Ratchet game, and like the little devil inside one, isn't the level loading tricks. I loved the particles, the grass and the art style and the engines behind them. They showed that beyond all the usual nonsense of "x times more powerful!" and all the fluff of bigger textures and more polys, that the true beauty can be in the scenes themselves and how much more effort we will see in shaders, effects and lighting. Also, the Ratchet demo was super smooth in terms of framerate, people who argue "30fps is enough!" really don't get just how good a constant 60 actually is. And even then, that's years out of date :lol:

Ainu

Ahh, but it's not just super fast. It's something that can actually be used to define the game around it. Much like the Cell was, and the Emotion Engine before it. For the best use of the architecture, it'll need teams to actually use it for more than quick loading times. It's like Nintendo do when they introduced mainstream motion controls, or dual screens, or 3D screens. Their own teams come up with creative game changing uses, whilst others don't. Those latter results are still cool, but forgotten past the initial buzz.

But you are correct, multi games will restrict the PS5 to the lowest common denominator in some regards, just like the PC always has been. But that's not to say the XsX nor the PC can't be fast still, let's remember the PS5 has a new pipeline but it's still not hugely powerful in other areas, so balance will inevitably come.

BTW the best thing about that Ratchet game, and like the little devil inside one, isn't the level loading tricks. I loved the particles, the grass and the art style and the engines behind them. They showed that beyond all the usual nonsense of "x times more powerful!" and all the fluff of bigger textures and more polys, that the true beauty can be in the scenes themselves and how much more effort we will see in shaders, effects and lighting. Also, the Ratchet demo was super smooth in terms of framerate, people who argue "30fps is enough!" really don't get just how good a constant 60 actually is. And even then, that's years out of date :lol:
The difference being that it's something a lot of devs will want to build their game around, because it makes their life easier. You couldn't really say the same about Cell. :lol: The good news is that with the amount of talented first-party studios, you can be fairly confident it'll be put to good use.

And yeah I loved the density of stuff going on in the Ratchet demo (can't quite recall the look of the other one). During the last few years of this generation, I've often thought I could live with more or less the same visual quality if there was just a lot more going on on screen and everything was more interactive. I mean complexer geometry and shaper textures are always welcome but not if it's at the cost of other technological advancements.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

The words that a wise man once said twelve years ago still seem as relevant as ever
And yeah jeez, funny how the Xbox is winning everything currently so the consensus is it’s pointless to own one. I think Bosws87 is trying his best to mention it on every page.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What is the Xbox winning?
Everything except load times by the looks of it?

CPU and GPU. The former probably being nothing in it in reality, but possibly something in the latter?

Storage. Although it looks like both will need more.

Likely little difference in reality but I’m liking the Xbox more at the mo, and I’m prepared to change back to PS if there’s enough reason to, and at the moment it’d just be for Gran Turismo (which could be great looking but dull racing once again) and Horizon, but I don’t that’s enough to pull me in. Especially with Game Pass on Xbox.

Castia

You have to be mega dull to prefer the Xbox.
They’ve done some great work in the past 2-3 years to try and claw back some market share. Gamepass is so good, like worth buying a console to use the service good. Then the One X release was also amazing, Red Dead 2 on the One X will be my best moment of this generation to date it’s draw dropping.

On top of that they went out and bought 4-5 studios so we should start seeing more and more exclusives in the coming years. They’re going In the right direction that’s for sure.

Ill be going ps5 at the start but my stepson is going Xbox (his friends all play xbox) I generally like both systems /shrug

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's out of balance in general. PS4 has comfortably won this battle and has the much bigger hold of the market. Only apt that it's represented here.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I dunno, I used to destroy Weaste in the PS3 vs X360 debates!
When you weren't trying to pretend with every few posts that you still have some insider industry knowledge you mean?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
The words that a wise man once said twelve years ago still seem as relevant as ever
That's basically every gaming forum on the internet. It's just simply a numbers game. The Xbox brand is dead in most countries.

Playstation is a worldwide brand and Xbox is not. I remember the PS3 going neck and neck with the 360 on this forum and that was when the 360 easily outsold the PS3 in the UK.

It is what it is. I expect the PS5 to outsell the next Xbox by close to 2:1 again. I think the best outcome for Xbox would be selling 60 million units lifetime. We can expect another 100 million for PlayStation.

I'm hopeful of buying both this gen. The last PS I owned was the PS2.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Did you guys see that the new Xbox will keep the same dashboard (but faster)? I'm ok with it as long as it's faster. I like where it is at now. I just wish it was snapper.

Last edited: