Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Got my PS4 at launch and only yesterday the sticker on the back of the controller started coming off. Now there's a sticky patch I keep getting on me but it lasted a solid amount of time before I had even the slightest issue.
We don't need to know your wanking habits Sol

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Did you do the Darker Side of the Moon?? Oh I enjoyed Luigi's and all.
Nah I struggle to carry on with games once the core story is over. Plus I had so many other games I wanted to play. Might go back to it eventually though.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The xbox has to compete with my pc and it is not going to win that battle, ever.
The ps5 has to compete with the ps4 Pro.

That's how it will be for multi-platform gamers when deciding between the two.
Nintendo is in a good position where it isn't really being challenged.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
PS3 had massive YLOD problems. Was even on watchdog a few times over it. Don’t know many people with the big fat launch PS3 that survived. My one died twice. Just the RROD was worse. But YLOD would be second worst in terms of console failure rates after it. Also don’t get me started on PS4 controllers. I think I been through 3 or 4 this gen.

Also @Massive Spanner when you have to open a console to put thermal paste, so that it helps being quiet then yeah we are talking about the design of the console. I even bought the latest Pro revisions and they were still loud. Hopefully Sony and by the looks of it have improved that for the PS5.
Me.

Sony consoles are more reliable than MS consoles, or least were in the past. Not sure how that can even be debated. The 360 was a disaster for RLOD.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Finally people are talking about the Xbox with more than just 'Xbox is stoopid, Playstation best'. My job is done. Can't be arsed quoting everyone that replied, especially @esmufc07.

As I've always said, in reality they'll be very close, but that GPU is quite a bit better so maybe there'll be more of a gap this time, I dunno. I was prepared to switch back to Playstation, but I think that and a few other things will keep me with Xbox.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm on the fence with which console I get this time. Think it'll probably come down to price, as the main games I play are cross platform anyways.

Only games leading me towards PS are gran turismo (but I've not enjoyed a racing game since the old GT) and the prospect of GoW at some point in the future.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm on the fence with which console I get this time. Think it'll probably come down to price, as the main games I play are cross platform anyways.
Hopefully COD stays that way. Imagine a Verdansk size map with RDR2 standard graphics :drool:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'll go both again, prioritise getting a ps5 first though. If the lads would switch to ps5 instead of Xbox I'd just leave it at ps5 though. They only play FIFA anyway.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'll go both again, prioritise getting a ps5 first though. If the lads would switch to ps5 instead of Xbox I'd just leave it at ps5 though. They only play FIFA anyway.
What they really need to do is cross play across the board. Then you could buy either console and not have to worry about who plays where. I lost contact with loads of people dropping XBox this Gen.

Not that deep though stayed in touch with most of my real mates...

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
What they really need to do is cross play across the board. Then you could buy either console and not have to worry about who plays where. I lost contact with loads of people dropping XBox this Gen.

Not that deep though stayed in touch with most of my real mates...
:lol:

Yeah cross play would be massive.

I do fear I'd miss a few exclusives, but not sure which, I can't think of many Xbox exclusives I've played tbh, Ori is probably the only one, didn't enjoy Forza or gears of war, halo never interested me.

afrocentricity

:lol:

Yeah cross play would be massive.

I do fear I'd miss a few exclusives, but not sure which, I can't think of many Xbox exclusives I've played tbh, Ori is probably the only one, didn't enjoy Forza or gears of war, halo never interested me.
Is Ori really that good then? I have it on PC.... Need to give it another go at some point.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Is Ori really that good then? I have it on PC.... Need to give it another go at some point.
Ori & the blind forest is fine, great visuals and a good story, but the battles are a bit meh. Ori and the will of the wisp is quite good in every way.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ori & the blind forest is fine, great visuals and a good story, but the battles are a bit meh. Ori and the will of the wisp is quite good in every way.
I loved them both, personally. The second is definitely the more polished game but doesn't quite match the charm of the first.

Also I played the 2nd after the first and it seemed easy in comparison. The first was ridiculously hard at times!

afrocentricity

Should I just skip the first and go onto the 2nd? Or is the 1st worth a playthrough? I've got a lotta games...

Edit: Answered by spanner.

EwanI Ted

I'm a Nintendo guy myself, but looking at these two consoles, I'd put my money on the PS5. Out of Sony's last 4 consoles, 3 were very dominant in terms of both sales and quality of games. In a funny sort of way, Microsoft have probably made more progress during this generation. The Xbox One launch was a total disaster, but from that unpromising start they've clawed a lot ground back over time, at least in terms of perception if not sales. If you were buying a new console today and all games were cross platform, you'd probably go Microsoft.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, there's more to it than cross platform games. Sony are now in the lucky position of having a handful of exclusives that are good enough for some people to buy the console for alone. The same way I buy Nintendo to play Zelda and Mario, some users will buy a Playstation to play God of War or Uncharted. Indeed, I saw this the other day, a list of the most highly ranked exclusives for each current gen platform (including Switch). Out of 40 games only 6 were for the Xbox, and 3 of those were Forza games. 20 were for the PS4.

Microsoft obviously recognise this and have been snapping up exclusive developers, so that could turn around. But they definitely have it all to do. The safe buy would be the PS5.

Ainu

I gave up the first one quite far into the game, where I had to escape some lava. I just didn't want to bother anymore, there was nothing remotely enjoyable about those crappy trial-and-error difficulty spikes. Shame because I loved the game in general, but it left such a sour taste that I'm not even interested in the second one anymore.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I loved them both, personally. The second is definitely the more polished game but doesn't quite match the charm of the first.

Also I played the 2nd after the first and it seemed easy in comparison. The first was ridiculously hard at times!
I kind of agree with your assessment on charm, but I think that is more down to the blind forest being the introduction to the world and characters. The novelty fades a bit during the second game.
But to me the combat in the first was a bore, while the combat in the second felt enjoyable enough for that type of game. Being able to farm and level up stuff is really important for my enjoyment.
Difficulty wise I don't think there was much difference between them, blind forest had the difficulty tied to platforming challenges & will of the wisps had the difficulty mostly in some combat situation and the auto-kill darkness place. :p
They certainly wouldn't go up against Hollow Knight on difficulty and the enjoyable feeling of mastering the systems.

I gave up the first one quite far into the game, where I had to escape some lava. I just didn't want to bother anymore, there was nothing remotely enjoyable about those crappy trial-and-error difficulty spikes. Shame because I loved the game in general, but it left such a sour taste that I'm not even interested in the second one anymore.
You were very close to the end, but yeah it's a bit daunting unless you are able to mentally accept death as a part of the learning process. For many it just doesn't feel right.

Lately I've been on a bit of a binge on metroidvanias & similar games, currently playing through 3000th duel and The Messenger.
I would rate the ones I've finished as following:
Tier 1 (All time great, must play): Hollow Knight & Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Tier 2: Ori & the will of the wisps, Death's Gambit, Timespinner & Dead Cells
Tier 3: Ori & the blind forest, Chasm & Blasphemous

I still have Sundered, Skul: the hero slayer, Salt & Sanctuary and Monster boy and the cursed kingdom to come. :drool:
Good to have a good back-catalog while I wait between the AAA jrpgs to be released.

Ainu

You were very close to the end, but yeah it's a bit daunting unless you are able to mentally accept death as a part of the learning process. For many it just doesn't feel right.
I have no problem with that in games like Super Meat Boy or Dark Souls for example, because it's part of the core gameplay loop and it defines the entire game. In Ori and the Blind Forest it's a clear departure from the rest of the game's style and it's not why I'm playing the game. Does the second game still have those sections?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm a Nintendo guy myself, but looking at these two consoles, I'd put my money on the PS5. Out of Sony's last 4 consoles, 3 were very dominant in terms of both sales and quality of games. In a funny sort of way, Microsoft have probably made more progress during this generation. The Xbox One launch was a total disaster, but from that unpromising start they've clawed a lot ground back over time, at least in terms of perception if not sales. If you were buying a new console today and all games were cross platform, you'd probably go Microsoft.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, there's more to it than cross platform games. Sony are now in the lucky position of having a handful of exclusives that are good enough for some people to buy the console for alone. The same way I buy Nintendo to play Zelda and Mario, some users will buy a Playstation to play God of War or Uncharted. Indeed, I saw this the other day, a list of the most highly ranked exclusives for each current gen platform (including Switch). Out of 40 games only 6 were for the Xbox, and 3 of those were Forza games. 20 were for the PS4.

Microsoft obviously recognise this and have been snapping up exclusive developers, so that could turn around. But they definitely have it all to do. The safe buy would be the PS5.
Not surprised. Also, PS4 benefits from having cracking Japanese titles as well in addition to their, IMO far superior originals as well.

I mean, there's no way I'm buying console the next God of War isn't coming on :drool:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
PS5 is a more popular brand worldwide. Water is wet.
We've got quite a few Xbox fans on here but they seem to post more in the PS5 thread than the Xbox one. Three pages is surprisingly few considering that - Veeva, for example, has got 35 posts in the PS5 thread and 4 posts in the Xbox one.

Cole9

It's a bit disappointing that there was no indication whether Horizon Forbidden West is a launch game or not. If it isn't, I'll probably hold off on getting a PS5 until that releases, because none of the known launch games really interest me so far.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's a bit disappointing that there was no indication whether Horizon Forbidden West is a launch game or not. If it isn't, I'll probably hold off on getting a PS5 until that releases, because none of the known launch games really interest me so far.
Won’t be a launch game. No year was given so probably a fair way off yet I’d imagine.

siw2007

I've owned games consoles for over 20 years, I have had all the Playstation's along with the Xbox and the Xbox 360 but overall I much prefer the Playstation to the Xbox because PS exclusive games are just so much better than Xbox ones.
I did really like my Xbox and my 4 360's. It had great games like Halo, KOTOR, Gears of War, Mass Effect and I much prefer the controller. I think right now that titles such as Halo and Gears have become a bit tired, the quality isn't as good and they don't excite like they used to, they need to find new IP's or re-invent them, in many ways like PS did with God of War. PS has always produced much better games but has always been effective at milking dry their big titles but never outstaying their welcome and then inventing new titles. For example, I think Uncharted is a game PS has milked to death now and doubt we will see number 5 anytime soon, but they will replace it with something else soon, while games such as Spider Man and Horizon still have plenty of legs left. Xbox at this moment doesn't have the same depth and with it acquiring new studios needs to get to the same level.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
We can all agree that xbox controller is far better than the PlayStation can't we?
Well that’s just crazy talk. The new PS controller looks like a mix of the DS4 and Nintendo Pro, which has the best shape of any controller.

I prefer the Xbox console design though, on first impressions. If mock ups are to be believed, the PS5 will be huge. It also looks like cooling would be more straightforward on the Xbox, though that is pure speculation.

afrocentricity

It also looks like cooling would be more straightforward on the Xbox, though that is pure speculation.
Not speculation, in that Road to PS5 they say how they had to come up with a unique cooling solution, the geek part of me cant wait to see it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
We've got quite a few Xbox fans on here but they seem to post more in the PS5 thread than the Xbox one. Three pages is surprisingly few considering that - Veeva, for example, has got 35 posts in the PS5 thread and 4 posts in the Xbox one.
Yep.

I mean if the Xbox guys want more Xbox talk, maybe they should actually start! :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
PS3 had massive YLOD problems. Was even on watchdog a few times over it. Don’t know many people with the big fat launch PS3 that survived. My one died twice. Just the RROD was worse. But YLOD would be second worst in terms of console failure rates after it. Also don’t get me started on PS4 controllers. I think I been through 3 or 4 this gen.

Also @Massive Spanner when you have to open a console to put thermal paste, so that it helps being quiet then yeah we are talking about the design of the console. I even bought the latest Pro revisions and they were still loud. Hopefully Sony and by the looks of it have improved that for the PS5.
Yeah I remember that Watchdog Special quite well. The report was made by an Xbox magazine journalist and was criticized for being inaccurate and trying to portray the small percentage of failures as (just like you've put it) massive, but you know, it's the same as the RROD... Pash.

afrocentricity

Yeah I remember that Watchdog Special quite well. The report was made by an Xbox magazine journalist and was criticized for being inaccurate and trying to portray the small percentage of failures as (just like you've put it) massive, but you know, it's the same as the RROD... Pash.
I had a YLOD, fixed it and sold it on eBay. I don't know how many RRODs I had but more than 5. I made quite a business out of fixing them in fact (and modding them).... Good times.