Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
How does the point still stand when it contradicts your point?
Because one being easier to design for ends up being next to meaningless in practice the majority of the time. That was the point.

have a look at RDR1 and GTA IV

Or the early gen COD (BO/MW/WAW/MW2)

I think one of the early EA games just (nearly) completely disregarded the CELL.

They all ran better on Xbox. I struggled to play RDR because it was so low res
Noted. I remember a lot of comparisons back then with marginal differences though.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They both have SSDs, it's not that one is easier than the other, they both are easier than the previous gen, the platforms are similar to each other and the previous gen so no need to start from scratch etc, and finally we are getting close to diminishing returns (graphically).

So I'm expecting things to be improved in numerous ways next gen, I don't think shinier graphics is enough tbh...

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
They both have SSDs, it's not that one is easier than the other, they both are easier than the previous gen, the platforms are similar to each other and the previous gen so no need to start from scratch etc, and finally we are getting close to diminishing returns (graphically).

So I'm expecting things to be improved in numerous ways next gen, I don't think shinier graphics is enough tbh...
Linus Tech Tips did a semi-interesting video on SSDs a few months ago.

tl;dw They had 3 'identical' PCs except one had a PCI Gen 4 SSD, one had an NVME SSD and one had a SATA 3 SSD. No one could tell the difference between what one was actually 'faster'. Actually its more than that, some of those they had looking at the computers swore blind that certain PCs were the fastest or slowest, i.e. that the SATA 3 PC was the fastest or that the Gen-4 was the slowest. I think it's a case of the semi-random bottlenecks in other areas producing slowdowns that made them think that one PC must be the slowest or not.

I don't claim to understand everything Sony are coming out with, with the PS5, but it definitely seems like a paradigm shift

rcoobc

Also, I didn't realise but watching that Mark Cerny video, they seem to have announced that the SSD has 825 GB of space available.

that emerges for an SSD is 825 gigabytes the key question for us was is that enough it's tempting to add more but flash certainly doesn't come cheap and we have a responsibility to our gaming audience to be cost effective with regards to what we put in the console ultimately we resolve this question by looking at the play patterns of a broad range of gamers we examined the specific games that they were playing over the course of a weekend or week or a month and whether that set of games would fit properly on the SSD we were able to establish that the friction caused by reinstalled or read downloads would be quite low and so we locked in on that 825 gigabyte size while also preparing multiple strategies so that those who want more storage can add it I'll go through the details at a later date

I think we'll be able to have a External HDD like we can now but we have to move the games off of it to play them. It would be interesting if only a portion of the data in each game was saved on the SSD and the rest streamed in from a fast HDD when you start the game. But I guess that ultimately that would undermine the point of the SSD being to give this generational leap so it's probably a good idea they design the consoles

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Also, I didn't realise but watching that Mark Cerny video, they seem to have announced that the SSD has 825 GB of space available.

I think we'll be able to have a External HDD like we can now but we have to move the games off of it to play them. It would be interesting if only a portion of the data in each game was saved on the SSD and the rest streamed in from a fast HDD when you start the game. But I guess that ultimately that would undermine the point of the SSD being to give this generational leap so it's probably a good idea they design the consoles
Cerny mentioned that NVME 4.0 drives can be used but even in high end drives, priority lanes are less so they have to be atleast twice as fast to match up with PS5 SSD.

rcoobc

Cerny mentioned that NVME 4.0 drives can be used but even in high end drives, priority lanes are less so they have to be atleast twice as fast to match up with PS5 SSD.
Yeah I saw that. Why not both?

afrocentricity

Linus Tech Tips did a semi-interesting video on SSDs a few months ago.

tl;dw They had 3 'identical' PCs except one had a PCI Gen 4 SSD, one had an NVME SSD and one had a SATA 3 SSD. No one could tell the difference between what one was actually 'faster'. Actually its more than that, some of those they had looking at the computers swore blind that certain PCs were the fastest or slowest, i.e. that the SATA 3 PC was the fastest or that the Gen-4 was the slowest. I think it's a case of the semi-random bottlenecks in other areas producing slowdowns that made them think that one PC must be the slowest or not.

I don't claim to understand everything Sony are coming out with, with the PS5, but it definitely seems like a paradigm shift

Cheers mate, that Linux guy seems to have changed stance:
The better console will be the one with the better exclusives you bloody nerds :lol:
It's "bloody geeks" get it right motherfecker :nono:

Bojan11

have a look at RDR1 and GTA IV

Or the early gen COD (BO/MW/WAW/MW2)

I think one of the early EA games just (nearly) completely disregarded the CELL.

They all ran better on Xbox. I struggled to play RDR because it was so low res
All Bethesda games were a joke on PS3.

I think saying not seeing any difference is strange considering Xbox 360 won nearly every digital foundry head to head.

Even Gabe called the cell a piece of crap.

rcoobc

All Bethesda games were a joke on PS3.

I think saying not seeing any difference is strange considering Xbox 360 won nearly every digital foundry head to head.

Even Gabe called the cell a piece of crap.
Yep. The only big cross-platform game that I think *maybe* ran better on PS3 was GTA V. It took Rockstar a long time to learn how to write good code for that machien. Even then I'm not sure that the PS3 won that battle, and it's a moot point these days anyway because the best way to play GTA V is either PC or PS4

Bethesda games are a great example of how bad the PS3 was for cross platform games. I got Fallout 3 for Christmas. Played it for 20 mins and decided to "acquire" it for PC instead. The game looked like so much fun but it was so bad on PS3

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
PS5 event on Thursday

Now that the event is confirmed for June 11, I wanted to add that this pre-taped program will be broadcast at 1080p and 30 frames per second. This eased the show’s production process during a time when many of our team and developers are working from home. The games you’ll see on Thursday will look even better when you play them on PS5 with a 4K TV, as you’d expect.

It’s also best if you watch while wearing headphones, if you can — there’s some cool audio work in the show, and it might be harder to appreciate if it’s pumped through your phone or laptop speakers.
Meanwhile Xbox move their June event to August (will still have an event in July, but seemingly nothing confirmed for this month)

Bojan11

PS5 event on Thursday

Meanwhile Xbox move their June event to August (will still have an event in July, but seemingly nothing confirmed for this month)

Greenberg has tweeted saying they still on for July.

Also crazy this week would have been E3 week. What happened to the gaming section @esmufc07?

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
XBox Series X is such a mouthful. Awful name.

Bojan11

Both consoles hype up their BC enhancement programmes.

Yet here we are apparently having to pay for games that are being enhanced. Not a big fan of this. This gen they had the excuse of no BC especially with PS4. But now that is gone.

afrocentricity

Don't buy em, vote with your wallets as they say. Of course they were going to try it on...

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
the PS5 looks like a sea of tacky plastic. Xbox Series X a bin with holes in the lid.

What an age to be alive.....

afrocentricity

I haven't seen my PS4Pro in months (even though I play it regularly).... Probably needs dusting...

Fully Fledged

One of the biggest gains on both consoles will surely be frame rates. They have been stuck around 30 FPS for the last 2 generations of consoles moving up to 60 and above will make games play considerably better.

Bosws87

PC and PS5 there's really no reason to own an xbox unless you don't own/cant afford or aren't keen on having a decent gaming rig.

rcoobc

Both consoles hype up their BC enhancement programmes.

Yet here we are apparently having to pay for games that are being enhanced. Not a big fan of this. This gen they had the excuse of no BC especially with PS4. But now that is gone.
Yeah it's annoying.

C&C remastered, AoE2 HD Edition, Skyrim Special Edition (wait was that free?) This type of thing can be done right.

What's really annoying is GTAV not getting PS4 Pro/XOX versions but now getting a remaster!

rcoobc

PC and PS5 there's really no reason to own an xbox unless you don't own/cant afford or aren't keen on having a decent gaming rig.
There is a couple of reasons.

It's the best way to play the original Red Dead Redemption.

Wait surely there is another reason...

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Why would you pick PS5 and not Xbox

Also how much would you say a decent gaming rig would cost?

Fully Fledged

He's saying you'd buy a PlayStation for the exclusives. All of Xbox games are also on pc. We'll see how much the Xbox Series X costs because getting a PC to compete will cost a hefty bit of cash.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
One of the biggest gains on both consoles will surely be frame rates. They have been stuck around 30 FPS for the last 2 generations of consoles moving up to 60 and above will make games play considerably better.
You wish.
They're more bothered to make things look pretty that concentrate on what people want

Balljy

Because games you can play on Xbox you can also play on PC so you're duplicating with those two. With PS5 they will both play different games.

Yeah, a decent gaming rig costs a lot agreed, but I guess the point is that if you have a PC already the Xbox is not needed.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Because games you can play on Xbox you can also play on PC so you're duplicating with those two. With PS5 they will both play different games.

Yeah, a decent gaming rig costs a lot agreed, but I guess the point is that if you have a PC already the Xbox is not needed.
You could to an extent also argue that if you had a PC and don't mind waiting to play PS exclusives then you don't even need one of them.
Horizon is coming to the PC this summer
Others like Bloodbourne, God of War, Spiderman, Uncharted series, TLoU and probably the rest have or are on PSNOW which can be played on the PC.
How great they can be played through it I'm not sure, but it's still an avenue

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I personally think it’s elitist BS. Beyond graphics what’s the difference between Xbox and PC.

Balljy

Others like Bloodbourne, God of War, Spiderman, Uncharted series, TLoU and probably the rest have or are on PSNOW which can be played on the PC.
Yeah, true I hadn't thought of that although it could be argued you don't ever own them in PSNOW. I'm not sure how good the streaming services are at the moment but in a few years when everyone has latency free connections consoles will be a lot more difficult sell.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I personally think it’s elitist BS. Beyond graphics what’s the difference between Xbox and PC.
Quite a bit.
Better frame rate
Better support
Mods
Better textures, in game depth and so forth
More ability to change settings like FOV etc
Games just seem to work better on PC in general I feel