Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hammerfell

To be fair at least we know some details about the Xbox. Ridiculous that Sony haven't released anything.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool

Some dissent creeping through regarding the Xbox S in the game developer ranks :wenger:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Some dissent creeping through regarding the Xbox S in the game developer ranks :wenger:
I suggested that would be the case earlier and a few posters said it doesn't matter that the S is less powerful, because it's the same as developing for PC's of different power levels.

It's nice to be proven right and you know who you are you incorrect bastards *smugface*

Adamsk7

Thing is, this is nothing new. Consoles have been holding back PCs for years now. Devs have to make games compatible with everything and gone are the days of PC AAA games that might eventually get a lesser port to a console - the base model is now THE model. For cross platform going forward, the Series S is now the base for Xbox, PC and PS5 graphics, which actually makes it staggeringly good value because buying the higher end machine won’t give you much extra other than resolution and possibly some slightly fancier effects.

I would be shocked if the PS5 first party games are not the best looking across all platforms for the next five years because it is literally the only machine that doesn’t have one hand tied behind its back and because I can see less and less Pc exclusive titles going forward.

Leg-End

Surely its a real worry down the line if a developer wants to make a game for X and PS5 only, MIcrosoft won't leave support of the S behind but it sort of pushes them toward a PS5 exclusive. Probably not a likely scenario but it could happen I'm guessing.

Adamsk7

Surely its a real worry down the line if a developer wants to make a game for X and PS5 only, MIcrosoft won't leave support of the S behind but it sort of pushes them toward a PS5 exclusive. Probably not a likely scenario but it could happen I'm guessing.
It’s unlikely due to money. If you’re developing a game, the primary goal is for it to make as much cash as possible which means hitting more platforms. There are very few studios out there that at the top level worry about artistic integrity more than they do making a profit.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
What I'm getting from that, is that the PS5 exclusives have the potential to be much better than any cross platform and xbox exclusive. Basically everything that runs on the xbox will be geared towards the the lower performance machines. However the ps5 exclusives won't have this handicap.

It likely won't mean anything in the first few years, but at the end of the generation it will, or those that get the series s maybe forced to upgrade or be left without new games coming to their system.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
What the hell do people expect for £250? Of course, games are not going to run great on it. In a couple of years, you might start seeing 1080p 30fps games on it. And yes it's more work for Devs. Not all are against the console, either.

It's a console that's £250 and given people the chance to play next gen games for the next 5 years or so.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
They’re going to have to release lesser versions of games for the S, like they do when the PS2 and PS3 were out together for what seemed like a while.

Balljy

What the hell do people expect for £250? Of course, games are not going to run great on it. In a couple of years, you might start seeing 1080p 30fps games on it. And yes it's more work for Devs. Not all are against the console, either.

It's a console that's £250 and given people the chance to play next gen games for the next 5 years or so.
That's a potentially big issue though with development costs as high as they are. If they can just lower the resolution and turn some effects off it'll be worth the hassle but developing separate assets is potentially a huge cost which may not be worth it. Comparing to the PC situation is not really the same as yes, you can turn off shaders and effects but if it still doesn't run acceptably then you need an upgrade or buy a different game. Not every game will run OK on every PC with everything turned off as the assets don't change.

I wonder what the deal is with Microsoft enforcing games to be made on both platforms? If somebody makes a game for PS5 and say to Microsoft it's going to be on the X only or nothing I wonder what they would say. If it's somebody like Rockstar I'm doubtful Microsoft would enforce their rule too heavily.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
@Balljy I can't comment on the work for Devs. I know too little about the subject.

And I would be shocked if a game comes out, in say, the next 4 years that runs on the X and not the S. MS would not allow them to release on the X and not the S. It would be both or nothing. And all major pubs will comply because they need that $.

I suppose it could be different for indies if the S version needs too much work. It might not be worth the effort and time for a small team and they might skip Xbox as a result. Again, though I know so little of game dev that it's difficult to say.

Shark

@NotShark
Hang on, am I missing something. I thought I read yesterday the S was aiming for 1440p at 60fps but I'm reading from some on here now it's ultimately a 1080p machine not capable of running future AAA titles?

Edit: Yeah just read that it's aiming for 1440p at 60hz, so not sure why some on here are saying the games are going to be vastly lesser versions. They'll run at a slightly lower resolution but it's still a big improvement on 1080p and the console itself still packs a punch for people that aren't ready for 4K in terms of investment.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What's the point of buying a non-4k console that's supposed to last 7 years? (3 if there's midgen upgrades again)

Short term purchase or budget purchase? I dunno...

EwanI Ted

Hang on, am I missing something. I thought I read yesterday the S was aiming for 1140p at 60fps but I'm reading from some on here now it's ultimately a 1080p machine not capable of running future AAA titles?

Edit: Yeah just read that it's aiming for 1140p at 60hz, so not sure why some on here are saying the games are going to be vastly lesser versions. They'll run at a slightly lower resolution but it's still a big improvement on 1080p and the console itself still packs a punch for people that aren't ready for full 4K in terms of investment.
Thats what they’re saying, but some devs are apparently doubting it, as per the tweet above. Certainly the marketing implies that the Series S can do everything at 1440p that the Series X can do at 4k.

Shark

@NotShark
Thats what they’re saying, but some devs are apparently doubting it, as per the tweet above. Certainly the marketing implies that the Series S can do everything at 1440p that the Series X can do at 4k.
Oh yeah see that now. I don't know though, can't see Microsoft marketing it as that and then it turning out to be something resemling a current gen machine. That'd be very daft.

Shark

@NotShark
What's the point of buying a non-4k console that's supposed to last 7 years? (3 if there's midgen upgrades again)

Just because it's non 4K doesn't mean it's still not a very capable next gen console. I've both a 1440p and 4K monitor and there's not a whole lot in the difference. Plus 4K TV's are crazy pricey at the moment and the budget ones have refresh rates below 60hz.

Last edited:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Just because it's non 4K doesn't mean it's still not a very capable next gen console. I've both a 1140p and 4K monitor and there's not a whole lot in the difference. Plus 4K TV's are crazy pricey at the moment and the budget ones have refresh rates below 60hz.
Theirs a massive difference
1140p doesn't exist while 4k does!

I'm only picking up on this cause you've said it a few times close together :wenger: 1440p*

afrocentricity

Not everyone can afford to drop $499.
Wait then? It's a budget console and I get it, but how many of you lot area interested? I don't have a 4k TV but I know I'll be getting one in the near future and I'm one of the late ones....

Imagine having to upgrade again in a few years? Better off just getting the X imo...

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Wait then? It's a budget console and I get it, but how many of you lot area interested? I don't have a 4k TV but I know I'll be getting one in the near future and I'm one of the late ones....

Imagine having to upgrade again in a few years? Better off just getting the X imo...
For you, yes it would be better waiting. But for many people they play two games a year and don't care about 4k gaming.

EwanI Ted

For you, yes it would be better waiting. But for many people they play two games a year and don't care about 4k gaming.
Those people don't usually buy next gen consoles on release. People who tend to buy early on do so because it's the latest and greatest. I can't help feel that the Venn diagram between budget conscious gamers happy with lower specs and people keen enough to gamble on a next gen machine is pretty small.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

A lot of people don’t care about 4k. Not sure most games are good enough graphics to make the most of it anyway personally, but competitively it’s all about fps anyway.

Going from the og Xbox one, I’m happy to have 4k, but better graphics and/or fps interests me more.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Those people don't usually buy next gen consoles on release. People who tend to buy early on do so because it's the latest and greatest. I can't help feel that the Venn diagram between budget conscious gamers happy with lower specs and people keen enough to gamble on a next gen machine is pretty small.
I think the $299 price tag is there to entice a certain crowd to jump in early. Whether it works or not, who knows? The Xbox brand is not particularly strong right now, so it may well fail.

afrocentricity

A lot of people don’t care about 4k. Not sure most games are good enough graphics to make the most of it anyway personally, but competitively it’s all about fps anyway.

Going from the og Xbox one, I’m happy to have 4k, but better graphics and/or fps interests me more.
Well I was saying that earlier in the thread and some of y'all were disagreeing. Regardless, people may not care that much right now but in a couple years?

When everyone on PS5 or XBSX are crowing about the new CoD in 4k 60fps and your 1080p set is looking tearfully at you like the unwanted burden it has become...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well I was saying that earlier in the thread and some of y'all were disagreeing. Regardless, people may not care that much right now but in a couple years?

When everyone on PS5 or XBSX are crowing about the new CoD in 4k and your 1080p set is looking tearfully at you like the unwanted burden it has become...
It's well usable in 1440p though. If you're not bothered about the best of the best, it's not like it's gonna become unbearable.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So why pander to that demographic? I think the S is a great idea, but the idea that all games must run on both consoles is stupid.

The SX is going to be majorly held back because of this stupid decision.

Garethw

So does this mean that cross platform games like Fifa are going to be held back on PS5 as well to accommodate the limitations of the S?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So does this mean that cross platform games like Fifa are going to be held back on PS5 as well to accommodate the limitations of the S?
I doubt it, next gen FIFA games were always supported by low-mid range PCs to some capacity. I imagine developers will find techniques to reduce performance for the S, it’s just one system to configure for after all.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
You're way overestimating how much games are going to be 'held back'. For now, it's just a difference in resolution.

Traub

Me. I skipped the last gen due to price and the fact that I only plan a handful of games a year. At the cheaper price with something like gamepass, I can't justify buying the more expensive X/PS5.

Garethw

You're way overestimating how much games are going to be 'held back'. For now, it's just a difference in resolution.
The S has three times less graphical grunt than the SX. That’s a huge bottleneck.