Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Siorac

None of that is anything new though. Well, not until MS came along. I'm not even suggesting innovation is what the console space needs either, just stating thoughts on the Weaste v Cider thing.

As for backwards compatibility, it amazes me how people forget that it's not a new thing and Nintendo were doing it for ages anyway. MS, surprise surprise, have been the main evil in not doing it if people wanted it so badly.

In any case, the remaster business has been good for these guys, so it'll be interesting to see how BC works in this gen.

As for indies, well the lines are VERY blurry as to that scene of late, and once streaming comes more to the fore, I wonder of people will look back and lament what has happened there. Or more likely, not give a shit.
I always forget that Nintendo exists, they have next to no appeal for me :) Backwards compatibility is one of the main reasons why I'll always have a PC for gaming so I obviously don't believe it's a new thing overall but it is for the Xbox and the PS. About fecking time, as I said.

I don't think the remaster business will be hurt: remasters are popular on PC, too, where backwards compatibility has never been a problem. Enhanced graphics and QoL improvements in older games are always welcome.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence. Could you elaborate? Streaming is already mainstream (no pun intended etc.).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Console wars haven't interested me since the Megadrive VS Snes days. I usually buy both. This generation is the first time I skipped Microsoft's console though. Don't really see added value, since both platforms share almost all their games. And the only exclusive's I give two fecks about are on Playstation.

As for the difference in graphics. It's always negligible anyway, who cares.

Havak

Pokemon master
Console wars haven't interested me since the Megadrive VS Snes days. I usually buy both. This generation is the first time I skipped Microsoft's console though. Don't really see added value, since both platforms share almost all their games. And the only exclusive's I give two fecks about are on Playstation.

I think console wars have still been somewhat apparent, but I am sharing your opinion now. Others seem far less accepting of it at the moment and are fixed on console wars, which is fine if that's what floats your boat. But, if you look at the approach of Microsoft, what Google are doing and Ubisoft's opinion of where things are going, 'console wars' either now do not exists or they are simply not won by who sells the most boxes (which seems silly but it's how it is and how it's going to be). It's company vs. company, not console vs. console. They want your money and they're going to try to get it in a variety of ways. The most consistent and profitable way of doing this is subscription services. My opinion of Microsoft is that they don't care if you buy the next Xbox as long as you're buying Live, GamePass, being involved in XCloud etc. This is where they want you and if you buy an Xbox to play it all on then that's just gravy. It wouldn't surprise me if selling more consoles is the least of Microsoft's worries now because eventually, it'll be an option they no longer need to provide (if you can stream their games to most devices).

This next generation might be a console war in some people's eyes and there's an argument for that, but I think the whole concept is already dead. Pointless.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Yeah I used to be engaged in that when I was 15, don't see a point when I'm 30, can afford to and usually will just buy both.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah I used to be engaged in that when I was 15, don't see a point when I'm 30, can afford to and usually will just buy both.
I only bought the PS4 last gen but that was because there were no MS exclusives that interested me. If that changes next gen I can see myself buying both. But the thing about Xbox exclusives is that they usually come out on PC too so I can just use that instead.

Never used to buy Nintendo consoles but the Switch was a no brainer really.

As you say, I don't care anymore now that I have the money to buy them if I want to. I guess it was more important when I could only justify buying one or the other, so you have to convince yourself and others that you made the right decision, or something.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I only bought the PS4 last gen but that was because there were no MS exclusives that interested me. If that changes next gen I can see myself buying both. But the thing about Xbox exclusives is that they usually come out on PC too so I can just use that instead.

Never used to buy Nintendo consoles but the Switch was a no brainer really.

As you say, I don't care anymore now that I have the money to buy them if I want to. I guess it was more important when I could only justify buying one or the other, so you have to convince yourself and others that you made the right decision, or something.
Exactly.

I have Xbox One but I got it as a present, and to be fair it's acting as a Forza Horizon machine for me. PS4 Pro I use 80% of time, 15% to Switch (mostly on the go) and 5% to Xbox.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I used to think that console warring was the domain of the young and those without the disposable income to buy multiple consoles/devices, but it isn't.... I've seen guys my age and older than me knee deep in it.

Whether it's Sony, Apple, Nintendo, Google.... Cest la vie.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I used to think that console warring was the domain of the young and those without the disposable income to buy multiple consoles/devices, but it isn't.... I've seen guys my age and older than me knee deep in it.

Yeah, they're just multi-billion dollar corporations who want your money. I don't give a feck who makes what as long as I've felt I spent my money the best possible way.

Apple fanbois are definitely the worst though.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

It used to be a young people thing but then those young people got older and stuck to their hobby.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Sega vs Nintendo was a life-changing decision back in the day.

Now it's far less interesting. With a PC, the Xbox is redundant. And I'll buy whatever Nintendo makes regardless.

Bojan11

Sega vs Nintendo was a life-changing decision back in the day.

Now it's far less interesting. With a PC, the Xbox is redundant. And I'll buy whatever Nintendo makes regardless.
That’s the thing. Even Spencer is saying he just wants Xbox to be a service. He doesn’t care how many consoles he is selling or if Xbox is redundant. As long as they can offer services to everyone. They’d always have a physical box as long as there is a decent demand for it. But their long term plan is probably competing with Google rather than Sony.

Regarding the gameinformer tweet. The above guy worked at MS for years before moving to Amazon last year.

hobbers

PS5 has better exclusives, and every Xbox game is also on Windows 10..

Xbox consoles are pretty redundant if you have a decent gaming PC.

Castia

PS5 has better exclusives, and every Xbox game is also on Windows 10..

Xbox consoles are pretty redundant if you have a decent gaming PC.
Not really

I’m a PC gamer but I also have a One X they complement each other really well with their play anywhere titles and Gamepass.

If I had a PS4 I’d buy the years exclusives and nothing else leaving it unused for 10 months of the year.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Which is why I'm not as opposed to it all as someone like Weaste.

However, it does breed laziness and rushed, bugged releases and publishers can force even stricter deadlines. Also consoles do hold back the growth of technology on some ways.

But as a programmer, they are easier to work with. Though some sinisterly pain driven part of me misses having to properly learn how to use new machines and the joy of doing something nobody else has thought of. So I'm on the fence about the pros and cons.

But like I say, it's fair for the vast majority to not give a feck. They just want shinier graphics and hopefully bigger and better games. And I'm cool with that, I just hope upon hope we get some kind of AI/physics leap this gen.

Yeah I saw him on Facebook and then he vanished. He was properly worrying.

You probably know more about it then me, but surely from a performance and coding perspective, it's in the best interests of the console manufacturers to have them created in such a way that there alot of cross sharing of data on the platforms otherwise the costs go through the roof for creating cross platform games.

Siorac

Yeah, they're just multi-billion dollar corporations who want your money. I don't give a feck who makes what as long as I've felt I spent my money the best possible way.

Apple fanbois are definitely the worst though.
Truth.

They are more insufferable than Arsenal fans were when they used to be good.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Can only imagine the exclusives will be better on the PS5, but we all thought that with the PS3 and 360.

hobbers

I'll buy a PS5 and I won't be buying a Scarlett.

Why buy a Scarlett when all the games are going to be on Windows 10 anyway?

Forgot I'd already posted this already. :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Can only imagine the exclusives will be better on the PS5, but we all thought that with the PS3 and 360.
It might be my old fanboy brain from back in the day but the 360 had, what, Halo, Gears, Dead Rising and maybe Forza? PS3 had Uncharted, GoW, LBP, MGS4. Seemed pretty level to me back then.

It was also back in the day when I could afford both consoles. Good times :drool:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It might be my old fanboy brain from back in the day but the 360 had, what, Halo, Gears, Dead Rising and maybe Forza? PS3 had Uncharted, GoW, LBP, MGS4. Seemed pretty level to me back then.

It was also back in the day when I could afford both consoles. Good times :drool:
Took a while to get them but the PS3 had many great exclusives, the 360 not so much.
But that was it, it took a while to get them, and by that point a lot of people had already jumped ship. I distinctly remember ridge Racer being one of their biggest games at launch.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'll get one if the games are going to be worth it, and the hardware is equal to or better than the ps5. Guess it's a case of waiting for the games news next year.
If you have a good PC it's not worth it, but if not, GamePass should make it worth buying,

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'll likely get a ps5 due to backward support for ps4 games. My ps4 Pro is doing the job but better is better. I would consider getting a scarlet too if it had great exclusive rpgs I felt a need to play, but as all Microsoft exclusives will come to pc (as I understand it), I won't need the scarlet. Hope both are great though.

Last edited:

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
If you have a good PC it's not worth it, but if not, GamePass should make it worth buying,
I was going to get a decent PC but I don't have the time to devote to playing loads, so it's not worth the large outlay really. Also as you say, the GamePass thing looks really good. Hope they are both awesome tbh, and it's the games that matter anyway.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Can’t be arsed with gimps comparing the slightest difference with the graphics. They’re literally always basically the same. Main difference is exclusives.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Can’t be arsed with gimps comparing the slightest difference with the graphics. They’re literally always basically the same. Main difference is exclusives.
This, it’s honestly barely noticeable to be honest.

I’ll end up with the PS5 as I love their exclusives.

Bojan11

GTA6 being exclusive/coming first on the PS5 will seal the deal for me.
That’s never going to happen, so you gonna have find another way to seal the deal.

There’s literally no incentive for Rockstar to do and Sony could fund two games with the money Rockstar would want. As you not just including game sales missed at launch, but also GTA online cashcards which sell like hot cakes on both consoles.