Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bojan11

How long do you reckon we have to wait for PS5 news?
Depends. Sony pulled out of GDC because of corona virus. So would be shitty of them to do conference in March after pulling out of that the same month.

They could also just share the news via state of play or just do what they did last year and release another article.

They did earlier this month say that they were awaiting their competitors price before deciding their own price for PS5.

But hey who knows maybe MS got wind of Sony were about to drop info this week and just decided to do theirs now. I’m sure the mine craft team probably have PS5 devkits by now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The thing is for me, if all X box games are available on PC, why would you bother spending a good fortune on it and not just get a better PC anyway?

At least with PS games being locked you have a reason to own one.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The thing is for me, if all X box games are available on PC, why would you bother spending a good fortune on it and not just get a better PC anyway?

Because most people who buy consoles don't also game on PC, and because consoles are (generally) cheaper than a PC (I know you can build good "budget" PC's now but when you factor in the cost of the monitor, speakers, peripherals etc. it's still quite a bit more). As someone with a gaming PC myself, I'd never even consider an Xbox, but we make up a relatively small percentage of overall gamers.

Besides, MS don't really care whether you buy their console or play on PC. It's a win win for them either way.

Ainu

XBox SeX specs

Now for PS5 specs....
It'll be very similar, a couple of those specs have been confirmed for PS5 as well. Zen 2 architecture, hardware accelerated ray-tracing and a custom SSD solution were confirmed by Mark Cerny. As for the GPU, it's a Navi chip as well but whether it's RDNA architecture or RDNA 2 hasn't been confirmed. The hardware accelerated ray-tracing would suggest RDNA 2, like Xbox, since it doesn't exist on RDNA architecture, but we'll have to wait and see.

If you don't already own a gaming pc, it's not exactly equivalent in terms of price. The max price for the Xbox is surely €600 (or whatever equivalent in gbp). On paper it beats an RTX 2080 Super in raw power, which is around €700+, and that's only the GPU. The situation will be a little different by the time it launches, but still, a complete gaming pc to match those specs will still cost significantly more. I get what you're saying though, I already have a very capable gaming pc so I'll be able to play all of their upcoming first party titles anyway, there's no reason for me to buy the Series X.

Last edited:

D4X73r

I was a PC gamer before but regarding the budget, I switched to the xbox one as it was much cheaper than upgrading the PC again and again. No I have the xbox one since 2015 and it still works with the latest games and the only thing I "upgraded" was the storage with an external 2TB USB 3.0 harddrive. I didn't even bother to check PC hardware prices during that time, so maybe you could tell me how much you needed to spend to upgrade your gaming PC to be able to perform new games in the same time?

As I wouldn't consider myself a real gamer anymore but more a person, who occasionally plays games, that's the best way for me for gaming anytime I want and the games I want without overthinking my PC specs.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Well I agree that has been the case in the past for certain games, but if the new game studios that Microsoft have now got, I think they have about 15? and they live up to the potential, then they could be pretty even within a few years. My mate who has worked in the industry for years said that it wouldn't happen overnight, but that its a very promising situation for xbox games.

It's good for us that there will be (hopefully) more competition, as it will bring better games and more innovation. If xbox has games that are on parity, or close with sony, then to be honest it seems a more attractive place to be with better services and back compat etc.

Watch Sony now break the tinternet as they drop details tomorrow that they've got a 12.1 floppy terror fapp, 2 litre injection console coming out for £350...
That obviously isn't an impossibility, but it's also making a lot of assumptions. In my opinion, they have a long way to go until they get anywhere near parity in that aspect. Just going by their recent history, i'm not that confident. But we will see. What they have got going for them is Game Pass, which is better than anything Sony is currently offering. I think PlayStation Now is a lot better than it was, but it's nowhere near as good as Game Pass, and considering that's the direction where gaming is seemingly going (subscription based), then Microsoft have a big advantage there.

In terms of backwards compatibility, Microsoft come out on top at the moment but Sony may announce something when they drop more info on the PS5. There were rumours of PS1, PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility (which i can't see happening), but that hasn't been confirmed by Sony. If that was the case, then that would easily trump anything Xbox is offering in that department.

I do agree though, generally this can only be a good thing for the consumers.

Massive Spanner

PS3 backwards compatibility would be a nightmare for Sony. I'd say they'll do PS4, though, given that the PS5 will use the same architecture it shouldn't be too difficult.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
PS3 backwards compatibility would be a nightmare for Sony. I'd say they'll do PS4, though, given that the PS5 will use the same architecture it shouldn't be too difficult.
I think PS4 backwards compatibility has been confirmed. They simply had to make that happen, be crazy if they didn't. And yeah, i can't see PS3 backwards compatibility either. Be great if they did though.

hobbers

I expect they'll be broadly the same as far as specs and price go.

Will go with the PS5 for the better exclusives, same as with this generation. Also will be about the time I buy a new gaming PC anyway so if they do release a half decent Forza I'll be fine.

afrocentricity

I'm kinda leaning that way as I want to get into PCVR and play the new Half Life, but that could all change... Waiting on this PS5 news (and more Xbox news) to decide where my money goes...

I think PS4 backwards compatibility has been confirmed. They simply had to make that happen, be crazy if they didn't. And yeah, i can't see PS3 backwards compatibility either. Be great if they did though.
I remember reading somewhere that they kinda need to have PS3 compatibility so they can get rid of all their PS3s (for PlayStation Now) and replace them with PS5s (for streaming/servers). Dunno how legit that is...

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I remember reading somewhere that they kinda need to have PS3 compatibility so they can get rid of all their PS3s (for PlayStation Now) and replace them with PS5s (for streaming/servers). Dunno how legit that is...
I would love that to be the case. Imagine having PS1, PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility. That would be amazing.

Bojan11

It would be amazing. But the new consoles you want to play some shiny new games. It looks like from the Xbox side the first year the exclusives will be on both one and series X.

Ubisoft also seem to be supporters of this forward compatibility. Sony are already releasing two big exclusives for PS4 this year. Not sure how many exclusives they will have in the first year.

I think the first year will be slower than normal console launches. Developers ain’t going to just abandon a console that has nearly 100 million users in the PS4. I see forward compatibility being the big phrase of the conferences. Last gen it was different because both consoles used different architectures to their previous consoles, so there was not any BC. And Sony wanted to abandon the PS3 fast because it cost a lot to manufacture and it had free online.

Adamsk7

It would be amazing. But the new consoles you want to play some shiny new games. It looks like from the Xbox side the first year the exclusives will be on both one and series X.

Ubisoft also seem to be supporters of this forward compatibility. Sony are already releasing two big exclusives for PS4 this year. Not sure how many exclusives they will have in the first year.

I think the first year will be slower than normal console launches. Developers ain’t going to just abandon a console that has nearly 100 million users in the PS4. I see forward compatibility being the big phrase of the conferences. Last gen it was different because both consoles used different architectures to their previous consoles, so there was not any BC. And Sony wanted to abandon the PS3 fast because it cost a lot to manufacture and it had free online.
Hmm part of me thinks they will do that (easy to scale graphics depending on the console the disc is in) but I have a feeling they will still want to draw a line in the sand and say “these are Xbox Series X and PS5 titles” so the public doesn’t get confused. There needs to be that clear consumer message of “you need one of these consoles to play this game” otherwise they won’t sell.

afrocentricity

Well there's a big difference between this gens consoles and the next one's (especially the CPU/SSD) so I'm sure once people get to compare games on PS4/XB1 to games on PS5/XBSX that'll be enough to convince most. Maybe not straight away mind...

Massive Spanner

People still on the regular PS4 will probably buy the PS5 for the 4k functionality with current gen games alone, but I imagine it'll be more difficult to convince PS4 Pro owners to do it until there are good exclusives out.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian

To be fair, you can play quite a lot of PS exclusives on the PC now.
Not to the extent of the xbox, but with PS NOW, you can currently play Horizon, Uncharted and I know God of War, The last of us was on there. It's more drip fed than gamespass, but if you don't need to play the games right away, a PC gives you access to both

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm kinda leaning that way as I want to get into PCVR and play the new Half Life, but that could all change... Waiting on this PS5 news (and more Xbox news) to decide where my money goes...

Wait, they actually have physical PS3s running those games?

Adam-Utd

To be fair, you can play quite a lot of PS exclusives on the PC now.
Not to the extent of the xbox, but with PS NOW, you can currently play Horizon, Uncharted and I know God of War, The last of us was on there. It's more drip fed than gamespass, but if you don't need to play the games right away, a PC gives you access to both
Is that right? I'd never heard of that before. I bet GOW and Horizon look insane on PC.

Bojan11

Is that right? I'd never heard of that before. I bet GOW and Horizon look insane on PC.
Yeah if you want input lag.

Kotaku said Horizon is coming to PC last month, so will have to wait and see on that one.

Skills

Snitch

I never really get throwing PCs in with consoles. The vast majority of console gamers play to relax - that includes sitting on a couch, play on a big screen and also have the option to play socially with your friends. A PC set up doesn't offer that. The keyboard/mouse for instance can't beat a controller for couch comfort.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I never really get throwing PCs in with consoles. The vast majority of console gamers play to relax - that includes sitting on a couch, play on a big screen and also have the option to play socially with your friends. A PC set up doesn't offer that. The keyboard/mouse for instance can't beat a controller for couch comfort.
It depends how you look at it though.
I guess a lot of console gamers are casual, but I also think there is a lot if misinformation about PC gaming, which results in many people thinking console is the best option, when in a lot of cases isn't really true. I was one of them people until a few years ago, and I regret not doing it a long time ago.
And if you want to chill on a couch and play with a controller, you do have the option for it

afrocentricity

It depends how you look at it though.
I guess a lot of console gamers are casual, but I also think there is a lot if misinformation about PC gaming, which results in many people thinking console is the best option, when in a lot of cases isn't really true. I was one of them people until a few years ago, and I regret not doing it a long time ago.
And if you want to chill on a couch and play with a controller, you do have the option for it
aLL DeM dRivERs and BsODs tHO!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
aLL DeM dRivERs and BsODs tHO!
:lol:
One of my friends moved over to the PC with me, and although he still uses his xbox more. (when he does use the PC, he still plays with a controller)
His big complaint. Sick of updating steam every day and the fact that he prefers the easiness of the controller operating everything, whereas with a PC, he actually has to do 5 or 6 clicks with a mouse.

Amazes me. Admits every game he plays (PUBG, Apex, FO76, Forza etc) runs way better on the pc, yet that isn't enough to convince him.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm going to take the money I saved for a Plox 5 and spend it on a new motherboard, CPU and GPU just to keep on playing Crusader Kings and whenever Halo comes out. Then in three years time I'll get the Plestayshun Foive and play all those nice first party games that will have stacked up.

I know nobody gives a feck but my mum thinks I'm cool.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol:
One of my friends moved over to the PC with me, and although he still uses his xbox more. (when he does use the PC, he still plays with a controller)
His big complaint. Sick of updating steam every day and the fact that he prefers the easiness of the controller operating everything, whereas with a PC, he actually has to do 5 or 6 clicks with a mouse.

Amazes me. Admits every game he plays (PUBG, Apex, FO76, Forza etc) runs way better on the pc, yet that isn't enough to convince him.
There's actually something in the config that you can delete that stops it, as it's a bug. I can never be arsed doing it myself though. Why waste twenty seconds right now when I can waste a minute every day until the end of time?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
There's actually something in the config that you can delete that stops it, as it's a bug. I can never be arsed doing it myself though. Why waste twenty seconds right now when I can waste a minute every day until the end of time?
Really? That's interesting.
Although like you, that 20 seconds now can be used righting a pointless post like this, and I'll happily let it do it's 'thing' every time I log on

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
That obviously isn't an impossibility, but it's also making a lot of assumptions. In my opinion, they have a long way to go until they get anywhere near parity in that aspect. Just going by their recent history, i'm not that confident. But we will see. What they have got going for them is Game Pass, which is better than anything Sony is currently offering. I think PlayStation Now is a lot better than it was, but it's nowhere near as good as Game Pass, and considering that's the direction where gaming is seemingly going (subscription based), then Microsoft have a big advantage there.

In terms of backwards compatibility, Microsoft come out on top at the moment but Sony may announce something when they drop more info on the PS5. There were rumours of PS1, PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility (which i can't see happening), but that hasn't been confirmed by Sony. If that was the case, then that would easily trump anything Xbox is offering in that department.

I do agree though, generally this can only be a good thing for the consumers.
Yeah I agree, and it will be interesting to see the full offerings from both companies as the year goes on.

Exciting times.

Bojan11

@Damien can we unban weaste and ciderman for a few hours tomorrow? This thread won’t be as good as last time without them.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Even they couldn't muster up that genius again :lol:

Unless we get the Kinect 3.0 announcement Alock must surely want! Imagine motion capturing yourself in a game, but this time for real...we promise!
Kinect 3 would probably make a killing the next few months. I bet those Facebook Portal devices will do great.