Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
100% on my end.

Xbox's first party games don't really interest me on the whole but there definitely will be a fair bit of output from the studios which will be good for the players. Only 'problem' seems to be the output is mostly a year or two out and the Halo delay doesn't really help in the meantime but in 2022 onwards once the new studios and existing studios have the games finished, there'll be enough to release a first party game on Game Pass every quarter which is great value.
Maybe they'll win you over. The output is going to look a lot different. There's lots of variation here and something for everybody.

Only thing really missing outside of Tango (or whatever that Japanese Bethesda studio is) is JRPGs or similar.

More to come.

Shark

@NotShark
In fairness it could be achieved current gen, it just wouldn't look nearly as good and smooth and there would obviously be a bigger delay before being transported. Definitely achievable technically though.

That looks amazing though can't wait to play it!

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
In fairness it could be achieved current gen, it just wouldn't look nearly as good and smooth and there would obviously be a bigger delay before being transported. Definitely achievable technically though.
If it's just a linear game where the portal is predetermined it'd be easy as feck. If dynamic and variable to whatever the user chooses obviously tougher but agree, achievable.

If they'd wanted to make it on PS4 they could have. I don't believe it's any more 'next gen' than Spiderman/gears/horizon etc.

Doesn't mean it isn't impressive

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we're going down that road you could say 4K60 was possible this Gen... Or quick loading and quick resume, or anything else these new consoles can do.

Let's be honest, you have never seen anything like it in practice on this gen consoles or the majority of PCs (Inc high spec). Poor arguement 2/10...

Shark

@NotShark
If we're going down that road you could say 4K60 was possible this Gen... Or quick loading and quick resume, or anything else these new consoles can do.

Let's be honest, you have never seen anything like it in practice on this gen consoles or the majority of PCs (Inc high spec). Poor arguement 2/10...
Wait, what :lol:

afrocentricity

Wait, what :lol:
Examples? Then I'll shut up... How many PCs do you think are rocking a comparable SSD and I/O configuration? What percentage of the top range (let alone entire range) do you think they account for?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Maybe they'll win you over. The output is going to look a lot different. There's lots of variation here and something for everybody.

Only thing really missing outside of Tango (or whatever that Japanese Bethesda studio is) is JRPGs or similar.

More to come.
Maybe. The ZeniMax buyout doesn't really affect me as much as it does others as the only games I've "played" are:
Skyrim (like five minutes on VR)
Elder Scrolls Online
Fallout 4

ESO will still be on PlayStation (not that I've played it in years), and Fallout 4 was a buggy mess so I've not been as invested in their franchises as others have. Will try to play more of Skyrim one day but the wires are a faff.

Shark

@NotShark
Examples then I'll shut up... How many PCs do you think are rocking a comparable SSD and I/O configuration? What percentage of the top range (let alone entire range) do you think they account for?
SSD's have been around for yonks, you could pick up any mid range gaming laptop with an incredible SSD, never mind a PC.

Bojan11

Maybe. The ZeniMax buyout doesn't really affect me as much as it does others as the only games I've "played" are:
Elder Scrolls Online
Fallout 4

ESO will still be on PlayStation (not that I've played it in years), and Fallout 4 was a buggy mess so I've not been as invested in their franchises as others have. Will try to play more of Skyrim one day but the wires are a faff.
You not played Doom, Wolfenstein, evil within, prey or dishonoured?

afrocentricity

SSD's have been around for yonks, you could pick up any mid range gaming laptop with an incredible SSD, never mind a PC.
Erm....

It's not the same thing.

Elder Scrolls Online
Fallout 4

ESO, good times....

Bosws87

The minimal amount of pop in would be the only major "next gen" thing in the ratchet clip and that's solved by just using any half decent SSD.

afrocentricity

The minimal amount of pop in would be the only major "next gen" thing in the ratchet clip and that's solved by just using any half decent SSD.
Well you'd be stuck there in mid air for the greater part of a minute twiddling your fingers waiting for the next world to load in, repeatedly, for as long as this section lasts.... Sure I guess it's possible, sounds fun.

It's ok to admit it's good tech, for both consoles...

Bosws87

Well you'd be stuck there in mid air for the greater part of a minute twiddling your fingers waiting for the next world to load in, repeatedly, for as long as this section lasts.... Sure I guess it's possible, sounds fun.

It's ok to admit it's good tech, for both consoles...
Have you even used an SSD before the loading is already nearly instant :lol:

Bosws87

Ok go get me some footage then?
I can't believe we are arguing this have you tried turning on a PC with a standard mechanical HDD which consoles use now and a PC with a standard SSD drive.

Night and day.

The playstation is going to be faster i know that, but its gonna be a small difference you know like graphics now tiny incremental increases.

Shark

@NotShark
There's no doubt the architecture behind PS5's SSD looks to be pretty outstanding but his argument is that SSD's built into PC's and gaming laptops for many years now wouldn't be capable of handling what's on show at the moment on next get consoles. That's obviously bullshit. They're new to consoles and that's absolutely brilliant but let's get real here in regards to that argument.

afrocentricity

There's no doubt the architecture behind PS5's SSD looks to be pretty outstanding but his argument is that SSD's built into PC's and gaming laptops for many years now wouldn't be capable of handling what's on show at the moment on next get consoles. That's obviously bullshit. They're new to consoles and that's absolutely brilliant but let's get real here in regards to that argument.
You're not getting it. It's not the fact that it's an SSD. It's the fact that it's an incredibly fast SSD paired with an incredibly efficient I/O configuration. Allowing the type of gameplay and fidelity shown in the Rachet clip. Look it up there loads of videos and articles at this point....

I can't believe we are arguing this have you tried turning on a PC with a standard mechanical HDD which consoles use now and a PC with a standard SSD drive.

Night and day.
Get me some footage of comparable gameplay on PC. If/when you're successful I'll point out that the majority of PCs are mid to low spec and remind you that the cutting edge is just that, the fringe.*

So just like you, I'm wondering why we are talking about this. I thought this was done to death when we were comparing the console SSD speeds.

*I wrote that to save you the time of actually going to look at comparable footage, you're welcome.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
You're not getting it. It's not the fact that it's an SSD. It's the fact that it's an incredibly fast SSD paired with an incredibly efficient I/O configuration. Allowing the type of gameplay and fidelity shown in the Rachet clip. Look it up there loads of videos and articles at this point...
Still think you're wumming :lol:

The PS5's SSD as I said is incredible bit what's on show at the moment, as you say in that Rachet clip is nothing a mid range PC or gaming laptop with a Samsung EVO or similar and mid range GPU couldn't handle. Maybe down the line it'll prove otherwise but in terms of what's on show at the moment you're simply wrong.

afrocentricity

Still think you're wumming :lol:

The PS5's SSD as I said is incredible bit what's on show at the moment, as you say in that Rachet clip is nothing a mid range PC or gaming laptop with a Samsung EVO or similar and mid range GPU couldn't handle. Maybe down the line it'll prove otherwise but in terms of what's on show at the moment you're simply wrong.
So, like I said to the other guy. Show me don't tell me...