Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Unreal Engine Tech Demo on PS5 guess what its multiplatform engine that will run on all 3 platforms at a very similar level.

I also believe the ending of the tech demo is very similar to said gif above.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/unreal-engine-5-tech-demo-pc-performance/
Your proof is a PS5 Demo? You ever wonder why they used the PS5 to demo it?

Regarding loading and streaming, though, Sweeney says that the PlayStation 5's SSD architecture is "god-tier" and "pretty far ahead of PCs," but that you should still get "awesome performance" with an NVMe SSD...
Why oh why is this proving hard for y'all accept?

Bosws87

Your proof is a PS5 Demo? You ever wonder why they used the PS5 to demo it?

Why oh why is this proving hard for y'all accept?
I've just provided solid proof its possible and we have all agreed the ps5 is a faster drive, what part of currently there is not a single bit of evidence of any of this speed being put to use so far can you not comprehend.

I have at no point said 3 years down the line it may do something which isn't possible on a standard SSD drive.

afrocentricity

I've just provided solid proof its possible and we have all agreed the ps5 is faster drive, what part of currently there is not a single bit of evidence of any of this speed being put to use so far can you not comprehend.
You just showed me fast loading on a PS5 when I asked you to show me fast loading comparable to R&C on a standard PC... Yet I'm the one struggling to comprehend? Y'all are on a wind up, which is fair, this is the versus thread, but come on...

All of this will become widespread on PC (thanks to consoles tbh), but it's not right now and I'm tired of pointing it out so.... peace!
I'm with you on this bit, everyone is going on like it has no load time at all, but it's been clear from day 1 that's exactly what that screen is. Still very impressive due to the fast load time though. Just hate when people completely ignore the obvious so something sounds better.
You're splitting hairs... You know what I'm saying wrt XBsX|S and PS5 SSDs versus your standard SSD and HDD. And games being designed around that fact.

afrocentricity

I don't tbh, haven't really followed the convo but that had been an annoyance of mine since it's first showing :lol:
Yea I get it, but what they showed is a great teaser right at the start of the gen. It's a tough crowd in here I don't know what some of y'all are expecting.

XBox SSD is fire too, I hope they both use em to show us new gameplay rather than same old same. High fidelity Wipeout, dense open worlds other shit that we haven't even dreamt up yet. Can't wait... Gonna be dope for VR too.

Xbox is for dweebs.
Great post.

Amarsdd

I'm leaning towards getting PS5 over Xbox Series X, what do you guys think? LOL
Or should I just get a mid-range PC with an SSD, cause it's sounds the same as these next gen consoles? big LOL

Shark

@NotShark
Or should I just get a mid-range PC with an SSD, cause it's sounds the same as these next gen consoles? big LOL
Depends what you want to play really? Go with PC and you have an almost unlimited choice of games on Steam from the off, plus mods. Although depending on how much you're willing to spend you may just be limited to 1080p gaming at mid range, but at a high frame rate. Going full 4K on PC will cost a fair amount. Go with PS5 and you'll have access to amazing exclusives, 4K gaming at a lower cost and a monster SSD also for that price. You can't really go wrong with either. Including the Xbox SX when you look at some of the big name studios Microsoft have tied down.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I'd go for PC. I did that last gen with no regrets. Getting a Series S this time for a more recreational TV machine.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
My PC-Console project is the best project I've ever done.

Turn PC on -> Launches straight into Playnite.

PS1 / PS2 / N64 / GC / Wii and even some Wii U games plus PC games at a button press of my controller

Plus Minecraft with mods. Plus whatever you want.

But it's a companion to a console. PS4 is still daily driver.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm with you on this bit, everyone is going on like it has no load time at all, but it's been clear from day 1 that's exactly what that screen is. Still very impressive due to the fast load time though. Just hate when people completely ignore the obvious so something sounds better.
Yeah definitely not denying it's impressive. Despite all of this debating about SSD's I'm very looking forward to playing this :lol:

Amarsdd

Depends what you want to play really? Go with PC and you have an almost unlimited choice of games on Steam from the off, plus mods. Although depending on how much you're willing to spend you may just be limited to 1080p gaming at mid range, but at a high frame rate. Going full 4K on PC will cost a fair amount. Go with PS5 and you'll have access to amazing exclusives, 4K gaming at a lower cost and a monster SSD also for that price. You can't really go wrong with either. Including the Xbox SX when you look at some of the big name studios Microsoft have tied down.
I'd go for PC. I did that last gen with no regrets. Getting a Series S this time for a more recreational TV machine.
My PC-Console project is the best project I've ever done.

Turn PC on -> Launches straight into Playnite.

PS1 / PS2 / N64 / GC / Wii and even some Wii U games plus PC games at a button press of my controller

Plus Minecraft with mods. Plus whatever you want.

But it's a companion to a console. PS4 is still daily driver.
Ok, thanks for the suggestions but wasn't really expecting serious answers. Was just trying to stir some shit based on the state of this thread in the last week or so. I'm slightly disappointed no one caught it though.
Anyway, I've always been towards getting PS5 as no games except Gears of War interests me in Xbox and haven't been even a bit of a hardcore gamer for at least half a decade now to deal with PC gaming.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know nothing about the details but I'd really like it if the xbox was better this gen.

PS3 and PS4 were the best of their generation so I'd like the xbox to take this generation to an upper level like Microsoft did with the original xbox all those years ago.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It's no different than using a fecking rift/portal on Fortnite.

Or playing the game Portal on the Xbox 360. Or toggling between dimensions on Titanfall.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

It's no different than using a fecking rift/portal on Fortnite.

Or playing the game Portal on the Xbox 360. Or toggling between dimensions on Titanfall.
It's different because it's a new map/environment. Try harder...

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It's different because it's a new map/environment. Try harder...
Is it dynamic or pre determined by the story? Obviously the grapple ones are dynamic but same map/area.

If just the next step on the linear story then there's multiple clever ways they could have hidden the loading

The point from me at the start wasn't that this isn't impressive or that the next gen console isn't making enabling something to be mmore accessible and seamless. The point was that there'll be multiple games at launch and near that are optimized for next gen but have last gen ports and are just as impressive technically on the new consoles. It'll be a year or two before we really start seeing games taking step ups that go beyond that.

Bosws87

Is it dynamic or pre determined by the story? Obviously the grapple ones are dynamic but same map/area.

If just the next step on the linear story then there's multiple clever ways they could have hidden the loading

The point from me at the start wasn't that this isn't impressive or that the next gen console isn't making enabling something to be mmore accessible and seamless. The point was that there'll be multiple games at launch and near that are optimized for next gen but have last gen ports and are just as impressive technically on the new consoles. It'll be a year or two before we really start seeing games taking step ups that go beyond that.
I’ve already tried down this route it’s like talking to a brick wall! Consoles are bringing this tech to pc’s not the opposite way round :lol:

I gave up

afrocentricity

Must admit it's hilarious watching y'all tie yourself in knots trying to downplay this...

Bosws87

Have any of the console developers, gone down or in the process of developing a Nvidia DLSS equivalent would be an absolute game changer for the amount of visuals they could push?

Would be huge on something like the S if it could push out 4k image quality at a lower internal resolution?

Castia

Sony will sell the most and continue to do amazing exclusives

Xbox whilst selling fewer will get widespread acclaim for the consoles performance and features.

It’s gonna be real interesting in 2 years or so when they start rolling out exclusives, I think the Xbox is just going to get better and better.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
When you get past the hyperbolic responses, there are some interesting points in the thread below about walled gardens, digital distribution and visibility for games on storefronts.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...ff-on-other-platforms-see-threadmarks.307768/
That's weirdly interesting because I was looking at the game last night and saw it's on sale for everything but PS4 (main console atm). Made me wonder why...

There's quite a few tweets suggesting that indie devs don't make much money on PSN compared to other consoles. I've made a few points on here before about Sony and indies as I've noticed a little imbalance. They did a really strong job early on in the generation by pushing games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture/What Remains of Edith Finch/Bound but they seemed to lose all interest right around 2017. The only plus I've seen is that The Missing (which is a great game btw) was cheaper on PSN than any other store at release (perhaps because it's Japanese?).

Last edited:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
You have to say Xbox have really knocked it out the park so far. Phil Spencer has done an incredible job slowly turning the Xbox ship around.

There are only two downsides or miss-steps in the launch line up so far that I can think of. The halo trailers and reveal etc was obviously really poor, and you need a kick-ass halo game to sell the system.

Also, the Series S not having a disc drive I think could be a mistake. Xbox families have got 3 generations of Xbox discs, and to be told they can't play those without the Series X might be a bit galling.

Not that the PS5 is in a better situation there, but it's a little more obvious there is a PS5 and a PS5 digital edition. It makes sense.

But I'd be really tempted to pick up a Series S at some point - if it had a disc drive. Which it doesn't.

They are great consoles though. Hopefully we see a lot more 'exclusive" titles coming to each others system.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You have to say Xbox have really knocked it out the park so far. Phil Spencer has done an incredible job slowly turning the Xbox ship around.

There are only two downsides or miss-steps in the launch line up so far that I can think of. The halo trailers and reveal etc was obviously really poor, and you need a kick-ass halo game to sell the system.

Also, the Series S not having a disc drive I think could be a mistake. Xbox families have got 3 generations of Xbox discs, and to be told they can't play those without the Series X might be a bit galling.

Not that the PS5 is in a better situation there, but it's a little more obvious there is a PS5 and a PS5 digital edition. It makes sense.

But I'd be really tempted to pick up a Series S at some point - if it had a disc drive. Which it doesn't.

The great consoles though. Hopefully we see a lot more 'exclusive" titles coming to each others system.
Agreed and to be honest the only reason to pick up the S is for Game Pass, which is personally what I'm doing.

I'm not even sure I'll buy Cyberpunk for the S, might just buy it on PS4 (disc).

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Sony will sell the most and continue to do amazing exclusives

Xbox whilst selling fewer will get widespread acclaim for the consoles performance and features.

It’s gonna be real interesting in 2 years or so when they start rolling out exclusives, I think the Xbox is just going to get better and better.
Nailed it really.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I bet a higher percentage of PS5 users own an Xbox than the other way around, by the time this generation is done.