Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Someone who has the PS5 or XBOX Series S.

Does it really 'Wow' you this generation?

I've always craved the next generation as soon as it came but I dont know why I'm not all that impressed this time around. I wonder if that is just me getting older and less enjoying video games or something else.

Has it actually felt like a next generation console where you felt like your previous generation was completely irrelevant?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

I've always craved the next generation as soon as it came but I dont know why I'm not all that impressed this time around. I wonder if that is just me getting older and less enjoying video games or something else.

Has it actually felt like a next generation console where you felt like your previous generation was completely irrelevant?
Even when the PS3 came out which was a revolution Vs the PS2, the best games were still on PS2 for at least a year.

Evern when the PS2 came out, which was a revolution Vs the PS1, the best games were still on PS1 for at least a year.

Even when the PS1 came out....

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I'm not sure that will be the case. I would say if you take movies there are actually 3 tiers - cinema, pay to own and subscription and Game Pass is more to do with the fight between the latter two. Even with Netflix and the like, cinema is booming (well, before Covid hit anyway!) and people will spend their money to go and see one film.

Taking some big games going forward, I know that I would pay for Cyberpunk on release day, GTA 6, RDR 3 etc and I would be very surprised if they ever ended up on subscription services for a long time after release as the businesses involved would make far more money by selling those titles to people rather than via taking a cut of subscription. If that wasn't the case the huge films would be on subscription services a lot quicker than they are - this is ignoring the fact that Netflix never get them and you have to go to multiple to watch the bigger movies on other services.

They may end up there someday (is GTA V even available now on any of them?) but for the absolute highest quality games that aren't MS owned I think there will be a pretty long wait if you just used subscription services and they will stay as something to buy for a long while yet.
GTA V and RDR2 have both been on gamepass this year. And didn't RDR2 hit within a year?? With respect though, they feel like exceptions as they are absolutely huge games rather than the rule.

I'm sure you're right that some big games won't be on a sub at all and pure pay to own, just how some of the other biggest titles right now start as free to play (warzone, Fortnite etc.). I think the vast majority of games in time (10 years) will be available in a mix of models though, and available on at least 2 of those 3 options (and many all 3) - sub, free with ads/microtransactions, pay to own.

Film is different but even there the lines are blurring. See Mulan and Disney+. Or for a pre-Covid example, what about The Irishman hitting Netflix day 1. I'm not sure about cinema stats, I love cinema and I'm pretty worried about them so would love to see the stats. But that's had disruption? They all started pushing their unlimited sub models and many released they needed to offer a more premium/luxury experience Vs the home to justify the cost (recliner seats etc)

Shark

@NotShark

Do you have a TV/monitor to fully support them and what games have you tested out so far? The absolute best games aren't going to come out for a while yet but you should see a big performance jump resolution/fps wise and with loading times. Cyberpunk on the 10th of December should look "next gen" for both consoles if you're interested in that. Although it'll be also be awaiting a genuine next gen patch.

Last edited:

Bosws87

Similar to films the majority of games you have played before or borrow from somewhere before it’s rarer then ever something totally ground breaking comes out.

The visual upgrade is smaller then ever for this generation to its the smaller details that are the improvement this time round.

I've found for a while there is only a handful of games that truly grip me these days, i'll never bother with the vast amount of mediocre games i'm bored of them within 5 minutes, which is why i get so annoyed that people
keep buying this crap over and over again haha.

Balljy

GTA V and RDR2 have both been on gamepass this year. And didn't RDR2 hit within a year?? With respect though, they feel like exceptions as they are absolutely huge games rather than the rule.

I'm sure you're right that some big games won't be on a sub at all and pure pay to own, just how some of the other biggest titles right now start as free to play (warzone, Fortnite etc.). I think the vast majority of games in time (10 years) will be available in a mix of models though, and available on at least 2 of those 3 options (and many all 3) - sub, free with ads/microtransactions, pay to own.

Film is different but even there the lines are blurring. See Mulan and Disney+. Or for a pre-Covid example, what about The Irishman hitting Netflix day 1. I'm not sure about cinema stats, I love cinema and I'm pretty worried about them so would love to see the stats. But that's had disruption? They all started pushing their unlimited sub models and many released they needed to offer a more premium/luxury experience Vs the home to justify the cost (recliner seats etc)
I agree they are exceptions, but I think we are saying the same in that the largest games will appear after a long delay and most AAA games that aren't MS will have some form of delay before reaching subscription. I don't think that will change as why would companies not try and maximise profit by having an exclusive release first and then go subscriber? It worked in movies and they will try the same in games I'm sure.

Sorry, I missed RDR2 was on Game Pass in the past - I'm on PC (which slightly annoys me now I didn't get it unlike Xbox!).

Cinema was growing worldwide before Covid hit. The long term impacts of that will be unknown for a couple of years, but it doesn't change the fact that subscription didn't stop people going to the Cinema.

https://unic-cinemas.org/en/news/ne...4-billion-visits-to-european-cinemas-in-2019/

The Irishman had its rights bought by Netflix when the big movie players refused to stump up the cash needed to complete the movie when the costs spiralled rather than a big movie designed to be released on Netflix at the same time.

Going forward I think it will be a choice of buying the big games day 1 (none-MS) or waiting a few months which isn't a bad deal.

mancan92

Honestly the quality of life stuff feels absolutely next gen. How fast and buttery smooth everything is worth the price. Let alone the games

Kearnkoff69

So I'm saving up for either a PS5 or a Series X, but am setting aside money to upgrade my TV as well. I've been using an old Samsung (circa 2013) that does the job fine - it was a mid-range LCD HDTV at the time of its release, but it only hits 1080p max resolution and doesn't support higher than 60Hz refresh rate. I figure if I'm going to spend the money on a new console in a few years, I should only do so when I have the technology infrastructure in place to fully utilize the console.

What do people here game on? OLED is an intriguing option if I can snag a sale in the next couple of years, but the price is still steep. Is it that much better than high end LCDs or QLEDs? Are there any other specs I should be paying attention to besides HDMI 2.1 support, 120Hz refresh rate, and 4K output?

Hoof the ball

Both of the premium next generation consoles also use a dynamic resolution scaling system. The lowest measured pixel count is 1440p (67 per cent of native 4K on either axis) while the maximum is 1728p (80 per cent native) and in almost all scenarios
However, the key takeaway is that PlayStation 5 is much closer to the 60fps target more of the time, while Xbox Series X can struggle. In fact, at its worst, we noted PS5 delivering a 15 per cent performance advantage over its Microsoft equivalent in identical scenarios
Series X|S Are Buggier than PS5: Beyond performance matters, it's pretty clear that Assassin's Creed Valhalla still needs a lot of work - especially on Xbox platforms. We encountered plenty of bugs playing this game: in addition to some weird performance bottlenecks on Series consoles, we also noted that camera motion doesn't update with a linear relationship to frame-rate during cutscenes, meaning some ugly looking stutter even with the engine actually running flat-out at 60fps (PS5 is fine here)

Bojan11

Meh poorly optimised on both consoles. And Dev tools from Series X are behind according to digital foundry and the game needs a patch on it.

Will try it when it’s patched.

Amarsdd

Surprising comparison regarding Valhalla! Wasn't there a lot of talk about this being optimized for Xbox Series X? or was I thinking of some other cross-platform game?

Bosws87

So I'm saving up for either a PS5 or a Series X, but am setting aside money to upgrade my TV as well. I've been using an old Samsung (circa 2013) that does the job fine - it was a mid-range LCD HDTV at the time of its release, but it only hits 1080p max resolution and doesn't support higher than 60Hz refresh rate. I figure if I'm going to spend the money on a new console in a few years, I should only do so when I have the technology infrastructure in place to fully utilize the console.

What do people here game on? OLED is an intriguing option if I can snag a sale in the next couple of years, but the price is still steep. Is it that much better than high end LCDs or QLEDs? Are there any other specs I should be paying attention to besides HDMI 2.1 support, 120Hz refresh rate, and 4K output?
Honestly you just need a decent 4k HDR 60hz OLED/QLED the 120 fps thing is really a dream bar a few titles (at 4k anyway)

VRR is an excellent feature, but if you have never been overly bothered by screen tearing/stutter you wouldn't notice it for the extra money anyway.

OLED can do perfect blacks, QLED can not.

Burn in is still a thing on OLED's but its getting better and better so its a really small negative if your leaving it constantly on with non moving graphics on the screen.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

PS5 performing up to 15 % better on the PS5 than on Series X.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
It's actually more than 15%.. almost 25% in some scenes. But that's not the major issue.Issue is screen tearing. Was playing this on friends XSX and screen tearing was just way too much. Almost unplayable in certain scene. Not having VRR supported TV sucks. Hopefully it will be patched because MS can't expect everyone to have that feature.

Kearnkoff69

Honestly you just need a decent 4k HDR 60hz OLED/QLED the 120 fps thing is really a dream bar a few titles (at 4k anyway)

VRR is an excellent feature, but if you have never been overly bothered by screen tearing/stutter you wouldn't notice it for the extra money anyway.

OLED can do perfect blacks, QLED can not.

Burn in is still a thing on OLED's but its getting better and better so its a really small negative if your leaving it constantly on with non moving graphics on the screen.
Thanks for the detailed response. Not too worried about burn-in, as my gaming time comes in shorter spurts the older I get (and more responsibilities pile up on my plate). I'd say the TV is used for watching shows/movies and sports 80% of the time, the other 20% is for gaming. Not needing a 120Hz refresh rate definitely opens up some more economically reasonable options, so that's also great to know. Thanks again!

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I'm all for bashing Xbox but Ubisoft are notorious for poor optimisation. Still good to see the PS5 performing well
They're awful. I have Watchdogs Legion on PC. You cannot run the game, regardless of setup, at 60fps locked. I have a 1080ti, 8700k build and I shit you not I cant even get a locked 60fps at 1080p, or even 720p for that matter!!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If you have a PC, just the PS5.

if not, just the PS5.
Go all in, uber geek style. Get both and a new 30xx nvidia card!
Ask yourself if you want the machine where the UI causes it to be deafening
I have a pretty good PC honestly. I can run Warhammer 2 Total War on ultra with almost no hiccups. I'm just more of a console guy, I don't like mice and keyboards.

I'll get the PS5 first I guess. I hope the whole let's remake old games so we don't have to come up with new stuff dies out a bit though. I'm sure the new Demon's Souls looks great, but I've beaten the original a million times and I don't give a feck about graphics.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I have a pretty good PC honestly. I can run Warhammer 2 Total War on ultra with almost no hiccups. I'm just more of a console guy, I don't like mice and keyboards.

I'll get the PS5 first I guess. I hope the whole let's remake old games so we don't have to come up with new stuff dies out a bit though. I'm sure the new Demon's Souls looks great, but I've beaten the original a million times and I don't give a feck about graphics.
There’s zero reason to get an Xbox if you have a good PC. Just subscribe to gamepass for Tetris and get a PS5.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ask yourself if you want the machine where the UI causes you to go insane.
it really does amaze me how Microsoft of all companies can do such terrible UI's. Really went to shite when they implemented the universal approach a few years back.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Outside of old man Lambo and people who've not got an Xbox, the UI is mostly fine and rated here.