Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Not sure if it’s incredibly sad or what, but as a 40 year old I’m really quite excited about next 2 weeks. 2 new shiny boxes under my TV.

I’m getting one of my kids a ps5 too

Pray for my credit card

Bosws87

Not sure if it’s incredibly sad or what, but as a 40 year old I’m really quite excited about next 2 weeks. 2 new shiny boxes under my TV.

I’m getting one of my kids a ps5 too

Pray for my credit card
Any consolation my 65 year old dad is more excited then me for his console he's booked the day off work!

Reditus

Any consolation my 65 year old dad is more excited then me for his console he's booked the day off work!
Ah that’s lovely

In 25 years I will be like that too probably

I was considering taking days off for them as I have holidays to use up, but I don’t trust couriers to deliver to me on release day. Haven’t got my shipping confirmation yet for my Xbox from GameStop.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
We should enjoy console launches when they happen, though. Because I reckon there are only another 2 or 3 to come.

Reditus

We should enjoy console launches when they happen, though. Because I reckon there are only another 2 or 3 to come.
Well if it’s 3 more gens that’s 20+ years. More likely streaming will be perfect in that time so yeah the hardware might be a thing of the past, but I don’t see end to PlayStation, Xbox or Nintendo

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Well if it’s 3 more gens that’s 20+ years. More likely streaming will be perfect in that time so yeah the hardware might be a thing of the past, but I don’t see end to PlayStation, Xbox or Nintendo
Yeah, I think streaming still has 20 years to go to replace consoles. Nintendo are the ones who could be left behind one day, but who knows.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is the first time I've not really felt like this is a must have upgrade. Atleast not to jump out and buy the thing at full price.

The games feel a bit meh, the need for a new style of TV just seems like an improve of graphics and apart from the PS5's dualsense I've not seen much that's changed at all.

Bojan11

Nope. One S and base PS4.

That's why this leap is going to be huge to me. Series X is definitely iterative and particularly over One X, but the difference to One S should hopefully be striking.

Ori first because it's the quicker to transfer. But early games are going to be Ori, Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5.

Halo MCC (after patch), Gears Tactics, Halo 5 and Fallen Order in the background perhaps. Hoping to convince a few to get one Sea of Thieves with me but not convinced it'll get much time.

FIFA, Rocket, COD I'll still be jumping on when certain mates are online. Tony Hawk's when I need something mindless.

Will be looking at Destiny 2 and Cyberpunk in December.

How about you?
Yakuza.

Got AC Valhalla, Dirt and DMC 5 preordered for Xbox. But been looking forward to play Yakuza and see the new direction they taken it in.

Reditus

This is the first time I've not really felt like this is a must have upgrade. Atleast not to jump out and buy the thing at full price.

The games feel a bit meh, the need for a new style of TV just seems like an improve of graphics and apart from the PS5's dualsense I've not seen much that's changed at all.
Load times. That’s the number 1 thing for me.

It seems to be really improved

Bojan11

Dam, some oldies getting excited for the consoles and I can't find any excitement.
Let them enjoy it.

Elvis is nearly 50 and has been behaving like a kid all this time.

You really just going to play COD? No wonder you are not excited.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Let them enjoy it.

Elvis is nearly 50 and has been behaving like a kid all this time.

You really just going to play COD? No wonder you are not excited.
I was 30 last week. It’s the simple things that give me the most pleasure so yes I am excited for new consoles and new games.

Bojan11

I was 30 last week. It’s the simple things that give me the most pleasure so yes I am excited for new consoles and new games.
Haha, so you are older than me.

But what matters to me is when I am going to get my apology from you? For all the personal attacks over these last few months. I’d be a bit more cultured and will accept a bow in shame.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
34 tomorrow and I’m pissing my pants more than my 5 month old, with the excitement!

give me a box of Lego now and I’m in heaven

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Haha, so you are older than me.

But what matters to me is when I am going to get my apology from you? For all the personal attacks over these last few months. I’d be a bit more cultured and will accept a bow in shame.
I apologise for my personal attacks and insults. I hope we can move forward and forge a new friendship to coincide with the release of the new consoles.

Bojan11

I apologise for my personal attacks and insults. I hope we can move forward and forge a new friendship to coincide with the release of the new consoles.
Cut your pinky finger and post it to me if you really mean that.

@DixieDean you the most boring it seems. COD isn’t out till Friday. So what will you be playing on it?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Cut your pinky finger and post it to me if you really mean that.

@DixieDean you the most boring it seems. COD isn’t out till Friday. So what will you be playing on it?
I will fire up Gears 5 and Horizon 4 since I hear they're the best looking. The only problem is I have to dl them again. Maybe ori, as well.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Anyone else a bit deflated with the X?

I don't know - I guess it's because I've turned it on - and it's not really any different from my One S - just a little bit snappier between menus but thats it? I've purchased via XAA so I'm paying £30 a month for what my One S was doing for free... ?

I guess it's because the controller is the same, the same UI, no awesome exclusive launch titles etc.

Hopefully I'll feel better as I play more but right now feeling a bit down.
It will get better

I was a bit deflated but my PS3 at launch

The games I had (motorstorm and something else) were vastly improved graphically compared to what could be done on a PS2... And yet the games at launch weren't as fun as what was on PS2 already and all seemed to have lost the ability to do splitscreen.

You've bought a new console at the worst time which is launch. Get cyberpunk on it and it will start to feel next gen

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-seriously-needs-to-improve-recorded-clip-length.323140/

Recording clip on Series X|S is 3 minutes at 720p or 1 minute at 1080p. That is really weird.

PS5 is up to an hour. 10-15 minutes should be long enough to trim down to the clip you want (I had it at 15 mins on PS4), but 1 minute is ridiculous. Should be something Microsoft can easily sort out if they want to though.
I am pretty sure last gen it was 5 minute max and PS4 share button was automatically 15?

Agree it needs to be longer. Maybe it was a decision to push people to streaming but now they don't have mixer then there's no real need for that now.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I am pretty sure last gen it was 5 minute max and PS4 share button was automatically 15?

Agree it needs to be longer. Maybe it was a decision to push people to streaming but now they don't have mixer then there's no real need for that now.
Might just be a thing that was never a priority for MS. There wasn't a share button on Xbox One controllers and though I didn't play on it, apparently sharing clips was better with mobile or something?

The 15 mins on PS4 was great but sometimes I forgot whether it was a single press or double press of the share button which brought up the last 15 minutes.

Alock1

I know there's probably been mixed experiences but to me, it's weird that a console so iterative can feel pretty transformative to be honest (go ahead and roll eyes Lambs). Doesn't apply for those with gaming PCs and less prevalent for those with the One X/Pro I'm sure.

Journos obviously spoke up both consoles speed in UI, loading times, ability to breathe life into old titles. Those journos have a Pro/One X and almost always a top end gaming PC.

Coming from the One S the difference is huge. Yes it's like an iPhone that the UI and apps are the same, but it's like going from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 10 (X?) in one leap.

Yesterday was a bit shit as I spent the day downloading everything rather than bit by bit. I had planned to play whilst downloading but there seems to be a bug stopping that happening which was pretty annoying.

Last night and this morning though bouncing between games at speed, loading up rapidly (some outliers with lots of unskippable splash screens ofc) has been ace.

Filled the drive and have plenty more Id like to chuck on. Might invest in a 1TB SSD (not the proprietary one).

Yes it's day 2 but it's clear to me I'll be playing games more often as a result. The load times and inability to switch with ease are always a big barrier for me cause I'm a lazy bastard.

Anybody going from PS4 to PS5 is obviously in for a bigger treat. As you get all the above plus new UI, controller and a few titles which go further to showcasing the capability of next gen (Spiderman MM, Dark Souls). Some of that is a novelty and the biggest stuff long term are the things I've spoke about, but will make for an ace launch and a much better experience going forward.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I know there's probably been mixed experiences but to me, it's weird that a console so iterative can feel pretty transformative to be honest (go ahead and roll eyes Lambs). Doesn't apply for those with gaming PCs and less prevalent for those with the One X/Pro I'm sure.

Journos obviously spoke up both consoles speed in UI, loading times, ability to breathe life into old titles. Those journos have a Pro/One X and almost always a top end gaming PC.

Coming from the One S the difference is huge. Yes it's like an iPhone that the UI and apps are the same, but it's like going from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 10 (X?) in one leap.

Yesterday was a bit shit as I spent the day downloading everything rather than bit by bit. I had planned to play whilst downloading but there seems to be a bug stopping that happening which was pretty annoying.

Last night and this morning though bouncing between games at speed, loading up rapidly (some outliers with lots of unskippable splash screens ofc) has been ace.

Filled the drive and have plenty more Id like to chuck on. Might invest in a 1TB SSD (not the proprietary one).

Yes it's day 2 but it's clear to me I'll be playing games more often as a result. The load times and inability to switch with ease are always a big barrier for me cause I'm a lazy bastard.

Anybody going from PS4 to PS5 is obviously in for a bigger treat. As you get all the above plus new UI, controller and a few titles which go further to showcasing the capability of next gen (Spiderman MM, Dark Souls). Some of that is a novelty and the biggest stuff long term are the things I've spoke about, but will make for an ace launch and a much better experience going forward.
I agree with you. The convenience factor is suddenly ramped up no end, which suits the Xbox a heck of a lot given its role as a GamePass machine.

I'm still curious about Sony and how long they can hold out with the more old school method of delivering games via individual experiences. I reckon by mid-gen they'll be feeling a lot of pressure to have PS Now as their primary delivery method.

It'll be interesting to see how developers react too because there's already been some clamoring to increase the RRP of games. I reckon most will be expecting the opposite.

Sony's certainly helped themselves with the haptic controller. At this point, it's a genuine reason to experience new games in a different way.

Bojan11

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-devil-may-cry-5-ps5-xbox-series-x-comparison

Xbox seems to have a consistent - if very small - advantage in three of the four modes, while its inconsistency in the high frame-rate mode is puzzling to say the least.
High Frame-Rate Mode: Across a range of content tested in this mode, both consoles delivered a 100fps average. However, the average does not tell the real story. Xbox retains an advantage in cutscenes and in some gameplay content, but again, the boost is typically small. Meanwhile, in many of the gameplay areas we tested, PS5 is significantly faster and more consistent that Series X overall. It's conjecture on our part, but there is the sense that there's a graphics API bottleneck here that impacts performance on the Xbox side in some scenarios, while PS5 simply powers on.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-devil-may-cry-5-ps5-xbox-series-x-comparison

Alex from DF on resetera

Consider a game like Gears 5 which has similar performance on XSX to an RTX 2080 (a bit below). The XSX in that screenshot there is tanking way below that expected GPU performance. IMO - something is not right with this game or the software layer between the game and hardware if such a drop like that occurs.
So not a good job by capcom on both consoles.

Alock1

So incredibly close that it will come down to the games available, i know which corner im backing in that race, but both look great performance wise.
Games and apps

Gamepass is a killer app, it's pretty undeniable

Both clearly have huge potential and a wicked starting point for the next 5 years or so

Bosws87

Games and apps

Gamepass is a killer app, it's pretty undeniable

Both clearly have huge potential and a wicked starting point for the next 5 years or so
Totally agree, i'll sit back and watch to see if Microsoft live up to their promise of the top class games from their studios still currently very sceptical.

If i'm wrong just more good games to play win, win all round.

Alock1

Totally agree, i'll sit back and watch to see if Microsoft live up to their promise of the top class games from their studios still currently very sceptical.

If i'm wrong just more good games to play win, win all round.
Fair enough.

I'll no doubt massively regret this this comparison, but it's like when City got petrol money and at first bought Jo, Wayne Bridge and Wright-Philips. Easy to scoff but then they buy David Silva, Yaya Toure and Kun Aguero and you start to sit up a little.

The galactico approach doesn't always work out. On paper the quality and quantity is there for all to see, but like football doesn't always play out how it should. Manager disconnect, appropriate backing, culture challenges and fan expectations can all get in the way.

Bosws87

Fair enough.

I'll no doubt massively regret this this comparison, but it's like when City got petrol money and at first bought Jo, Wayne Bridge and Wright-Philips. Easy to scoff but then they buy David Silva, Yaya Toure and Kun Aguero and you start to sit up a little.

The galactico approach doesn't always work out. On paper the quality and quantity is there for all to see, but like football doesn't always play out how it should. Manager disconnect, appropriate backing, culture challenges and fan expectations can all get in the way.
I hope i'm wrong but you only have to go on a quick top rated games for the previous xbox on metacritic to see microsoft studios for the whole generation was basically irrelevant.

Alock1

I hope i'm wrong but you only have to go on a quick top rated games for the previous xbox on metacritic to see microsoft studios for the whole generation was basically irrelevant.
Because they had no studios

They've gone from about 6 to 24 in 2 years (Inc Bethesda)

If you add the Bethesda games alone to the list, it gets a lot better (then add Outer World's, Hellblade, Flight Sim)

It's like saying Chelsea probably won't have a decent attack this year because last year they had Tammy Abraham upfront