Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bosws87

Because they had no studios

They've gone from about 6 to 24 in 2 years (Inc Bethesda)

If you add the Bethesda games alone to the list, it gets a lot better (then add Outer World's, Hellblade, Flight Sim)

It's like saying Chelsea probably won't have a decent attack this year because last year they had Tammy Abraham upfront
You obviously have high hopes from the quick scan of the studios, id software, ninja theory, Turn 10 (not my cup of tea but forza cant be denied as a powerhouse), The initiative (sound like potential from where the talent has come from crystal dynamics etc) Arkane studios maybe and obviously bethesda themselves although my head says they are going downhill ever since skyrim released have been awful.

There the ones i would consider a chance out of the big list, the rest i couldn't care less about.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-seriously-needs-to-improve-recorded-clip-length.323140/

Recording clip on Series X|S is 3 minutes at 720p or 1 minute at 1080p. That is really weird.

PS5 is up to an hour. 10-15 minutes should be long enough to trim down to the clip you want (I had it at 15 mins on PS4), but 1 minute is ridiculous. Should be something Microsoft can easily sort out if they want to though.
I can’t imagine needing a clip longer than 5 mins? Even that is too much most of the time when I use it. Anyone serious about wanting longer will have a capture card won’t they?

I just hope they’ve fixed the corrupted captures.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Think I've only ever used clips for something crazy that has happened so never needed more than about 30 seconds.

Besides streamers showing full games, why would you ever need to clip an hour?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Heading to bed with 15 games queued to download. Game pass is such insane value now with the ea back catalogue. Couldn't be happier.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Heading to bed with 15 games queued to download. Game pass is such insane value now with the ea back catalogue. Couldn't be happier.
Yeah all my main games are on now, and I’m looking at what I can get from EA Play. Got NFS Heat, want a Star Wars one (or all of them?), and might get Madden

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I read the other day that you cant play FIFA on the new consoles online against previous gen. I know there is no cross play but I would have assumed you can play FIFA on Series X vs Xb1 players in BC mode?

Are there any other games with this same issue?

Reditus

Bump, can anyone answer my question above?

Adamsk7

Not sure if it’s incredibly sad or what, but as a 40 year old I’m really quite excited about next 2 weeks. 2 new shiny boxes under my TV.

I’m getting one of my kids a ps5 too

Pray for my credit card
It’s not sad at all! I am 38 in three weeks and I’ve bought both consoles, games, accessories and am so excited for the PS5 on Thursday! We are both of the age that we were brought up with video games and they are just an entertainment medium - they haven’t been “for kids” since before the PlayStation era IMO. I mean at £450 per console and £60 a game, they are not priced like a kids toy.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Can you do that with xbox elite controllers?
Nope. They just have trigger stops so you can press them down in increments - short, medium and full. Totally different and not about immersion but just trying to shoot quicker.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Nope. They just have trigger stops so you can press them down in increments - short, medium and full. Totally different and not about immersion but just trying to shoot quicker.
Fair enough thank you.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For those just wanting to see it in action

https://v.redd.it/w678qt5b24y51

https://v.redd.it/tgche47zl8z51

Lots of others from COD about too. Id never use it in multiplayer as you'd be at a disadvantage but single player or co-op modes it's really fecking cool.
Do you have PS5 and Cold war?

I only ever really play multiplayer games and if it does cause an disadvantage as you say then maybe its wouldn't be worth it for me.

Alock1

Do you have PS5 and Cold war?

I only ever really play multiplayer games and if it does cause an disadvantage as you say then maybe its wouldn't be worth it for me.
Nah I've got cold war on my Series X. Getting a PS5 but won't have cod on it.

Hoping I can try someone elses though

Alock1

Surely this is potentialy good news for everyone? Dont be upset...
I don't mind where they go to be honest and definitely still expect to see at least some big exclusives.

They'll all be on gamepass day 1 which is the main benefit for me.

Gamepass is changing the way I think about games. Unless there's an online element that I know I will sink lots of hours into over a long period with friends (FIFA, cod), I no longer see value in buying games. It's the same as music, TV and film - I haven't bought any since I started subscribing to Spotify, Netflix, Amazon etc.

Its the biggest hurdle to me justifying my PS5 pre-order. I don't mind buying just Spiderman as a launch exception and then working through PS+ collection but after that not sure what I'd play. When Horizon comes out I won't want to pay £70 for it and probably would just wait until it's on one of the subscriptions.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't mind where they go to be honest and definitely still expect to see at least some big exclusives.

Gamepass is changing the way I think about games. Unless there's an online element that I know I will sink lots of hours into over a long period with friends (FIFA, cod), I no longer see value in buying games. It's the same as music, TV and film - I haven't bought any since I started subscribing to Spotify, Netflix, Amazon etc.

Its the biggest hurdle to me justifying my PS5 pre-order. I don't mind buying just Spiderman as a launch exception and then working through PS+ collection but after that not sure what I'd play. When Horizon comes out I won't want to pay £70 for it and probably would just wait until it's on one of the subscriptions.
Agreed. Using movies as a yardstick, I buy blu-rays regularly (once/twice a month) but only because they come with extras you can't get by streaming online. Unfortunately games out of the box have been going the opposite way as you now get nothing except for the potential resale value (not even a manual anymore). There's really less incentive than ever to go retail, especially with amazing options like PS Now and Gamepass.

What I'd love to see is retail games being seen as a more hobbyist product and offering something their digital counterparts can't or won't. The MGS Legacy Collection is a good example of this. It came with all the games but also two digital graphic novels and a booklet. Was really cool.

(Edit - I suppose that's the purpose of 'collectors editions' but most of the time they come with overpriced tat).

Bosws87

Total opposite i have no problems paying for a top class game, i have no desire to subscribe to a service full of mediocre games which i have zero desire to play.

I will buy all the top class exclusive games and any top class 3rd party game. I never have or never will have any desire for the middle of the road games released which honestly the majority of all subscription services are filled with be it movies/games.

Alock1

Total opposite i have no problems paying for a top class game, i have no desire to subscribe to a service full of mediocre games which i have zero desire to play.

I will buy all the top class exclusive games and any top class 3rd party game. I never have or never will have any desire for the middle of the road games released which honestly the majority of all subscription services are filled with be it movies/games.
Good for you. I am sure in the not too distant future every game will release on some sort of subscription service but for those who'd like to pay to own they will still be able to.

Xbox is Netflix and Sony are HBO of about 10 years ago

Bojan11

Good for you. I am sure in the not too distant future every game will release on some sort of subscription service but for those who'd like to pay to own they will still be able to.

Yeah for some reason he doesn’t comprehend that. You need to get some chalk out. You can still buy Gears separately.

HBO has been around decades. Their whole model has existed on subs. I’m sure the wire, game of thrones and Sopranos are middle of the road shows. Netflix are the biggest spenders. No idea how anyone can accuse them of having budget shows. It’s the opposite.

Alock1

Yeah for some reason he doesn’t comprehend that. You need to get some chalk out. You can still buy Gears separately.

HBO has been around decades. Their whole model has existed on subs. I’m sure the wire, game of thrones and Sopranos are middle of the road shows. Netflix are the biggest spenders. No idea how anyone can accuse them of having budget shows. It’s the opposite.
My point was more 10 years ago HBO was still considered king when it came to quality television content. Everybody was on cable and paying a premium to watch their shows.

At the time Netflix were padding their subscription with 3rd party licenses and starting to produce some hero original pieces. Over time the reliance on 3rd party lessened as their own productions took centre stage and came to rival that of HBO.

More and more people cut cable and moved to subscription models that could be accessed on any device. HBO have moved to open subs that don't require cable (in this case the PS console) to access.

For those who still want to buy the Sopranos box set they can. And on Netflix originals, you can buy House of Cards.

Sony will put their subscription model front and centre at some point and put their best content in it. When they do they'll kill it I'm sure.

Bosws87

Netflix produces its own top quality media in house... :rolleyes:

Not convinced subscription is the way to go, am convinced the business want it to get that way as its guaranteed income month upon month even if they shovel out crap for a few months in a row.

Last edited:

Alock1

Netflix produces its own top quality media in house... :rolleyes:

Not convinced subscription is the way to go, am convinced the business want it to get that way as its guaranteed income month upon month even if they shovel out crap for a few months in a row.
As does Microsoft (Flight Sim, Forza Horizons, Forza, Wasteland, Hellblade, Halo, Gears and now the Bethesda suite). Just less of it than Sony historically, and on average of lesser quality (but still high) Which was also true of Netflix Vs HBO 10 years ago.

It will be a mix of models moving forwards. I am not saying sub only but clearly that is going to be big. Gamepass went from 10 to 15 million subs this year before xCloud or the new consoles and still without really hitting that first party exclusive content they no doubt will with their dev acquisitions.

We may even see games experiment with the pricing strategy routes that a lot of eastern media has gone which are mixed models. Pay per chapter, pay for ending, free but donate to dev etc.etc.

I think the 3 obvious models that will apply to all though are clear. Pay to own a particular game, or access a library of on-demand games which are funded by subscription or ads. The latter will be much more likely when cloud gaming is able to actually penetrate the market.

Bojan11

As does Microsoft (Flight Sim, Forza Horizons, Forza, Wasteland, Hellblade, Halo, Gears and now the Bethesda suite). Just less of it than Sony historically, and on average of lesser quality (but still high) Which was also true of Netflix Vs HBO 10 years ago.

It will be a mix of models moving forwards. I am not saying sub only but clearly that is going to be big. Gamepass went from 10 to 15 million subs this year before xCloud or the new consoles and still without really hitting that first party exclusive content they no doubt will with their dev acquisitions.

We may even see games experiment with the pricing strategy routes that a lot of eastern media has gone which are mixed models. Pay per chapter, pay for ending, free but donate to dev etc.etc.

I think the 3 obvious models that will apply to all though are clear. Pay to own a particular game, or access a library of on-demand games which are funded by subscription or ads. The latter will be much more likely when cloud gaming is able to actually penetrate the market.
I will add that Xbox said yesterday they’d most likely follow the Sony route as development costs are getting out of hand and probably join the £70 pricing as games haven’t had price increases since 2005. They will still continue to sell games separately. But obviously it’s better value for someone to just join gamepass than buy them. Options are great to have though.

Reditus

Sold!

Hope you are getting good commision

Bosws87

with the software attachment rate of roughly between 9/10 games per console throughout the ps4's whole life time, its easy to see why the subscription model makes huge sense from the business side

The majority of us in here come from consoles who buy 30+ games per generation the reality is most don't get anywhere near that.

Im a huge fan of the free to play model though im a sucker for skins my League, CS:GO and Valorant expenditure would probs pay for a subscription service for the next 30 years :)

Balljy

I'm not sure that will be the case. I would say if you take movies there are actually 3 tiers - cinema, pay to own and subscription and Game Pass is more to do with the fight between the latter two. Even with Netflix and the like, cinema is booming (well, before Covid hit anyway!) and people will spend their money to go and see one film.

Taking some big games going forward, I know that I would pay for Cyberpunk on release day, GTA 6, RDR 3 etc and I would be very surprised if they ever ended up on subscription services for a long time after release as the businesses involved would make far more money by selling those titles to people rather than via taking a cut of subscription. If that wasn't the case the huge films would be on subscription services a lot quicker than they are - this is ignoring the fact that Netflix never get them and you have to go to multiple to watch the bigger movies on other services.

They may end up there someday (is GTA V even available now on any of them?) but for the absolute highest quality games that aren't MS owned I think there will be a pretty long wait if you just used subscription services and they will stay as something to buy for a long while yet.