PSG | 2017-18 Performance Thread | Tuchel becomes coach on a two-year deal

Aboutreika18

Didn't Emerey take off Cavani in the 1st leg and Madrid dominated the game after that and scored 2 goals?
That actually lead to a pretty dominate 5-10 minute period for PSG, tbf.

But when they started dropping deeper and deeper, they were missing Cavani's tireless pressing from the front and fell apart.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That was pretty idiotic. Basically telling Madrid he's settled for a draw and they can attack him if they want to score.
Emery is a footballing 'nerd' so he probably thought of some clever way to take off Cavani and it backfired. It's a bit like Conte using Hazard as a striker, when it works it's amazing but when it doesn't it looks stupid.

That actually lead to a pretty dominate 5-10 minute period for PSG, tbf.

But when they started dropping deeper and deeper, they were missing Cavani's tireless pressing from the front and fell apart.
That's what I thought, Cavani was always hassling the centre backs with his movement and pressing. That could have been why Neymar was so effective, he had a lot more space.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Lucas Moura escaped to Spurs at the right time ;)

Trizy

One Oil club knocked out. Hopefully someone can do the job on City next round.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Didn't Emerey take off Cavani in the 1st leg and Madrid dominated the game after that and scored 2 goals?
PSG best period in the first leg came after Cavani was subbed off. RM only took over the last 10 minutes.

The idea was to reinforce the right flank who looked vulnerable. Worked for a while even though both late goals still came from the right eventually. In hindsight subbing Mbappé instead to keep Cavani's workrate could have been better.

Kapardin

Emery is a footballing 'nerd' so he probably thought of some clever way to take off Cavani and it backfired. It's a bit like Conte using Hazard as a striker, when it works it's amazing but when it doesn't it looks stupid
Good chance Conte is managing them next season. Him or Jardim would be the only big names available who might take PSG to the next level. Unless they want Ancelotti.

el3mel

Good chance Conte is managing them next season. Him or Jardim would be the only big names available who might take PSG to the next level. Unless they want Ancelotti.
Conte and PSG looks like a mismatch made in hell for me. Can't see how he'll suit their players and vice versa.

I think Luis Enrique will suit them better.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I am amazed the amount of flack Emery is getting on here, & the underestimation of his managerial skills. Mourinho & Man Utd won the Europa League last season, & both manager & fans seem to think this was a great achievement in the circumstances, getting back into the Champions League. Emery at Sevilla won the Europa League three consecutive years running, with a team, not being disrespectful, are hardly one of the leading lights in Europe. In the three years in charge got 5,5,7th in La Liga, comparable to us (Man Utd), which as we are always being told the La Liga is on par or better than the Premier League, so good achievement. Now he has failed to get a bunch of mercenaries, led by an indulgent Cry Baby, to Champions League glory the knives are out, with a long list of better managers to replace him. Or are they. Any manager coming in will still have to deal with a team of individual mercenaries, in a uncompetitive league, & unrealistic demands, so will they do any better, or would they want to try. I have my doubts.
Monaco 2-0 PSG last season with Verratti #10 lol
Barcelona 6-1 PSG
Bayern 3-1 PSG
Real 3-1 PSG with Lo Celso as a defensive midfielder while he was a #10 in Argentina
PSG 1-2 Real

He's an average coach with odd choices sometimes.

I am more amazed by those who underrate and denigrate a player like Neymar :rolleyes:

Why? It is doubtful whether the pampered cry baby would have made much difference. Certainly didn't in the first leg.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The good thing for him is that he won't have to invest in new furniture to extend his trophy cabinet for a while. :p

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The first leg against Madrid and the second one were two different stories

1st leg: the inexperienced and light Lo Celso made the team febrile and unbalanced. Lassana Diarra should have started given the fact that Motta was injured. Neymar was excellent even if he didn't score while Add the poor coaching during the game as the coach should have preserved a 1-1 in the last 20 minutes. Di Maria hasn't played a single minute despite the fact that M'bappé and Cavani were non-existent.

2nd leg: Motta made the team mode balanced but there were a no man's land between the central midfielders and Cavani. Neymar was injured so there wasn't the creative playmaker able to play between the isolated Cavani and the central midfield whose centre of gravity is deep per construction. Rabiot was disappointing. Matuidi would have had a better offensive contribution yesterday. So Draxler should have played much more (starter or sub at half time) to make the bridge between the offensive and defensive players. Dani Alves made a fatal mistake leading to a goal by RM and Verratti took a stupid second yellow card.

Conclusion: Emery is the main person to be blamed. I hope he will coach the right club corresponding to his level, a club like Las Palmas would be nice tbh. A very cursed coach: last year Barcelona last 16, this season Real Madrid last 16 despite finishing 1st in the stage group. Key injured players like Neymar in these games.

Real Madrid was better but more importantly better prepared and experienced.

With Neymar and a world-class coach, PSG can win the Champions League for sure.

Let's do next summer whay City did last one: investments on fullbacks and goalkeeper and nobody will stop us next year :cool:

@BBRBB
@Sayros

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
PSG played a lot better in this first leg. Yesterday was pathetic, they should have come out to blitz Madrid straight away but played deep and slowly.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The first leg against Madrid and the second one were two different stories

1st leg: the inexperienced and light Lo Celso made the team febrile and unbalanced. Lassana Diarra should have started given the fact that Motta was injured. Neymar was excellent even if he didn't score while Add the poor coaching during the game as the coach should have preserved a 1-1 in the last 20 minutes. Di Maria hasn't played a single minute despite the fact that M'bappé and Cavani were non-existent.

2nd leg: Motta made the team mode balanced but there were a no man's land between the central midfielders and Cavani. Neymar was injured so there wasn't the creative playmaker able to play between the isolated Cavani and the central midfield whose centre of gravity is deep per construction. Rabiot was disappointing. Matuidi would have had a better offensive contribution yesterday. So Draxler should have played much more (starter or sub at half time) to make the bridge between the offensive and defensive players. Dani Alves made a fatal mistake leading to a goal by RM and Verratti took a stupid second yellow card.

Conclusion: Emery is the main person to be blamed. I hope he will coach the right club corresponding to his level, a club like Las Palmas would be nice tbh. A very cursed coach: last year Barcelona last 16, this season Real Madrid last 16 despite finishing 1st in the stage group. Key injured players like Neymar in these games.

Real Madrid was better but more importantly better prepared and experienced.

With Neymar and a world-class coach, PSG can win the Champions League for sure.

Let's do next summer whay City did last one: investments on fullbacks and goalkeeper and nobody will stop us next year :cool:

@BBRBB
@Sayros
You also need a strong combative central midfielder. Verrati and Rabiot are too light weight.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
You also need a strong combative central midfielder. Verrati and Rabiot are too light weight.
Indeed, Rabiot was supposed to be the dynamic B2B but his impact was disappointing. Lassana Diarra was recruited this winter too.
Because of the FFP, PSG had to sell Matuidi and failed to recruit a #6: Fabinho and Danilo were targeted last summer.
Next season, PSG will target a GK, a left-back and a defensive midfielder IMO

Last edited:

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
@Ecstatic It didn't work out for Emery in Paris but he deserves a good EL/ average CL level of club, not Las Palmas. You win some, you lose some, there will be better times in Europe for Paris.
Verratti and Rabiot don't lack combativity, it's the collective pressing setup that's been failing. A midfield destroyer wouldn't have changed much yesterday.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Emery is a good coach and he's been very unlucky but it's time to get someone new. Going out to Barcelona and Madrid is ok, but the way they got knocked out is unacceptable.

I'm not sure what PSG will change in their squad for next season though, a new goalkeeper seems pretty obvious but that won't make a huge difference and the rest of the team seems set already. They could upgrade their fullbacks but I don't see many great options available that would be clear upgrades.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@Ecstatic It didn't work out for Emery in Paris but he deserves a good EL/ average CL level of club, not Las Palmas. You win some, you lose some, there will be better times in Europe for Paris.

Verratti and Rabiot don't lack combativity, it's the collective pressing setup that's been failing. A midfield destroyer wouldn't have changed much yesterday.
Don't agree with that. Didn't look physically up to the challenge yesterday.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yes. Better times in Europe for Paris without him!

@Ecstatic Verratti and Rabiot don't lack combativity, it's the collective pressing setup that's been failing. A midfield destroyer wouldn't have changed much yesterday.
The central midfield has a low centre of gravity and that is why Zlatan playing as a false 9 made sense from a tactical perspective, which enables Cavani to join the penalty area.

Neymar was injured and Rabiot didn't play like a Matuidi so we had a very isolated Cavani.

PSG was more brilliant in November because Neymar and M'bappé did combine at the heart of the game in support of Cavani.

Add the fact that the FB were rather useless offensively.

Yesterday, we had to take risks so:

- Kurzawa should have played because he is better offensively than Berchiche
- Draxler instead of Rabiot as a starter or half-time.

Javi

I think Luis Enrique will suit them better.
To me, Luis Enrique looks like the guy who should receive the abuse Guardiola got and still gets for having amazing players win him shit. So, fraud level imo: 7/10.

Yes he got to revel in Spurs' legendary run to the Round of 16 from the bench and put the pressure on Juventus. A true victory despite losing

By the way where are you today Glaston? We miss you. You have an odd habit of disappearing after Spurs lose. Sure it's just a coincidence though

padzilla

Hipster
I would be surprised if PSG go for Conte given his style. Pochettino's time to manage an elite club could come sooner than many suspect.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In a way you could say that it was their destiny. I'm not a fan of Blanc but his sacking wasn't deserved, it was a knee jerk reaction and they replaced him with someone that wasn't head and shoulder better, if better at all.

el3mel

To me, Luis Enrique looks like the guy who should receive the abuse Guardiola got and still gets for having amazing players win him shit. So, fraud level imo: 7/10.
Not that disagree but that's why he'll suit their players more than a restrict manager as Conte.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I predicted that Pochettino would be a PSG candidate, former player and plays the way they want to play.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

@BBRBB @Ecstatic What do you think of this?
I don't believe he will be sacked before the end of the season.

His contract finishes next summer. No need to sack him.

I predicted that Pochettino would be a PSG candidate, former player and plays the way they want to play.
According to the press, the short-list would be Conte, Ancelotti, Allegri.

Then, they also consider Luis Enrique, Jardim...

We will certainly know the next coach in May-June

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
According to the press, the short-list would be Conte, Ancelotti, Allegri.

Then, they also consider Luis Enrique, Jardim...

We will certainly know the next coach in May-June
Isn't there a rumor that Henrique wants Jardim and was never a big fan of Emery?

NinjaFletch

Pochettino at PSG would be interesting, but I think he'd have a real struggle installing his methods into some of the egos there.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Isn't there a rumor that Henrique wants Jardim and was never a big fan of Emery?
Last summer, I read that Henrique wasn't a fan of Emery but we don't know what really happens behind the scenes.

In reality, even Henrique is supposed to be under pressure now according to some recent reports

Pochettino at PSG would be interesting, but I think he'd have a real struggle installing his methods into some of the egos there.
The interesting thing is he was a former PSG player so he won't need time to become acclimatized.

His dream club is Real Madrid and his recent European campaign against him: PSG wants a coach capable to beat clubs like Barcelona-Madrid-Juve-Bayern.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You have to wonder if their total lack of regular competitive games domestically causes them problems in the champions league.
Mentioned thins a couple of weeks ago.
You can't just switch on and off when the level of physical exertion between both competition is so vast.
PSG would have face complex situations against Real, they almost never face in their league.
I watched a game some month back. PSG scored 4 goals with 10 men, away from home.
I think it's a problem they will always have.

Adisa

PSG is a team made of doormats, it has nothing to do with the league or Real Madrid or Barcelona or anything else. They have no backbone.
Don't you think the league a team plays in could have an influence on them not having a backbone.
Having a backbone isn't something that just happens. It comes from building a culture out of getting yourself out of difficult situation.
It might be they're not out in that situation enough to have developed that culture.

Kapardin

I would be surprised if PSG go for Conte given his style. Pochettino's time to manage an elite club could come sooner than many suspect.
I wouldn't be. Their appointment of Emery was rather knee-jerk since no other option was available, and Emery had European experience, albeit in the EL. So, if they are desperate enough now, they will hire Conte looking at his league pedigree without considering his style.

Man City are better than them at having a vision wrt playing style, needs to be said. It was Pep or bust for them.

Mentioned thins a couple of weeks ago.
You can't just switch on and off when the level of physical exertion between both competition is so vast.
PSG would have face complex situations against Real, they almost never face in their league.
I watched a game some month back. PSG scored 4 goals with 10 men, away from home.
I think it's a problem they will always have.
Its' a problem, but a bit overstated. Bayern are in the same situation, and though they have had their fair share of upsets in the CL, atleast they show more bottle and make it to the semis.

Biggest problem is their lack of European experience and lack of a competent tactician to guide them and manage Neymar's ego.

Adisa

I wouldn't be. Their appointment of Emery was rather knee-jerk since no other option was available, and Emery had European experience, albeit in the EL. So, if they are desperate enough now, they will hire Conte looking at his league pedigree without considering his style.

Man City are better than them at having a vision wrt playing style, needs to be said. It was Pep or bust for them.

Its' a problem, but a bit overstated. Bayern are in the same situation, and though they have had their fair share of upsets in the CL, atleast they show more bottle and make it to the semis.

Biggest problem is their lack of European experience and lack of a competent tactician to guide them and manage Neymar's ego.
I'm not sure if it's a lack of tactical nous. They had two decent tacticians in Ancelotti and Emery, also a very good manager in Blanc.
To me it appears they can't concentrate in key moments, when under pressure. That's where I think the league comes into play. I don't think they're put in difficult situations enough.
I might be wrong and it might be they a bunch of weaklings but i can't see why.
I'm also not sure about the lack of experience.
As a club maybe, but as individual players, they have tons of matches at this level under their belt.