PSG | 2017-18 Performance Thread | Tuchel becomes coach on a two-year deal

Classical Mechanic

Nah, it's been the same. French clubs are doing alright in the EL for instance. Teams are playing at their level. PSG calibrated themselves for the CL but didn't raise for the occasion.
Juventus dominates the Serie A for so many years and they have done much better than PSG in the CL for the past 5-6 years.
It's all about preparing teams for the right moment to step up.
1 team doesn't make an entire league I am sorry
Not sure what you broader point is here. Only one French team got out of their CL group and they failed at the next round. It’s an abysmal year for the league at the highest level of European competition.

podurban2

We have posters with ”fifa experience” on this board now. The newbie system at its finest.

Pagh Wraith

Is anyone really surprised? Madrid were big favourites and it showed. Apart from the front three none of PSGs players would get into Real's starting XI.

Cannot believe Neymar went there. Utter waste of a career move. If you want to be regarded as one of footballs greats you have to play in England, Spain or possibly Italy

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
And the interesting part is that this super attack force that PSG have, was worth nothing against a great team like RM, because the team is so poorly balanced. I learned this long time ago while playing fifa on my ps :) A too offensive team will not score. None of the super trio scored in the first game and Cavani got a lucky deflection goal in the second game.
From a tactical perspective, the team is cut in two with a defensive central midfield, a very isolated Cavani, a lost M'bappé...

The full-back were poor for different reasons.

And the opposing team wasn't French.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Simple question : Do you think they're a better league from any aspect than Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga and Premier League ? These are the top leagues in Europe. Unless you're going to compare them the Portuguese league or something.
I think Ligue 1 is about on par with Bundesliga. The top 3 leagues are in Spain England and Italy. Then there are a few more decent leagues

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Not sure what you broader point is here. Only one French team got out of their CL group and they failed at the next round. It’s an abysmal year for the league at the highest level of European competition.
It's not. 1 team out of the group stages is the norm. Last season was anomaly with Monaco. If you look at the past 10-15 years not many times have 2 french made it past the group stages. This year is normal, PSG getting knocked out is normal

el3mel

I think Ligue 1 is about on par with Bundesliga. The top 3 leagues are in Spain England and Italy. Then there are a few more decent leagues
Competition wise maybe, popularity wise not a chance imo. How many outside France are willing to watch games in Ligue 1 ? How many supporters for PSG or any Ligue 1 team outside France ? Not many that's for sure. They're not as popular as Bundesliga.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Every year is abysmal with very few exceptions over a long period of time

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

It's not. 1 team out of the group stages is the norm. Last season was anomaly with Monaco. If you look at the past 10-15 years not many times have 2 french made it past the group stages. This year is normal, PSG getting knocked out is normal
Nice we’re knoxked out in the qualifiers, Monaco got 2 points in a weak group and PSG usually get to the quarters to be fair. Seems pretty awful to me. That said I don’t follow the French sides as much as you.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Competition wise maybe, popularity wise not a chance imo. How many outside France are willing to watch games in Ligue 1 ? How many supporters for PSG or any Ligue 1 team outside France ? Not many that's for sure. They're not as popular as Bundesliga.
You're moving goal posts now, "crap league" means crap marketing department? Sorry to be talking about football instead of what really matters (for you).

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Oh come on. For ages, we've been calling the PL a pretty non-competitive and poor league in comparison to the other top leagues and used evidence of their progression in the Champions League to back up these claims. The French league is significantly worse than the PL ever was. At least Chelsea won it in 2012 and City made the SF in 2016. Besides Monaco last season, no other French team has shown any level of competence at the biggest stage. It's a piss poor league. No one gives a toss about the Ukrainian whatever division and the Luxembourg first division. Most criticisms of any particular (*top*) league have always been relative, so lets stop pretending to be stupid here.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nice we’re knoxked out in the qualifiers, Monaco got 2 points in a weak group and PSG usually get to the quarters to be fair. Seems pretty awful to me. That said I don’t follow the French sides as much as you.
Monaco were relatively bad at the beginning of the season and they missed Sidibé, Lemar and Baldé for a lengthy period of time, they only started to gain some regularity at the end of 2017. Nice lost important and didn't really replace them but they are not the team behind PSG and Monaco, that's Lyon and Marseille who were in EL.

el3mel

You're moving goal posts now, "crap league" means crap marketing department? Sorry to be talking about football instead of what really matters (for you).
Sorry but you need to read the post I wrote just after the first post you quoted.

If you're the last one in the list of the other top leagues in Europe, does that mean it's a good one ? It's like coming sixth in a race that has 6 racers. Comparison should be with the other top leagues in Europe that everyone watch and I don't see French league stand a chance against them, either competition wise or popularity or both.
I didn't move goals. I mentioned both popularity and competition from start as the main criteria for a top league, and Ligue 1 lacks both.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, no I''m fine :lol: Do you remember this press conference?

La intensité wasn't visible against good teams, at the exception of Monaco and Marseille a couple of times.:lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I was actually surprised Unai got this season. You'd have thought not even managing to win the French league (even if it was an exceptional Monaco) would've been sackable offence on its own.

I assume there's no way he survives another early CL exit?

caid

Easy excuse. Monaco did fine last season.
Its a weird one but i think its kind of different.

Monaco had the same manager, coaching mostly the same players for a few years and it was a young team afaik. Their attitude from week to week kind of looked like they were just playing as hard as they can and see how far it would take them. PSG have a more mature and experienced team and there'll be games were they'll play in 2nd gear and do enough to get the win but its hard to go from that to playing at 100% every few weeks on demand.

Then PSG change manager every season or two and their formation and players are at least partly picked for them. The players blatantly have more power than any manager that comes in. The foundation for them to play as well as they need to and hit the heights required to win the CL aren't there. Having good players is only one piece of the puzzle.

Always felt we did better in the CL in years we were being challenged than in years we were strolling to a PL too tbh. Arsenal had a pretty great team in 99, Leeds were good too and both kept pace with us most of the season as far as i remember. 2008 Chelsea wouldn't go away and kept the league interesting up to the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I was actually surprised Unai got this season. You'd have thought not even managing to win the French league (even if it was an exceptional Monaco) would've been sackable offence on its own.

I assume there's no way he survives another early CL exit?
His contract runs out and won't be renewed.

Devil may care

This thread must hold the record for title changes.

I thought Real were comfortable tonight, even without Modric and Kroos, I was impressed with Kovacic and Asensio, both stepped up.

kouroux

How about you say nothing about this year being abysmal though ? It's the norm but you wanna be alarmist for some reason unknown to me.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Too much blame on the manager. The players weren't up for it tonight. You saw Thiago Silva being angry with the midfield for not tracking back properly. Verratti had a horrible game and crowned his performance with and early red card through sheer stupidity. Cavani clearly wasn't focused, mostly just annoyed. Rabiot was quite bad all around. Then you look at Madrid's 2nd goal, watch Pastore on that. Lucas Vasquez is like 10 meters behind him when he starts his run. He glides past Pastore who's in no hurry to defend and he gets a free opportunity to cross inside the box. When Casemiro takes the shot Pastore has just come into the box where he stands and watched, not close to the action.

Mbappé tried, Di Maria tried, Cavani always tries but he wasn't focused and Ramos was in beast mode which frustrated them even more. No Modric and no Kroos but PSG didn't manage to take control. They played better last year when Barcelona beat them. At least that was just a brainfart for a few minutes, they did create enough chances to finish that tie but this game there was nothing.

Real Madrid individually have a great starting defense and today they played as well as a team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
In before Pep Saint German.

kouroux

Too much blame on the manager. The players weren't up for it tonight. You saw Thiago Silva being angry with the midfield for not tracking back properly. Verratti had a horrible game and crowned his performance with and early red card through sheer stupidity. Cavani clearly wasn't focused, mostly just annoyed. Rabiot was quite bad all around. Then you look at Madrid's 2nd goal, watch Pastore on that. Lucas Vasquez is like 10 meters behind him when he starts his run. He glides past Pastore who's in no hurry to defend and he gets a free opportunity to cross inside the box. When Casemiro takes the shot Pastore has just come into the box where he stands and watched, not close to the action.

Mbappé tried, Di Maria tried, Cavani always tries but he wasn't focused and Ramos was in beast mode which frustrated them even more. No Modric and no Kroos but PSG didn't manage to take control. They played better last year when Barcelona beat them. At least that was just a brainfart for a few minutes, they did create enough chances to finish that tie but this game there was nothing.

Real Madrid individually have a great starting defense and today they played as well as a team.
Indeed, Pastore displayed some shocking tracking back and defending yesterday.

jetlee

I have to agree with those who say the top club mentality is totally missing from PSG players and manager. They had the convenient excuse in before the game and threw in the towel with the exception of 1 or 2 players before the start of the second game.
I'm afraid I have to put a lot of blame on Emery as well. His small team mentality game plan against Barca contributed hugely to one of the most embarrassing bottle jobs I have ever witnessed and this year his tactical decisions totally backfired at the Bernabeu. If Your team is not trained to defend properly and the players don't have a fighting mentality then never try playing backs to the wall defending.
He got lucky to be given a second chance with the PSG side, but made similar mistakes than last year.

AlwaysRed66

I am amazed the amount of flack Emery is getting on here, & the underestimation of his managerial skills. Mourinho & Man Utd won the Europa League last season, & both manager & fans seem to think this was a great achievement in the circumstances, getting back into the Champions League. Emery at Sevilla won the Europa League three consecutive years running, with a team, not being disrespectful, are hardly one of the leading lights in Europe. In the three years in charge got 5,5,7th in La Liga, comparable to us (Man Utd), which as we are always being told the La Liga is on par or better than the Premier League, so good achievement. Now he has failed to get a bunch of mercenaries, led by an indulgent Cry Baby, to Champions League glory the knives are out, with a long list of better managers to replace him. Or are they. Any manager coming in will still have to deal with a team of individual mercenaries, in a uncompetitive league, & unrealistic demands, so will they do any better, or would they want to try. I have my doubts.

perspective

Supports
Bayern München
Strong words.
He used even stronger words on German TV right after the game. Basically said he had no idea what Emery was thinking when he delayed his substitution after the 1-1.

el3mel

He used even stronger words on German TV right after the game. Basically said he had no idea what Emery was thinking when he delayed his substitution after the 1-1.
Think they all know that Emery is gone anyway so he decided to go on a rant. I can't fault him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Didn't Emerey take off Cavani in the 1st leg and Madrid dominated the game after that and scored 2 goals?

el3mel

Didn't Emerey take off Cavani in the 1st leg and Madrid dominated the game after that and scored 2 goals?
That was pretty idiotic. Basically telling Madrid he's settled for a draw and they can attack him if they want to score.