PSG - 2021/22 | French Spurs?

gorky_utd

It's double standards though. Real can spend 200m on a player but PSG can't refuse ?I have no soft spots towards Real since they have been doing this for years. Taste of their own medicine
Nor do I. But this will significantly reduce the chances that Pogba and Haaland moves there next season :D .

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
How would you lot rate Sarabia honestly?

You think he can be a big player for Sporting?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's not true, PSG totally controlled the 1sr half of the 1st game for exemple. If I was to count points like a boxing game, city won 2 halves, psg one and 1 draw. City scored some lucky goals especially the free kick. City was better overall but the scoreboard was deceiving.
So yeah, they controlled both legs with relative ease. 1 half in 4 is basically irrelevant

It's double standards though. Real can spend 200m on a player but PSG can't refuse ?I have no soft spots towards Real since they have been doing this for years. Taste of their own medicine
This. I don't understand why some are basically blaming PSG for refusing this amount of cash. They simply don't need it

SportingCP96

Supports
Dunno, but he's good. Spain international
I don’t like the fact it’s only a loan but if he can be a BIG player here then I guess it works.

I just don’t see it ..

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
How would you lot rate Sarabia honestly?

You think he can be a big player for Sporting?
Sarabia can be very good if used properly. Before Psg got him he scored more than 20 goals and 20 assist in spain but mostly played like a n°10 or false 9.

SportingCP96

Supports
Sarabia can be very good if used properly. Before Psg got him he scored more than 20 goals and 20 assist in spain but mostly played like a n°10 or false 9.
What position did he play in PSG?

I wonder if he will play a similar role to Pote at Sporting

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This. I don't understand why some are basically blaming PSG for refusing this amount of cash. They simply don't need it
That's the issue they have with it.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think Real is stupid for (allegedly?) bidding €200m. PSG refusing it? They are a state funded PR-vehicle. Money doesn’t mean a thing to them.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think Real is stupid for (allegedly?) bidding €200m. PSG refusing it? They are a state funded PR-vehicle. Money doesn’t mean a thing to them.
It is nothing for them, but that's what is bothering people about it, and it makes complete sense to me, I'm just here enjoying the ride until the wheels fall off at this point.

Idxomer

People would like them to pretend they're a normal club, what they've done this window has been farcical on every level.

EtH

And rightly so ? When a club can turn down €200m for a player with less than a year on his contract who is deadset on leaving without so much as a blink it kind of draws a line under the farce that said club is and the farce that the game is becoming due to said club.

I also find it extremely shady that Perez would even make such offers knowing he can have the lad in less than a year for free. Football is supposed to be a welcome distraction from serious matters such as politics, but obviously Mr. Perez can’t separate the two in dealing with PSG.

And no fan should be able to either… be it PSG, City or Chelsea. If God forbid the Saudis would have purchased United, I would’ve simply quit watching football. There are more important things in life than supporting and pretending like your football club isn’t a sportwashing facade for an evil, murderous, oppressive and radical regime.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It is nothing for them, but that's what is bothering people about it, and it makes complete sense to me, I'm just here enjoying the ride until the wheels fall off at this point.
Sorry, wasn’t a dig at you.
It‘s just frustrating that teams are economically struggling due to the covid impact and here comes Qatar and simply buys an „all star“ team. Feck them

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
How exactly ?
They had one of the top 3 teams in Europe already, didn't sell anyone of note and signed Donnarumma, Hakimi, Ramos, Mendes, Wijnaldum and Messi which is half of a world class team on its own.

It's unlike anything that's ever happened in football. Just because a few of those were free agents doesn't mean that the cost wasn't very high regardless.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Having lived in Paris and watched PSG games when Nene was a joy to watch and Sessegnon too, the club had a soul. Used to travel down from Epinay to the Parc and although they weren't as strong, it was a special team to follow, but then ever since the Qataris took over, it's been money money money, they turned the club into a startup and pumped venture capital into it in form of oil money and it feels like a project rather than a football club, kind of lost what connects it to the city and it's lifelong fans. If United or Feyenoord ever got taken over like this, I'd struggle with it. Rejecting 200m is absurd, even if they don't need it. I don't want to step on the toes of PSG fans on here but the ones I know agree but they love their club too much that they just had to accept it till it all eventually ends.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Sorry, wasn’t a dig at you.
It‘s just frustrating that teams are economically struggling due to the covid impact and here comes Qatar and simply buys an „all star“ team. Feck them
I don't take attacks on PSG as personal, no worries. I get it. :)

I just see this as an insane time in the club's history that's going to explode spectacularly at some point and in the meantime I'm here watching the fireworks with a big, dumb smile on my face.

Alain-

And rightly so ? When a club can turn down €200m for a player with less than a year on his contract who is deadset on leaving without so much as a blink it kind of draws a line under the farce that said club is and the farce that the game is becoming due to said club. I also find it extremely shady that Perez would even make such offers knowing he can have the lad in less than a year for free. Football is supposed to be a welcome distraction from serious matters such as politics, but obviously Mr. Perez can’t separate the two in dealing with PSG. And no fan should be able to either… be it PSG, City or Chelsea. If God forbid the Saudis would have purchased United, I would’ve simply quit watching football. There are more important things in life than supporting and pretending like your football club isn’t a sportwashing facade for an evil, murderous, oppressive and radical regime.
You have to stop with these 200 or 220 m ... Real's only official proposal was 160m + 10m. Which makes 160 + we don't know the criteria of the bonus - 35m for Monaco = 130m
I remember seeing a twitt from 1 Bayern board's member: "It will be funny if PSG accept ... curious to see if they can pay .."

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Turning down €200m for Mbappe with one year left is totally farcical. Offering it in the first place even more so. Makes you wonder what could possibly encourage Perez to offer so much...? What is he worried about if they simply sign a pre contract with him in January for 0.00 transfer fee?

We have the rule of law in Europe, right?

PSG owners are basically daring Mbappe to leave for free. Wondering what kind of pressure going to be put down on him to sign again...

Idxomer

They had one of the top 3 teams in Europe already, didn't sell anyone of note and signed Donnarumma, Hakimi, Ramos, Mendes, Wijnaldum and Messi which is half of a world class team on its own.

It's unlike anything that's ever happened in football. Just because a few of those were free agents doesn't mean that the cost wasn't very high regardless.
Mainly this plus rejecting the money Madrid was willing to throw for Mbappe.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't take attacks on PSG as personal, no worries. I get it. :)

I just see this as an insane time in the club's history that's going to explode spectacularly at some point and in the meantime I'm here watching the fireworks with a big, dumb smile on my face.
Yeah, I hear you. I‘d wave my club goodbye should Qatar/UAE/SA take them over but I understand the struggle for the supporters who had been there before.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Turning down €200m for Mbappe with one year left is totally farcical. Offering it in the first place even more so. Makes you wonder what could possibly encourage Perez to offer so much...? What is he worried about if they simply sign a pre contract with him in January for 0.00 transfer fee?

We have the rule of law in Europe, right?

PSG owners are basically daring Mbappe to leave for free. Wondering what kind of pressure going to be put down on him to sign again...
Yeah, I don't think that will work out well for PSG to hope Mbappe would feel pressured to sign again. He'll sign if he feels like it, but I think he's going somewhere, I'm just not convinced it's Madrid and for all their bravado, I'm not even sure they're convinced either, otherwise there wouldn't be these increased bids.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, I don't think that will work out well for PSG to hope Mbappe would feel pressured to sign again. He'll sign if he feels like it, but I think he's going somewhere, I'm just not convinced it's Madrid and for all their bravado, I'm not even sure they're convinced either, otherwise there wouldn't be these increased bids.
For real madrid, it's a simple matter of we have the money, no reason not to spend it. Signing Mbappé now would be huge mediatically, in terms of image, it would have galvanized the club and fanbase, and most important of all, given us a far better chance of winning either the league or CL

For PSG, it's also a simple matter of not needing the money, so it makes no sense to sell one of their 3 best players at the end of the window, no matter the offer. Money doesn't go on the pitch afterall

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
For real madrid, it's a simple matter of we have the money, no reason not to spend it. Signing Mbappé now would be huge mediatically, in terms of image, it would have galvanized the club and fanbase, and most important of all, given us a far better chance of winning either the league or CL

For PSG, it's also a simple matter of not needing the money, so it makes no sense to sell one of their 3 best players at the end of the window, no matter the offer. Money doesn't go on the pitch afterall
What, Camavinga is not doing it for you? ;)

I understand having the money so why not spend it, but you can't tell me it's a smart move. There's no amount of galvanizing the club, marketing, jersey sales, etc that will justify spending 200m + insane wages on a player that is 100% coming to you next season and can be locked into that as early as January 1st. Knowing he's not the only player your club has eyes spending money on, that extra 200m could be better spent, one 'lost' season is a small price to pay for what Madrid could accomplish afterwards.

PSG is in the same boat, there's no legitimate reason for them to turn it down, but they are because they can and the prospect of MNM is more interesting than 200m, and that's what's making this transfer window so entertaining to me (beyond the obvious reasons), just how ridiculous this whole saga is in the face of worldwide financial struggles, it's so out of touch it's almost comedic, only made better by the doom and gloom of Florentino Perez a few months ago crying a river about not being able to afford players like Mbappe or Haaland.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What, Camavinga is not doing it for you? ;)

I understand having the money so why not spend it, but you can't tell me it's a smart move. There's no amount of galvanizing the club, marketing, jersey sales, etc that will justify spending 200m + insane wages on a player that is 100% coming to you next season and can be locked into that as early as January 1st. Knowing he's not the only player your club has eyes spending money on, that extra 200m could be better spent.
It's not an extra 200m though. His wages will be significantly higher now. Realistically, we're likely talking a difference of €50-70M. For one extra year of Mbappé, that's well worth it

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's not an extra 200m though. His wages will be significantly higher now. Realistically, we're likely talking a difference of €50-70M. For one extra year of Mbappé, that's well worth it
I'm sure he'll take some advantage of that, but I don't think the difference will be as big as you think, he doesn't have one of those money-hungry agent (clearly given the contracts he's turning down), he doesn't even have an agent, and his family is reasonable. I think he'll want to have as strong of a team around him as possible. Any deal of this size would be in installments anyways, so even 200m is not 200m taken right away, but it's a big chunk and that signing on fee is another big chunk regardless of what Madrid paid to PSG, that's more upfront costs that take away from the ability to make moves in the coming transfer windows than if you take a bigger hit on his wages and signing on fee a year later I would imagine, but I'm no expert.

I see your point, but I don't know if I agree with the numbers, and if it does work out and Mbappe goes to Madrid for a free, I think they'll be much better off than if somehow this deal gets done in the next hour and a half.

alexthelion

Pochettino always build a monster of a team wherever he goes. Even at a limited budget at Spurs, he did that. Now with an unlimited budget, Pochettino is building an iconic team. What an Amazing manager and this acquisition of Mendes is another typically poch signing.

Now he just need to find the right balance, especially in the midfield. Everyone keep praising PSG attack, but all their attacker do not put in the industry when they have to defend. Pochettino need to make sure that most of their game, they are on the front foot and requires little defensive support from their attackers.

If luck is on Pochettino side, he should make the semi final of the champion league this season
:boring:

You're getting boring now, Mama Pochettino.

CL semi final? With that team he should walk it.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They're loaning us Pablo Sarabia for a season and will pay the entirity of his wages according to the portuguese media. There was definitely some dodgy stuff in this Nuno Mendes transfer to make the price seem lower than it is. 7 million for the loan + 40 million buy option + a season of Pablo Sarabia for free

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

It still would cost less overall than if they had to pay transfer fees for each of them (if all of them had at least 1 year left on their contract for instance).
I dislike PSG but they cannot be blamed for a system that's allowing them to do that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm sure he'll take some advantage of that, but I don't think the difference will be as big as you think, he doesn't have one of those money-hungry agent (clearly given the contracts he's turning down), he doesn't even have an agent, and his family is reasonable. I think he'll want to have as strong of a team around him as possible. Any deal of this size would be in installments anyways, so even 200m is not 200m taken right away, but it's a big chunk and that signing on fee is another big chunk regardless of what Madrid paid to PSG, that's more upfront costs that take away from the ability to make moves in the coming transfer windows than if you take a bigger hit on his wages and signing on fee a year later I would imagine, but I'm no expert.

I see your point, but I don't know if I agree with the numbers, and if it does work out and Mbappe goes to Madrid for a free, I think they'll be much better off than if somehow this deal gets done in the next hour and a half.
Why? If we have this kind of money to sign him, why should Mbappé accept less? If we go into negotiations asking him to take less so we can sign more players, that's not a very encouraging look now is it...

He has no reason to accept the same wages that are on offer now. It's not like we can't or won't offer him more either

We'll see. There's also the rather big worry that PSG will be so good this season it will convince him to stay. Figure the qataris are banking on that as well

::sonny::

Elephant cemetery, + each player will arrive to the training pitch with his own helicopter

Chekov

Supports
Internazionale
PSG is clearly favourites for the CL this season. I hope a team like Bayern Munich or some non-oil club takes it but PSG if they keep Mbappe is clear favourites for the CL in my opinion. Messi - Mbappe - Neymar are levels above competition. And they have great defense aswell. Add Donnarumma as goalkeeper. PSG got the strongest starting 11 of all teams but they're a new team so no machine and mechanics yet. But surely PSG has the strongest starting 11 of all teams in Europe.

SinNombre

You realise they'd have to pay those wages regardless of them paying a fee or not right?
You do realize that you have to pay significantly higher wages and agent fees and signing bonuses on “free” transfers.

Or have you been living in a cave for the last decade?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Only added about €140m in annual wages, and god knows how much in agent fees and signing bonuses.
Every single football club in the world is envious of that transfer window, get real.