PSG - 2021/22 | French Spurs?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:boring:

You're getting boring now, Mama Pochettino.

CL semi final? With that team he should walk it.
Cup completions are never that simple. While I definitely think Pochettino has been disappointing at PSG , whichever way you look it he lost the league with PSG, but when it comes to the CL, personally I never think not winning it especially in the short term (2 years etc) is ever a failure. Which is why for clubs like PSG, Juve (earlier), Bayern etc who walk their it's tricky as the league title is not considered an achievement and public perception completely rests on a cup completion where a lot of things can go wrong (as we've seen under SAF ourselves with bad luck or otherwise).

Also I don't think PSG just by having three great players in attack are a standout team in the CL. I'd fancy City to beat them as they are a better collective, who have had more time under a clearly superior manager. Then there's Bayern who are again collectively so good and have a winning pedigree which the two oil clubs lack.

SinNombre

Every single football club in the world is envious of that transfer window, get real.
Only oil funded clubs can increase their wage bill by 50% in Covid times with no repercussions ffs

Calling them “free” doesn’t make them so, it only shows the farcical nature of those.

gorky_utd

PSG are so bad that they somehow make city look like a proper football club :lol: .

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
I hate to admit it, but in terms of squad building, it's almost a perfect window. They are probably one CM away from having 2 title contender teams :
Team 1:
Navas
Hakimi,Ramos,Marquinhos, Mendes
Wijnaldum, Gueye, Verratti
Messi, Mbappe, Neymar

Team 2:
Donnaruma
Kehrer,Kimpembe,Diallo,Bernat
Ebimbe, Herrera, Paredes
Di Maria, Icardi, Draxler

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I hate to admit it, but in terms of squad building, it's almost a perfect window. They are probably one CM away from having 2 title contender teams :
Team 1:
Navas
Messi, Mbappe, Neymar

Team 2:
Donnaruma
Ebimbe, Herrera, Paredes
Do you really think that backline and midfield can carry the front three, defensively? Can see Ramos getting exposed big time in the CL. People just see the name Ramos and remember his best form.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Turning down €200m for Mbappe with one year left is totally farcical. Offering it in the first place even more so. Makes you wonder what could possibly encourage Perez to offer so much...? What is he worried about if they simply sign a pre contract with him in January for 0.00 transfer fee?
Here is my guess: he knows if Mbappe does not leave now there is a huge chance he renews his contract.

Jibbs

I hope we face them in knockout round and knock them off champions league... It will be epic. I have started to hate them as much as City.

RoyH1

Here is my guess: he knows if Mbappe does not leave now there is a huge chance he renews his contract.
This. PSG gets them to sign. Every time. The money is too much and then there’s the convenient bad stories in the press (with Neymar it was rape accusations and with Verratti his dads business deal). By November Mbappe will have resigned a new deal. Otherwise they will make him sit out the season.

TheLiverBird

I agree with you, unfortunately that's the way football has gone. England's heading that way too, but the massive income coming from TV rights helps slow down City's wave, but they're now at 3 out of 4 and let's see how the rest of the season develops. United is not too far off and maybe Liverpool as well but City is a clear favorite every season as well. Lille's win last season was remarkable because they lost only 3 games all season, but any champion that's not PSG in France gets immediately plundered like Lille or Monaco did, often times by English or Spanish clubs, England doesn't deal with that so that's another big advantage to keep the competition going but I share your sentiment.
English EPL has been talked about going that way for a long time especially with City and their Billions

Yet here we are in 2021 where there are 4 possible and realistic title contenders

Man City
Liverpool
Man Utd
Chelsea

now we can debate the realistic chances of each team but it remains a fact that these are the 4 teams widely talked about as the major contenders

with some exciting squads behind them with a chance of entering the fold to maybe not necessarily go for the title but certainly perhaps try and knock 1 possibly 2 of the 4 mentioned teams out of the top 4

how is that remotely going the direction of other elite leagues?

the competition is more fierce than ever before

where as there is no competition in other leagues comparable imo

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
A better team with peak MSN only won one treble.

Trebles aren't a given.
So many other teams are weakened, the Spanish giants aren't what they used to be, and for the amount of investment, of course the CL is a must for them this year, especially given how close they've come before.

RoyH1

English EPL has been talked about going that way for a long time especially with City and their Billions

Yet here we are in 2021 where there are 4 possible and realistic title contenders

Man City
Liverpool
Man Utd
Chelsea

now we can debate the realistic chances of each team but it remains a fact that these are the 4 teams widely talked about as the major contenders

with some exciting squads behind them with a chance of entering the fold to maybe not necessarily go for the title but certainly perhaps try and knock 1 possibly 2 of the 4 mentioned teams out of the top 4

I disagree. La Liga is a three horse race with Sevilla not far behind. It might not be as sexy as the top 4 in England, but it's still miles more competitive than the annual Bayern coronation or PSG's walk of La Ligue this year.

TheLiverBird

I disagree. La Liga is a three horse race with Sevilla not far behind. It might not be as sexy as the top 4 in England, but it's still miles more competitive than the annual Bayern coronation or PSG's walk of La Ligue this year.
True, I was more aiming towards Bundesliga and Ligue 1, La Liga is quite ahead of those 2 leagues for sure competition wise

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG has to be viewed as a welcome outside challenging the old established order stating that only English, Spanish, German and Italian clubs are allowed to win the Champions League.

PSG is also a gracious Club that injects money into the system, enabling the labour work force to decently live and contributing to the wealth of the UEFA/FIFA and clubs.

PSG is also a blessing for French farmers who can discover world-class footballers, and historical winning clubs that have to reinvent themselves.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Team 1:
Navas
Messi, Mbappe, Neymar

Team 2:
Donnaruma
Ebimbe, Herrera, Paredes
It looks great on paper, but the problem with team 1 though? It might be too old and inbalanced.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
PSG has to be viewed as a welcome outside challenging the old established order stating that only English, Spanish, German and Italian clubs are allowed to win the Champions League.

PSG is also a gracious Club that injects money into the system, enabling the labour work force to decently live and contributing to the wealth of the UEFA/FIFA and clubs.

PSG is also a blessing for French farmers who can discover world-class footballers, and historical winning clubs that have to reinvent themselves.
Wow, didn't realise how far ahead Qatar were in their sport washing. Got the French eating out of their hands. Literally in this case.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you really think that backline and midfield can carry the front three, defensively? Can see Ramos getting exposed big time in the CL. People just see the name Ramos and remember his best form.
Not much of a risk there, his body appears to be breaking down for good
This. PSG gets them to sign. Every time. The money is too much and then there’s the convenient bad stories in the press (with Neymar it was rape accusations and with Verratti his dads business deal). By November Mbappe will have resigned a new deal. Otherwise they will make him sit out the season.
Freezing out Mbappé is just not done. Even PSG can't afford it, no superstar will ever take them seriously again

RoyH1

Not much of a risk there, his body appears to be breaking down for good

Freezing out Mbappé is just not done. Even PSG can't afford it, no superstar will ever take them seriously again
I don't know Giorno. These guys don't operate like any other owner I know off. As long as they can outbid anyone and everyone, give the agent their huge fat comission and live without any fear of sanction or repercussion from UEFA, they just might do it if cash doesn't get it done.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Only oil funded clubs can increase their wage bill by 50% in Covid times with no repercussions ffs

Calling them “free” doesn’t make them so, it only shows the farcical nature of those.
Psg is definitely dodgy in their dealings, but they had the best transfer window ever. Beyond insane. However, it will be CL or bust for them with that squad

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
A drop in the ocean, but a humongous piss all over FFP :lol:
FFP has been dead for a while now, and PSG know this. If push comes to shove, they'll just come up with a massive sponsorship deal with a company connected one way or another to Qatar, that PSG fans will defend saying it's fair value. Meh.

romufc

A drop in the ocean, but a humongous piss all over FFP :lol:
As soon as City won that case against UEFA, it was clear that FFP died. When state backed clubs know that they can exploit the rules it makes it easy for them.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
FFP has been dead for a while now, and PSG know this. If push comes to shove, they'll just come up with a massive sponsorship deal with a company connected one way or another to Qatar, that PSG fans will defend saying it's fair value. Meh.

As soon as City won that case against UEFA, it was clear that FFP died. When state backed clubs know that they can exploit the rules it makes it easy for them.
100% agree with both of you. It's dancing on FFP's grave and they full well know they can get away with it

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Man City
Liverpool
Man Utd
Chelsea

Because it's a slower process for England due to how huge the TV rights money is for every team, so of course the transition is going to be slower, but we can already see hints of it. City has won 3 of the last 4 (and I still think very likely to make it 4 out of 5 but let's see). You're right though, this is such a juicy season for the PL because there are challengers everywhere, I'd say right now with what's going on with La Liga, they may be heading towards more competition themselves (at least for this season until Madrid goes thermonuclear on the transfer market). But I still think the PL is a fancy 1-horse league for the last few years. Maybe Chelsea/United can get something, which does make it more exciting than other leagues but I think it's going to be the Dortmund/Bayern dynamic where as we get through the season you realize they're not a real challenge over the course of a season. That being said, even a 1-horse league can be lost, see Juventus/PSG.

With that being said, I still think there's hope for England because with the insane money every team gets (in comparison to other leagues), you just have to make the right moves, the right transfer and maybe for a season you can still surprise everybody (see Leicester, who continue to make such shrewd moves and find gems). It's definitely the most interesting league this season along with Spain to follow along and I think it will remain that way for some time, but I have a hard time seeing it escape the same fate down the line, so let's enjoy it while it lasts.

romufc

100% agree with both of you. It's dancing on FFP's grave and they full well know they can get away with it
Well you only have to look at the name on the UEFA executive committee - Nasser Al-Khelaifi

https://www.ecaeurope.com/about-eca...mmittee is,member elected by European Leagues.

I also remember when the super league stuff happened, when clubs started pulling out, Uefa tweeted to City saying how they look forward to working closely with City in the future.

Alain-

The Old good time..
It reminds me of 1956 when Real took Kopa from Reims by multiplying his salary by 10 ...
The Emir of Reims could not do anything

Redlyn

So by when do we expect PSG to secure the league this season? February?
Its going to be an absolute procession since they've gotten stronger, Lille seems to have run out of steam and there's no one else who can even pretend to challenge.