g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PSG's Nasser Al-Khelaifi appointed onto UEFA Executive Committee

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I don't know what you're all moaning about. With all these conflicts of interest I'd say the guy is over qualified to be a member of the UEFA Executive Committee

Waynne

Is football the most corrupt organisation in the world?
This is not worrying. It's been like this for decades.

The worrying thing is that nothing is getting done about it.

Patrick08

With all the ethics tossed out of footballs top body it is a matter of time the saudis enter football soon as well.

snk123

Knee jerk reaction because people here think like: arab name + high position = corruption.

The committee already had David Gill - this guy replaces Ivan Gazidis.. Was there no conflict of interest before?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What does it matter anyway? All we can do is be outraged on the internets

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
With all the ethics tossed out of footballs top body it is a matter of time the saudis enter football soon as well.
Indeed. One day some club is bound to form a strategic partnership with the Saudi government.

Grande

Knee jerk reaction because people here think like: arab name + high position = corruption.

The committee already had David Gill - this guy replaces Ivan Gazidis.. Was there no conflict of interest before?
I think you confuse what others think with what someone who don’t think think. It’s more like this: owner investigated for corruption + position in body incestigating corrupt owners = conflict of interest.

Putting David Gill in there is only confusing.

RedDevil@84

No big deal. The Saudis have entered loads of businesses. Social media apps, startups, electronic products and stuff we use on a daily basis already have Saudi investments in one way or another.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Is football the most corrupt organisation in the world?
I love football, but somehow i hope it will die out anytime in future. It can't be how it is these days. Many fans will turn their back on this sport.

hobbers

Put guy investigated for corruption in job where he has to investigate corruption.

It's just like using hackers to hack other hackers. Genius level stuff.

Mick321

What the feck? Nothing to do with where he’s from or his skin colour, more to do with the fact him and his club have quite clearly never given a feck about Uefas FFP rules and don’t care who knows it. They got a pitiful punishment from uefa for it and now he’s got a job there, it stinks.

Patrick08

What the feck? Nothing to do with where he’s from or his skin colour, more to do with the fact him and his club have quite clearly never given a feck about Uefas FFP rules and don’t care who knows it. They got a pitiful punishment from uefa for it and now he’s got a job there, it stinks.
Can influence investigations too I think.

RoyH1

This is a story from the Onion right?
:houllier:

That was exactly the first thing I thought when I saw the news. This kind of absurdity is just becoming more and more common.

My mate keeps on saying that at one point in 2016 we entered a parallel timeline where bizarro shit is the norm. I'm starting to believe that he has a point.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I for one am desperately disappointed. I had high hopes that when <enter faceless corrupt official’s name here> was elected UEFA President, that everything would be different.

Josep Dowling

I love football, but somehow i hope it will die out anytime in future. It can't be how it is these days. Many fans will turn their back on this sport.
This has been said for years though yet here we are with ever increasing TV deals, attendances and transfers. Fans are too loyal to walk away that’s the major issue here.

In any other walks of life if a business treated you with such contempt it would have no customers and die.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I have always considered PSG and City as welcome clubs in the European competitive landscape.

The duopoly Barcelona/Real Madrid won 7 out of the last 10 Champions League. Bayern Munich reached the final 3 times, Juventus and Manchester United 2 times each while France only won two times a European trophy in its history. So, I can understand why a lot of people look at PSG with very jaundiced eyes.

It just makes smile to present PSG as a club that corrupts the Beautiful Game while the reality is that:

- the club injects money in the business for the benefit of all the other clubs by overpaying sometimes but not always though
- the club won nothing at the European level since Qatar bought the club in 2011

Champions League Winners

2017-18 Real Madrid Liverpool 3-1
2016-17 Real Madrid Juventus 4-1
2015-16 Real Madrid Atlético Madrid 1-1 (5–3)
2014-15 Barcelona Juventus 3-1
2013-14 Real Madrid Atlético Madrid 4-1
2012-13 Bayern Munich Borussia Dortmund 2-1
2011-12 Chelsea Bayern Munich 1-1 (4–3)
2010-11 Barcelona Manchester United 3-1
2009-10 Internazionale Bayern Munich 2-0
2008-09 Barcelona Manchester United 2-0

Bundesliga winners

2012: Dortmund
2013: Bayern Munich
2014: Bayern Munich
2015: Bayern Munich
2016: Bayern Munich
2017: Bayern Munich
2018: Bayern Munich

Ligue 1 champions

2002: Lyon
2003: Lyon
2004: Lyon
2005: Lyon
2006: Lyon
2007: Lyon
2008: Lyon
2013: PSG
2014: PSG
2015: PSG
2016: PSG
2017: Monaco
2018: PSG

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The thing that I don't get about this outrage is that the ECA picked him, the biggest clubs on earth picked him to represent them at UEFA level. I find it very difficult to be outraged when the clubs and their executives have no issue with El Khelaifi.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well, he's being elected by ECA, so, yeah, it's the big european clubs he bribed, not UEFA :D

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Well, he's being elected by ECA, so, yeah, it's the big european clubs he bribed, not UEFA :D
For example, PSG has excellent relationship with Celtic Glasgow: Osdonne Edouard has been loaned and then sold to Celtic Glasgow, and Weah has also been loaned this winter.

Another strategy is to fund rival clubs. Qatar Airways was the sponsor of Barcelona and is now the new sponsor of Bayern.:devil:

Florentino Perez knows Qatar is important regarding his business in the construction sector.

Last edited:

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
The thing that I don't get about this outrage is that the ECA picked him, the biggest clubs on earth picked him to represent them at UEFA level. I find it very difficult to be outraged when the clubs and their executives have no issue with El Khelaifi.
I would have no issue to pick him either if he pays me 7 digits.

JPRouve

Scout
I would have no issue to pick him either if he pays me 7 digits.
Then you are the problem. The ECA only care about sustainability, they don't give a damn about sugar daddies and who signs the cheques as long as commitments are fulfilled and that debts aren't left by owners. In the end @Revan is right, there is a divide between what people imagine and what clubs actually want.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wonder how easy it would be for all the big clubs to walk away and make their own competition. UEFA and FIFA seem have more powers than government.
The worry there would be the super league plans. But of course, a lot of the big clubs must be looking at ways to challenge the City/PSG corruption model.

Think this is maybe where things need to be addressed:

Shameless

How are they not accountable?. Can we get the EU on it?

JohnnyKills

The worry there would be the super league plans. But of course, a lot of the big clubs must be looking at ways to challenge the City/PSG corruption model.

Think this is maybe where things need to be addressed:
Agree. If PSG and City start to dominate I can see the others walking away. It's not like they're a major part of the European football story are they?!

JPRouve

Scout
Agree. If PSG and City start to dominate I can see the others walking away. It's not like they're a major part of the European football story are they?!
PSG were a pretty big European club in the 80s and 90s, a super league would be done through the biggest member of the ECA who are the ones that named Al Khelaifi as their representant. If the big clubs organize a super league PSG and City will be in it without the beginning of a doubt.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Stade de Reims reached two times the final of the European Cup in the 1950s.

Real Madrid reached its first final in 1956, Manchester United in 1968, Juventus in 1973, Bayern Munich in 1974, Liverpool in 1977, Porto in 1987 and Dortmund in 1997.

Times change...

Mick321

Young should have been sent off first half too. The ref was woeful but for both teams.