Puzzling transfer dealings we have made in the past decade

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think buying a player that doesn’t really want to come here for a manager who can’t really use him qualifies as a major mistake.
Was our top assister and barely played half a season.

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I don't think it was a mistake to buy him.

We just couldn't make it work like we should have. I'm not sure we really gave him the support we needed.

dcrompton

IDK about that one. I know City were after Sanchez but considering his form the last year or so with Arsenal and how bad he looked with us I think Sanchez was well and truly past it, IIRC wasn't Matic shit the last season with Chelsea as well?
Do you not think Sanchez would better his United record of 3 premier league goals in 43 appearances at City? Would Matic not be better with Van Dijk behind him over Maguire, threading balls through to Mane and Salah rather than Dan James or Rashford?

It’s not a coincidence that all our signings post Fergie have either failed or not improved whereas practically all Liverpool’s signings flourish.

Tarrou

Funny enough we wouldn’t look worse off if we never signed anyone since LVG.

DDG
?? Blind. Jones/Smalling. Shaw

Herrera. Parreira

Rashford. Lingard. Depay

Martial

This team hasn’t improved much since then if at all.
this team is utter shit and way worse than the current side

Abraxas

Most of these weren't that puzzling at the time from a fans viewpoint, it's only the benefit of hindsight that is causing people to throw out many of these names.

Even Sanchez, arguably our worst value for money signing. We had a few dissenting voices, but the vast majority were excited for his arrival and didn't expect the downward trend that started at Arsenal to continue. A mere change of scenery required.

The problem is, we pay scouts and whoever is involved in recruitment to be the best in class. So our superficial assessments don't really matter, whereas these guys simply have to get it right as if their job depends on it. Because it should do.

The other part to it is when you assess the signings, they're a lot worse as a sum of their parts than as individuals. Some of them sound fantastic. Zlatan, Falcao, Di Maria, Sanchez. But what has been the overarching thought that connects all our signings? That's a question.

Grande

Was our top assister and barely played half a season.

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I don't think it was a mistake to buy him.

We just couldn't make it work like we should have. I'm not sure we really gave him the support we needed.
You might be right. But I suspect due diligence was not done. Hindsight is easier than prescience for anybody, but when scouts and a manager cooperate about finding ideal candidates, I think it’s allowed to expect more. Of course, bad luck comes into it, but when most buys don’t pan out, I start to suspect it was the method that was flawed more than the fates that were cruel.

I was as excited about Di Maria as anybody at the time, though.

The Irish Connection

The way we dither so much with transfers. The Moyes summer was shambolic. The Amad signing was odd. He cost more than Dan James and looks way off.

The Herrera transfer. That whole thing was incompetent. Fake lawyers and whatnot. And he cost 36m which was too much.

The list is long.

We don’t do enough in nearly every window.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Darmian, Telles, Dalot…we seem to love signing fullbacks who have absolutely zero top qualities - average in everything. I swear Darmian, Dalot and Telles could actually be the same fecking player. What do our scouts actually judge players on?

Skills

Snitch
To me the biggest failure of our transfer strategy has been that we become way, way too fixated on single targets. We don't cast a wide enough net or look for opportunity in the market when it presents itself.

Most of that, is because the transfer strategy for each summer is driven purely by the managers need. Which in the modern market, is a poor strategy. Players are extremely expensive commodities at the moment, and we can't control who's going to become available in a given summer. So we need to constantly be on the lookout for value.

ole@thewheel

I think it’s fair to say we’ve had quite a few missteps in the transfer market in the last decade - but there are two, maybe three, I just can’t understand:

- signing Matic over Fabinho
- signing Sanchez over Mahrez

I guess the other one would be the 80 million of the queen’s finest that we paid for Maguire, but those two make me feel sick.

Fabinho had been quoted in interviews stating he wanted to come - he’s quality was a known quantity - yes he hadn’t played in the prem previously but his ability was easily verifiable - the guy was a sought out player for a reason. In contrast, Matic was on a downward slide. I’ve just read a MEN article that says Mourinho wanted Dier or Matic ahead of Fabinho. God.

Similar situation with Mahrez - we‘ve been lacking a RW for eons, Mahrez was core to Leicester title win - great dribbling and creative ability, fast - I think he was 26 or 27 at the time, about to enter his prime - meanwhile Sanchez was like two years older and again, on a downward trend. He also operated more as a second striker - at times striker - or on the left - not on the right, from what I recall. I know it was a swap deal with Mkhitaryan going the other way, but still

to make matters worse, Fabinho and Mahrez ended up going to direct rivals - who are now the best teams in the country and arguably Europe - and have been performing for years. Sickening stuff.

which deals have we made - post Ferguson - that you can’t quite comprehend or at the very least make you sick - colloquialism - when you think about what is/what could have been?

for clarification - I’m approaching it from a “at the time” point of view, and although most stances will be partially informed by hindsight - I’m mostly interested on what people thought back then when these dealings were happening/about to happen
Let see.

20/21- Considerably better transfer season, yet we did not address our main issue (central midfield)
20/19- VDB looked good at the time. We got a lb backup, two young RMs and Cavani. RM position was not sorted and still no DM signing
19/20- Went big that year. Maguire + AWB for £130 millions & Bruno.
18/19- Fred for £50m. Dalot
17/18- Went big that year. Lukaku,Matic,Lindelof + Sanchez. All first team signings.
16/17 - Very Raiola year. Pogba, Mkhi, Bailly + Ibra
15/16- LVG business. Martial, Schneiderlin, Depay, Darmian, Schweinsteiger. Started the season without a proven striker.
14/15- Woodward business. Di Maria, Rojo, Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Falcao
13/14 - Mata, Fellaini.

We had very uncoordinated recruiting during Woodward time. He obviously mostly was disconnected with the managers on that (see 14/15) and was influenced by the agents a lot (see 16/17).

This resulted in a very unbalanced team (only 2 DMs signed in 10 years Matic, Schneiderlin) and rushed signings (Fellaini, Amad+Pellistri, Falcao).

Also he was not good at negotiation obviously (see Fred, Maguire).

Verdict:

Everything about our last 10 years transfers was puzzling.

Above in bold the worst examples for every season.

Last edited:
And Liverpool signed Keïta for more money than Chelsea paid for Jorginho, the same Summer.

Chelsea paid more for Arrizabalaga than Liverpool did for Alisson, the same Summer.

City signed Mendy for 6 times what Liverpool paid for Robertson, the same Summer.

Spurs bought Ndombélé over Fernandes.

You could go on and on. Most of those players, Fabinho and Mahrez for example, would've turned to utter shite here, when will some of you learn?

MichaelRed

Over the last 10 years?

Fellaini for £4m more than his release clause because we didn't want him and waited for the clause to expire.
Mata for £40m when we played with out and out wingers and no number 10.
Di Maria when LvG didn't want him and then tried to turn him into a striker.
Bastian Schweinsteiger when his legs were gone and he was no longer playing for Bayern.
Turning down the opportunity to sign Thiago and/or Kroos.
Selling Evans for pittance when he was our best CB.
Signing Matic over Fabinho.
Signing Lindelof over van Dijk & Ruben Dias (his CB partner at Benfica at the time).
Bringing in Sanchez, not so much the signing because he was worth a punt but the salary absolutely destroyed any remaining semblence of wage structure at the club.
Lee Grant?
£80m on a human fridge when we wanted to transition to playing a high line.
£50m on AWB when he's a 90s fullback that can do nothing but defend.
Donny van de Beek when Ole had clearly never seen him play and wanted Grealish.
Giving Jones a new deal when Ole came in and never playing him.
Any extension ever given to Andreas Pereira.
Angering our amazing 2nd choice GK in Romero, refusing to sell him to recoup 10-20m but instead sending him off to sit at home in South America whilst still paying his full wages until his contract expired all the while we were creating a disharmony at our club by using Henderson as #2 when he clearly wanted to be #1 and was on way too big a wage for a 2nd choice. Biggest cluster of abysmal decisions in recent memory.
Forcing Lingard to stay instead of taking 20-25m for him, refusing to play him, letting him leak stories and breed toxicity, paying his wages, losing him on a free.

Our club has been a literaly shambles with transfers and contracts. It's an absolute joke.

lex talionis

It's quite sad how shambolic our transfer activity has been going back the Moyes era.

cyril C

Yep. You can look through the list of failings and see exactly what the team could have been.

Add Memphis Depay instead of Mane too.

Lindelof over Van Dijk.
VDD is a known quality in EPL and not cheap at that time, so it should be VDD Vs Maguire.

On the other hand, Lindelof can be compared with Dias.

Mane was also a known quality in EPL, but we bought Valencia instead.

We bought Depay & Martial, someone bought Luis Diaz, Saint-Maximin.

Our scouts went to the wrong pub I think.

SAFMUTD

I see many people calling the Alexis transfer, that was a fiasco but nobody could see that one comming. I mean he had a poor 4 month spell for Arsenal before joining but he wanted to leave so it could've just been motivation issues at the time. Nobody expected him to suddenly become Mata physically speaking.

Will Singh

We’ve made a ton of bad signings but I’ll never forget the Moyes window because of 1) first window after SAF. 2) Woodward doing that interview where he was flexing saying how we can do things what others can’t do. 3) Moyes doing an interview told us Woodward has left preseason early to do urgent business (I think we were linked to Tiago). 4) Buying Fellaini for more then he’s release clause because of dithering Dave. Yes we’ve had much worse windows but that was the beginning of things to come.

Tavern in the town

Just remembered Moyes vetoed Thiago and LVG vetoed Kroos in back to back summers and now I feel violently ill. That could’ve been one of the great midfields.

Andersonson

None will ever be more nonsensical than Van De Beek. Big money on a player who plays in the same position as (at the time) comfortably our best player who happens to never be injured. All while we had a gaping hole 20 yards down the pitch.
Yes, this was a weird one for sure. But he wasnt that expensive considering his age and the hype. I think we can recoup some of it atleast. Not sure Everton will buy him for a reduced price though since he's been woeful there too

Revaulx

Yeah, we shouldn't let managers buy these obscure players should we!
Ever since Mata I’ve become convinced that the people with the greatest influence over United’s signings have been selling clubs and their agents. If I’d wanted to shift a dud I’d just call up Ed Woodward and tell him I’d got just the player for him.

Schmeichel=God

Jones contract
Pogba contract
Lingard loan and no sale
Mata no sale yet no games in 3 years
Tuanzebe no sale when value high after loan
The fact we made a profit on James.
Selling Herrera
Schneiderlin
Aaron "best out of 2000" Wan Bissaka
Paying circa 10m more for Fellaini for jokes

There'll be more but off the top of me head, that's all.

Edit

Oh yes... deeming Maguire over 4 times better than Mike Smalling.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Not replacing Herrera turned out to be a disaster class. He wasn’t the best but at least he would put a shift in. Definitely needed in your current state.

jimmyb2000

There's more wrong than individual players. If Man City had signed Sanchez instead of Mahrez and Liverpool Matic over Fabinho then both those players would have done better than with us as City and Liverpool are functioning teams with great managers. Similarly Mahrez and Fabinho would probably have underwhelmed here.
Great point and you're absolutely correct in my opinion.

mu4c_20le

Not replacing Herrera turned out to be a disaster class. He wasn’t the best but at least he would put a shift in. Definitely needed in your current state.
Fred is the replacement, he's better in everything except the killer ball.

Gavinb33

Do you not think Sanchez would better his United record of 3 premier league goals in 43 appearances at City? Would Matic not be better with Van Dijk behind him over Maguire, threading balls through to Mane and Salah rather than Dan James or Rashford?

It’s not a coincidence that all our signings post Fergie have either failed or not improved whereas practically all Liverpool’s signings flourish.
All Liverpools in the last 5 years prior to this their record is as patchy as our own, which probably tells you the truth about what Ralf said with good windows we can improve quickly, Liverpool for instance went from 4th to 2nd we can make a similar move if we make the right acquisitions