Qanon

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Something I was wondering about: I work for the government and we do a lot of work related to COVID-19. I am not very highly placed myself, but I provide strategic/project support to executives, so I am very close to that level in my own way. So, if there is a deep-state conspiracy, COVID-19 is fake, and so on and so forth - what is supposed to be my role in it? I mean, it's all bullshit of course, but I am wondering, in these people's minds, am I part of the problem? Or am I just a nonce who's not seeing what's right in front of me and is getting dragged along? But if they don't think I am part of it, where does it start? Above the level of my executive? And would he then get converted if he'd be promoted into that level, or recruited or something? Or is he in on it and just hiding it from me, and are our executives deliberately wasting everyone's time by making my organization spend enormous efforts on COVID-19 while they know exactly what's really happening and going to happen?

I suppose most of these conspiracy fans never think this through far enough to realize how their world breaks down completely once you try and get into the nitty-gritty of such world-wide conspiracy theories. But I suppose some do, and I'm wondering how I and/or my boss fit into in their view of the world. And so I was curious if maybe someone on here has dived deep enough into this rabbit hole to have an idea of that.
I'd love to know this type of stuff too. Especially the sheer project management and planning skills required to maintain this secret shadow cabal.

Regarding the bolded, did you look up the definition of nonce before posting that? :wenger:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'd love to know this type of stuff too. Especially the sheer project management and planning skills required to maintain this secret shadow cabal.

Regarding the bolded, did you look up the definition of nonce before posting that? :wenger:
Haha, no, and I should've! I would have realized that I meant 'dunce'. :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
At root, anyone who doesn't share their views is part of the conspiracy. Which means that 99.9% of the world is conspiring against them ... so the QAnoners are the persecuted and righteous few, although hardly any of them can correctly spell the word "paranoid".
Nah, that's too simplistic. I'm sure they'll look down on anyone who doesn't realize their 'truth' (as an aside, I hate how you can say 'speak my truth' now; that's called an interpretation!), but that's the people they tell to do the research and see for yourself. Does that include me? Or would they say that, as a government employee with high-level connections, I'm just creating my smokescreen here?

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Nah, that's too simplistic. I'm sure they'll look down on anyone who doesn't realize their 'truth' (as an aside, I hate how you can say 'speak my truth' now; that's called an interpretation!), but that's the people they tell to do the research and see for yourself. Does that include me? Or would they say that, as a government employee with high-level connections, I'm just creating my smokescreen here?
So for example Flat Erfers are regularly accusing teachers teaching Globe-Earth of "lying to children". That implies they are convinced that all teachers must know that Earth is flat, which of course would make this conspiracy quite a big undertaking. Logistically it would be much easier for them to assume the teachers have also been lied to or whatever.

MarylandMUFan

So for example Flat Erfers are regularly accusing teachers teaching Globe-Earth of "lying to children". That implies they are convinced that all teachers must know that Earth is flat, which of course would make this conspiracy quite a big undertaking. Logistically it would be much easier for them to assume the teachers have also been lied to or whatever.
The scale of the conspiracy for flat earthers have to mean that everyone but the flat earthers are in on the conspiracy. It's mad.

Vitro

Conspiracy theorists significantly overrate people’s intelligence and competency. They have also taken an all too human inclination to its extreme, and seem incapable or unwilling to accept randomness.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't dig. I mean, I was essentially asking for the method to the madness. Who's crazy now! :houllier:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

That's an insane thread, but I had more fun looking through the retweets, and this thread of 2 intrepid reporters putting the clues together:

WPMUFC

That's an insane thread, but I had more fun looking through the retweets, and this thread of 2 intrepid reporters putting the clues together:

So whats the end game for these nutters? I mean it's one thing to sit in your basement and play this ARG online fantasy world where you just talk to yourself and your ARG mates about deluded conspiracies, but they are now claiming observable reality doesn't exist.

My only assumption is that this is getting wackier and wackier to allow themselves to create a justification for violence? Or for a cult suicide? "The chinese have invaded to overthrow trump....there is no point in living anymore"??

Fingeredmouse

So whats the end game for these nutters? I mean it's one thing to sit in your basement and play this ARG online fantasy world where you just talk to yourself and your ARG mates about deluded conspiracies, but they are now claiming observable reality doesn't exist.

My only assumption is that this is getting wackier and wackier to allow themselves to create a justification for violence? Or for a cult suicide? "The chinese have invaded to overthrow trump....there is no point in living anymore"??
The latter would be infinitely preferable.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Yeah, sure. I’m sure we just dropped MOAB’s younger, more powerful cousin on our own soil. I’m sure there was an underground bunker with 50K of a foreign military that we just vaporized.

These fecking people.

nimic

something nice
Scout

It's mental illness.

WPMUFC

It's mental illness.
i agree, but it's not like UFO's where people can self-delude and turn swamp gas or flying lanterns into a tale of beings from another world. These people are, whole cloth, just acting like things are happening in the real world that have no basis in even a misinterpretation or misunderstanding. There was no plane crash, there was no "smoke in the sky", these people are wholly committed to a political narrative, that is completely fabricated in their online bubbles. To me, it's like they are fabricating these stories to justify something, whether that may be violence or suicide, I don't know. Mental illness is definitely a factor but it seems to be mental illness seeking to justify something.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Oh, bless her heart...

What's amazing is that she - and countless other QAnoners - are blithely talking about their hopes for a successful military coup to over-throw the certified election result, followed by mass arrests of their political opponents.

Is there anything they draw the line at? Would they support the interrogation under torture of Biden, Obama and their families? How about their summary execution by firing squad.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What's amazing is that she - and countless other QAnoners - are blithely talking about their hopes for a successful military coup to over-throw the certified election result, followed by mass arrests of their political opponents.

Is there anything they draw the line at? Would they support the interrogation under torture of Biden, Obama and their families? How about their summary execution by firing squad.
On your last paragraph, I'd be interested to see the results of a Qanon poll on that. Think an alarming amount of them would not only support, but even applaud it.

I rewatched The pianist last week and was once again baffled by the horror humanity is capable of inflicting on itself, and also quite sure that this is not at all something of the past which we've collectively evolved out of. Indoctrinate these people long enough and they'll volunteer to murder journalists / political opponents / whatever the focal point of the indoctrination is in the streets. The evil we are capable of knows no limits, with the right type of encouragement.

nimic

something nice
Scout

They're basically fascists, so no, there's no line.