Qanon

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't really follow the loonies but apparently the Great Reset has definitely started. It's also funny to see them idolize Le Pen, the woman is a certified idiot and goes where money is.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I honestly think QAnon and right-wing conspiracy theories in general may be more scary than Jonestown, Heaven's Gate and other cults.

While those cults were relatively small, this modern conservative conspiracy movement has infected so many people. From grandmothers to young men in their 20s, the sheer scale of it is simply bizarre.

Somebody in my close circle literally mentioned George Soros.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I honestly think QAnon and right-wing conspiracy theories in general may be more scary than Jonestown, Heaven's Gate and other cults.

While those cults were relatively small, this modern conservative conspiracy movement has infected so many people. From grandmothers to young men in their 20s, the sheer scale of it is simply bizarre.

It’s like Qanon is coronavirus while other cults are ebola.

The Firestarter

Reminds me of this little video I saw a while back

mu4c_20le

I think part of it is because the alt right trolls are very tech savvy and know how to use the internet to reach people, manipulate trends, algorithms, etc. I used to think it was just a couple of loony youtube videos and that conspiracy theories naturally attract bored and curious minds, but it's not that simple. Misinformation is often mixed in with real information which makes it difficult to discern if you aren't always up to date or know how to look out for them. And of course there's the constant and direct discrediting of MSM.

Green_Red

It has always existed, you're right. What the internet has done is allowed these disparate people to contact each other and egg each other on. Back in the day the echo chamber was a monthly newsletter and you had to write letters to contact any other believers. Nowadays they just have to turn their phone on to get confirmation bias.
Not to mention information has a potentially infinite lifespan that allows things to be experienced outside of their context.

I think we're about to see a huge shift in how Internet is regulated globally.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Throw that insurrectionist twat out on her head.
They should have a "Where are they now" feature a few months from now so the world can see how low these idiots have sunk. Trump is not the only one responsible for this. All of these people had the hate in them already. He just gave them on outlet to show their true ugly colors.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They should have a "Where are they now" feature a few months from now so the world can see how low these idiots have sunk. Trump is not the only one responsible for this. All of these people had the hate in them already. He just gave them on outlet to show their true ugly colors.
We’ve gone from the batshit blondie defacing an end cap in a Target to the Capitol building being overrun.

If this isn’t the exponential curve of Q batshit, then we’re in for a screwy couple of weeks.

Carolina Red

Staff
Preaching the truth right there. Can't tell you how many people I have grown up knowing that I have become absolutely disappointed in over the last 4 years.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Preaching the truth right there. Can't tell you how many people I have grown up knowing that I have become absolutely disappointed in over the last 4 years.
Totally. What’s spooky is, while there’s a commonality to many of them, there’s a significant percentage who I would never have thought would adopt such mental deficiency.

Some of them just came out of left field.

Carolina Red

Staff
Totally. What’s spooky is, while there’s a commonality to many of them, there’s a significant percentage who I would never have thought would adopt such mental deficiency.

Yes! Damn, I'm glad it isn't just me seeing shit like that happen.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Yep and based on their views that has become quite apparent over the past months it's just sad. It's sad mainly because we just can't coexist with them anymore. I get angry and always want to say something to them. It will always be an ongoing conflict if we continue to be around them. Best thing here is to slowly start separating yourself from them.

This is spot on and it goes to show you really don't know some people. Scariest part is that they think they're doing the right thing.

The Firestarter

Yep and based on their views that has become quite apparent over the past months it's just sad. It's sad mainly because we just can't coexist with them anymore. I get angry and always want to say something to them. It will always be an ongoing conflict if we continue to be around them. Best thing here is to slowly start separating yourself from them.

This is spot on and it goes to show you really don't know some people. Scariest part is that they think they're doing the right thing.
And its quite the pickle when they are your immediate family.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why are we comparing this to Jonestown? This thing has the capacity to launch thousands of terrorists. It's in a different stratosphere.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
From what I read it can be really easy for them to get in congress since most voters won't look at their agenda and just vote for them based on their party allegiance.
Yeah I'd believe that. But surely it then falls on the party to be certain they're not represented by complete loons? Which admittedly might be difficult in the GOP's case.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Has the original Q-poster been identified? Can't seem to find a confirmation on this.

On October 28, 2017, an anonymous user browsing the /pol/ section of 4chan, a notorious alt-right imageboard, saw a post that read, “Hillary Clinton will be arrested between 7:45 AM — 8:30 AM EST on Monday — the morning on Oct 30, 2017,” and decided to respond. This user would later adopt the name “Q Clearance Patriot” (soon shortened to “Q”). Q hinted that they were a military officer in President Trump’s inner circle; their writings — almost 5,000 posts to date — gave birth to the QAnon conspiracy theory.
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2021/01/07/the-making-of-qanon-a-crowdsourced-conspiracy/

Where did it all start?
In October 2017, an anonymous user put a series of posts on the message board 4chan. The user signed off as "Q" and claimed to have a level of US security approval known as "Q clearance".
These messages became known as "Q drops" or "breadcrumbs", often written in cryptic language peppered with slogans, pledges and pro-Trump themes.
https://www.bbc.com/news/53498434

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why are we comparing this to Jonestown? This thing has the capacity to launch thousands of terrorists. It's in a different stratosphere.
This does appear to be a great time to buy stocks in Kool-Aid.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Think @berbatrick posted something a while back which seemed to identify the most likely candidate. It’s quite impressive how they haven’t been outed yet.
Most likely Q is 15 year-old kid having a laugh and/or indulging in his fantasies.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Think @berbatrick posted something a while back which seemed to identify the most likely candidate. It’s quite impressive how they haven’t been outed yet.
From what I read, it's not even certain there was ever only one Q. It might well have started out as another 8chan joke, with a couple of people behind it. But that's from two months ago or so.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think part of it is because the alt right trolls are very tech savvy and know how to use the internet to reach people, manipulate trends, algorithms, etc. I used to think it was just a couple of loony youtube videos and that conspiracy theories naturally attract bored and curious minds, but it's not that simple. Misinformation is often mixed in with real information which makes it difficult to discern if you aren't always up to date or know how to look out for them. And of course there's the constant and direct discrediting of MSM.
50% is idiots believing nonsense and finding fellow idiots to corroborate and collaborate with, for a sense of community.

50% is craven folks understanding it’s a nonsense but still choosing to monetise the situation for personal enrichment.

I have a bigger problem with the likes of Diamond & Silk, Candice Owens, Charlie Kirk, Ben Shapiro et al, than I do with hard working, small-world Americans that get sucked into this abhorrent manipulative vortex of arseholery.

(To pedants : I’m sure it’s not 50/50. I don’t care what actual ratio it is)

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Well, how are they coping today?