Qanon

Carolina Red

Staff
the feckers are so desperate for anything that it just might. They would spin it so that Melania is the WOB(tm) and is distracting Donald. I believe (and I am reaching way back in my Catholic education here) that the WOB(tm) passage closes with the king of kings defeating her. Or something.
I'd sell them as a package deal. WOB is a metaphor ;)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'd sell them as a package deal. WOB is a metaphor ;)
Don't tell Sister Mary (4th grade teacher, could hit a fly across the room with a piece of chalk), but all of Revelations is a giant, hallucinogen fueled, metaphor for why you should not use drugs.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Don't tell Sister Mary (4th grade teacher, could hit a fly across the room with a piece of chalk), but all of Revelations is a giant, hallucinogen fueled, metaphor for why you should not use drugs.
Or should!

Well, I guess Revelations is more like a bad trip... I guess the good trip is the Gospel of John. Just those first lines... :nervous:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Or should!

Well, I guess Revelations is more like a bad trip... I guess the good trip is the Gospel of John. Just those first lines... :nervous:
Reread my sentence carefully, I think we are on the same page :)

Ah yes, the Gospel of John. Always kind of creeped me out as a kid how John referred to himself.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I keep reading ‘WOB’ as World of Beer.
We had one of those in Birmingham for a bit. It was right next to the hotel that work colleagues would stay at when in town. WOB on a work expense account is a fantastic place to be.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We had one of those in Birmingham for a bit. It was right next to the hotel that work colleagues would stay at when in town. WOB on a work expense account is a fantastic place to be.
If allowed to be left a little to their own devices, those places can be really solid. There’s always mandates involved that the locations will need to pour, but if there’s a GM who knows his / her stuff, they can get pretty funky outside of what they have to pour. It’s often off menu, but always fun to see what they have lying around.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Reread my sentence carefully, I think we are on the same page :)

Ah yes, the Gospel of John. Always kind of creeped me out as a kid how John referred to himself.
Yes, my second sentence was supposed to indicate that I had come over to your point of view. Not phrased clearly I guess.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I'm not sure what thread was best to post this in tbh. Maybe there should be some kind of Trumpism after Trump, or brainwashed Republicans thread.

"From where we stand today as a country, I can't understand how every serious, rational thinker, social and political commentator/critic/etc. is not absolutely "hair on fire" about the state of delusion that tens of millions of Republican voters find themselves in right now.
Per Pew Research - 40% of Trump voters believe that Trump definitely won the election, while another 35% believe that he probably did. That's 75% of 74 million people.
Luntz did another focus group a few days before this one that OP posted, and I really urge everybody to watch it to understand how dire the epistemic problem is right now in this country. (EDIT NOTE: I wish I could link to a video that didn't include commentary, though I agree with much of it - so if anybody has one, please reply with it and I'll gladly edit my comment to link to it)
All these calls for "unity" are meaningless, completely worthless and futile, when one realizes that we aren't living in the same reality as these people. The informational diet that the Republican electorate is consuming right now is so toxic and filled with outright misinformation, that tens of millions are living in a literal, not figurative, paranoiac psychosis.
As a family member of a person who has suffered from paranoid and schizoid delusional thoughts, these folks sound no different than when I was hearing things like "somebody replaced the photos of my Facebook friends with corpses" or "please go somewhere safe because they're hunting down all my family members". He was convinced, 100% certain that these things were real (to him they absolutely were real) and to even begin to attempt to point out that none of this was actually happening to him was to invite an angry tirade in defense of his own fractured reality and sanity. In the end, the only "solution" was to live with the delusions when they popped up and try to reshape his life such that they affected his functioning and interpersonal relationships as little as possible.
That's simply not possible in an electoral democracy and with tens of millions of people. Pandora's Box of Conspiratorial Thinking has been opened here, and these people are now fully activated and capable of believing quite literally anything. The dangers cannot be overstated, and the problem is the problem of our generation."

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
All these calls for "unity" are meaningless, completely worthless and futile, when one realizes that we aren't living in the same reality as these people. The informational diet that the Republican electorate is consuming right now is so toxic and filled with outright misinformation, that tens of millions are living in a literal, not figurative, paranoiac psychosis.
This is the key and something Biden is about to realise pretty quickly.
A finished country.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
It's just political speak with little practical impact. Usually ex-presidents across both parties work together for charity causes and such, which obviously doesn't apply to Trump as nobody wants him.

Hope he gets convicted in Senate so we can rid of him for good.
I wouldn't expect Biden to say anything else really, but it's not just him saying it, you hear it from regular people all the time about how instead of being critical to Trump supporters or whatever, that we need to be kind and try to "come together" and all that. I imagine it's more those that the guy that said that was referring to.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I wouldn't expect Biden to say anything really, but it's not just him saying it, you hear it from regular people all the time about how instead of being critical to Trump supporters or whatever, that we need to be kind and try to "come together" and all that.
It's such a weird thing. It's not like it was just a rather negative discussion that they have to get over.

They should try this at murder trials: "What happened may not have been ideal your honour, but it's in the past now and we can't change what happened. No-one comes out of this looking perfect, so let bygones be bygones, eh!"

Dante

Average bang
I'm not sure what thread was best to post this in tbh. Maybe there should be some kind of Trumpism after Trump, or brainwashed Republicans thread.

"From where we stand today as a country, I can't understand how every serious, rational thinker, social and political commentator/critic/etc. is not absolutely "hair on fire" about the state of delusion that tens of millions of Republican voters find themselves in right now.
Per Pew Research - 40% of Trump voters believe that Trump definitely won the election, while another 35% believe that he probably did. That's 75% of 74 million people.
Luntz did another focus group a few days before this one that OP posted, and I really urge everybody to watch it to understand how dire the epistemic problem is right now in this country. (EDIT NOTE: I wish I could link to a video that didn't include commentary, though I agree with much of it - so if anybody has one, please reply with it and I'll gladly edit my comment to link to it)
As a family member of a person who has suffered from paranoid and schizoid delusional thoughts, these folks sound no different than when I was hearing things like "somebody replaced the photos of my Facebook friends with corpses" or "please go somewhere safe because they're hunting down all my family members". He was convinced, 100% certain that these things were real (to him they absolutely were real) and to even begin to attempt to point out that none of this was actually happening to him was to invite an angry tirade in defense of his own fractured reality and sanity. In the end, the only "solution" was to live with the delusions when they popped up and try to reshape his life such that they affected his functioning and interpersonal relationships as little as possible.
That's simply not possible in an electoral democracy and with tens of millions of people. Pandora's Box of Conspiratorial Thinking has been opened here, and these people are now fully activated and capable of believing quite literally anything. The dangers cannot be overstated, and the problem is the problem of our generation."
This is why Social Media will be the end of democracy. It allows for the creation of parallel realities through consensus from laypeople. All it takes is for one person in their in-group to shout 'fire!' and the herd mentality will trick the rest into thinking they smell smoke.

Obviously, this phenomenon existed before the internet. But online algorithms have made it almost inescapable these days.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
from 2018: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/06/18/florida-senior-citizens-vote-election-2018-218758

Political polarization is not a new phenomenon, and not all Republicans in The Villages believe InfoWars conspiracy theories, but it really is unusual that the president’s top supporters here are so tight with what used to be considered the radical fringe. At a dinner before Newman’s speech, Gee, the head of the Trump Club of The Villages, observed to the Florida director of the John Birch Society that the right has never been more unified. “I used to think of y’all as extremists,” he said. “Now when I listen to your message, it sounds pretty mainstream to me.
the john birch society said that eisenhower was a communist agent. they were these guys:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
It's such a weird thing. It's not like it was just a rather negative discussion that they have to get over.

They should try this at murder trials: "What happened may not have been ideal your honour, but it's in the past now and we can't change what happened. Let bygones be bygones, eh!"
:lol: You might have just discovered a radical new technique to be tried in the courts.

It is weird though for sure.

Sure if someone has a different political opinion to you to the extent that there's a slight difference in opinion on how and where taxes are spent or the age someone should be able to drive or drink then you can probably talk civilly and maybe compromise or at least disagree respectfully, but the suggestion that others should be reaching out to literally insane and extremely brainwashed/bigoted republicans and have a nice chat and "meet in the middle" as if that's the magical way to sort everything out is not only pointless for the above reasons, but actually kind of insulting IMO.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I wouldn't expect Biden to say anything else really, but it's not just him saying it, you hear it from regular people all the time about how instead of being critical to Trump supporters or whatever, that we need to be kind and try to "come together" and all that. I imagine it's more those that the guy that said that was referring to.
Well you are seeing it. Senate is looking more likely to work together than in previous 4 years. With Trump gone, at least in DC, well see more cooperation.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
:lol: You might have just discovered a radical new technique to be tried in the courts.

It is weird though for sure.

Sure if someone has a different political opinion to you to the extent that there's a slight difference in opinion on how and where taxes are spent or the age someone should be able to drive or drink then you can probably talk civilly and maybe compromise or at least disagree respectfully, but the suggestion that others should be reaching out to literally insane and extremely brainwashed/bigoted republicans and have a nice chat and "meet in the middle" as if that's the magical way to sort everything out is not only pointless for the above reasons, but actually kind of insulting IMO.
Exactly. The Democrats have moved a good bit to the right already. There were some good cartoons here or in the Confederates Storm the Capitol thread - the middle ground would still be a really insane place.

WPMUFC

There’s some hope here, but it’s even more frightening.

Man that video is a ride.

1. Thought every single TV in the US would go dark on inauguration day and everyone would be arrested. Literally thought a military coup was about to happen to keep Trump in office.
2. Admits that she cannot think for herself.
3. Had a complete mental breakdown when Biden was being inaugurated.
4. Saw Biden take the oath and then realised it was all a lie.

Her mind is....unique.

Last edited:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Man that video is a ride.

1. Thought every single TV in the US would go dark on inauguration day and everyone would be arrested. Literally thought a military coup was about to happen to keep Trump in office.
2. Admits that she cannot think for her self.
3. Had a complete mental breakdown when Biden was being inaugurated.
4. Saw Biden take the oath and then realised it was all a lie.

Her mind is....unique.
If just.

Adisa

Must be crushing watching your parent become a lunatic before your eyes.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I've watched my closest family members, my aunt and her daughters and their husbands, become hardcore Trump fanatics. Haven't noticed (from afar) if they're Q nuts but wouldn't surprise me if they've picked up on some of it. People to the far fringe of a spectrum tend to buy into conspiracies and nonsense. My most recent ex-gf was surprisingly a right-wing type, and she recently remarried her ex-husband who is extremely right-wing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I've watched my closest family members, my aunt and her daughters and their husbands, become hardcore Trump fanatics. Haven't noticed (from afar) if they're Q nuts but wouldn't surprise me if they've picked up on some of it. People to the far fringe of a spectrum tend to buy into conspiracies and nonsense. My most recent ex-gf was surprisingly a right-wing type, and she recently remarried her ex-husband who is extremely right-wing.
Believe in one fairy tale, the rest seem far more palatable. It’s a slippery slope, but it’s not just those on the far right.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Hence why I said far fringe of a spectrum as in not just to the right.
Such fairytale belief exists in the majority of the right, not just the far right or the extreme. It’s especially prevalent in your new neck of the woods. If you want to see it in even more stark terms, pay attention to Pasco County & especially the elected officials. What a clown car that area is.

Adisa

From the stories I have read, the common theme is that many of these Qanon folks were/are devout Christians or people who grew up in devout Christian homes.

Amarsdd

From the stories I have read, the common theme is that many of these Qanon folks were/are devout Christians or people who grew up in devout Christian homes.
I suppose believing in one fictional story primes you to believe in another. Its the same case with the flat earthers as well.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I doubt the first young woman’s mother was too keen on the daughter’s wife to begin with. I wish I still had my parents around so I could incessantly thank them for bringing me up as a liberal & a democrat & for us not being religious.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Today was meant to be the 2nd date of Trumps inauguration and these idiots still support him whilst facing 20 years in the slammer.