Qatar Bollocks (AKA Qatar consider MUFC takeover?)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
i hear that sales of green&gold robes are up in Qatar - what more proof do we need?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
No, pretty sure of that.

I also think he's not the sort to fall for a WUM from some random steward... there must be something a little more to this than that.
Pretty much what I'm thinking. Slightly excited.

decorativeed

that steward is probably a city fan wumming
Could be onto something there. I heard someone on Warwick Rd claiming a steward had told him "the real reason Rooney went to America". Sounded like a load of shite too. They probably tell people all kinds of things for a laugh.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
So...the Toronto Maple Leafs NHL franchise is partially up for sale (a 66% stake is on the block).

I thought it might be interesting to compare. The pension fund that owns this stake apparently wants $1.3 billion for it, which the papers suggest values the club at $1.9 (I'm going to assume these are CDN$). That would value the Leafs at just shy of 1 billion pounds, more than twice what Forbes valued them at in 2009 (something like $400 million) although current exchange rates may cloud the exact figures somewhat.

The question is what, if anything, this means for United's perceived value on the open market, the eyes of the Glazer family or potential suitors?

Aaron

''Heard it from a steward at the game'' :lol:
In fairness it's the most credible source we've had on the subject. It's progressed beyond 'insiders say...'. At least now we have a job description to go by. In a year or two at this pace, this might actually develop into a rumour.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
So...the Toronto Maple Leafs NHL franchise is partially up for sale (a 66% stake is on the block).

I thought it might be interesting to compare. The pension fund that owns this stake apparently wants $1.3 billion for it, which the papers suggest values the club at $1.9 (I'm going to assume these are CDN$). That would value the Leafs at just shy of 1 billion pounds, more than twice what Forbes valued them at in 2009 (something like $400 million) although current exchange rates may cloud the exact figures somewhat.

The question is what, if anything, this means for United's perceived value on the open market, the eyes of the Glazer family or potential suitors?
$1.3B for a little team played only by a handful of Scandinavian people around the world...This means that the US$2B for United maybe seem like a bargain. :smirk:

misterredmist

I've been told by, a friend of mine, who knows someone, who also knows someone else, who has heard from someone else, that someone else says, the Qatari takeover is a done deal.....

Sir A1ex

I've been told by, a friend of mine, who knows someone, who also knows someone
else, who has heard from someone else, that someone else says, the Qatari takeover
is a done deal.....
Yous should have just come on the caf, where you could have heard the news only 4th hand instead of 8th.

Hang on... a "friend" you say? I smell a rat...

Dr. Dwayne

$1.3B for a little team played only by a handful of Scandinavian people around the world...This means that the US$2B for United maybe seem like a bargain. :smirk:
Well that is what I'm getting at. The Leafs run sellout crowds for I think 41 home games a year. Their arena only holds 20k. Ticket prices run from super expensive to expensive (the average price for non-premium seats is apprx $115 each [about 50-55 pounds]). They are also perennial losers on a worse run than City (no trophies since 1967) yet they are big business as the price tag suggests.

As you say $2 Billion US for United is a real bargain. I reckon the Glazer's wouldn't even take that.

DanH

Well that is what I'm getting at. The Leafs run sellout crowds for I think 41 home games a year. Their arena only holds 20k. Ticket prices run from super expensive to expensive (the average price for non-premium seats is apprx $115 each [about 50-55 pounds]). They are also perennial losers on a worse run than City (no trophies since 1967) yet they are big business as the price tag suggests.

As you say $2 Billion US for United is a real bargain. I reckon the Glazer's wouldn't even take that.
The only thing to take from it is not to think of Forbes as a realistic measure of value. They have to set an arbritary point to apply to teams. That doesn't necessarily reflect their real world value.

There's not much you can really use to compare United's potential value to, some people tried to use Liverpool but that's largely irrelevant as it was the sale of a distressed asset by a bank largely just looking to recoup their investment.

TheMancRedDevil

The only thing to take from it is not to think of Forbes as a realistic measure of value. They have to set an arbritary point to apply to teams. That doesn't necessarily reflect their real world value.

There's not much you can really use to compare United's potential value to, some people tried to use Liverpool but that's largely irrelevant as it was the sale of a distressed asset by a bank largely just looking to recoup their investment.
Yes. At the end of the day, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If no one wants to buy at £2bn then you might as well say it's worth £10bn - makes no difference, just looks better.

I would say with the example Dr Dwayne gave above that it could be argued that there's plenty of scope for improvement there if the right people came along and purchased it. If it's doing so well financially without ever winning anything, imagine how well it could do if they startedwinning stuff again?

There's perhaps not that scope for improvement ON the field for United but OFF the field, it would seem that the revenue generation possibilities are limited only by the owners' imagination.

Sir A1ex

God knows what their over-all fan base and earnings potential are like, but having been in town on the first day of the season back in October, I can vouch for the Leafs having plenty of pretty hard-core fans in the local area, and for the fact that Torronto pretty much grinds to a hault when they are playing the Canadiens!

Dr. Dwayne

God knows what their over-all fan base and earnings potential are like, but having been in town on the first day of the season back in October, I can vouch for the Leafs having plenty of pretty hard-core fans in the local area, and for the fact that Torronto pretty much grinds to a hault when they are playing the Canadiens!
hehehe the rest of Canada hates Toronto so the fan base is rather localized I think. On the plus side, it's localized in the most densely populated region of the country.

kietotheworld

United make move for Sneijder as Qatar takeover looks imminent - The People

Manchester UNITED’S spending frenzy is set to *accelerate with a final tilt for £35million Wesley Sneijder – amid growing speculation that they are on the brink of a fresh take*over attempt from Qatar.

Football’s grapevine is buzzing with rumours that Qatar Holdings, the business arm of the country’s ruling royal family, are the real force behind a United cash spree that is set to top £125MILLION.

That kind of transfer market spending is reckoned to be way beyond the Glazer family who bought the club for nearly £800m in 2005.

Qatar Holdings, a division of the Qatar Investment Authority, which identifies ways to maximise the Arab state’s oil fortune, are *believed to have had a £1.5billion offer turned down last year.

Speculation

But it has been suggested in *business circles that a third party – thought to be the Qataris – may have funded a £250m loan *repayment by the American-based Glazers late last year.

That arrangement, if accurate, is thought to be a forerunner to a full takeover bid, with sources close to the Glazers saying they now value the 12-time Premier League champions closer to a staggering TWO BILLION POUNDS.

And Sir Alex Ferguson’s eye-watering transfer splash has done nothing to dampen speculation that Qatar Holdings – backed by the emir, Sheik Hamad bin Khalifa al Thani – are back on the scene again.

Although on holiday in the south of France, the United boss is close to *sealing deals for £21.3m Ashley Young from Aston Villa, teenage Blackburn defender Phil Jones for up to £20m and Atletico Madrid keeper David de Gea for £25m.

Ferguson also has £25m Alexis Sanchez of Udinese in his sights and is determined to land a top midfielder to replace Paul Scholes – with Sneijder his No.1 choice.

Despite claims on Inter Milan’s website last week that he is happy in Italy and sees no reason to move, United believe 27-year-old Sneijder DOES fancy a fresh challenge at Old Trafford.

They should *discover this week if a deal is possible. If not, Arsenal star Sami Nasri – with a year left on his *contract – and Tottenham’s Croatia playmaker Luka Modric will *become active targets.

But it is the sudden release of a huge transfer war chest which has sparked rumours of a bigger picture developing at Old Trafford.

Unpopular

The Glazer family continue to insist United are NOT for sale – and that being unpopular with the fans doesn’t bother them.

But they cannot compete with the spending power of Abu-Dhabi owned Manchester City or Roman Abramovich’s Chelsea, who forked out £75m in January on Fernando Torres and David Luiz. Officials from Qatar Holdings were at Wembley a *fortnight ago, sitting close to the Glazer family and *senior United figures during the Champions League final against Barcelona.

The Qatar royal family – under the guise of the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community – are Barcelona’s shirt sponsors after penning a massive £135m deal to become the Catalan club’s first paid shirt advertisers in the club’s 111-year history.

It is unclear whether any talks took place while the two parties were in London, but Qatar have made no secret of their interest in United as they look to bolster their sporting armoury ahead of the controversial 2022 World Cup.

Ferguson took United to Qatar in January last year and returned on his own in November to endorse the Aspire4Sport exhibition and *conference in Doha to help *promote Qatar as a sporting *destination.

Fanatical

Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola was also a paid *ambassador for Qatar’s successful 2022 World Cup bid, while Nou Camp president Sandro Rosell has been a vocal *supporter of the Qatari football academy, styled on Barcelona’s.

But while they are happy to have links with Barca, Qatar Holdings know they could never buy the Catalan club, which is owned by 150,000 fanatical fans.

Qatar Holdings has a massive portfolio of worldwide property investments, including Harrods and London’s One Hyde Park – an apartment block where luxury flats go for around £30m each.

Buying United, though, is still thought to be their main sporting strategy.

And the anti-Glazer Green and Gold supporters were last night clinging to the hope Ferguson’s spending splurge is the signal that the unpopular Americans’ grip on United may be coming to an end.

United make move for Sneijder as Qatar takeover looks imminent - Football News - Football - Sport - People.co.uk

Ringo 07

It is Sunday after all!! This 'Exclsuive' tripe always appears on a Sunday and gets recycled and reprinted about every 6 months!! I am sure the tabloids keep recycling the story because they probably sell 10 times more papers every 6 months when they reprint this story with all the suckers buying into it! By Tuesday expect an irritated Gill to come out yet again saying the club will not be sold for another 10 years anyways!

Iron Stove

I was shocked when I read the valuation of the Leafs. I really didn't think that an NHL team could be worth so much money.