Qatar Bollocks (AKA Qatar consider MUFC takeover?)

Aaron

Thank you.

We got there in the end.
You've completely falsified and misrepresented my argument, deliberately I suspect.

Of course City's owners or Abramovic cannot be considered in the same terms of most other football owners. That is just taken as red I wouldn't have thought it would have been worthwhile in an intelligible conversation with someone clued up somewhat on football finance to take time to point that out.

However, although they are unique in not needing to turn a profit, they still want to. It'd still be their preferred outcome. They don't HAVE to and although it doesn't overly concern them and it isn't a number one priority for them but they still charge for entry. Chelsea has the highest ticket prices in the country.

So there's no contradiction between anything I've said unless you like to pull quotes and take each out of context and play dumb pretending you think there's absolutely no difference between the oil billionaires of the middle east and russia and every other football club owner in the country, or at least are pedantic enough to want that difference pointed out during every discussion.

Sir A1ex

You've completely falsified and misrepresented my argument, deliberately I suspect.

So there's no contradiction between anything I've said unless you like to pull quotes and take each out of context and play dumb pretending you think there's absolutely no difference between the oil billionaires of the middle east and russia and every other football club owner in the country, or at least are pedantic enough to want that difference pointed out during every discussion.
Bollocks. The whole of the last page or so has been you claiming that profit is the only motivation for somebody to own a football club (as is the case with the Glazers) and that this applies to all other club owners without exception

There's been no misrepresentation, just you backtracking as more and more exceptions to your rule were brought forward!

Aaron

Bollocks. The whole of the last page or so has been you claiming that profit is the only motivation for somebody to own a football club (as is the case with the Glazers) and that this applies to all other club owners without exception

There's been no misrepresentation, just you backtracking as more and more exceptions to your rule were brought forward!
It is the only motivation for most clubs. Even those to whom it isn't a priority it is still the preferred outcome. Even Saint Whelan tries his hardest for the club to make money.

If you're really pedantic enough to need the exception of Chelsea and City to be pointed out each time the subject is raised you must be a fecker to play scrabble with.

Sir A1ex

I think the difference between "most" and "all" is pretty key here, Aaron.

Your original position of "all" implies that there is no alternative and no other owner could be any different to the Glazers, as they are all and will always be motivated purely by profit.

"Most" proves that there are alternatives, even if they are in the minority. These alternatievs a myriad, from fan-owned clubs, to wealthy supporters to over-seas oligarchs on a power trip, but they are there. Which is crucial.

An I am a real fecker to play scrabble with.

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
The whole 'no smoke without fire' thing doesn't really work if you let off the smoke bombs yourself and scream 'Fire!!'

ALL of these articles are horrendously sourced, none of them have anything concrete, conclusive or different in them. You may as well reprint a story from January last year. It'll say the same.

'Qatar ready to bid £1.5bn...'

'rumour has it', 'sources close to the club say' etc.

We had the same with the Red Knights. Anyone with a critical eye could tell you how much a load of bollocks that was from the start. Yet it went on for months. Everyone adopted the same 'If it's in the newspapers it must be true!!' approach.

It boils down to the fact that the laymen in the papers cannot understand the Glazer financial plan. For them, the fact that it currently works and that the club is increasing revenues in order to pay off the debt, makes no sense. You only have to look at the response when they paid of the PIK loans. Nobody was expecting that because everyone was convinced they'd either take the money from the clubs accounts or they'll, as predicted 10,000 times over, make the club crash and burn under the strain of the debt. All that says is that Fleet Street and all their 'experts' they call upon, just don't understand how or why Manchester United are still standing and the ignorance is borne out of not bothering to actually investigate or look into what the business model is/was, but simply taking as red (no pun intended) the words of the uneducated masses who were informed entirely by the scaremongers.

The Qatar thing may or may not have any truth to it. Personally I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we didn't think an asset like our club would not interest those who can afford it. But I also think there is no inclination to sell. Why would there be? £1.5bn now, what of it in 5 years time when the Nike deal is set to be renegotiated by then, likely a much larger shirt sponsorship deal, increase in TV money, possibility of the club selling their own rights internationally to the Asian market....why the hell would you sell now if you didn't have to?

The press think the Glazer's 'have to' sell now, because to them, as I've said above, the idea of their business plan working seems an alien concept to them. To them 'debt = bad' so they must want to sell. But it's a total ignorance of the realities of the situation as the Glazer family see it. And they're, sadly or thankfully, the only opinions or perspectives on this that matter. If they were so terrified of the debt, they'd have come up with a different takeover model.
Fantastic post!

decorativeed

Your original position of "all" implies that there is no alternative and no other owner could be any different to the Glazers, as they are all and will always be motivated purely by profit.

"Most" proves that there are alternatives, even if they are in the minority. These alternatievs a myriad, from fan-owned clubs, to wealthy supporters to over-seas oligarchs on a power trip, but they are there. Which is crucial.

I reckon I'd beat you. :lol:

Crumpsall Red

I'm not dodging anything. I think the comparisons you make are absurd. If you want to compare us to who are our peers in the game financially, we're no different to them in our desire to make as much money as possible. You can either do that sustainably or borrow each year from the banks in order to pay operating costs or sell off assets to the government for huge fees and then lease them back for nothing. Unfortunately that last option isn't available for all of us.

I do have an issue with the Glazer's over ticket prices. I think that's a wider concern too across football, not just exclusive to us. If we had supporters groups who gave a shit about that rather than running around trying to topple the 'regime', then perhaps something may have been done about it before now.
In that case why ask the question "what makes them different from other owners" if you're only interested in "what makes them different from other owners who are the same" That's feckin pointless!

finneh

I think several people are posting under the name "Aaron". I've never seen a poster in such a short period of time make claims, counterclaims and counter-counterclaims in such a condescending fashion before finally spouting that his posts have been falsified and misrepresented.

I really want it to be sunny blue skies tomorrow
The sky is always black and therefore cannot be blue!
What about at 2pm yesterday when it was gray with bits of blue, or last Friday when it was blue skies all day?
That's a completely different time of the day and therefore is totally incomparable and irrelevant!
But my whole statement was based on there being a possibility of it being blue and not black tomorrow, which you point blank discounted...
You've totally falsified and misrepresented my statement!

UnitedRoadRed

I don't care who owns us as long as they're good owners. Back the boss in the transfer market, stays out of his way and generally shuts up. I'd have to have owners like the muppets at West Ham with the newspaper columns and need to constantly talk shit on the television and radio three or four times a week.
Or raises prices dramatically, makes cup ticket purchases compulsory and prices out many local fans?

Ben Smith from the Times reporting that it would take a ridiculous offer of around £2billion for the Glazers to sell up.

£2 fecking billion !? He didn't give any source of who "told" him this info.
Probably caughtoffside.com :smirk:

Crumps if you're going to compare clubs/owners then at least compare us to a club in the same ballpark as us...
City drop prices. They're our main competition for future matchgoers, no?

Others that don't appear to have been interested in profit:
Randy Lerner
Steve Gibson
Ellis Short
Mohamed Al-Fayed
Peter Coates
Lewis/Ashcroft
Steve Morgan
Jeremy Peace
Delia

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A very good analogy, it is very much like comparing a flat owner to someone who owns a mansion.

Regardless of whether you own a flat or a mansion, your motivation will be one of two things (or a combination of both, most likely). You may own it to live in and enjoy, without planning to make money out of it (though it's nice if the price goes up etc). Or you may own it purely as an investment, or to rent out, in whihc case the decision is purely financial.

And it makes no difference whether it's the flat or the mansion, in both cases both possible motivations exist.

Thank you for making this so clear!
Eh? that analogy was to do with the difference in running costs and the difference in the amount it would cost to obtain without going into debt, I appreciate the fact that there's a minute chance that you could have misinterpreted me, even though I did mention the difference already... perhaps you only read the one post?

That is simply not true.

Mark Zuckerberg is reckoned to be worth something like £12.5bn (wource wikipedia - obviously a bit finger in teh air but a pretty reasonable estimate), so we'll use that as the personal wealth we're talking about.
There's very little you can actually do with that much money, and football being my biggest passion, I wouldn't hesitate to spend one or two billion on United to get the club out of the hands of parasites like the Glazers. I know this for a fact.
And I wouldn't be left bankrupt, as even if United somehow became worthless I would still have the other $10bn, which I honestly wouldn't know how to start spending.

I'm not claiming I would make the same choices if I was going to be stretched to buy the club, but if I could easily afford it, it would be a no-brainer.

The point being, it is utterly ridiculous to discount the possibility that anybody would own a football club for primary reasons other than profit.

I didn't chose them, actually,but we'll go along with your arbitrary ruling that Blackburn, Wigan and Orient aren't big enough to be relevant to the argument (even though Walker spent pracitcally every penny he owned and won the Premier League in return).

How about City and Chelsea then? I'm not claiming that Mansur and Abramovic in it for the love of the clubs, but I don't accept the profit from the club is their main motivation. They are after prestige and recognition and / or a play thing. As I said a few posts back, it doesn't necesarily make their motivations noble or desirable, but it disproves the point that people only look at buying clubs int he context of the profit they will return. Just as Hearne, Walker and Whelan disprove the point too, in fact.
I was tempted to just not reply to this, as it's a wall of text about something irrelevant to my point. All I will say is:

Mr Facebook is not going to buy United,
You do not have 10bn laying around,
I never discounted the possibility that any prospective United owners might want to own United for reasons other than monetary ones (did anybody?) but you gotta admit its highly bloody unlikely,
Blackburn, Wigan and Orient are not big enough to be comparable (lets just say in my opinion, but as far as I'm concerned that's not a ludicrous opinion),
This is pointless...

Others that don't appear to have been interested in profit:
Randy Lerner
Steve Gibson
Ellis Short
Mohamed Al-Fayed
Peter Coates
Lewis/Ashcroft
Steve Morgan
Jeremy Peace
Delia
I give up, what relevance does this have to do with my point?

afrocentricity

Why even give any time to that comparison though? United is a club that costs much more to run, makes much more money, has much more fans and much more success... the comparisons, in my opinion, are ridiculous.

To be fair I think I'm being generous using the words 'much more'...
Just to be clear, this is why I think the comparisons are stupid...

afrocentricity

I bet Gambits well pissed... thread has turned into a right shambles...

Sir A1ex

Just to be clear, this is why I think the comparisons are stupid...
Sorry, it's not clear at all. Apologies if I misinterpreted your post but if so I honestly don't know what you're on about.

You're saying we can't compare United, and ownership issues of said club, with other clubs because United are bigger and more expensive, with more money coming in and more going out, right? (Or wrong?)

I say that's nonsense, there's no reasons there aren't plenty of points which hold across clubs of different sizes. Your point just seems a convenient arbitrary way of disallowing arguments you don't like.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick, please make your point a little clearer!

Sir A1ex

I was tempted to just not reply to this, as it's a wall of text about something irrelevant to my point.
Sorry, you can't backtrack like that. The post you quote was a direct, relevant response to:

"you don't know what you'd do with those kind of figures at stake. You could be left bankrupt."

If you didn't want me to debate this point you shouldn't have made it.

afrocentricity

A1dan... I'm sure you're arguing for the sake of arguing. You think that the purchase and running of those clubs are comparable to United and I don't, I really cant see where you're coming from but just to draw a line under this. Lets agree to disagree...

Regarding your second point. Aaron mentions the tendency of some to argue on hypothetical situations and this seems to be a case in point... I also don't see why I cant make a point in a thread without having to debate on it or read through walls of text, it's friday...

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
''The trend is your friend''

People often forget that the Glazers have owned their other sports team business, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, for the last 16 years now. They could have sold it on for a huge profit many years ago but they're still there, still attempting to make the franchise even more valuable. History shows us that when the Glazers purchase an asset that demonstrates an ability to generate strong and reliable growth, they hold on to it.

They aren't going to sell Manchester United. Not for at least another decade anyway.

Aaron

If they sold the club..what would they do? They'd have shit loads of money, but they kind of do anyway? If they have held onto the Tampa Bay 'franchise' (I honestly forget what sport they play and really don't care) for sixteen years now, it really does suggest they're not really in it for the short-term gain.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
There's been loads of massive developments, culminating in the club finally being sold to the Iranians of all people. But nobody thought it worth posting about in this thread.
Bloody penny pinching Persians! Still haven't bought us Messi.

Aaron

The stewards are always the first to know. I suspect they heard from the bin men. Today was collection day after all.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
I'd take it as a pisstake from most people, but Mujac isn't most people. Still find it a stretch though.

charleysurf

I'll apologize to the OP if this ever happens. But I'm still assuming this is all bollocks.

Aaron

I'll apologize to the OP if this ever happens. But I'm still assuming this is all bollocks.
But we know at least one steward has the inside track. I mean who the hell are you waiting for before you believe it? Would confirmation from catering reassure you?

The second a domestic assistant tweets on this I suspect the club will have no choice but to publicly admit it.

charleysurf

But we know at least one steward has the inside track. I mean who the hell are you waiting for before you believe it? Would confirmation from catering reassure you?

The second a domestic assistant tweets on this I suspect the club will have no choice but to publicly admit it.
If the PA announcer and the guy who plays Fred the Red say it's happening then I'll believe.